Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 1A -- That's Just How It Works  (Read 18947 times)
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 04:19:22 AM »

Ryldor wasn't waiting long before he heard… something... a cry of pain perhaps. Quickly he stood, took a step toward the sound and struggled to screen out the background noise. He could barely make out a few words, but something about the tone of the voices suggested conflict. He took off at a light jog, silently cursing himself for being so far off on his guess.

As he got closer, he could finally make out the distinct sounds of combat, a loud wail sounding, just as he arrived on the roof above the alley. He peered over the edge and surveyed the scene. The merchant from the figurine stand was aiming a bow down the alley at a figure that appeared to be unconscious. The woman with the silver hair was making her way toward the street, seemingly following a trail of blood. THE THIEF! Quickly Ryldor made his way down to the street side where has the young half-elf collapsed below, her leg bleeding from a long gash across the calf.  

If anything happens to her, I'll have to start my search all over again. He lowered himself halfway down the wall and dropped the rest of the way, landing just as the woman was administering something to the girl. "Hello Ma'am. I see you've met my friend. I think I can be of some aid." Without waiting for a response, he dropped to a knee and starting casting a healing spell on the half-elf's leg.

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Benjo
New Santharian

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2004, 07:54:22 AM »

Benjo was about to send away his second arrow when the figure suddenly threw some daggers at him. So quick that he even surprised himself Ben dodged the projectiles by shifting his shoulders. One of the daggers however cut his left cheekbone, and a red stream began to flow down his cheek. Now he´s getting it! Ben said in his mind and aimed his arrow at the figure´s head, not taking all too much notice of the woman next to himself. The arrow left the string and surred through the air, and it would have hit the man right in the head, but the thief, who was down on the ground, made the figure trip and so the arrow missed.

Benjo yelled out in frustration at the thief. Some moments later he strung another arrow in the bow and started to walk up to the thief and the figure, which was somehow lying on the ground. Ben glanced at the thief, then bent over the man on the ground and prepared to fire an arrow through the figure´s heart. "This one should do it...". Just then, a man came down into the alley and offered medicational assistance. Benjo was really confused right now. "Well, this one won´t need any help in some seconds..." he then said and pulled back the string...

Don´t talk unless you have to, don´t laugh unless you want to.

Luca the Thief
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2004, 10:51:22 AM »

Lost in a sea of blackness, Luca drifted in and out of dreaming.

"I'm sorry, Ano! So sorry. You're hurt. You're dying."

"I know. It's all your fault. You killed me. It's all your fault. It always has been. You're blind and lost. Useless. I would be alive, if it wasn't for you. I'd be engaged, remember? Happy. But no more. Lucky...what a crock. You're own parents didn't want you!"

"I'm....sorry."

"Sorry isn't good enough!"

The thief's nose itched suddenly and her nose wrinkled as the potent odor stung at the back of her sinus'. Luca sucked in a breath which made the back of her throat burn. She coughed and shot upright, slapping at her face with her hands to try and rid of the horrid stuff.

She winced in pain as her leg twitched, but noticed that a strange face was healing her leg. The wound was not fully healed yet, but the pain had subsided substantially. Luca was dizzy and confused, but then the previous events flashed like a slideshow in her mind

