Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Iceland Religion A New Take on the Old Gods  (Read 9039 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 16 August 2007, 21:40:44 »

Tina and Arceon, I thought that we should have our discussions about how we wish to work on northern religion in an open forum so that if we start going in a poor direction, we can be corrected before pouring a whole lot of time and energy into a fools errand.

Tina, have you familiarized yourself with all aspects of the Ice Tribe religion as it is already laid out?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ryn

Gained Aura: 0

Raven

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2007, 22:33:55 »

Certainly have, now I was thinking to have a few lesser Gods and Kor'och as the patron God. What do you think?

"In my fists, I see shattered lives and the blood of innocents.....but when I open these hands, I see joy and my family.....The path that we take is not right, it is simply the path that we choose."

~~Darknighte~~
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2007, 23:12:47 »

To be quite honest, I was hoping that you were going to expand on the Iceland gods.....

My vision for Remusiat is that the common man still believes in the Ice Land gods, that the rest of the tribes believe in.... after all, Remusiat IS an Ice Tribe.

To add to my  "country in transition" I am developing a way that Araman (the former king, Timeras' father) had a change in faith and brought about a state religion of worship of Kor'och.  This religion will be monotheistic, (no lesser gods), which is why it will be so hard for the rest of Remusiat will fight it.  Picture the Pharoah Akhenaton in ancient Egypt and his religious revolution that branded him a heretic for all time, where they went from Osiris, Isis, Horus, et al, to worshipping only the Aton, the sun. 

But, to fully integrate this, I need the Ice Tribes developed further, as it is only a vague outline at the moment.  Which is what you and Arceon were discussing when I popped my head in....  I fully support the development of the Ice Tribe religion, but only as a backdrop to what I am doing with the Remusians.

So, I hope that you and Arceon do plan on working on this, and I will help where I can. grin

Ryn

Raven

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2007, 23:41:45 »

So can you put a link to the old ice land gods then please.

"In my fists, I see shattered lives and the blood of innocents.....but when I open these hands, I see joy and my family.....The path that we take is not right, it is simply the path that we choose."

~~Darknighte~~
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2007, 23:46:09 »

Tina, no invention of new gods, be they lesser or not - we do have enough and the concept is laid out. Please allow Altarion to develop his concept which I think is very cool.

Please look for something smaller to develop as your first entry. You should wait with a god for a bit. That doesn't mean, that you cannot join the discussion and comment on what Altario and others will bring forward.

What about a story myth in an already existent context? That would show that you can work within a given frame - for that is what we need here. Look out for something small - like Altarios rope.

Edit: Just saw you posted before me - didn't you say you have yourself already familarisied with all what is necessary? Why do you need the link then?

there is no entry yet , all we have is what you can find in the main entry and shattered over different beasts etc. I dearly recommend to read ALL works written for this area, otherwise you will not be able to work well with the others. It is not this much. Go throuhg the proposals I made and look for the links i have set there.

« Last Edit: 16 August 2007, 23:50:31 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ryn

Raven

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2007, 23:51:19 »

OK, well Altario what would you like me to elaborate on.

~~Darknighte~~
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2007, 00:09:26 »

Well..the ice tribes are primitive people..so they should have a very organic, folksy way of recognizing their gods....we need to know how they do this.  In that respect, more myths would be good...to fully show us the roles and the personalities of these gods...

also we need to know how the ice tribes revere these gods...what are the prayers, the ceremonies that they use to communicate to the gods... to this end, you can read my entry on Nechya's Rope to get an idea of what I mean.. they wont be big elaborate affairs like the Roman Catholic religion of the middle ages, but simpler homespun traditions....

hope this helps

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2007, 00:10:43 »

Just because a tribe is primitive doesn't mean their religion has to be 'folksy'...

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2007, 00:15:59 »

perhaps not... grin

but, i guess that depends on your definition of "folksy"

mine is simple, non pretentious way of doing things

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2007, 00:21:32 »

Do/Would/Should Ice tribes have shaman-type character's- Like Doimo medicine men?

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2007, 00:27:10 »

good question...and one of the things we will need to try and figure out...there is just much here that is not explained yet...

my personal opinion is yes.... i think shamans make sense to a tribe who has to deal with nature to such a large degree as the ice tribes... a particularly bad storm, or the sudden change in the migration pattern of the wison herds could spell disaster...they must feel totally at the mercy of these gods..
« Last Edit: 17 August 2007, 01:24:04 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Ryn

Raven

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2007, 01:22:41 »

Yes I think we should have shamans.

~~Darknighte~~
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2007, 01:23:13 »

Well, then your (and here I mean all who want to join this endeavour) to gather what we have already  of shaman-like religions (trolls?) on the site :D

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2007, 03:03:12 »

I think Shamans should be chosen- Do the Ice Tribes have any Patiarchal/Matriarchal Gods, A head God/dess A 'Zeus' or 'Odin' type character?

OR do you have any gods to represent light? I did have a rough idea about some clerics of a religion that would never work how have seen the radiance of a Light god, but have been blinded by it...

This light theme could also trangress into 'The Shaman has seen <insert god or goddess here>'s Light and thus we follow him'

Waddayuufink!

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2007, 09:28:12 »

Well, actually here is not the place to discuss how the icetribes worshiped or interacted with their gods, but to define their characteristics first, how they interact with people and how they are seen (as distant or close gods)

Of course worship or interaction of the humans with the gods has to be considered as well, but it should for now not distract from our main goal, the gods themselves.

To th way of interaction of the people with the gods: shamanism might be the best solution, but we should not narrow our focus on that just now and not think about other possibilities as well. We should not use "shamanism" without proper definition, what we mean, for otherwise we could well misunderstand each other. For I see problems here as well, using this concept. The icetribes do not tolerated magic (only to a little degree if at all), so what a shaman does may not look like magic!

But now back to the gods, worship is another theme.

Arceaon, Tina, a warning - this discussion will not lead too soon to a submission or an entry, but is a first gathering of ideas, so don't expect to much progress here in form from an entry for the next update. Better look for something else (additional) if you want a quick contribution.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]