Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 1A -- That's Just How It Works  (Read 18945 times)
Luca the Thief
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2004, 02:00:22 PM »

A tiny barrage of familiar pins abruptly found themselves lodged deep in the merchants fluttering purple robe, but one managed to find it's way into his hand. Luca had considered beating the many ringed man until his cries were muffled by his own pants, but the elf's pins would certainly do. Screaming in agony (though the dramatized wail reminded Luca more of a surprised woman), he dropped the child onto the ground and began frantically waving his arm around.

"Anya!" she exclaimed, using the first name that came to her mind, "What do you think you're doing?"

The child looked up at woman in wonderment, but Luca's eyes held that familiar spark that the waif saw in all her colleagues. And the newly dubbed Anya stood out of the way to play along.

Luca, afraid now that the frantic merchant would kill somebody by the swatting of his hand, grabbed his arm. She unceremoniously yanked out the pin and dropped it to the ground. Vigorously shaking the purple robed man's hand and patting the tiny superficial hole, the thief continued, "Shall never happen again. My daughter here will be sure to receive the greatest of punishments in our home. I'm terribly sorry, sir"

"That's not good enough!" the merchant screamed in Luca's face, "As her mother, I demand that you turn her into the authorities! I...want...justice!" he finished, emphatically lifting a fist into the air.

"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life"

Mavrus
New Santharian

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2004, 02:21:22 PM »

Mavrus hadn't really been paying attention when all of the commotion started.  It took the man taking hold of the girl, and yelling at her to get his attention.  Realizing she had stole something, his eyes turned cold.  But that isn't any way to treat a young girl he though to himself.  He was just about to run over when the man in the purple robes pulled back, dropping the girl.  It looked like something had stung his hand.

He ran in after Luca as she was explaining to the man about her daughter.  Luca's daughter is a thief?!  Mavrus looked at Luca quizzically.  The man then started to scream in Luca's face, saliva flying everywhere.  Disgusting man..  "My friend here said she would be taking care of the matter 'Sir'," Mavrus told the merchant.  He looked down at the girl, not speaking, but reprimanding her with his eyes.  

A small crowd had assembled around the scene, pushing and shoving to see what was to become of the girl, but Mavrus told them off.  "I don't know what you're looking at, there's nothing to see here."

Luca the Thief
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2004, 01:30:22 PM »

"My friend here said she would be taking care of the matter 'Sir',"

The merchant glared at Mavrus. "And I suppose you're the father! You and your wife, if you're even married, should pay more attention to your filthy children! So move already, I'm late to pick up my horse from the stables," the proud man muttered, pushing past the two and then through the crowd. Though Luca could have sworn the purple robed man stared at Butterball the horse with more than a little recognition.

Ready to leave, Luca looked down at the small little girl, surprised to see her big blue eyes staring up at both Luca and Mavrus with sincere admiration.

"I'm Essmy," the girl said in a quiet voice, "Thank you much, miss."

"I can only help," Luca said with a warm smile. The half-elf whispered some words into the waif's ear and pushed something into her small palm, but was sure to keep the merchant's fabulous rings hidden from Mavrus.

The child kissed Luca on the forhead, a custom Luca was somewhat familiar with, and then turned to Mavrus. "Thank you, sir" she said with a polite bow and then turned her bright blue eyes up to the warrior.

"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life"

Mavrus
New Santharian

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2004, 04:26:22 AM »

Grrr... How do I get into these things?  Helping a thief I saw with my own eyes?  The young girl Essmy looked up at Mavrus, and his eyes considerably softened.  It's those monarchs, and all of them in power that are forcing our younger generations to steal..  How can I call myself a protector of good if all I'm doing if fighting those who are in need of help?

"Thank you sir" Essmy said with a bow.  Mavrus looked down at the little girl.  She looked as if she hadn't cleaned herself in a long time, yet her clear blue eyes radiated an innocence, a sort purity that no amount of mud and sweat could take away.  "Stealing isn't the way to go.. you know that." Mavrus knelt down and talked in a comforting voice, "Wait here."  Mavrus looked around and saw a bakery just a short distance away.  

Upon entering, the sweet smell of honey buns and sugary treats assaulted his nose.  He went up to the counter and purchased three loafs of bread with the money he had, and then thanked the clerk for her assistance.  Coming back out to Essmy, he handed her two of the three loaves of bread, and as many coins as he could spare.  "I know it isn't much, but it's the best I can do."

