Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anwen Puddifoot  (Read 11089 times)
Erián'melór
The Shadow of Death
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 03:12:22 PM »

Its not so much that you need to change anything, not yet anyway, as it is that you are waiting on comments from Talia. Personally, I have not commented on your char since my last comment as I'd like to hear Talia's comments on your abilities since she is the expert on clerics. Please try to be patient as Talia is currently busy as many of the members are this time of year. By the way, constantly editing will not attract the mods' attention as most mods start at the bottom of the forum when looking for a CD to comment on. I'm fairly certain that I'm the only exception.

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea.

J.R.R. Tolkien - "The Hobbit"

Anwen
New Santharian

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 02:26:22 PM »

Oh, that's just me beind methodical. ;)    I'm keeping  a record of what I've done so far, so that I don't mess things up, posting late at night when I'm tired (tbh, I didn't notice until today that editing posts bumps them, it doesn't on any other forums I'm on!).

I understand how RL can affect the amount of online-time. :nod    The reason I'm so keen is that I was hoping to start RPing as this Hobbit while I'm still off on my Christmas hols'.

Incidentally, while I think of it, I was wondering about giving Anwen a weapon (one that she has no skill in wielding, as we've seen :broadgrin  ), just for show. So I was wondering what kinds of weapos Hobbits use (famous lances aside), I haven't seen it mentioned in the entries on them *that I can remember*.
Would a long dagger be Hobbit-sized?

To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly;
to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common. This is to be my Symphony.

Edited by: Anwen  at: 12/23/05 6:34
Erián'melór
The Shadow of Death
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 05:00:22 PM »

You could think of it much as the way that Tolkien wrote it, with a man's dagger being used by a hobbit as a sword. Another thing to keep in mind when choosing a weapon is that your history should mention how she obtained it, which should be fairly simple for most weapons. Also, whatever little skill she has with the weapon, even if its just knowing that the pointy end goes in the other guy, should be listed as a strength.

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea.

J.R.R. Tolkien - "The Hobbit"

Anwen
New Santharian

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 05:20:22 PM »

Right, can-do. I was just re-reading my history and wondering why a rich family would let their only daughter wander out into the world without anything to protect herself...

To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly;
to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common. This is to be my Symphony.

Marvin Cerambit
Carvin' Marvin
Approved Character

Orc, Gob-Oc

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 08:01:22 PM »

I don't see any major problems with your magic, so I doubt you'll have to change much (if anything at all).

And you seem to have lots of belongings for such a small person to carry along. Ever thought about having some form of transportation? Like a dog or a pony pulling a cart?

As for weapons:
For the Dogodan:
Quote:
The Dogodan hobbits have next to no weapons, merely because they never needed them. They have never actually been in a war, or have any rivals, or even any threats from other races or tribes in their area. The closest they ever came to war was when the orcs attacked the Istarin Forest during the Third Sarvonian War.

The hobbits only carry knives and daggers, and hooks. However, the knives and daggers are only used for cooking most often. The hooks are used for fishing, and really won’t be much defense in a battle.

and for the Helmonds:
Quote:
Hobbits, being a rather peaceful tribe, do no longer manufacture weapons. Very few weapons thus exist within the shire, and those that do are fairly antiquated, being from SW III. Those weapons that remain include mainly a great deal of spears and lances, as well as a few short swords, build especially for small hobbits. Such weapons are fairly rusted and in some cases damaged, as they are over 1800 years old.

Daggers and knives are popular, but not as weapons. Instead, they are commonly used as cooking utensils. However, they are sharp and can be used as weapons if need be. They also have a fair amount of gardening tools which could be used for self-defense, if need be.

So if you wanted a weapon, you could let a smithy make you one, or buy a human-sized dagger like Erian said.

Quote:
Also, whatever little skill she has with the weapon, even if its just knowing that the pointy end goes in the other guy, should be listed as a strength.

