Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Caedin Ithild Shadowwriter/Stratanian/Wandering recorder/writer  (Read 3837 times)
Caedin Ithild Shadowwriter
Word-Weaver
Approved Character

Human, Stratanian

« on: May 21, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »

Name

Race
Human

Tribe
Stratanian

Occupation
Wandering recorder/writer/scribe

Title
Word-Weaver

Personality summary
Given to deep thought and a happy-go-lucky attitude. Usually friendly if a bit mischievous.

Height
1 Ped, 2 Fores, 1 Palmspan, 1 Nailsbreadth. A.K.A. 5'10"

Weight
1 Pygge, 5 Hebs, 4 Ods, 2 Mut. A.K.A. 170 Lb.

Hair color
Dirty blonde/brown

Eye Color
Ithild

Description
Of small to medium build, trim with a small amount of muscle tone but not appearing to have any great strength. Tends to slouch a bit, making it difficult to tell how tall he is. His gait is erratic and his gestures grand. His hands are strong, with long fingers and a deft touch. Easily forgettable in a crowd, minus his personality. He often wears a plain tunic and loose, long almost pajama-like leggings made from cut-down tent canvas. He also carries a homespun hooded cloak for warmth and rough weather. Almond-shaped eyes with softer facial features and many smile and sun lines. He has a wry and awkward but genuine grin that tends to disarm most in even the most tense situations; seeming to be both self-deprecating and confident in the same. Hair tends to stick out straight in all directions, no matter how it is styled and generally with bangs cut short of eyebrow length.

Character summary
A writer's mind with a penchant for constant search of understanding and knowledge. Easy going and laid back personality, tends to get along with most people. Can often be found musing randomly or waxing philosophically. Know to compose lyrical verse and prose on the spot. Likes understanding how things and people work. Would rather try to observe and analyze situations, but his personality throws him out there into situations to analyze on the go instead. Knows random facts and usually handy to have around because of his adaptability. Has a hint of wanderlust from his youth spent on the road, and often involves himself in situations to defend the little guy, seeming to forget that he is one as well. He does not however like to use violence needlessly, but rather searches for compromises or solutions beneficial to as many parties as possible; more mind over matter. Besides his hunt for knowledge of the world and a need to understand people, he also is on the hunt for his family; having heard that they went missing shortly after his younger sister was born to them.

Weaknesses
Not particularly strong due to him not needing it in his line of work, but not a complete weakling because of his traveling.
Cannot run for long or very fast due to a childhood illness.
Becomes out of breath if engaged in any strenuous aerobic activity for a period of time due to said illness.

Strengths
Strong and quick of mind, if a bit distracted and erratic at times.
Does well with quarterstaff, sling, and dagger; having had some basic learning in his youth from his parents and a need to defend himself on the road.
Has small lock-picking ability, useless against magic locks; this tends to get him into misunderstandings as his curious nature often gets the best of him and mistaken as a thief.
Can read, write, and do basic math including multiplication, division, fractions, and conversions; which is necessary in his line of work.

Weapons
Carries a shoulder-height quarterstaff with two iron caps that also doubles as a walking stick.
Carries a dagger in a leather sheath on his belt, balanced for throwing; this weapon has no special adornment but is a utilitarian tool often used for eating and cooking as well.
Usually carries an old-fashioned throwing sling and smooth stones in his pouch with which he is a fairly good shot; it's a common multi-use peasant weapon.

Possessions
Has a travelers haversack that he carries around with him, content to work in towns or cities until he gets bored or is no longer needed. It usually carries a flask, some hardtack, and other travelers provisions. In an inner compartment he has several wrapped-graphite pencils, home-sewn codex style notebooks made from discarded paper vellum or whatever other writing material he could find. It also contains a small magnifying lens obtained from a gnome his parents once aided. Also carries a small lock-pick set in his pocket, which often gets him mistaken for a thief if searched.