Luca the Thief
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2004, 11:30:22 AM »

Essmy took up the bread in her arms and clenched the coins in her small hand. The little waif's eyes started to fill with tears, but she had to note that Mavrus' words were wasted. Survival without stealing was not an option for the street children.

The crowd that had grown about them had dispersed, but a handful of rag-tag children emerged from the bussle and stood beside their comrad. A youth boy came forth and took the bread from the little girl. After passing the loaves over to a few awaiting children who ran back into the crowd, he looked up Mavrus, Luca and Aryia'en (though the latter seemed somewhat preoccupied with her map).

"Thank you. For saving my sister and for this meal. That bread should last our band for days," he said, his eyes looking up at Mavrus as if he were a hero returned from battle. "If we could repay you..." the young boy began, but was interupted as another ragged child came up beside him and whispered in his ear. "The wait for the gates is long today. We could get you out of here within moments if you wish. We have--" the boy began to explain, but paused as he tried to find a way to elegantly state that he had bribed guards waiting.

But he didn't have to, for Luca raised a hand to silence him as she spotted Ryldor not too far away. Signaling for him to come forward, Luca turned to Aryia'en. "Well? No point in waiting around here for ages if we can get out otherwise."

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2004, 12:35:22 PM »

Ryldor was biding his time, continuously observing Luca and yet another successful attempt of hers to pull off another round of gracefully executed "acquisition". Prospects for successfully pulling off the big job was looking bright. Seeing Luca waved at him from a distance, Ryldor gathered the reins of the two horses in his hands, and started making his way towards the trio, whistling a light-hearted tune in an attempt to dull away the gnawing throb in his head.

Aryia`en had not paid attention to the conversation and exchange around her at all between. She only knew that the annoying din of shouting and threats had quietened down, but now a second wave of conversation was taking place between Luca, Mavrus and a chorus of childish voices, and mild irritation caused her to look away from her map as Luca spoke to her.

"Well? No point in waiting around here for ages if we can get out otherwise."

Aryia`en frowned, as if Luca was once again testing her patience towards stunted mental faculties, "We? I had clearly bid you farewell. I have no need for travelling companions."  

Luca the Thief
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2004, 06:10:22 AM »

"We? I had clearly bid you farewell. I have no need for travelling companions."

Luca glanced over at the homeless youth who could only shrug. "Whatever you say, Aryia'en. But..." she began, pausing and looking around at the crowd, "It could be another two bells before you got out of here. So, while me and my friends here leave for places better suited for...anything, feel free to stay here to make new friends of your own."

And as if on cue, a handful of naked screaming children ran by with a stout woman chasing after them with a wet rag in hand. Her legs pumped furiously to keep up as a flick of bath water splashed onto Aryia'en's face.

Smirking, Luca glanced up at the elfmaid one last time as she pulled Essmy up onto her shoulders. "It's your choice, hon, but as the shadows grow shorter, the wait grows longer," she called back, tugging on Butterballs' lead and gesturing for Ryldor and Mavrus to come along.

Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2004, 03:52:22 AM »

Confusion set in, as a tall, muscular man appeared to be accompanying Luca, while Aryis seemed to be staying behind.  I tell her to bring a female silver-haired elf. She comes back with a male human. I see taking directions is going to be one of her strong points.

Making his way over to the… Who is this guy? A warrior type I guess, but why is he coming? Ryldor patted him on the shoulder and said hurriedly "Nice to meet you. I'm glad to have you aboard." before quickly leaving the man, without waiting for a response.

Ryldor approached Aryia'en. "Hello again," he said as he reached down and lifted the back of her hand to his lips. "I'm very disappointed to see that you're not joining us on our journey. I think it will be an experience that we can both treasure. Is there anything I can do to convince you to come along?"

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Mavrus
New Santharian

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2004, 08:36:22 AM »

Mavrus listened as the boy was going to tell him how they were to get past this huge crowd and out the city gates, but Luca shushed him.  She then signaled a man to come towards them, which he did.  Aryia'en declined the offer to accompany them, and Mavrus thought that it was a good idea.  He didn't like the fact that she had been so cold towards him.  "I have a bad feeling about that one.. she has the looks of a cold hearted killer," Mavrus thought to himself.