I don't know if that really counts as a strenght (I doubt there are people who wouldn't know that), but it's certainly useful to mention it in your strengths.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~
Anwen
New Santharian

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 09:42:22 AM »

Oo, thanks for the info Marvin. :thumbup
My idea would be that her Great Grandfather Ordovic might have done some travelling in his youth, and gained a human dagger (sword-sized to a Hobbit) in the process.
Incidentally, Anwen does have a steed/form of transportation, as you put it - the Hobbithorse named Skye (although I hadn't thought to have it pull a cart - good idea).

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 07:43:22 AM »

I gave it a good read through and saw nothing out of place ^.^

Great job! And I wish you the best of luck. You have your first approval.

From what has been mentioned to help enhance the CD, I have no problem with. I assume Talia will pop in here to check out clerical stuff but looks good to me :)  

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Anwen
New Santharian

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 02:12:22 AM »

Thank you for the approval, Kalina. :hug
My only edits to the original, now, will be to include the long-dagger/sword, and any mods. on Clerical magic which Talia suggests, if n' when she can. :nod

Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 10:13:22 AM »

Hello Anwen and welcome to Santharia! ~Bows gracefully as golden tresses fall to frame elven features~ I am sorry I did not comment on this sooner but I am not a hobbitish person and know very little about them. I read through the CD (on more than one occasion :biggrin  ) and it is wonderfully written. I can not give an approval but I will try to find Talia so that she can finish here.

I sent Talia an email, she is always busy, but it shouldn't be long Anwen yet with the holidays I am not sure. ~Bows and quickly departs~  

_.·´¯)†he §pe££ ƒe££ Üpon the Çrowd £ike a Ðragon, Åncient and ƒu££ oƒ Ðeath.(¯`·._ Twen Araerwen

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 12/30/05 9:19

•º•The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon, •º•
•º•ancient and full of death.•º•
_.·´¯) Twén Aråerwén's CD(¯`·._
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »

I'll read the first part after breakfast!
Thanks for your mail. Twen!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Twén Aråerwén
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Ifer’hém

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »

I noticed you mentioned that you would like an email if a cleric were on the boards, Talia. Plus Anwen has done alot of work on her character in the testing threads and I was impressed just by her posts there.

I was writing "Synder Nytefall" Anwen and I was utterly taken with your work on this CD.:clap  

_.·´¯)†he §pe££ ƒe££ Üpon the Çrowd £ike a Ðragon, Åncient and ƒu££ oƒ Ðeath.(¯`·._ Twen Araerwen

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 12/30/05 11:11

•º•The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon, •º•
•º•ancient and full of death.•º•
_.·´¯) Twén Aråerwén's CD(¯`·._
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 09:11:22 PM »

Before I even start to read I must say, this CD is lovely made and shows how much effort you put in it! One of the best I ever saw concerning the appearance

Overview:

Anwen is a scholarly bard, intuitive believer and follower of Dalireen. Her affluent family is of mixed blood, although she has no airs and graces, hailing from the Dogodan Shire. Anwen is tall and slim, for a Hobbit, with exceptional talent when it comes to the arts, music, dancing, etc., and taking care of others. She rides a Sarvonian draught pony, named Skye, and has a rabbit familiar named Patch.

Physical Appearance:

Anwen looks a bit different from the other Hobbits in her home, the Acornlands. This is because both her parents are “foreign” Hobbits. Anwen has inherited many attributes from her Helmondsshire mother. She is tall (a couple of nailsbreadths over 1 ped) and blue-eyed, with particularly luxuriant, wavy blonde hair, like spun gold.

Despite this, she is nothing special to look at. Her skin is paler than most Hobbits', because she likes being inside as much as being out. From her father, she has inherited freckles (unlike the peachy complexions of Dogodan-Hobbits) and a broad, potato-like nose (as some have uncharitably noted).

Her love of dancing means Anwen has a less ample belly than even the svelte Dogodan Hobbits usually have (she weighs about 50ods), and long periods spent pressing books avidly to her face means that she has become short-sighted (and occasionally has to wear pince-nez).

