Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Azalahn Dél’Raguierá/Kaŭrrhem/Inn owner  (Read 19187 times)
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 04:11:02 AM »

Usually, familiars are mounts or a single animal companion. In some cases, a familiar can be a child or sibling. But multiple companions are not permitted because if you play in a story, the mods would rather not bring an entire group in. Also, roleplaying a group of companions is very difficult to do. So I suggest only having a single horse familiar.

Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Mini-mod

Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »

Ok removed.

But... The people working in his inn are mostly his old mercenary buds. I would expect people that have been trough a lot together to be more loyal to each other, like they don't run off as soon as they get a slightly better job offer, they don't cheat with the money (at least not much), in case of a big fight the whole staff will back the bouncer up etc

Perhaps that is not important, so they just count as regular hired staff and don't need to be included ?

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »

You would write them up a NPCs. You can read a couple of stories where they have NPCs listed and what kind of information they provide. The wouldn't be familiars.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Mini-mod

Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »

Ok all companions removed, the two elf girls "stole" his dog, so only horse left. I changed the horse into a Kev’lor warhorse since a Kassite horse would be very old and of little use now.

Changes are made in Blue
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:39:41 PM by Azalahn » Logged

Markus Boadicea
The Lonely Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 07:57:50 PM »

This has being going for quite a while... but there is no doubt it is progressing at an amazing pace.

Magnificent character and an even more magnificent back story.

This is just some praise to get you on a high.

No one holds command over me. No man. No god. No prince. What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal? What is a claim of power for ones who defy death? Call your damnable hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming to hell with me.

http://www.santharia.com/adv/index.php?topic=7491.0
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 01:17:05 AM »

He is an educated bright young man with an intuitive sense for good or bad deals.
He is smarter than the average man, and has a talent for making money. He is literate, can do the 4 basic aritmic operations and knows a thing or two about logistics. This helps him running his tavern/inn.

Hi Azalahn. Please explain this. How did you learn to count? I think you mean you have a natural sense for business and you are intuitive. This does not mean you are necessarily intelligent for numbers. You can also count money, which is good. And what do you mean by "logistics"?

Lastly, your CD has pretty much everything required. Before I give a first approval, run a spell check. There are alot of misspellings here. Sound good?  Thumb up

Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Mini-mod

Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »

His master sent him to "school" a few hours a day. where he learned how to read, count and do the 4 (or 2, don't know exactly how advanced/primitive people are) basic aritmic operations and a thing or two about logistics.
You said they have magic academies, not sure if they have military academies, but he could have learned it from his sister or his master if they don't have academies. His sister wouldn't be able to teach him about logistics, but he would be forced to learn it during his 10 years leading the mercenaries up in the north.
what do you mean by "logistics"?

Well it is supply and consumption, he knows how many suplies his unit will need, can roughly figure out how long it will take to get various amount of new suplies transported across a certain type of terrain.
To stay on patroll for 1 week they will need xxx amount of food, 1 horse can carry yyy amount of suplies that will last for zzz days etc. If they are 2 days march from home and continue the patroll they will need a certain amount of new suplies that will take a certain amount of time to reach them etc. He is not a logistical officer but he knows a thing or two about it so he can make a good guess that although not 100% accurate won't be so far off that they have to starve.

Let's say he is out in the jungle with a group of 10 men. One of his men comes and tells him :"There are some orchs around, 4 hiding and 7 in the open" then he knows that there are 4(fingers)+7(fingers)=11 orchs in total.

They run out of arrows, and he sends a runner to the nearest town to get some more, say a basket of 90 arrows. then he knows it will be 90/10=9 arrows for each man (if multiplication and division is not too advanced)

Let's say the price of 1 liter of wine is 2 copper coins and 1 copper coin=10 silver coins. He will know that the price of 100 liter of wine will be : 200 copper coins = 20 silver coins. Someone buys a liter of wine and pays with 1 silver, then Azalahn will know that he is to give 8 copper back and not 15.

In short knowing how to count and do the 4 basic aritmic operations lets him run a shop (inn) without being cheated out of it before the first year has passed, and it would be very hard if not impossible to lead 30 mercenaries without being able to count.  

But that doesn't mean he is able to stay in buisness in the long run. In order to do that he needs some brains. He will need to know how to distribute his workforce, when to decline a deal and when to aggressively seek a deal and a lot of other things. Just assuming we don't have terms like competitive edge, elasticity of demand etc, not to mention how to figure them out. So he just looks at the whole picture and has an intuition about what is a good price to sell a drink for and what should attract customers and what won't work etc.

He knows that it is probably a bad idea to advertice that he has a dark elf employed so he keeps her in the kitchen instead of using her as a waiter (damage control), having an outgoing hot young woman as a waiter might attract a few extra customers so he has put the "normal" elf as the waiter. He knew that he would have to investigate the situation before starting the inn, and clean the streets. He needs some brains to run his inn effectively.  