Luca whimpered and jumped up, running away from the dreaded alley and from the people helping her. "No..." she moaned aloud as her wounded leg gave way and the half-elf collapsed pitifully to her knees.

~~~~

Caranthir was bleeding and raging with anger. The dark elf rolled back onto his shoulders then switched the momentum to flip him onto his feet. Picking up his shamshir, the dark elf turned and sent a sharp booted foot high into the air towards Benjo's readied bow, a strike which would certainly snap the arrow in half if the young man didn't move.

In the same impossibly fast movement, he sheathed his sword and turned, moving with his kick. Blood from several cuts on his forhead stung at his eyes, but Caranthir ran towards the back of the alley and jumped, grabbing onto handholds that seemed to materialize just where he needed them.

He seemed to vanish into the night sky, Caranthir's tattered cloak disapearing from sight as he fled from Luca and her unexpected allies.

"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life"

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2004, 01:16:22 PM »

Aryia`en was quite surprised when Ryldor seem to have materialized out of no where. "Hello Ma'am. I see you've met my friend. I think I can be of some aid."

Aryia`en cocked an eyebrow at Ryldor. Friend? Realizing that Ryldor was an elf, a certain portion of Aryia`en's tensed mind relaxed -- as in the "if-you're-an-ambushing-accomplice-be-prepared-to-receive-the-kiss-of-knuckles-in-your-eye-sockets-from-me" reflex strung on a wavering bow -- and merely nodded as Ryldor started to cast what seemed like a healing spell on Luca's wounded leg. Perhaps she had given the residents of this city -- it stank and was horrendously uncultured, but still -- less credit than they deserved.

Aryia`en suddenly felt the cluster of herbs that she had held to Luca's nose flapping gregariously. As she turned her gaze back to Luca, she noticed that Luca had came to, and was batting at the herbs with a weak but frantic hand.

Aryia`en looked concernedly at Luca, about to inquire about how Luca felt (and she was even planning to be soft and gentle), when a weak whimper greeted her gaze and then Luca had sprang up, and then hobbled away from Ryldor and herself, only to collapse to her (Luca's) knees once more.

Standing up to her full height now, Aryia`en looked towards Luca with an expression of an elf who had just had the pointy edges of their ear sheared off -- by a sheep, "And where do you think you are going? Like this??"

Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 06:31:22 AM »

Ryldor almost fell backwards as the girl leapt to her feet and started walking away. Guess she's tougher than she looks. He was about to tell her he needed to finish the spell when she collapsed to her knees. He turned to the silver haired… elf?!? How had he missed noticing that? Nice job Ryl. Could you be any less observant?

Quickly, he considered his options. Certainly the young girl wouldn't back up his "friend" story and trying to explain he needed her to help steal something, might not go over too well with the two newcomers. Maybe I should make a quick departure now and approach her later. He looked at the three people and all were looking away from him. Taking a step back, he melded into the shadows and moved away from the group.

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Luca the Thief
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2004, 09:32:22 AM »

Fortunatly Luca remained concious, her hands clawing pathetically at the ground as if trying to burrow into the earth itself.

The thief heard the elfmaid call to her and she realized something. This woman, this warrior, could very well be her only chance to survive against Caranthir. Normally, Luca wouldn't mind about death...she never had. But knowing that such a ruthless and black hearted man would have so much power, all because of her, was a thought Luca could not entertain without her heart breaking.

The half-elf turned towards Aryia, her bloodshot eyes pleaded and unchecked tears dripped from her face onto the ground. "Make him go away," she said, her voice closer to a whimper than a whisper.

"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life"

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2004, 02:28:22 AM »

All sense of tightly gnarled annoyance and irritation vanished from Aryia`en as Luca turned pleadingly towards her with tear streamed cheeks and whimpered, "Make him go away,"

Aryia`en was stoic, yes, cynical, definitely, but not inherently cruel. The wary and annoyed expression on her face softened. Was Luca referring to "the friend" that had mysteriously turned up and started healing Luca on his own accord? Aryia`en turned back, and saw that Ryldor had, mysteriously, disappeared again.

Gazing further back down the street, Aryia`en saw the young human standing mutely at the mouth of the alleyway that they had just came out from. There was apparently no sign of danger anymore, so the dark elf must have either been finished off by the young human, or he had ran off -- both were of no concern or interest to Aryia`en.

Aryia`en turned back towards Luca, "No one is here, except for myself and the young human. You are safe from harm now." Aryia`en had time to look over Luca's features more carefully, and Luca seemed quite Elven to Aryia`en, but there was something ... human about Luca. Something churned inside of Aryia`en as a possibility sprung up: A half-breed???

Aryia`en found a sliver of curiosity creeping up. "What is your name?" She tried to be gentle, but she couldn't help adding with a raised brow and a disapproving tone, "And cease dragging your wounded leg around. You need it to heal, not to further aggravate the wound."

Luca the Thief
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2004, 01:53:22 PM »

Luca stopped. The burning in her hand had alltogether disapeared, no longer an unbearable pain or even the slighest feel of stinging. The half-elf was confused, but she had bigger things to worry about at the moment.

Luca stood gingerly and now that she was conciously taking care not to put pressure on her wounded leg, standing wasn't all too bad. Running a gloved hand through her hair, Luca glanced towards the alley at Benjo. By his relaxed stance, the half-elf confirmed that Caranthir had gone.

Luca turned back to Aryia and managed a smile. She took an unnecessarily low bow, her sweeping arm nearly brushing the ground and announced, "Luca stand's before you, miss" she said. But now, as opposed to before in the market, the thief's accent had almost completely disapeared, leaving only a natural twang nearly always evident in her speech.

The young woman never was very good at keeping her acts straight.

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2004, 04:05:22 AM »

"Luca stand's before you, miss"

Aryia`en narrowed her eyes. This wasn't the way the waif had spoken before, earlier when Aryia`en had "bumped" into Luca in the market street. Either the Luca that stood before her was a totally different person altogether, or Luca was the type of shifty person that Aryia`en tended to either avoid with contempt, or pulverize with glee.