Mavrus looked quite pleased when Luca turned her back on Aryia'en and he started off with her.  The man following them then introduced himself, "Nice to meet you.  I'm glad to have you aboard."

Mavrus turned to question the man, but before he had the words out, the man had run up to Aryia'en and had kissed her hand.  That sent a visible shiver down his spine.  "Are her hands as ice cold as her guise?"  Mavrus said to the man almost inaudibly.  Mavrus walked next to Luca, and smiled at Essmy who was on her back before he whispered to Luca, "Did your friend say 'aboard'?  Where are you off to?  I'd hate to leave such you with companions such as 'her'," he said glancing back at Aryia'en, "But I will take my leave if my services aren't of use to you."

Edited by: Mavrus at: 2/3/04 0:37
Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2004, 08:49:22 AM »

((OOC: LOL at Ryl's first paragraph ... and great post Mav!))

Aryia`en barely heard the words of Luca as she turned to leave with the horse and the tall human. Wiping the sliver of bath water off her cheek with the back of her hand, she looked at the handful of naked screaming children running around like rabid peanuts with disdain and returned her attention to the map in her hands once more.

But Shaer gave a slow, restless hiss. She liked the child-like half-elf -- the half-elf had an interesting smell to her and told entertaining stories. Shaer's mistress had made no indication to Shaer of staying or following Luca, so Shaer made a slithery turn, and started to trail longingly after Luca, which startled Aryia`en as the map slipped out of her hand with Shaer's unanticipated movement before she snapped it up again. "Shaer --"

Before Aryia`en could go on though, Ryldor had approached both snake and rider. Aryia`en recognized him from the night before. She had started to feel relieved -- finally, meeting a pure elf -- when Ryldor reached out for her hand and planted a kiss on its back. The unexpected move delayed Aryia`en's response as Ryldor proceeded to speak, with Shaer gleaning at Ryldor with much interest with her bright yellow eyes. The last time someone had reached up for her mistress' hand Aryia`en had returned the pleasure by turning the knuckles inside out.

"I'm very disappointed to see that you're not joining us on our journey. I think it will be an experience that we can both treasure. Is there anything I can do to convince you to come along?"

Aryia`en withdrew her hand, looking curiously at Ryldor. He seemed well-dressed, well-spoken, and hardly uncouth like a human ... what was he doing with an unpredictable thieving half-elf? "What is this journey that you speak of? Shaer here --" she nodded her head towards her riding snake, " -- seems to have taken quite a liking to your ... friend, Luca."

Edited by: Aryia en Evasha at: 2/3/04 0:50
Luca the Thief
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2004, 02:29:22 PM »

(OOC: Shaer liiiiiikes me. *does the happy transport control jig*)

"Did your friend say 'aboard'? Where are you off to? I'd hate to leave such you with companions such as 'her'. But I will take my leave if my services aren't of use to you."

Luca looked over at Mavrus, then disdainly back at Ryldor and Aryia'en. Elves. Two of them. Quick, small and generally useless. Now him...he's human. And a good chunk of one, too Luca thought, her mind chugging along at a casual pace.

"Mavrus, to be perfectly honest, those two make me feel a bit uneasy. I would actually prefer you stick around. I mean, unless you have some business to attend to," she began, then shook her head, "What am I thinking? Of course you have plans. It's just...I offered to help that poor elf with a mission he's on, but he doesn't seem much of one to trust."

Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2004, 06:05:22 AM »

Ryldor smiled brightly at Aryia'en. "The journey Luca and I are going on to Ximax of course. Didn't Luca tell you? That girl doesn't seem very responsible… Did I tell her? Wait here one sec." Once again not waiting for a response, he walked over to Luca and Mavrus.

"By the way Luca, we'll be going to Ximax. Don't know if I mentioned that." He started to walk away again, when he suddenly stopped and turned to Mavrus. "Is that your horse?" Ryldor asked pointing at Butterball. He continued quickly. "No matter. You'll need a horse. Can't walk to Ximax, can you? Well I guess you could, but who would want to? You two should figure out who rides which," the elf said with a wave of a hand towards the new rusik as he left again.