Having brains will only take him so far. Someone sells luxury wine for 1 silver a glass, well he is not located in the upper class area so his general customer probably won't be able to afford that, so beer or cheap wine would likely be a better idea, or perhaps luxury wine for a cheap price (if he can cut expenses) but what should he focus on? only one or perhaps all 3? That's where intuition comes in. hehe or he could get a magical time machine and do a modern day market analysis :)  

In short he needs both brains and intuition to run anything more than a small bar with perhaps 1 employee, and I would say his inn is a bit more than that, not to mention that he would have been outwitted, cornered and executed by opponent commanders within the first year up in the north if he didn't have brains.

Being able to count and doing the 2 or 4 basic aritmic operations is an absolute prerequisite for having any realistic hope about running a buisness, and I don't see how he can do the bookkeeping if he can't count and do addition. In fact it would be a nightmare if he can't do multiplication. We have sold 10 barrels of wine, 25 liter each, roughly 5 glass pr liter and 3 Copper coins pr glass. That would be 10*25*5*3=3750. Each barrel costs 150, so expanses are 10*150=1500 and lastly profit is 3750-1500=2250 (OK a lot of things not taken into consideration here) Or he can do it like : 3+3+3+3........ =3750

His education is to lead men into war and all his experience as a leader is as a military leader, first guarding and patrolling the jungle at home then outright war as a mercenary. so he probably has a tendency to look at most things from a military point of view and sometimes the things he has learned just don't apply. The general food he started selling could keep a soldier marching for a whole day, and was light to carry, but the taste could be better. His security is excessive, there is someone on "guard duty" 24/7. He doesn't really need the dwarf, but he is a "loyal soldier under his command", so Azalahn won't fire him.

Added a weakness:
He has a tendency to see everything from a military point of view, and sometimes things just don't work the same way as in the army. he is slowly learning how to addjust, but the military commander and his way to look at things will probably always be part of who Azalahn is. This gives him some extra expenses and costs him some income every now and then.

Lastly, your CD has pretty much everything required. Before I give a first approval

wow this is progressing better than I thought. but hold on hold on :)

Should we leave him with no god, can he follow the god of healing or must it be a warrior god like Ameros?

Sense of honor and the right thing to do
He has been heavily influenced by the few virtuous people around him while he crawled his way out of the black pit his soul had fallen into, and has taken various aspect of them as his own. He is not a military officer anymore. These days the military unit means his staff, including the dark elf.
Shouldn't I define that a bit more or just leave it as it is ?
In case I should make it more detailed then I was thinking about something like :
The Serphelorian "knight" would be one of them so he would probably believe in defending the weak.
The white knights seem to have a code of ethics that is pretty similar to elven virtues :
No other order has ever attracted so many elves as only this honors the ideals this race favours most.

"Be honest and true in all your decisions." (white knights)
"Follow the paths of Nehtor to heal the wounds of the world." (white knights)
"Respect the advise of the Elder." (white knights)
"Spend three quarters of the year in the name of all good people but one for your own soul." (white knights)
"Protect the weak" (Seyelite)
"The unit is a family and the leader is the head of the family, and will care for his men and women like they were his wife and kids" (These days his staff is the unit, including the darkelf) (my own)

I have absolutely no idea about how tall he is. If he was a human living on earth today then he would be about 2m 15 cm. But the elves are much taller in average than we are and apparently the variation is smaller than among humans.
As far as I can tell, I'm not an expert and I'll wager neither are you, your character should be dead.
Simple I will need some help on that one.

As for weapons the Kaŭrrhem use : one and two handed swords, spear, hornbow and shield.
I was thinking about having him pretty much as good as he can be with his speciality : two swords and
Very good with a bow.
Proficient with the spear, shield and two handed sword.
OK with the crossbow and mounted shooting. (The crossbow itself is an easy weapon),(Something he learned during his 10 years as a mercenary).

As anything they train their skills to perfection before they're considered true warriors.

I really doubt i can come up with enough weakness that are strong enough without really putting him in a mental institution if he has to be perfect with all weapons: spear, shield, bow, one and two handed swords, and no he did not have his leg amputated.  