Anwen's teeth and hair look bright next to her pale-skinned face (which usually has a pink flush in her cheeks), and there's a slightly bruised quality to her eyes which makes them very expressive. Anwen has slim hips and broad, high cheekbones, giving her face a somewhat feline quality. She isn't too attractive to other Hobbits, until you take her personality into consideration.

A nice de*****ion, but the mentioning of her hips in the same sentence as her high cheekbones did disturb me a bit... Take the hips out and don‘t place them in your face! :lol  

Clothes:

Anwen's “clerical” robes (made by her mother) basically consist of a padded patchwork coat, each square a different colour of the rainbow. Inside the odd square, symbols of Dalireen are embroidered – a white Aelirel in flight, a leaping rabbit, a blooming Dalferia, a bounding deer – and little copper bells are sewn all along its hem and cuffs.

Under the rainbow coat, she wears a light summer dress – unremarkable, usually in pinks, blues or purple – but split to the hip on either leg! Underneath the dress, she wears half-mast breeches, which tie behind the knee – the splits in the dress are for easier pony-riding!

Because her modified dresses are made for the summer, Anwen sometimes wears a jumper underneath, during the winter months. She wears no shoes (what respectable Hobbit girl would?), although she does have a leather belt. There's a pattern of oak leaves (symbol of her shire) etched into it, and on it she hangs her knife and hobbitweed pouch.

All Anwen's clothes are covered in pockets (some visible, some not). The only jewellery she has is an anklet, which she made herself, of shells and silver bells, and a silver brooch, made in the shape of a Gnarco toad, with an amethyst set into the back. This, she usually uses to fasten cloaks or keep a detachable hood secured.

Personality:

Anwen is generous and very rarely untruthful, in fact she's so open about everything, the whole world knows what she's up to. Anwen has marvellous intuitions, and is pretty clever because she's so interested in everything.

Broad-minded and lacking in prejudice, she's fascinated by even the strangest of people. With her optimism and humour, she's often the life and soul of the party (while she's in a good mood!) However, Anwen can also get quite downhearted, crabby and awkward on occasion, (but not usually for long).

She can be rude to others, but only because she cannot resist speaking what she sees as the truth, even if it causes embarrassment (usually her own). However, her tactlessness is usually innocent and she has no desire to hurt.

Money is not her god – Anwen would work for a pittance if she felt inspired. Her values are spiritual rather than material. Higher education attracts her because Anwen needs to feel free and unfettered. Despite all this intellectualism and need for freedom, Anwen has a deep need to be cuddled, and she needs to be supported emotionally.

She's quite shy and reserved (for a Hobbit) most of the time, unless she's with family, or caught up in “creating”, in which case she livens up considerably! Anwen worries a lot more about life than she lets on, and has a very rarely-seen violent temper.

She has low self-esteem, which she keeps concealed by a fa&#263;ade of over-confidence and cheerfulness. She hates confrontation, will cry when shouted at, but can be venomous about people she dislikes or sees as being stupid/insensible. A sure-fire way to get Anwen to excel at something (outstripping other people) is to suggest that she's not capable enough to do it.

She is a loyal and true friend, even when neglected or treated unfairly she will not stop being there for others...

Strengths:

