Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 2A -- You Say It Like a Bad Thing  (Read 22246 times)
Luca the Thief
« on: February 15, 2004, 09:17:22 AM »

Two days had passed of riding and the going was relatively quiet...at least once one learned to drown out Luca's mindless babbling. It was a cloudy and unremarkable evening and the party was riding at a casual pace. To the east, the Mithril Mountains drew a faint silhouette against the sun which was just beginning to set.

Luca, riding out front and talking cheerfully to either Shaer or Aryia'en (the half-elf had long forgetten who), looked up and noticed something ahead. "And then this soldier tried to kill the-- say, what's that?" she announced loudly, not missing a beat, and pointing up ahead. There, on the side of their trail, was a small caravan rested under the cover a large tree.

Luca squinted to get a better take on the scene. Resting against the tree was thin man, though the word thin was what he would look like if he lived the rest of his life off cakes and sweets. His hair was short and blonde and looked as though it hadn't been washed or combed in weeks.

And littered around the man were a dozen of...dolls? Luca squinted more and as Butterballs lazy and bobbing pace brought her closer, she saw what the small figures were in truth. Brownies, thirteen of them, sitting, standing, sleeping and just generally scattered among the human.

"I wonder if they're having wagon trouble. You know, shot wheel and the such. We should go help, give them a boost," Luca chuckled, "Gods know the small ones will need one."

"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life"

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 12:11:22 PM »

"I wonder if they're having wagon trouble. You know, shot wheel and the such. We should go help, give them a boost, Gods know the small ones will need one."

Aryia`en had been poring over her ever present map -- uncannily so especially when Luca got into a conversational mood. Luca's words caused her to tip her hat upwards slightly, and she narrowed her eyes and looked towards the direction of the odd little congregation under a large tree that Luca had pointed out.

The first thought that made itself known to Aryia was: Human. Irritation was its companion. The loitering forms of the brownies stirred no particular feeling of annoyance or liking. It was the presence of the human form that made her reply tight-lipped to Luca, "It's none of our concern. They do not seem to be in any distress."

She tugged at Shaer's reins to prompt her own.  

Luca the Thief
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:23:22 PM »

Luca had to admit Aryia'en was right about the distress part. The brownies that weren't sleeping or in an otherwise semi-concious way, were playing a game of cards in dead silence. The man propped up against the tree seemed on the verge of death, mainly because the tree was doing more work than his feet when it came to holding him up.

"I dont know..." the half-elf began, but Luca was silenced as their party was noticed by one of the brownies, who nonchallantly slid off her perch on the wagon. The tiny figure poked a sleeping dog with a stick and hopped onto the mutt's back, prodding it walk.

After an agonizingly slow (most of the agony experienced by the dog itself as Luca could have sworn to hear the mutt's joints creak with every step) approach, the brownie woman hopped off the dog (much to it's releif) and bowed low.

"Ho there, strangers, yip!" she announced, in an incredibly alto voice. "You seema have come along our mite small friendly group o' friendly friends, yip"

Luca could only smile down at the little one. Her short brown-red hair was tied up in a tight tail to the side of her head, which bobbled about every time the woman spoke.

"Er...who are you?" Luca asked as Butterball stared at the bouncing puff of brown-red hair.

"Oh! Rude rude, yip. I'm Ahnii Bubblebranch, yip. How would you lot like to come long? Yip...looks like rain, it does. And I bet ol' Adam would like some big folk company," Ahnii replied, looking back at the human propped against the tree then up at Mavrus, the largest of their party. "Oh yes. Big big folk!"

Ahnii hopped back onto her "steed" and began circling the four upon the shaggy gray dog.

Luca muttered to Mavrus and Ryldor, "Well I don't suppose we can much as say no. I have some manners," she said with a glance at Aryia'en who was in easy hearing range, "unlike some people I know."

"Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life"

Mavrus
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 03:12:22 PM »

Mavrus looked down at the brownies.  They were all sitting around, playing cards, and sleeping.  Nothing about the caravan interested Mavrus, but he followed Luca in case he was needed for something.  One of the brownies who saw their group approached them on an extremly slow walking dog.  She named herself Ahnii.  She said they could use some company.  "I guess it couldn't hurt to give this "Adam" some company," Mavrus said, "as Ahnii said, it does look like it is going to rain.  Should we set up camp here tonight?  Saftey in numbers I guess.."  Mavrus's hand slowly went over to his sword.  He didn't have any reason to not trust the caravan, but then again, he didn't have any reason to truth them either.  Better safe than sorry.. Mavrus thought.

Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 05:29:22 AM »

Brownies? I can't remember the last time I saw a group of them. I wonder if they have anything of value. Between Luca and I, we could probably clean them out before they realized anything was wrong. He turned his gaze to Luca, hoping to see a gleam in her eye, but content to just talk.

He scanned the strange group again. Riding dogs around. What's wrong with them? Hmmm… what's a human doing with them? He looks like he can hardly stand. Finally, the mage looked at the group playing. Some brownie game no doubt. Why are we wasting our time… are those cards? he thought with new found interest.

He quickly dropped off of Shadow and rubbed the Rusik's back, while addressing the brownie in front of him. "Well of course we can't say no," he said, ignoring Luca's taunt at Aryia. "We're always looking for new friends. Mavrus had a great idea. We could camp here for the night, share some tales, maybe play some cards… if that's alright with you Ahnii."

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 09:34:22 AM »

Shaer was about to slide forth, when a shaggy dog with a bite-sized, oddly shaped, animated figure on its back sauntered directly upon its path. Snakes had really poor vision, and Shaer couldn't quite make out the human-like features of the brownie. Aryia`en had overheard the conversation between Ahnii, Luca, Mavrus and Ryldor, but was quite set on moving forth. Shaer had abruptly stopped however, and that had allowed Aryia`en to direct another sweeping glance at the odd congregation that they had stumbled upon, and reassess the situation.

Shaer purred at Aryia`en in a ticklish tone, which caused Aryia`en to direct a steely gaze at Luca. Shaer had grown quite attached to the half-elf. She wanted to see what Luca was up to. Shaer hoped that Luca had found her dinner. These were a new kind of ... fowl to Shaer, these little ... nuggets of ... odd shapes laid out all under that big tree, sssssssso tantalizzzzzzzzzzzzing ...

"Very well." Aryia`en reluctantly consented to Shaer's ... beseeching request. She would stay her distance from the human. She looked towards the other three, to see their next course of action.  

Luca the Thief
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 02:46:22 PM »

Ahnii brought the scrappy mutt out in front of the party. "Oh excellent excellent, yip!" she exclaimed, just as the brownie swivelled atop the old dog and led the group over to the tree.

Luca's gaze scanned over the scattered collection of brownies, but her attention finally drawn to those playing cards with a worn deck.

"Er...what are you playing?" Luca asked, leaning curiously over the game.

"Great House," three of the brownies replied in unison, the others staring intently at either their hand or opponent.

"Ah," the half-elf said, noting that there was no pot in the center. Hmph...what's the point of playing unless there's cash involved? she thought to herself as Luca shuffled over to the human.

The thief moved over to the human propped up against the tree. He didn't seem to notice her presence at first, but the tall thin man eventually spotted Luca from beneath droopy eyelids. The corners of his lips twitched for a moment, then, as if remembering how, broke into a smile.

"Ah...'ello there, love," he muttered, the stench of ale drifting casually upon his breath, "Me name's Adam...wuz a pretty lass like yo'self doing in a dusty old castle li' this?"

"I'm, um..." the thief replied hesitantly, casting a desperate glance over at her companions and mouthing the words: A little help here?

