Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 3B: Boogey-who-man leave me be!  (Read 3229 times)
Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« on: June 22, 2005, 11:02:22 AM »

Crazy Woman Pass is a winding pass that climbs steadily on either end until its highest part. Here it is flat a couple hundred peds at the widest and several hundred peds long. It is a rocky pass with many places where large boulders are piled together. On the southern end of this flat area is a boulder field that climbs until it abruptly ends at the sheared off face of Gray Hood Peak. Many believe this boulder field is the result of one of Grothar's changeable moods. They say he was in a bad mood and felt Gray Hood was causing some of his winds to go where he did not want them. In his ire he struck the side of the peak with his lightning staff causing it to crumble and slide creating this boulder field. The north side is very steep with several small cliff faces and huge piled boulders. It is above tree line so there are no trees and very few low shrubs. The ground cover is mostly a mossy runner type grass while patches of lichens and mosses can also be found on the ground and boulders.

((OOC: description taken from entry on main site, do read up on the rest of it, especially the myth/lore part: www.santharia.com/places/...n_pass.htm ))

It didn't take them too long before the three unlikely-now-travelling companions arrived at the pass with a notorious backstory. All along the way Khiera, Bahran and Tzilon were mired in their own thoughts, and conversation consisted of fleeting obligatory pleasantries doused with modest amounts of uncertain glances at each other (and a stout belief that they were the only ones displaying such convincing and masterful actions).

And now here they were at one end of the pass, with the intention of shortly arriving at the other end.

Wizened, aged trees stripped bald of its scrawny leaves by the taunting wind lined both sides of the craggly pass, imbuing the pass with quite an air of despair.

Faced with such a bleak scenario in front of her, Khiera, staying true to her current eternal-optimist mode, scanned the immediate landscape for something, anything, that would warrant a cheerful or uplifting comment.

Her gaze halted at the thinning branch of a nearby tree, where a small greyish-blue bird sat ruffling through its feathers with its beak, presenting what was known to humans of the female persuasion as an umistakable portrait of "cuteness". A deep part of female instinct kicked in, and a smile lit up on Khiera's face as she stepped slowly towards the little bird, her palm outstretched towards it, in the irrational belief that it would alighted cheerfully on it chirping a merry tune.

The bird instantly became aware of Khiera's looming presence, and, obediently responding to generations and generations of avian genetic programming, took flight in a hurry from a potential predator. As it soared into the sky in the course of its escape, it obediently responded to internal pressures as well and subsequently relieved itself in mid-air.

Before Bahran knew it, a distinct splat whizzed by his ear and a white blip the size of a small button flowered out on the tip of his shoe. The  milky coloured blip had a slightly runny texture, and its distinct avian-byproduct odour provided an interesting complement to Bahran's fragrance of liqour.

Edited by: Bahran the big at: 6/30/05 4:35
Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 02:05:22 PM »

While his two party members made sporadic small talk, Bahran chose to forego pleasantries. He was only staying with the woman to get his flask back, so there was no reason to talk to her. Oh, he would get his flask back, he was sure of that. But, he remembered to other part of the plan, the part vital to its success... he still had to gain her trust; and that meant conversing with her.

The big man took a hearty swig of the dwarven ale he had swiped and turned to the two of them, trudging along silently beside him.

"Eh... nice weather wer havin', huh?" Bah forced out, he had heard it somewhere before and was pretty sure it was the universal sign of friendship. That would surely get him in with the tricky-lady's good graces. He remained silent the rest of the way, and it seemed like only twelve months later they had reached a suitable place to stop.

As the flask-thief started playing with a bird, Bah finished off his second bottle. The small flying critter didn't seem to be in a playful mood, however, and took off into the sky. Pfft, birds. What good did they do anyway? Nothing, that's what.

As the giant worked the cork out of his third bottle he noticed a swish right near his ear, followed by a slight tap on his boot. He looked down and noticed a small dot of bird excrement.

"Oh, now look what you've gone an' dun. You got the little thin' all excited an' it went and di' its business on my boot," Bahran complained as he searched for a rag to wipe off the substance. He promptly located a suitable rag, bent down, and wiped off the spot. As he looked down, he noticed that the remainder of the byproduct seemed to say something... Go away! You shouldn't be here! No, that wasn't it, that was too long. It said, “turn back,” which Bah repeated silently to himself. It was very small, and by no means a clear message. It would take a very inebriated mind to see anything in that little left-over blob.

Bahran continued to study the tiny warning. When he was done, he stood back up and said, mostly to himself, “oh, now this dun look good.”