1. The Arts – [which can be used to earn coin in times of hardship]. Whether through Dalireen's interference or not, Anwen is spectacularly gifted in anything creative. Her drawings and paintings could arguably be mistaken for real, and bumped into (were it not for the fact that she often includes unlikely images like dragons and mythical beasts). There is no musical instrument yet discovered, by the young Hobbit, which she has not instantly mastered. Her singing-voice has an extraordinary resonance and range, and the strange tricks she can do with it captivate the minds of many. Anwen has a definite ear for sound (and can do startling impressions of people and, even, animals). Her music is definitely the most moving of her gifts, and it's possible that (in a combat-situation) she would merely have to open her mouth and sing a sufficiently sad song to reduce enemies to tears. Anwen sings all the time. Her Music (and the belief that Dalireen inspires it), grants her courage in times of need, and her dreams are filled with melodies yet-to-be sung.NB: It's interesting to note that Anwen has synaesthesia. Musical notes make her think of certain colours. If she sings a song while painting, for example, the palette she picks, will, subconsciouly, add some je ne sais quoi which produces a stingingly emotional image.
  2. People-skills – Anwen's pacifistic outlook, friendliness, helpful attitude and usually cheerful temper means she can get on well with most people. Her imagination and mischievous humour makes her compelling to children of any race (*cough*nothing-to-do-with-her-cute-pets-at-all-honestly*cough*) and her (oft-hidden) yet fierce intellect means that she gets on well with older people, perhaps those more cynical. Part of her self-imposed duties as a Cleric of Dalireen is the protection of innocents and especially children. This is not something usually frowned upon, by any Race, and the parents of the villages she passes through often find this Hobbit appearing on their doorstep, offering her babysitting services! Unfortunately, the children tend to rabbit on about the wild stories and songs this passer-by reveals for weeks afterwards, which has exasperated some parents in the past... ^^

Weaknesses:

1. Gullibility – Anwen is stupid in the very special way that only well-educated people can manage. Not being as world-wise as her parents, she cannot see through other people lies, (it never occurs to her that others might be lying) and she'd blind to it when they're winding her up or pulling a prank on her. This was something her brothers, and, ocassionally, her father, took mirthful advantage of when she was still at home. Her temperament means that Anwen would usually sulk for an hour and then forget to be annoyed. This obliviousness is more dangerous in the world outside the Dogodan Shire, because there are swindlers and other such people who aren't as forgiving...
  2. Spinelessness – growing up among a crowd of five brothers, all of whom believed themselves to be right about everything, Anwen learned from a young age to back down in the face of argument. She is easily intimidated by others, (especially when they become angry) and willingly questions whether she herself is right, instead of whether someone else is wrong. She sees arguing as being monstrously impolite, and very rarely opposes the views of her friends. This spinelessness comes as a disadvantage when buying things (shop keepers can easily persuade Anwen that their product is worth more), and means that Anwen is easily lead – unless she feels herself to be among equals, in which case she can be as vociferous as anyone, once she conquers her shyness.

History

Prologue
Anwen's parents are an exotic pair.

Her father Bodil hails the Shire of Halbania, a Hobbit settlement on the island of Denilou, far off the South-Eastern coast of Sarvonia. It was during his upbringing there that Bo picked up the outlandish love of “boating”, which he shared with his father, Waldo Puddifoot. Bo's mother was of Somerled, (pronounced “Summer-lead”) blood, a family of Hobbits known for their wanderlust, which was also passed on to Bo.

Elsewhere in the world, Anwen's mother, Idony, was growing up. She belonged to an intellectual Hobbit family in the Silvermarshes. Her mother was of the Burrowdown (soon to be Whisperleaf) family, and married an affluent brewer named Meriwether. The family produce of alcohol meant that young Idony often had an excuse to go travelling (important merchant-ing to do, dontcherknow).

Anyway. There are only so many places a Hobbit can go, to be among other Hobbits, so it was inevitable that Bo and Idony should eventually end up in the same neck of the woods... Oak woods, to be precise, in the Acorn Lands, where dwellt the Dogodan Hobbits. Here the two Hobbits fell head over hairy-heels for eachother – Idony impressed by this broad, fiercely intelligent Hobbit (despite his rough, exotic upbringing), Bo bowled over by this tall, dazzling-urbanite blonde.

The two started courting instantly, and soon decided to settle down in their place of romance – the Alianian Hills. Bo's maternal grandparents (the Somerleds) lived in the area, so the young newlyweds moved into their Hobbit hole with them. They filled it with trinkets Idony had picked up, from the trade-links in Helmondsshire, and with oddities Bo had come across in his travels.