Should I assume they train to perfection with the bow and melee weapon of choice and just settle for proficiency with the rest, or should I just say he had to leave before he achieved mastery with all weapons?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:35:47 PM by Azalahn » Logged

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 02:09:59 PM »

Az, what I think Mal meant about logistics, is explain it in a way a Santharian would. The word itself is fairly modern, so basically describing it would be preferred.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Mini-mod

Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »

I think you mean you have a natural sense for business and you are intuitive. This does not mean you are necessarily intelligent for numbers
Lets take a look at exactly how smart or dumb he is in various areas:

He is very good at visualization 131
He is very good with logic. 135
He is average with language 95
His memory is bad. 87

so his IQ is 112 just putting him above the average category. (assuming all parts are equally important and the spread is realistic ( it probably ain't))

He is very very bad in social situations
He has really low empathy
He does a lot of things that he knows are stupid, falling in love with his sister, taking in a drow, not moving on with his life, so we could say his actions are dictated by his hearth every now and then.
Not measurable in IQ and I really don't want to know how low his EQ might be

He has intuition for good or bad deals, and together with his high logic score I would say that he is qualified as a decent businessman. His current low memory is a result of his post traumatic stress syndrome so it most likely was in the normal category when he lived back home so he learned how to count and do the calculations the hard way, he had to "study" He is also good at coming up with unorthodox tactics that might or might not work. (During his mercenary time he figured out what didn't work before they tried it on the battlefield)

How did you learn to count?

In case he learned it from his sister:
His sister had an interest in books. Azalahn was more interested in weapons, but he didn't mind looking at the pictures. She wanted to share the rich experiences from literature with him so she started to teach him how to read, and later how to write. At first Azalahn found it booring, but as always he would do anything for her including something booring like learning how to read and with time he also learned to appreciate literature. Azalahn liked the stories about great heroes and military leaders. He sometimes told her that one day he would also become a great military leader. She told him that being a great fighter wasn't enough, he would also have to learn about numbers and strategy (She was always the smarter of the two) "If you are told that we are invaded by an army of 1500 humans from the east arriving in 3 days, and 2000 drow from the west arriving in 4 days and we get 1000 kassite riders in reinforcement from the south arriving in 2 days, what will you do with your army of say 2000 warriors?" she asked him one day. Azalahn didn't know what she was talking about, what was 1500 and all the other strange words? She explained the concept of counting and numbers to him. Then the concept of addition. He had 3000 in total and the enemies would have an army of 3500 if they were allowed to join up. Azalahn was impressed and realized her infinite wisdom, so he asked her to teach him, and so she did, first counting and all the numbers, then addition and from addition they moved on all the way to the end. (the end being whatever an appropriate level would be)  

If he learned it from his master then it is easy, he was just told to listen and learn.

(He would have learned this at the military academy if they have one, if not then from his master)
He knows about various military troop types, formations and tactics. Their strength's and weaknesses and how to use the terrain to his advantage and what type of terrain the enemy is likely to use to their advantage, when to engage and when to run etc.

And what do you mean by "logistics"?

Knows a thing or two about how fast suplies are consumed, replaced and how much they reduce mobility .

When planing or leading a military operation he has a good idea about how long suplies will last, He knows how fast horses, men and wagons travel trough various terrain, and how much heavy loads slow them down so he knows how much large amounts of suplies will reduce mobility and how far he can travel if not expecting any chance to resupply on the way. When leading 30 men for up to 10 days then he is not more than half a day off, so worst case scenario is that 15 men will have to go hungry for a day. The focus of his training and education has not been to take care of these kind of problems so anything more than 30 warriors for 10 days or special circumstances and you start getting into trouble.

He would have learned it at the academy, from his master or from experience.

The big question is do they have an academy where they train warriors to lead other (lesser) warriors in war? if not then I have to make some adjustments in the history section.

hehe I happily forgot that military leaders should know about tactics etc, anyway I can put it back in.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:22:52 AM by Azalahn » Logged

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »

I think you just made a mountain out of a molehill here, Azalahn.

We just wanted a basic explanation of what you meant, not the scientific or mathematical deductions you used to come up with the strength.

Expand on what you have with an simple explanation as to what you meant, keeping terminology like arithmetic, logistics, IQ, etc,  out of it

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Mini-mod

Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2010, 02:46:25 AM »

The intuition in his case just means that he gets a feeling that something is wrong or everything is OK, it is not 100% reliable but it is right more often than it is wrong. If nothing else then he will hesitate and investigate a bit more before making the final decision if his intuition tells him the opposite of what his logic tells him when doing a deal.

Having a natural sense for business
Like every other merchant he knows a thing or two about how to maximice income and minimice expenses. However Azalahn is very good at it so he is much better than the average merchant in both maximicing income and minimicing expenses, he is also very good at finding new ways to make income in addition to what he allready had, and finding cheaper substitutes for his expenses. Lastly he is very good at finding the right balance between price and quality. Of course when i say he is very good then I mean very good with the things he has to work with, but with only 1 year of experience he has almost no experience and methods to work with. But he was a very good with military strategy and tactics as a mercenary commander and he has found a way to put his knowledge of strategy to good use every now and then.