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

"It’s better to die whimpering like a little girl than trying to be a hero."
-Anonymous

"Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; The best of life is but intoxication."
- Lord Byron
Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 06:21:22 AM »

((OOC: Have to puppet you a bit Tzi ... just minimally ... And does Bahran seem to have a mysterious endless supply of booze or what? :b ))

The bird (not surprisingly) rejected Khiera's advances and took to the sky. As it went up, something else came down. Khiera had not heard the tell-tale splat, but as she turned around back to the others, she was treated to a first hand account of the bird's parting gift.

"Oh, now look what you've gone an' dun. You got the little thin' all excited an' it went and di' its business on my boot,"

Khiera could hardly suppress the grin that unabashedly danced onto her lips. It was unbecoming to take pleasure from another's misfortune, she knew, but the potential light-heartedness of this event stood out starkly in comparison to everything else that she had went through in the day. Tzilon was taking a gulp from a water flask, and it was uncertain whether he too sported a grin behind the spout of the flask, or merely nonchalance.

Khiera began to make her way over to Bahran, one hand already reaching within the folds of her robe to to procure some spare scrap of clothe to offer to the irked large man for sanitizing purposes. However, Bahran had already whipped out a rag and bent down resolutely. As she continued to make her way, Bahran's fixated and slightly glazed gawk at the soon-to-be-encrusted gooey blip struck her as odd, to say the least. The amorphous dot of bird excrement seem to hold a curious significance to Bahran, for he subsequently straightened himself without removing its presence from his boot.

“oh, now this dun look good.”

Khiera was visibly tickled by Bahran's comment and the confounded look on his face. She was now right by his side, and a rare chuckle escaped her lips. "I am too of the opinion that boots look much better without the shine of fecal matter."

Tzilon Ikara
Dragonslayer
Approved Character

Human, Epheronian

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 07:30:22 AM »

The most commonly accepted method method of drowning is a complete immersion in water, thereby cutting off any available oxygen.  However, there is a slightly less-common way of drowning, but no less fatal in some cases.  Usually it involves drinking water in the normal fashion; however, something grabs your attention so completely that you lose all concentration on the task at hand (i.e. swollowing the water in the correct fashion).  Thus, the water goes where it shouldn't, and leaves you gasping for air.

Tzilon was so engrossed by the amusing little drama happening betwixt bird, beauty, and beast, that he forgot he was drinking.  By the time he remembered this important fact, he was on the ground sputtering on the ground, choking.  Various thoughts were wizzing through his mind, such as, Oh dear gods, I'm a moron or I hope that large man doesn't think I'm laughing at him, or the all-pervading thought, air air air AIR!

Uncomfortable to say in the least.

I grafted my soul

To the promises of fallen angels

Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 03:37:22 PM »

"No, tha's not what I'm talkin' bout..." Bahran said in reply to the flask stealers comment about "fecal matter" (whatever that was, Bah though to himself), but trailed off as the new guy started laughing at him.

"Now you don' need ta be laughing!" The big man growled as Sighlow rolled on the ground, apparently laughing so uproariously that he had become unable to breathe. "Serves ya righ' for laughin' at me," Bah stated, quite matter-of-factly, standing but a ped or so away, looking down at the scarred lad. As the man continued sputtering for longer then Bahran had expected him to, he decided that it might be time for him to assist.

The giant bent down and put his hands on the man's chest and gave a quick thrust, as he had seen done before on choking victims.

- Lord Byron
Tzilon Ikara
Dragonslayer
Approved Character

Human, Epheronian

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 05:15:22 AM »

The first time Bahran's hands came crashing down on Tzilon's chest, nothing happened.  The second time, however, all the water that he had been choking on flew out of his body, and straight upwards into Bahran's face.  Taking a huge gulp of fresh air, Tzilon blinked the tears out of his eyes.  Just in time, he saw Bahran's large paws coming back down, and rolled out of the way.  He sat up weakly, and looked at his companion.

"Thank you, good sir, you help is much appreciated."

I grafted my soul

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 06:31:22 AM »

Khiera was slightly concerned about a potential brawl when Bahran approached the evidently clogged-up Tzilon. To her pleasant surprise, Bahran promptly expelled the offending liquid from Tzilon through a deft move instead of pummeling it further into the latter's gasping frame. The result was a spectacular geyser of gratitude directed at the big man.

Khiera started to move towards the two men to offer assistance. Tzilon looked as if he would appreciate some healing warmth to help with, and she had a piece of cloth ready for Bahran, whom she was hoping would not knowingly or unwittingly clear the excess moisture off his face with his already soiled rag.

Two steps forward in their direction, Khiera felt a cool drop of moisture on her forehead, followed by the assault of a light drizzle. The darkening clouds were evidently heavily pregnant with water, and Khiera was certain that a downpour would be along very shortly. Scanning the bleak landscape for decent cover, Khiera spoke aloud to the two men, "It seems like we must search for shelter for the night, or make our own. I fear that it would be dangerous trying to cross the pass in the middle of a storm."

Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 12:38:22 PM »

Bahran took the water in the face very calmly, doing naught but blinking as the barrage of water splattered him in the face. The big man reached up and used his forearm to wipe the water from his eyes. When he could see again, Bah stood up and shook his head like a dog, to get the liquid out of his hair.

"See if I ever help you again..." the giant mumbled under his breath as he turned to the tricky-lady, who was beginning to speak. Probably about the rain... what an interesting time for rain... right after he got the water off of his face.

"Eh, shelter huh?" Bah asked rhetorically, looking around for anything that could prove useful in shielding them from the falling drops of water. There were several leafless trees around, and a handful of leafed ones. "I guess we could use one o' those," the giant said, shielding his eyes from the rain with one hand and pointing with the other.

As he got closer to the large tree he noticed a rocky overhang a little ways further.

"Oh... err... this tree only looks big enough fer two people. I'll let you two have it," Bah offered, acting as if he was making a big sacrifice. "I guess I'll jes go sleep over by tha' rocky thing ova' there." He made off towards the much better shelter he had spotted for himself, feeling that he deserved it since he had seen it first.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

"It’s better to die whimpering like a little girl than trying to be a hero."
-Anonymous

- Lord Byron
Tzilon Ikara
Dragonslayer
Approved Character

Human, Epheronian

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 12:22:22 AM »

Tzilon saw the outcropping the man had pointed to.  What?  That's bigger than two of these trees put together!  I'll be cursed if I let Gargantua take the best shelter, while we...

Just then, Tzilon had a idea.  And this way, I can take the big man down, while also finding my way into the lady's good graces.  He stepped forward to place a hand on Bahran's shoulder, thought better of it, and placed his hand on his elbow.  "My friend, would it not be more noble, and kind, if we let the lady take the outcropping, while we find shelter somewhere else?"

I grafted my soul

Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 12:44:22 PM »

Bahran stared blankly at the man as he spoke. He thought of how easily he could kill the man. I could just grab his arm, hold him in place... a few hits to the head and he'd probably be gone. The nerve of him, giving Bahran's shelter to the flask-stealer. Oh... he would get revenge.

Just then, Bahran had an idea. And this way, I can take the little man down, while also finding my way into the lady's good graces. Bah decided to relinquish the spot. "Oh, yeah. Now tha' I look agin, the rocks do look bigger..." The big man looked at his feet and kicked at the dust a little.

Soon, everything had been wrapped up with the sleeping arrangements. Khiera under her large, rocky outcropping; the guys under a tree with skimpy leaves. The big man had slept on worse, but this was still no cake-walk. The woman was asleep, and Bahran was asleep, and the new guy could have been asleep, conceivably.

Sometime in the night, the giant rolled over and a rock poked him in a not-too-good place. He sprung up, but fortunately didn't yelp or anything to wake up the others. It was a full moon that night, very bright out, a wide range of visibility for Bah. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a gray shape swoop past. He turned quickly, but all he saw was a rock field. Whoosh! The shape went across out of the corner of his other eye.

"Wait... is that...?" Bah asked himself silently. The flask-stealer wore gray... so... it must have been her. But, why would she be running around in the rocks like that...? Confused Bah was. But his sleepiness out-weighed this currently. Rest assured, however, he'd get to the bottom of this in the morning.

Edited by: Bahran the big at: 8/3/05 4:33

- Lord Byron
Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 12:19:22 PM »

As Khiera finally settled into a comfortable posture -- as comfortable as a bed of craggly pebbles could get, that is -- under the oddly shaped outcropping, she directed a grateful and wholly genial gaze at the two men who appeared to be huddling closer together for warmth from the damp cold, yet simultaneously recoiling away from each other. It was a curious sight to behold.

Tzilon was turning out to be quite the charming rogue with a chivalric finesse, and the big man ... well, he was turning out to have the heart to match his physical largesse, and not as the mere beer tumbler of a front that he had been trying to impress upon everyone else.  

Khiera sighed a low, hopeful murmur as her heavy lids momentarily blocked out the rest of the world and she drifted off into much needed slumber. Come the morning, they would resume their journey and their search for their missing companions. May Nakashi smile upon them all.

Khiera was undoubtedly aware of a few stabs of piercing, chilling cold that ... seemed to flutter around her and then dissisipate, only to reappear repeatedly for another embrace. Khiera shuddered involuntarily, and she struggled with what seemed like a bizzare urge to snap back into wakeful consciuosness, but a mysterious force seemed to be holding her down and anchoring her firmly in sleep.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]