Bo decided on a job as Game Keeper, Hunter & Fisher for the village, indulging in a pass-time he had much-enjoyed as a young Halfling on Denilou. For this purpose, he bought crossbows from the Jhehellrhim Elves (Idony had contacts) and started breeding small, tenacious terrier dogs. Meanwhile, Idony took up the mantle of house-wife and hobbying (no pun intended) horticulturist, as well as negotiating the trade of her father's ales & wines from Helmondsshire, and spending time doing arts and crafts.
Do we have these terrier dogs in Santharia??  What about doing an entry for the dev-board, naming them a bit different.. then we have them ;)  Just say small dogs..

Early Life
The couple soon had their first child (a son, named Waldo), followed by Anwen, and then four more sons – Harfuld & Hugo (twins), Jowan and Ordovic, The Puddifoot's expanding family meant that their hobbithole soon became crowded, so the Puddifoots dug deeper, into and along their mound, until they had a veritable mansion-smial on their hands! It was here that Anwen grew up, in a warm, nurturing environment.

Anwen's five brothers all shared their father's boisterous exuberance, and threw themselves into village life with gusto. It was obvious, from early on, that the Puddifoot boys were a gregarious, mischievous bunch, and particularly keen to take advantage of the ale, wine & beer cellars which their mother filled with alcohol from the family business. They also shared their father Bo's liking for hunting and game-keeping, and, under their encouragement, the Puddifoots soon ended up with a pack of terriers (a manic entity, to be sure).

Conversely, their sister Anwen was a much more reserved, strange figure. Idony first noticed something unusual about her daughter when, one night, as she cradled the baby Anwen in her arms and sang her a lullaby. Anwen was not, then, old enough to be able to focus her eyes, but when Idony sang Dalireen's Song, her daughter's eyes lit up and she fell asleep with a smile on her cherubic face.
 Nitpicking: there are no cherubs either..

Anwen showed great aptitude for music and the arts, almost as soon as she was able to speak or hold a quill, as well as instrument-playing, and a lot of her time was spent devouring the books which filled the Puddifoot library. She was more interested in academia than her brothers, and, indeed, more inclined to listen when their well-educated mother taught her her letters – language, arithmetic, science, history, and some horticulture.

All the Puddifoot Hobbitlings were read to, or told bedtime stories at night (with sound-effects and impromptu enactments provided by Bo). However, while the boys often slept sound, worn out after their long days of exploring, fighting, drinking, hunting, fighting again, etc., Anwen stayed awake, fervently re-imagining scenes she'd just heard, and stories of her own. One luxury the Puddifeet could afford were dolls, and Anwen's most cherished present, as a little Hobbit, was the Dollshouse and dolls, with which she played out stories of her own (with friends).

A turning point in Anwen's young life came about when she first learnt of the goddess Dalireen, the Halfling patron of Bards. She had often seen her parents adding pretty trinkets, wind-chimes or candles to certain areas of the house (especially when she or one of her brothers said something innocent), but did not know that this was connected to any diety.

One of her earliest memories (apart from that lullaby) is sitting on the floor, near her parents' bed, surrounded by her brothers, as her mother Idony read a passage about Dalireen from a book called Hobbit Tales. Anwen remembered her heart hammering in her chest, and looking around to see if any of her siblings felt the same shock and excitement as she did (and seeing, to her amazement, that they didn't).

Some time later, Anwen went walking in the hills of the Acornlands. It was summer, so the daylight lasted a long time, and she wanted to hear the kyck-kycks singing in the pond of the end of the garden. She took a seat on the banks of the pond, crossing her legs, and looking out towards the horizon. As she did so, Anwen sang a tune she vaguely recognised, letting her lungs fill the garden with sound, there being no danger of being overheard.