Good with numbers?
Well good or bad he had plenty of time to learn, he might not be especially good with numbers but he is not exactly stupid so I don't see why he should be particularly bad with numbers. He learned what someone figured would be enough to lead men into battle and luckily that turned out to be enough to run a business as well.

so perhaps I should just make it into 2 strengths.
and came up with 2 new. (well the military is old, but I think I should put it back in)

The ties between Azalahn and his employees goes far beyond employer and employee. He has faced and conquered death many times with his old mercenary buds. They own each other their lives more times than they can count. They have lived together in the worst of conditions. They don't expect or hope that the others would be there for them if needed, they know it. With the streetkid Azalahn and his staff have become the family he never knew. His staff is a very experienced and resourcefull group of people and the kid has eyes and ears where few others have.

Partial education 1: His master(s) gave him all the tools he could dream about in order to be a good leader in war. He is a bright man so he put the learning to very good use and with his 9 years experience as a mercenary commander he has experience as well. It would be fair to say few would like to face him as an enemy commander. Although knowledge of military formations, trooptypes and a lot of other things are worthless today then various principles in tactics and strategy can be applied to business every now and then. This helps him somewhat counter his disadvantage of no experience with business. He has also found that his ability to come up with unorthodox solutions works in business just like in combat, sometimes the solution is flawed, but if no flaw can be found when going trough it in every detail then it usually gives a very nice result just like it did on the battlefield. (Of course he won't use it if it is flawed)  

Partial education 2: Has learned to read, write, count and do the 4 basic aritmic operations. This prevents him from being cheated out of everything he owns and makes him able to do the bookkeeping, count the right amount of money etc. In short it lets him run the place.

Bright with a natural talent and intuition for business.
In general he is brighter than the averall man, but with business he is really talented. Like every other merchant his trade is about how to maximice income and minimice expenses. However Azalahn is very good at it so he is much better than the average merchant in both maximicing income and minimicing expenses, he is also very good at finding new ways to make income in addition to what he allready had, and finding cheaper substitutes for his expenses. Lastly he is very good at finding the right balance between price and quality. Of course when i say he is very good/better then I mean very good with the things he has to work with or better than others if they only had the same things to work with but with only 1 year of experience he has almost no experience and methods to work with. His intuition helps him counter the lack of experience somewhat. Sometimes he gets a feeling that something is wrong or everything is OK, it is not 100% reliable but it is right more often than it is wrong. If nothing else then he will hesitate and investigate a bit more before making the final decision if his intuition tells him the opposite of what his logic tells him when doing a deal.

The idea is that in total they more than make up for his lack of experience in business, turning him the inn from a hopeless endeavour into a thriving and successful place, so although not able to compete with the best then he is an upcoming successful businessman. (In a hundred years he will probably be filthy rich) If you are ok with it then I think I should just let him learn how to tead, write, counte etc from his sister.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:40:43 AM by Azalahn » Logged

Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2010, 05:02:07 AM »

No need for an essay, Az! Like I said before, the CD has the essentials and I believe it's balanced. Whenever you are ready, you can have an approval from me. But you seem undecided on some things, so let us know when you are ready.

Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Mini-mod

Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »

OK did the last changes in purple
His weapons stay what they have been for a long time, modeled after the Kaierian warriors, but sword instead of whip.

Specializing in 1 (twin Liuye dao)
Highly trained in 2 (spear and bow)
proficient in most other comonly used weapons

Added the mounted combat though, since he was 100% warrior and not really ranger at all.

Edit:
Going to leave him without a specific god. His codes of ethics will stay open.

Couldn't help it, put that silly poem back in and deckorated his swords (the beige centered text in the bottom)

Think that was it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:06:07 AM by Azalahn » Logged

Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »

Azalahn, we still have a small problem with balance.

You have alot of strengths such as weapon skills, stealthm a horse, an inn, and musical ability. About half your weaknesses really do not count as weaknesses such as sense of honor, reputation, your staff, military leader and new businessman. Those are actually strengths as I see them. I suggest removing some strengths to compensate.

Azalahn
Dance of Sorrow
Mini-mod

Elf, Kaŭrrhem

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »

Changes in Yellow

Changed the warhorse to a draft horse, turning the mounted combat to be a soso advantage.

Limited his general weapon proficiency to knives and unarmed.

Reduced him from very good to "just" good with the spear

Added a new weakness that effectively cancels his stealth training, severely limits his archery, tracking and survival skills. In effect it also gives him poor eyesight, low stamina and a medical problem. In yellow
(the low quality of the air, just means he has an alergy to something)

Added poison though.

Put in a little addition to his personality.

reputation, your staff, military leader and new businessman
Removed

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:57:13 AM by Azalahn » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]