History
His parents were travelers and he went along for the ride, often camping out under the stars and reading stories by firelight. His mother was the daughter of a merchant and his father a traveling bard. He learned to read from his parents and quickly became voracious in his appetite for books. His parents became moderately well off in his late teens and settled him with some local merchants as a scribe, note-taker, and counter. They then headed off to continue their travels, confident that their son would be well enough set for life. He however had other plans, he saved up his earnings to build an account with the bankers and purchase the most basic traveling supplies. On his hearing of his sister's birth via courier, and then not being able to make contact with them he set out traveling; hoping to hear of news of them or find information from his contacts. After a few years of searching however he has lost most hope of finding them, tending to wander from one place to the next, picking up jobs and settling down for a time until he has enough funds to continue, or until he hears of a lead or contact from one of his parent's associates. Nowadays he wanders mainly because of his curiosity rather than his quest for his family, being almost assured that they have either perished or that he will find him eventually.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:11:10 AM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

I am the Weaver of Words, and the Dreamer of Tales...
http://www.santharia.com/adv/index.php?topic=7718.msg279973#msg279973
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »

Hi there and welcome ... to make it easier for everyone, could you please use the headings as well? No need to colour them, but they'll help us make sure everything is there that needs to be.

Many thanks

Dek

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Word-Weaver
Approved Character

Human, Stratanian

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 03:36:51 AM »

Added, thank you.

fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »

Hi Caaedin, and welcome to Santharia. you'll have to excuse my rustiness - i've not commented on CDs in a long while, and i'm trying to start again. so, suggestions are in yellow. By and large, though. all i'm suggesting is a little more detail, by which i mean i'm asking lots of nosey questions. ;)

Name

Race
Human

Tribe
Stratanian

Occupation
Wandering recorder/writer/scribe

Title
Word-Weaver

Personality summary
Given to deep thought and a happy-go-lucky attitude. Usually friendly if a bit mischievous.

Height
1 Ped, 2 Fores, 1 Palmspan, 1 Nailsbreadth. A.K.A. 5'10"

Weight
1 Pygge, 5 Hebs, 4 Ods, 2 Mut. A.K.A. 170 Lb.

Hair color
Dirty blonde/brown

Eye Color
Ithild

Description
Of small to medium build, trim with a small amount of muscle tone but not appearing to have any great strength. Tends to slouch a bit, making it difficult to tell how tall he is. His gait is erratic and his gestures grand. <love this sentence grin His hands are strong, with long fingers and a deft touch. Easily forgettable in a crowd, minus his personality. I can't see any description of his clothes here - what does he wear, usually? is it well looked after and neat or is he scruffy? what about when he travels - Strata is hot and it's unlikely you'll be rping only in the south - does he wrap up against the cold or tough it out? any more detail you can think to add is great - i know you said he's forgettable-looking, but a little more on what his face is like would be useful. a nice smile? sticky-out ears? anything. Just to see him more clearly.

Character summary
A writer's mind with a penchant for constant search of understanding and knowledge. Easy going and laid back personality, tends to get along with most people. Can often be found musing randomly or waxing philosophically. Know to compose lyrical verse and prose on the spot. Likes understanding how things and people work. Would rather try to observe and analyze situations, but his personality throws him out there into situations to analyze on the go instead. Knows random facts and usually handy to have around because of his adaptability. yay, a personality section (is that what this is? it says character summary but it seems to function as personality) longer than a couple sentences! that said, a little more fleshing out might not go amiss - i know, i'm being very picky now, but just wondering about aims, hopes, fears - the things that power this character.

Strengths/Weaknesses
Not particularly strong or a fast runner. But strong of mind, if a little distracted at times. Does well with quarterstaff, sling, and dirk. Has small lock-picking ability, useless against magic locks.more! usually we ask for atleast three or four separate strengths and weaknesses, each listed separately, with a couple sentences or more saying what they are, why they are, and to what extent they'll help or hinder a character. it's how we gauge if somebody's over or underpowered. they're also among the most useful sections (or so i find) to look back to when rping, and you've forgotten just exactly what it is your character is good/terrible at. ;) oh, and while i remember, being literate is a strength in Santh, as the average peasant is unlikely to be.

Weapons
Carries a quarterstaff that also doubles as a walking stick. Carries a dirk in a leather sheath on his belt; a blade twice as long as a dagger, but half the size of a sword, and balanced for throwing; this weapon has no special adornment but is a utilitarian tool often used for eating and cooking as well. Usually carries an old-fashioned throwing sling and smooth stones in his pouch with which he is a fairly good shot; it's a common multi-use peasant weapon. another nosey question, probably for the personality section, not this one, but still: how does he feel about violence? has he any experience fighting?