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 08:34:22 AM »

((OOC: Alright gentlemen, get in there and save Luca from an awkward situation and the onslaught of foul breath ... i'll leave that to you two :wink2   ))

Aryia`en reluctantly followed Shaer's lead who followed Luca's lead who followed Ahnii's lead. Her attention was immediately drawn to the curious sight of five brownies sitting around in a circular pattern and staring at cards that were half their size looming in front of them.

As Aryia`en peered inquisitively over the little figures each with 4-6 cards expertly positioned in front of them despite the awkward size, Aryia`en had the sudden urge to flick a pin their way and watch the cards topple in a merry line atop each other. She didn't. And thus the great game of Toppled House, which would be instrumental in a spectacularly high stakes bet in which the womanizing son of the daughter of the cousin of the brother of the uncle of the friend of the Duke of New-New-Santhala would have lost the New-New-Santhalian library to the visiting Kuglimz emissaries ... was never founded.

Instead, Aryia`en leaned further forward to observe the ongoing game as Luca wandered off. "What is this ... 'Great House' indulgence of yours?"

Meanwhile, Shaer had slithered in front of a figure of a brownie that was fast asleep, and peered her bright yellow eyes at him, "Ssssssssssss?"

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/19/04 1:00
Mavrus
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 04:05:22 AM »

Mavrus followed Luca over to the cadaverous-looking man sitting against the tree.  Not seeming to be aware of anything going on around him, he smiled as Luca approached.  In a rather weak, drunk fashion, the gaunt man introduced himself as Adam.  Er.. did he say something about a castle? Mavrus thought to himself.  Looking around, instead of the dusty stone walls of a castle Adam described, they were obviously outdoors.  A slight wind blew, causing the trees to sway in a eerie fashion, and the lack of nature's sounds sent a chill up Mavrus's spine.

"Adam, we are outdoors.. what is this castle you speak of?" Mavrus questioned.  He then turned and said quietly to Luca.  "He's just a drunk, all we'll get from him is incoherent babbling.  We should let stupidity the drink has bestowed upon him subside before we talk with him again."

Edited by: Mavrus at: 2/19/04 20:06
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 05:49:22 AM »

Ryldor saw Luca's request for help and ignored it, so taken was he with the idea of playing some cards. Luckily for the half-elf, Mav came to her rescue. Ryldor walked over and stood next Aryia'en as she watched the card game. He was about to ask her if she played, when she asked the brownies for the rules. I guess she doesn't. I wonder how much she'll lose while she learns."

Getting Ahnii's attention, he asked "So how did you come to be traveling with a human?" with a thumb at Adam. Ryldor turned back to face the game. Pointing to the empty space in the middle he said, "Also, why is there no betting? What are the stakes?"

Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Luca the Thief
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 09:24:22 AM »

"He's just a drunk, all we'll get from him is incoherent babbling. We should let stupidity the drink has bestowed upon him subside before we talk with him again."

The statement seemed to spark a tinge of recognition upon Adam's docile face, but such hope of conversation was flicked out as the mangey mutt which Ahnii had once been riding bit deep into the man's shin. The apparently frail man glanced down casually and muttered in his drunken dreams, "Oh aye...mail's here."

Luca left the drunk by the tree, praying to the God of Convenient Distraction (a lesser known deity but one highly, yet discretely, worshipped among thieves, assassins, pirates and lawyers) that Adam would be preoccupied with Mavrus and the "mail" as not to take note of her absence.

She sidled up around the brownies, just to catch Ahnii's reply.

"So how did you come to be traveling with a human? Also, why is there no betting? What are the stakes?"

"Oh. Thin man, thin sword, yip," the small brownie replied, using exagerated hand motions. It was, in fact, true that on Adam's hip rest a thin scabbard that surely held a thin dagger. "Very good at Great House, too. Yip, that's why my cousins keep practicing," Ahnii continued, pointing down at the game, "No pot. Adam only plays for gnome drink, strong, yip. We have plenty, yes?" Ahnii continued, one of the players looking up from his hand.