As the sun set, shafts of gold and orange sunlight bathed her face, and, glancing at the pond, it struck Anwen that she herself looked like Dalireen. She gazed more deeply at her reflection, and suddenly Anwen began to notice tiny mistakes – her nose seemed smaller, her skin less dark. As a feeling of realisation stole over her, forcing her breath from her mouth, Anwen's reflection blinked... and vanished...

How old was she ?

The pond had been disturbed, as ripples spread around something which'd dropped into it from the branches of the white oak, above. Thoroughly shaken, Anwen moved to investigate, and eventually used a discarded jam-jar (waiting to be filled with frogspawn, by her brothers) to fish out the missile. It was a small egg. Usually, Anwen would have dismissed this as stuff n' nonsense, a mere coincidence, but she was never so certain, as in that moment, that there was something bigger than herself Afoot.

Anwen spent a long while looking after that egg – keeping it warm and miraculously hidden from unscrupulous brothers who would, given half a chance, poach it for a joke. After some time, it hatched into a baby Aelirel. This was all the proof Anwen needed. She took great care to read up on the feeding needs of Aelirel chicks, and sent members of her family out, all over the Alianian Hills, looking for specific worms, as well as traipsing along herself.

She raised the bird (which she named Aria) to adulthood, although she refused to keep it cooped up in a cage. Instead, Anwen merely left her bedroom window open during the day, with treats and a water-bowl on the windowsill, so that Aria could come and go as she pleased. Anwen took Aria's appearance as a Sign, and threw herself into bardship, conquering her shyness and performing in the local taverns, telling stories to the shire's children, and (of course) to her family and friends. It was a testament to her great natural talent that even Anwen's brothers had to admit she was good at it.

Recent Life
Some years before she reached her thirties, good news came to the Puddifoot smial. Idony's mother, previously a Burrowdown, could now counted as one of the Whisperleaves. Her original family had cultivated a new kind of Hobbitweed, (called, unsurprisingly, Whisperleaf) with unusual properties. This meant another small influx of wealth for the family, and it was at this point that the eldest, Waldo, left home. He travelled to the Silvermarshes, to see his ol' grandma and offer his help with the new type of weed the Whisperleaves were growing.

It was at this point that Anwen seriously started to consider her own choice of profession. She hadn't yet come of age, but her reputation as a great singer, musician, artist and dancer, among the Dogodan hobbits, had grown. Most expected her to become a bard, but Anwen suspected that, in her heart, she would always be something more than that. She prayed to Dalireen every day, and hummed absent-mindedly all the time.

She worried that taking up a paying profession might detract from her time spent performing, singing, playing instruments. Anwen voiced these thoughts to her great-grandpa Ordovic, and got a rather large surprise in return: 'Well then, Winnie,' (he said) 'Why don't you become a Cleric of Dalireen, like meself?' Being still young, (and, as that implies, slightly oblivious to the world), Anwen had not connected her Grandpa's frequent “trips” (to Dalireen shrines), nor the respect shown him by other Hobbits, to her Goddess!

After she had recovered enough to speak, Anwen said: 'Will you teach me, then, Gramps?' He, of course, chuckled, and agreed. Over the next few years, Anwen underwent a wonderful journey of discovery. “Gramps” showed her all his favourite shrines to Dalireen – including what became Anwen's favourite. It was the sight of a lightning strike, many decades before, where one of the great White Oaks had been cracked in two, and half-felled.

Instead of using the tree for firewood, Ordovic had expertly carved an image of Dalireen into the vertical surface of the broken trunk, and, on the top of the stump, a muriel of Hobbit children, and animals, gathered around to listen. In between these two cleaved halves, a single, multicoloured candle had been stuck and lit (and replaced, every so often, by Ordovic).The scorching of the earth around this shrine had enriched the soil, and verdant wildflowers, mosses and fungi grew all the ground and tree. There were countless spots, among the branches (now lying on the ground) to which little Hobbits could climb, and sit in peace, enjoying a new, higher vantage point.