Possessions
Has a travelers haversack that he carries around with him, content to work in towns or cities until he gets bored or is no longer needed. It usually carries a flask, some hardtack, and other travelers provisions. In an inner compartment he has several wrapped-graphite pencils, home-sewn codex style notebooks made from discarded paper vellum or whatever other writing material he could find. It also contains a small magnifying lens obtained from a gnome his parents once aided. Also carries a small lock-pick set in his pocket<ooh, i'm intrigued! does he make a habit of breaking into places he shouldn't?

History
His parents were travelers and he went along for the ride, often camping out under the stars and reading stories by firelight. His mother was the daughter of a merchant and his father a traveling bard. He learned to read from his parents and quickly became voracious in his appetite for books. His parents became moderately well off in his late teens and settled him with some local merchants as a scribe, note-taker, and counter. They then headed off to continue their travels, confident that their son would be well enough set for life. so you've got him working with a merchant, and that's great - it's refreshing to see a character without a massively harrowing past. ;) what i would suggest is extending things a little from here, because in the rp forums, whilst it's possible you could slot into one of the two stories in Strata, it's unlikely (one accepts only v. limited no's of players, and i'm not entirely sure if they're after anyone new right now, and the other is closed for refurbishment). so what i'd suggest is that you give him a reason to travel. either have your merchant not a stratanian one, but working somewhere else, and then give your character a reason to leave (anything from simple wanderlust to being kicked out grin), or else have your character leave and travel. again, maybe he wants to see more of the world. the idea is that he should have a reason not to be attached to one place too strongly.

this is a good start, Caedin, well written and concise. really, as you can see, my only suggestions are that you flesh out some of the smaller sections. if you have a look at some approved character's CDs, that might help get an idea of the kind of thing. most approved chars have a link to their cd in their signature - at the bottom of any post they make. a glance over some of them might give a better picture of the scope of what you can do. again, welcome, and well done on a good grounding for a character. Thumb up

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Caithren
Jack of All Trades
Approved Character

Hobbit, Helmondsshire

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »

At the top of your post, in the right hand corner should but a button labeled "Modify" which you should make use of to alter the CD rather than reposting it in replies throughout the thread. It's also a little easier on the eyes if you use colourto indicate changes rather than bolding it.

I know I can't slow down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wicked,
Until we close our eyes for good

Caithren Shudmeyer
Grong-Grund Arfdway
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »

I think for hair and eye color you are suppose to use Santharnian colors
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:53:43 AM »

It's optional.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Grong-Grund Arfdway
New Santharian

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »

oh, well i was told i had to use santharnian colors
Word-Weaver
Approved Character

Human, Stratanian

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »

I used Ithild for the eye-color but was in a hurry and couldn't figure out which would match his hair.

Word-Weaver
Approved Character

Human, Stratanian

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:55:34 AM »

I changed the changes to red, any other tips appreciated! I'm off to read the world until I go blind.

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »

Can you please make sure you make all your edits to the first post in this thread? doing anything else will cause unnecessary confusion for all concerned.

Thank you

Word-Weaver
Approved Character

Human, Stratanian

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:11:38 AM »

Done, thanks for the tip! Also changed his dirk to a simple dagger, wouldn't do to have a wandering scribe with a short-sword style blade.

fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »

you don' t need to keep other people's comments in your first post, just the changes you choose to make. most people do their main cd (and their posts, when they get to rping) in a word processor and copy/paste them into the threads - it makes it much easier to keep track, and less likely that you'll lose everything.
other than that, the only thing i noticed is that your strengths and weakness are still a bit jumbled - if you look at an approved cd, it most likely has the strengths lai out seperately, under little subheadings all their own, followed by the weaknesses, in the same way. that means we can see how balanced you are more easily. at the minute it's hard to tell, as they're merged together a bit, and not much elaborated on.
nice work, though. the extra element you've added to your history should make for interesting rping.  grin

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »

Hi Caedin! Your CD is acceptable. I grant a First Approval! :nod"

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 02:45:58 AM »

Would you mind changing the subject of your CD to Name / Tribe / Occupation?

I especially love your Title :)

I have no trouble with your CD either apart from the subject of it ... here, have a Second Approval Pet

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]