"No no, boss. We only have a few left! Body guard drinks like a fat old man," he replied forlornly. Spotting the curious silver-haired elf leaning over their game, the speaking brownie looked up at her and blushed. "Oh hello...Great House? You don't know what it is? A shame really. A game, it is! Good fun, would you like to learn? I could...you know, teach you. If you sit...er, next to me" he asked anxiously, beaming and drawing a few muffled snickers and knowing looks from his relatives.

"Yip yip," Ahnii continued, pointedly ignoring the idiocy of her male counterparts, "Amon is right. Adam always wins."

Edited by: Luca the Thief  at: 2/20/04 4:08
Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 09:22:22 AM »

"Oh hello...Great House? You don't know what it is? A shame really. A game, it is! Good fun, would you like to learn? I could...you know, teach you. If you sit...er, next to me"

Aryia`en smiled. It was a smile reserved for mirthful situations, those of the elven kin, and in this case, little folk who spoke in the manner of being 20 times their actual height, "I think not, little one. My seating shall surely upset the whole ... seating arrangements of you and your friends." Sitting besides the brownie would entail a complex series of coordinations between limbs -- both big and little -- as to not upset the whole prevailing constellation. It was a nice way to say, "Sorry, i don't particularly feel like scraping off adhering brownies to my garments ... so i shall not risk acquiring any additional unwanted ornaments to my underside in the first place."

Politely declining the brownie's offer, Aryia`en turned to Ryldor next to her, "You speak as if you know this ... game. Are you familiar with it?"  

Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 09:13:22 AM »

Ryldor looked back over at the frail human. They're practicing for him? He's a Great House player? He can barely stand. And he always wins? I've known people who always win and they're always cheating. I guess we'll have to keep an eye on him. The elf looked back at Ahnii. "So want do you know about Adam? How did he get so good? And why does he look so weak?"

"Great House? I know the rules, but I haven't played too much," he said turning his attention back to Aryia'en. No reason to let on how good I am. He continued, "Every player gets five cards. A betting round follows and then each player is allowed to replace up to three cards in an attempt to improve their hand. Then more bets and the pouch, the money in the middle, is awarded to whomever has the best hand. I think. Like I said, I'm no expert."

Luca the Thief
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 03:12:22 PM »

The rejected brownie raised and lowered his little shoulders in a sigh, then turned back to the round...which he in turn won.

Ahnii smirked slightly, a slightly disgusted twinge in her eye, until she turned away from her cousins and looked up at Ryldor. "Adam? Oh...he is our bodyguard, yip! We met him in some towns back, and hired him to protect us. He's a mercenary, yip, good one too! You may think he looks weak, but Adam is quick, yip. Flash flash, go his sword," Ahnii replied enthusiastically, waving her small arms around and nearly thwapping the nearest card player in the head. "And the cards? Oh, well, we don't know that part. But he never plays sober, yip. Always drunk...that's why Adam like our gnome ale, so strong."

Luca eyed the thin drunk man curiously. "Always drunk? I've met people like that," the half-elf explained, turning to Ryldor, "Mostly fighters though. When they're drunk, no mercy and the like. Straight thinking not in the way of instincts." After some contemplation, the thief added, "Though...that didn't really help him."

Aryia en Evasha
New Santharian

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 10:37:22 AM »

Aryia`en directed a gaze of disgust at the pathetic shadow of a figure Ahnii called "Adam". She was certain that the tree he was draped all over was bemoaning its fate and its lack of locomotive limbs.

"I see no reason for this ... game's appeal. If one desires liquor, it can be purchased without much hassle. Why concern one's self with winning it through chance? It baffles me, the reason for such a game."

Glancing towards Adam, and then at Luca, Aryia`en found herself grouping the two of them in the same ilk. With a snide grin, Aryia`en jested at Luca, "I'm sure that with all your various finely-honed talents, you would not pale in performance to a mere full human drunkard?"

Unhooking a couple of pouches from her belt, Aryia`en started to head away from Luca, Ryldor and the circle of brownies. "I have things to tend to."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]