Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Military Ranks  (Read 1607 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« on: January 13, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »

Rayne (and I think Irid and Kareesh) have disliked people using military ranks in their CDs of late. The argument being made is that such ranks are too modern. I've read many historical books about medieval europe and earlier, as well as many fantasy novels set in times comparable to Medieval Europe or earlier (some at the time of the Ancient Greeks and Romans) and words like commander, lieutenant, captain, corporal, sergeant and so forth appear in those books, both historical and fantasy based around those times. Raymond E Feist in particular uses them extensively in his books.

Would it be possible to have words identified by the CD Moderators that they would consider to be appropriate for use in CDs of character who have been in the military previously, or who are currently in the military?

Thank you,

Dek

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:22:46 PM by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »

I don't believe I've ever said anything against military ranks, but ah well.

My opinion is that certain military titles certainly do sound more modern. I don't mind "commanding officer" or "commander" as those are less...erm...modern-sounding I guess whereas I do have a problem with Brigadier or Private Second Class.

Thank you for bringing this up, Dek, as it's definitely something which Mini/CD Mods need to be on the same page about as well as consistent. :)

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »

Hey Dek! Thanks for bringing this up. The CD moderators discussed it and you're right--many military rankings have old etymologies. After discussing it, it's been decided that military ranks will be allowed in CDs!

And I'm pretty sure that Irid and Kareesh are clean. I think I was probably the sole violator.  Roll Eyes I take full responsibility, and apologise: Sorry about that!

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »

Dek, I'm reposting this here, as I posted it in a hidden thread, but thought you might be interested, as you were discussing it at the same time we were. :D

Okay, let's put this to bed. :D  If you look here, it seems that most ranks are actually very old.  You may wish to disable your sound. :P

Go down the left side of the page, in the red area, and further down you will find the History of the Ranks.  I was surprised to find out how many were from Medieval times or earlier.  Not too modern at all.

For example:

Lieutenant

There may have been Lieutenants aboard British warships as early as the Twelfth Century when the ships carried groups of soldiers to do whatever fighting was necessary. A Captain commanded the soldiers and he might have had a Lieutenant. The rank appeared officially in the British navy about 1580 but soon disappeared. It became a designated rank in 1650 as the rank given to noblemen in training to become Captains. At that time there were no other ranks below Captain so there could be three grades of Lieutenants on a ship--first, second and third.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]