Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: World Cup Related Stuff  (Read 6690 times)
Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« on: June 12, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »

No, you can't escape it anywhere!  Maybe I'll be the only one reading this; I don't know if football is popular with other Sanths.  Anyway, just a thread to post any comments or predictions related to the World Cup.

First of all, I'd like to say how happy I am that it's being held in Africa; it's about time!

And, perhaps more importantly, I'd like to make a prediction for the US vs England game...

...2 - 0 in favour of England!

Of course, I'm biased, and my nationality is probably clouding my judgment!   :P

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Toama SorInyt
Confident Nomad
Approved Character

Human, Sand Sisters

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »

No, you can't escape it anywhere!  Maybe I'll be the only one reading this; I don't know if football is popular with other Sanths.  Anyway, just a thread to post any comments or predictions related to the World Cup.

First of all, I'd like to say how happy I am that it's being held in Africa; it's about time!

And, perhaps more importantly, I'd like to make a prediction for the US vs England game...

...2 - 0 in favour of England!

Of course, I'm biased, and my nationality is probably clouding my judgment!   :P

The same! but that is because I like England and not because I know anything about football :P

Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »

I think 2-1 to England, and being half English and half American I'm not biased.

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price."
- Sun Tzu

"Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied."  
 -Alexander the Great

Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Ylaya
Temptress
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:21:09 AM »

3-0 to England. America...what? Go play baseball or something.

Jenna Silverbirch
Wandering Storyteller
Approved Character

Hafling, Dogodan

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:30:11 AM »

Man, if england lose the FIRST GAME there's going to be a nationwide epidemic of male depression. Plus I feel it would be kind of unfair as football is england's favourite sport and most americans couldn't give a stuff about football. I really hope we win at least the first two >.<

The downside of the world cup is that the pub down my street is going to be very very very noisy, and friday nights are already bad enough buck

A fun fact for you lot: England is the only team in the tournament that doesn't represent a state, as our parliament is the UK parliament, not a specifically english one. Scotland and Wales, meanwhile, if they had got through, would represent states as they have their own parliaments as well as the overall UK parliament.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:31:20 AM by Jenna Silverbirch » Logged

The world’s so full of wonder, it’d be a shameful waste to live without seeing as much of it as you could’ve.
Jenna Silverbirch -  Burrow by the Sea - Jenna's hobbit hole
Jenna's Creations
Anirdulf Svanskjun
Helvíl Helvíliás
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:37:42 AM »

Personally, I view football in a strange way. From my own tastes, it leaves me cold, I must say. I find it rather boring (mainly because I'm terrible :P), and prefer a game like rugby. On the other hand, I'm very patriotic, and so am desparate for England to do well.

So there you are. How to simultaneously care immensly about something and not give a stuff!

Also, nationwide male depression from a poor result would probably bring the country to a halt. Coal miners' strike? You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Gotta say, love the fact Jenna, but I can't pretend to know what the result will be. However, I like the sound of Ylaya's idea...

Anirdulf

Hoping He Hasn't Put His Foot In His Mouth

We are all eased out of kids' dreams -
Who can be ripped out of them and live loving after?
Anirdulf Svanskjun
Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:44:44 AM »

Ylaya, stop being so arrogant. USA just did better than england. If you can't accept that america is better than england at just about everything then you shouldn't be posting in this thread. It would be like of saying 'the north? Just in back to farming'

- Sun Tzu

"Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied."  
 -Alexander the Great

Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:57:06 AM »

Ha!  Accuse someone of being arrogant and then state:
If you can't accept that america is better than england at just about everything then you shouldn't be posting in this thread
Sounds like the pot and kettle.

Anywho, not a soccer fan.  Never have been.  It perplexes me that it is the worlds most popular sport.  Not that I'm a football (North American) or baseball fan either.  I'll just stick to hockey. *shrugs*

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Anirdulf Svanskjun
Helvíl Helvíliás
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 06:22:56 AM »

I suppose the reason is because you don't need equipment - you can play with a stone, whereas rugby, hockey, cricket &c all need relatively fancy stuff.

Anyway, I probably have no business posting an identical opinion in the same thread, so au revoir, messieurs, et a bientot!

And Thaelel, I recollect you saying you weren't biased...? :D

Oh well, football schmutball is what I say.

We are all eased out of kids' dreams -
Who can be ripped out of them and live loving after?
Anirdulf Svanskjun
Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 06:41:33 AM »

@alt I wasn't being serious at the time, but if you can name three things england is better at than america, then i'll accept it wasn't just a statement of fact.

@ath/arnidulf i'm not biased, I just like to support the underdog and I don't appreciate it when people mouth off about the usa. Although, looking back at my post it does seem a bit biased buck

- Sun Tzu

-Alexander the Great

Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 06:44:13 AM »

Just pointing out the irony in the post.

I'm not American or English, so I don't care.  But, most things are subjective, and I'm sure people will be able to point out far more than three things.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »

Well, a draw isn't too bad, though personally I think England played better in the second half, creating a lot of good opportunities, and actually deserved to win.   :P  Still, that's the beauty of football!

I'm looking forwards to watching Ghana's opening game tomorrow!  I'd love Ghana to win it, but I think it'll be 1 - 0 to Serbia.  I watched the 1998 world cup in Ghana, and there was a great atmosphere.  Come on the Black Stars!   :)

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:59:15 AM »

Are you from ghana?

Anyway, good luck to all those teams out there!

- Sun Tzu

-Alexander the Great

Thaelel Swordmar
Path Burner
Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:22:50 AM »

Nope, I was over there as a part of my degree.  :)  I'd love to see an African team win this World Cup, though I think it's wishful thinking!   buck

Eric's CD
Alayn Velion
New Santharian

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »

Until recently I wasn't even aware America had a soccer team...

and yet we tied with England, which I thought was one of the greatest SOCCER teams!

I prefer European football over American football. Soccer over Football in short.

Where I live everyone says that only ***s play soccer, which is wierd, you've got to be ALOT more coordinated to play soccer than football.

Most players in football-Hit the guy in front of you

Most players in soccer-Run like hell!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]