Returning to Aryia'en he said, "Now where was I. Right. We'll be traveling to Ximax. I've been hired to retrieve an object.  Unfortunately, I have to be a little secretive. My employer demands it. It shouldn't be too dangerous, but having a capable warrior around is always a plus, especially one as lovely as you. Obviously, you'll be compensated." Ryldor leaned closer to Aryia'en and lowered his voice to a whisper. "Also…Ummm… I hope you'll come for another reason. It would be good to have a woman around to help deal with Luca. A mother figure if you will." He stepped back and spoke normally. "I could really use your help. Will you come with us?"

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2004, 08:56:22 AM »

((OOC: Shaer is a nice snake! Though who could resist the image of a nice tender plucked chicken baked perfectly in the sun :wink2  ))

"The journey Luca and I are going on to Ximax of course. Didn't Luca tell you? That girl doesn't seem very responsible … Did I tell her? Wait here one sec."

Aryia`en looked on as Ryldor hustled over to Luca and Mavrus, this time with much interest. Unlike Luca, this dark- haired elf's manners were refined, and being a pure elf was certainly much more agreeble to Aryia`en. Mavrus was ... well Mavrus was human. "Refinement" was a concept that humans dragged kicking and screaming into their world, and then made to adhere crudely to their persons by means of airs and graces.

And then the tall dark-haired elf was back again. He seemed to know what he was doing. Aryia`en listened intently as he spoke. Ah ... retrieve ... employer ... this man is probably in Luca's league. A ... mentor, perhaps? But why would an elf kin concern themselves with matters as such? That disturbed Aryia`en a little. Though she took the dark-haired elf's judgements to be better than that of any human, he seemed a little ... human in his mannerisms. But he was charming.

Aryia`en could not resist smirking but a little when he brought up regarding Luca needing a "mother figure". Luca did not need mothering. Luca needed "Bar-dering", as in not "Oh, Luca, sweety, it's really not nice to sock other kids in the jaw." but "Luca. You are BARRED from ever going near another kid again. And merchants. And cash boxes. And candy stores ..."

But the question of Luca's deprivation of parental love and guidance was hardly of concern to Aryia`en. This dark-haired elf intrigued her. Caelum was along the way to Ximax. Aryia`en could care less for travelling companions, but she could always depart from them if they became a nuisance. Or dispose of them. Whichever was speedier.

Looking down at the dark-haired elf once more, Aryia`en spoke, with her lips curved into a faint smile, "I have no interest in ... whatever affairs concern you and Luca our half-kin. I have no wants from you. But i am heading towards Caelum to see a friend, and we will most likely be travelling on the same route towards Ximax." That was Aryia`en's way of agreeing to not disagree about travelling along. "I am Aryia`en Evasha, Sýs'Pharanhé-króin of the Tethinrhim. And you wish to be addressed as -- ?"

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/4/04 1:13
Mavrus
New Santharian

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2004, 09:56:22 AM »

Mavrus thought about these "plans" Luca was sure he had, Hmm.. plans.. I haven't eaten in awhile...  His thoughts trailed off as the Luca's other companion walked up and announced their trip to Ximax.  "If I had had any plans, they'd have been gone the second you said you needed me Miss Luca.  You have my sword." Mavrus said to her.  

Then the companion turned to Mavrus and asked if "Butterball" was his.  "Er, no, we picked up this mount for Miss Luca earlier on today."  The male elf waved his hand towards the new horse he had just left in Mavrus's hands, and left as abruptly as he had came.

Mavrus turned to Luca and asked, "I didn't catch that one's name.  You surely know right?"

Luca the Thief
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2004, 10:15:22 AM »

"I didn't catch that one's name. You surely know right?"

Luca honestly didn't know. She was about to reply when she felt a tugging on her skirt. The half-elf looked down at two young boys, one tugging at her skirt and the other enjoying the view. A playful kick sent that one off giggling, just as the other boy cleared his voice and spoke, "Miss, my friend has gone to set things up and you and your friends will be able to leave soon."

Smiling, the half-elf patting the boy on the head and lead the group over to the gates. Finally, Essmy tugged at Luca's ear and pointed to where the waif's brother and a rather unhappy looking guard stood.

"That means you can leave now," said Essmy, wriggling off the woman's back. Luca bent down and whispered something in Essmy's ear; something that made the child burst into laughter.

Looking back at the entourage, Luca waved for them to follow her. "We can go now," she announced, and taking the lead, her and Butterball slipped through the gates.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]