It was Anwen's idea to fill the branches with wind chimes and bells, so that Dalireen's sounds really could guide a lost Hobbit child through the dark. Anyway, it was this place that she and her Gramps travelled to every day (it lay a pleasant walk's distance from their smial), and where she learned her craft. Ordovic taught her how to sing in harmony with herself, how to pray to Dalireen, how to mimic animal calls and peoples' voices to a startlingly accurate degree.

He also taught Anwen some of the rudimentry methods of healing – how to use her voice to calm others' down, and the importance of keeping peoples' illnesses private. It was at this time that Anwen started really using her Synaethesia to aid her art – a common exercise she and her Gramps did was to have him sing a song, and Anwen paint something at speed, using the colours conjured in her mind by the music. As time went on, her faith, and adoration of Dalireen, grew, and she began to recognise the little inspirations littered throughout the world.
Synaethesia seems so a modern word, even if it is derived from the greek language - could you just describe it in normal words?  

Anyway, on her thirty-third (important) birthday, the Puddifoot family threw Anwen a huge Party, with friends and family and basically everyone from the Acornlands invited (not unwholly connected to the fact that they expected her to perform, and wanted to see). There was much dancing and music-making at this party (not to mention loads of food), and her enjoyment of it all gave Anwen courage. On the spur of the moment, she announced that she had become a Cleric of Dalireen. The other Hobbits were, as they put it – shocked, but not completely surprised.

However, Anwen was now faced with another choice – whether to stay in the Alianian Hills, performing for and helping the same people, drawing inspiration from the same sources all her life, or to leave. Deep down, in her gut, Anwen knew which path she had to take. The decision was made for her when she awoke, one morning, and found that her bedroom window had been forced. The Aelirel she had then, one descended from Aria, was more domesticated. This one never left the smial, but it's cage was empty and a single white feather lay on the window sill.

The meaning was obvious, to Anwen's eyes – she had to leave home, follow her heart, in search of greater inspiration. It almost broke her heart to leave her beloved home, and her mother was unable to hide her own worries and sadness. All in all, though, Anwen's decision was a moment of catharsis. She knew that the family ales, wines and Hobbitweed would be sold in many places all over Caelereth, and that the merchants working for the Whisperleaves (hobbitweed) or Somerleds (alcohol) would be happy to carry messages home for her.

Being a Hobbit, though, Anwen knew there no reason to rush into things. She stayed in the Acornlands from some years (not so long a time for Hobbits), until the age of 40, trying to learn, from her fellows, anything that might be of use “on the road” (how to start camp fires, how to put out fires, which toadstools to not eat, etc.). When she finally decided that the time had come to leave, Anwen's parents made her two gifts – one, a beautiful blue-roan hobbithorse, and the other a pet rabbit (due to that creature's association with Dalireen).

So Anwen finally set off the Dogodan Shire (the day after a good long Goodbye Party), heart fluttering with nervousness, unsure of what adventures would await her...

You are 37 above...

Familiars:

* Skye – a blue roan Sarvonian draught pony (female).
   * Patch – a brown-and-white lop-eared rabbit (male).

Belongings:

Anwen is a definite hoarder, and carries a multitude of things on her when she travels...

1. pompion-vessels containing Ormelin, water & Fáberige wine;
  2. ink, ink bottle, quills, charcoal, sand, parchment;
  3. a nosebag, bridle, brush, saddle, horse-blanket, small bundle of hay;
  4. lute, violin, banjo, small harp, pan-pipes, mini cymbals, bells and a wooden flute;
  5. a copy of “Hobbit Tales” & her own bookmark-filled diary;
  6. a hairbrush, silverrod-scented -soap -incense and -beeswax-candles;
  7. a small steel knife, a tinder box, a length of silverrod rope;
  8. a Hollup-skin pouch, wooden pipe, Golden Halo & Whisperleaf hobbitweed;
  9. gloves, bedroll and blankets;
 10. money, maps, some apples, a hooded waxed cloak, a woollen balaclava;
 11. jars of Redberry jam & honey, a pouch of mixed dried Meldarapple berries, Sunflower seeds & pease;
 12. a small pot of Yahrle ointment, and dried Yahrle leaves...

beeswax= maliseswax

Magic:

Clerical – as mentioned, this enables Anwen to do tricks with her voice, such as imitating animal calls and human voices, singing in harmony with herself, reaching very high or very deep notes, etc. She can usually only do this when an audience, prayer or great level of emotion is involved, however.