But Aryia`en was still making up her mind. "Luca." she repeated the name, and subsequently introduced herself. "I am Aryia`en Evasha, Sýs'Pharanhé-króin of the Tethinrhim." There was no pride in her voice at her title, only a very faint tinge of melancholic bitterness.

Looking Luca up and down, Aryia`en didn't quite know what to make of the woman that stood right before her. "You seem to have gotten yourself into some trouble. Why would your assailant be after you?"

Benjo
New Santharian

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2004, 04:57:22 AM »

Benjo never saw the kick coming. It snapped his dear shortbow in half and even did a slight cut to his chest. The young man stood there in shock, but just for a moment. A yell of anger, followed by harsh curses escaped his lips. Ben threw the broken remains on the ground hard and kicked them down the alley. It took a lot of will to make himself calm down, and after he did, Benjo walked up to the thief and held out his right hand, obviously to show the woman he wanted back what she had stolen form his booth. Though he didn´t intend to really do anything with it, his left hand was wrapped around his sword´s handle. Benjo looked the thief right in the eyes, with a grim look on his face that really didn´t suit a young man like him...

Luca the Thief
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2004, 07:58:22 AM »

"I am Aryia`en Evasha, Sýs'Pharanhé-króin of the Tethinrhim."

"Air-what now?" Luca asked, never understanding what drove parents to name their children such ridiculously long and confusing names. Deciding not to fret much on it, Luca starting wondering what on Caelereth she was going to do now. But the half-elf's thoughts were soon interupted.

"You seem to have gotten yourself into some trouble. Why would your assailant be after you?"

"An old comrad. I think I owe him money," Luca replied smoothly, at least after getting past the lump in her throat at the reminder.

Fortunatly, before the elfmaid had a chance to respond, the young man returned with his right hand extended. Luca, smiling broadly, slammed her right hand into his, shaking it vigorously. "Why hullo there, sir!" she said, pulling her hand away and leaving two small figurines in his palm.

Forgetting her injury, Luca leveled out the weight onto her feet only to wince and lift her left leg up slightly. "It's a lovely night, but don't you mates think that we ought to, oh I dont know, leave?"  

Benjo
New Santharian

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2004, 08:29:22 AM »

Benjo closed his hand to a fist, and the sound of breaking wood indicated that at least one of the figurines was broken. His hand was trembling with anger. "Wipe that feffin´ grin off your face and pray that i don´t tell the cityguards you thieving wench!". The young man turned around furiously and went to leave the alley to go to his booth. It would probably have been cleared out, but maybe if Benjo speeded up...

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2004, 09:09:22 AM »

"Aryia`en." Aryia`en repeated slowly and patiently. She was about to repeat it again, but obviously Luca did not share her particularity about getting names right, "An old comrad. I think I owe him money,"

The words "owe him money" had a distasteful ring to them to Aryia`en. Aryia`en wondered how large an amount could the young woman owe her assailant to warrant her being attacked so brutally. She hadn't noticed the young human walk up towards Luca behind her, and the next course of exchange between Luca and the young human gave her a better idea of what she might have stumbled upon.

"Why hullo there, sir!"

"Wipe that feffin´ grin off your face and pray that i don´t tell the cityguards you thieving wench!"

Aryia`en turned back towards Luca. What looked like an odd half-smirk lit up faintly across Aryia`en's face. Aryia`en wondered if Luca knew better, or if Luca was one of those people who had insatiable urges to pocket anything that could be pocketed, and gain their jollies by narrowly congratulating themselves on yet saving their necks from another blade from a city guard ... or a rotten apple aimed at aestheticizing the face.

"It's a lovely night, but don't you mates think that we ought to, oh I dont know, leave?"

"You steal?" Still with the odd half-smirk. "If that is so, you should probably have your wound tended to before your next victim comes claiming their justice from you." Aryia`en shrugged slightly. "I know not of the healing arts, but there are herbs that i have which can help heal your wound. I'm on my way back to an inn. You may want to come along?"  

Luca the Thief
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2004, 12:48:22 PM »

Luca watched Benjo leave with an unsurpressable smirk on her face. "Steal? I wouldn't put it that way. I'm just....a select classification of the merchant occupation," she replied, followed Aryia back to the inn.

As Luca walked, she was noticably favoring her left leg, but the half-elf's face remained stoic and calm. The last thing she needed was Aryia to offer help. At least not yet.

As they arrived at the inn, or what was left of it, it had appeared that a fight had indeed erupted, and just as quickly rid of. The tender and barmaids were busy cleaning up the mess, so Luca helped herself to a half full mug of ale left on the counter as they passed.

"Have you a room yet, Airhead?" the thief asked, casually leaning against the bartop and taking a gulp of her hardy drink.

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2004, 09:07:22 AM »

Aryia`en strode into the familiar common space on the main floor of the inn that she was staying at, with Luca following behind her. Signs of the aftermath of a brawl being "cleaned up" were evident. That was good. Aryia`en wasn't in the mood for anymore violence.

"Have you a room yet, Airhead?"

Aryia`en turned to see Luca taking a swipe of hard drink from a mug left on the counter. "Aryia`en." Aryia`en stated matter-of-factly, as if she was already expecting to be repeating her name to Luca over and over again. "You have poor memory." Aryia`en had always wondered about the attributes of the offspring that a coupling between an Elf and Human would produce. Luca's question seem to confirm in some way that a half-breed (Aryia`en's choice of term) would be ... lacking in some respects.

Perhaps if Aryia`en had a deep innate empathy for those she considered to be "less well-endowed", and was the kind of person that showered new born puppies and kittens with waves of "OOOHS" and "AAAAHS", Aryia`en would have walked right up to Luca and patted Luca comfortingly on the head, and maybe even given Luca a warm embrace. But, Aryia`en wasn't that kind of person.

"I depart for my room. Come along. The herbs are there."

With that, Aryia`en started heading up the stairs to the second floor where her room was located, not even looking back to see if Luca was following.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]