Speaking of emotion, Anwen has mindsmoothing abilities (that is, she can replicate the abilities of a mindsoother - especially on upset children), which makes her voice relaxing to listen to. Anwen has knowledge of non-magical healing techniques, mainly herbal ones. She seems to attract children, as well as the animals associated with her Goddess – namely, rabbits, Gnarco toads, Aelirels, kuatas and deer.

Whenever Anwen gets lost, she prays to Dalireen or sings a song, and this usually results in her finding her way. She often dreams of the goddess (usually waking with a tune all written out in her head, waiting to be sung) and has the aforementioned synaethesia when it comes to music.

A very good CD! I would say, it is ready to go, but I have didn‘t have time to check, if all your details are correct (halflings on Denilou?? all this hobbit-history..) Well, I assume you did your research well and there are no mistakes, so I won‘t check this time.

There is another problem, which we might have to solve after you are already titled, for I don‘t want to hold your char because something is not yet developed. That are your magic abilities. Though a hobbit cleric of Dalireen don‘t has to follow the clerical education of the twelve, we could think here about more abilities. So far for the char it is ok , what you have, but it is not enough if Dalireen-clerics are developed. It would be great, if you think about that. I could imagine, that a dalireen cleric goes in the direction of a namer - being able to heal with her/his singing.

We need Kalina!

There is not much to alter, so I title you. Please mend the last few things I found and post, so that I see, if it works!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Anwen
New Santharian

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 06:07:23 AM »

I've really enjoyed writing this character, getting into all the minutae of family, possessions, personality and appearance. I was looking through photos of props from the LOTR films, and kept coming across things from Bag End, Bilbo's Papers, etc - which is what inspired the signature and the family-tree image. :b    

Anywho!

Twen: thank you so much for the lovely comments and compliments (and mailing Talia, obviously!) :hug     I'm glad you like it. Incidentally, I'm very impressed by Synder. She makes me want to run off and watch Pirates of the Caribbean again. ^^ *sings-and really bad eggs...*

Talia: thank you for the lovely comment, the compliments, and the spankin' new title. :hug      *bing* I've edited all the bits you handily pointed out, as well as adding in the sword, a sheath, the wagon for Skye to pull, and a mention of sword skill (or lack thereof). :thumbup    

That Naming stuff sounds pretty much exactly the same as what (I fondly imagine) a Cleric of Dalireen could do - there's enough scientific evidence of the healing qualities of laughter and song for it to fit. :nod    

And on the matter of IC clerical magic... I think, if n' when it's developed, I could easily do a re-edit of this character, explaining that she has learned more Dalireen clerical magic by coming into contact with the wider world (and people with more knowledge than her Gramps). A sort of "In Recent News" bit... ;)    

As for Jack Russel Terriers, I was toying with the idea of trying an entry on them. They're difficult to pin down  in words, really. I image they'd be describable as avatars of Armeros, Urtengor or more probably Arvins. They're definitely a Dwarvish type of dog, with their love of dark, subterranean places - but I also see their tenacity, despite size, as being somewhat Hobbitish. *throws up hands in exasperation* They defy de*****ion, that's the problem! :lol    

Anyway, I'll stop now before I go totally off-topic.

PS: Sorry I haven't answered sooner - the LCD screen on my Dell computer died some days ago. *stifles a sob* And I've been finding it difficult to get online ever since. And now, when I do go online, I seem to've caught Smilie-itis... :o

To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.

Edited by: Anwen  at: 1/2/06 22:14
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]