Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Remusian War Chariot  (Read 6752 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 18 August 2007, 08:47:29 »

Overview:  This ingenious vehicle was invented by an enterprising young Remusian soldier, after returning from travels where he saw a wheeled version of the chariot, and adapted it for the cavalry.  Though it has never been used in a modern war, it has become a common site in the cavalryís training maneuvers.

Description:  A team of two horses is hitched to a T shaped pole, most of the time made from Carteloreen bone, lashed with rawhide to a crossbar, also made from bone, or occasionally wison horn.  This pole then stretches back to where it is connected to the carriage. 

This small carriage provides enough room for two people to stand.  It is closed on three sides by rawhide stretched and dried over a wison horn frame.  This barrier would come to around hip height on most Remusian men.  It is often painted with the Remusian Coat of Arms on the front, and garish designs on the sides, intended to instill fear to the enemy.

This carriage is then set upon two long runners created from Carteloreen rib bones.  They are curved up quite sharply at the front, using the natural curve of the bone.  Then the bone is shaped, using steam, to straighten it to where it is about the size of a man in length.  Holes are carved into each runner so that the carriage can be lashed to it.  The carriage is on legs that hold it about a fore above the runner.  These runners are planed flat on the bottom to make them glide on the snow and ice.

Long leather reins run through loops on the top of the carriage and attatch to harnesses on the horses, and used to guide the horses.  This is how the chariot is steered. 

History:  There is very little history to the Remusian War Chariot.  It has only been part of the Remusian Cavalry for 10 years, so it came after the last great military campaign, the Fifth Orcish War.  Still, it has been used, in the border skirmishes with neighboring tribes, and with the riotous nomads of the Kordos territory.

A young man, Jorgan Alleda-fey Launce, was the son of the new breed of Remusian noble, the trading merchant.  His father had made a modest fortune by venturing south by ship and trading Remusian marble, furs, and gold jewelry, for lumber and agricultural products.  These he sold in the markets of Remusiat, as well as to the Remusian military.  This bought Jorganís quick acceptance to the rank of a junior officer.

Jorgan had a mind, however, that was just as quick to spot an opportunity as was his fatherís.  On a trip south with his father, they had cause to partake in a festival in Salsair, where his wizened eyes spotted men racing with chariots.  This fired his imagination, and it is said that by the time his ship arrived back in Remusiat and he disembarked, he had complete drawings of his new invention.

The military was quick to see the possible advantages of this vehicle.  So, they took Jorganís plans and built a dozen of them.  They were then sent to the border with the Faerons.  It proved to be an effective weapon against the Faeron warriors, who had never seen such technology, and it was rumoured that they believed it to be a creature designed by the gods to punish them.  It is not known if they still believe it to be alive, though it would seem unlikely. 

From this experiment, the military created over a hundred such chariots, and now has integrated it with the cavalry faction of the military.

Use:  The main use of the chariot is for the fear and chaos it produces in the ranks of the other ice tribes who have never experienced anything like it before.  It can be a deadly combination of power, weight, weapons and intimidation.

Two people are in the carriage; the driver and the soldier.  These charioteer drivers have been known to charge the enemy line and completely sweep over them, while the soldier is often equipped with a bow, and has been trained to fire from this moving fortress with great accuracy.  And the rawhide walls of the carriage provide good cover from return fire.  The soldier also carries a sword, which he uses when the chariots charge the enemy lines. 

Sometimes, long knives are attached to the carriage, so that they stick out perpendicular to the carriage, creating another weapon in the close combat of the line charge, and when running down fleeing warriors.

The last use is to have a rope, or chain but very rarely, tied to one chariot and the other end held by the soldier in another chariot.  The two chariots run at the enemy in unison, stretching the rope taut between them.  This rope then can sweep the feet from under multiple targets at once, often inflicting serious injuries.  This has been used infrequently and is still being debated for its usefulness.  The flaw with this is that the soldier can be pulled out of the carriage by the force of the collision, or more rarely, the carriage itself can be pulled over.  It will be determined in the future if this tactic warrants further trials.

The War Chariot is a vehicle that works best in old snow; hardened and compressed.  Fresh, soft snow tends to bog down the chariot, as well as making it difficult for the horses to pull.  As well, it is best used in straight line conditions.  It does not turn smoothly, or in tight circles, and has a tendency to tip over if the attempt is made.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2007, 22:13:32 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2007, 08:52:28 »

Comments are most welcome on this.  I had the idea when i was doing my edits to my festival and was reading the chariot races.  I was trying to think how i could have placed the festival in Remusiat, but there would be no way the chariots would work there.  Then eureka!

Hope you enjoy. grin

Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2007, 09:06:41 »

How Cool!! :D heart
oh i mean..Ahem*puts on deep voice* How Manly!!!
You sure like your Remusians Altario! :)

My untrained eye will be commenting in the naturous colour of Green! heart

Overview:  This ingenious vehicle was invented by an enterprising young Remusian soldier, after returning from travels were he saw a wheeled version of the chariot, and adapted it for the cavalry after he joined up.  Though it has never been used in a modern war, it has become a common site in the cavalryís training maneuvers.

Description:  A team of two horses is hitched to a T shaped pole, most of the time made from Carteloreen bone, lashed with rawhide to a crossbar, also made from bone, or occasionally wison horn.  This pole then stretches back to where it is connected to the carriage.  This small carriage provides enough room for two people to stand.  It is closed on three sides by rawhide stretched and dried over a wison horn frame.  This barrier would come to around hip height on most Remusian men.  It is often painted with the Remusian Coat of Arms on the front, and garish designs on the sides, intended to add fear to the enemy.

This carriage is then set upon two long runners created from Carteloreen rib bones.  They are curved up quite sharply at the front, using the natural curve of the bone.  Then the bone is shaped, using steam, to straighten it to where it is about the size of a man in length.  Holes are carved into each runner so that the carriage can be lashed to it.  The carriage is on legs that hold it about a fore above the runner.

Long leather reins run through loops on the top of the carriage to harnesses on the horses, and used to guide the horses.  This is how the chariot is steered. 

History:  There is very little history to the Remusian War Chariot.  It has only been part of the Remusian Cavalry for 10 years, so it came after the last great military campaign, the Fifth Orcish War.  Still, it has been used, in the border skirmishes with neighboring tribes, and with the riotous nomads of the Kordos territory.

A young man, Jorgan Alleda-fey Launce, was the son of the new breed of Remusian noble, the trading merchant.  His father had made a modest fortune by going south by ship and trading Remusian marble, furs, and gold jewelry, for lumber and agricultural products.  These he sold in the markets of Remusiat, as well as too the Remusian military.  This bought Jorganís quick acceptance to the rank of a junior officer.

Jorgan had a mind, however, that was just as quick to spot an opportunity as was his fatherís.  On a trip south with his father, they had cause to partake in a festival in Salsair, where he saw men racing with chariots.  This fired his imagination, and it is said that by the time his ship arrived in Remusiat and he disembarked, he had complete drawings of his new invention.

The military was quick to see the possible advantages of this vehicle.  So, they took Jorganís plans and built around a dozen of them.  They were then sent to the border with the Faerons.  It proved to be an effective weapon against the Faeron warriors, who had never seen such technology, and it was rumoured that they believed it to be a creature designed by the gods to punish them.  It is not known if they still believe it to be alive, though it would seem unlikely. 

I thought it wasnt used in a modern war.

From this experiment, the military created over a hundred such chariots, and now has integrated it with the cavalry faction of the military.

Use:  The main use of the chariot is for the fear and chaos it produces in the ranks of the other ice tribes who have never experienced anything like it before.  These charioteer drivers have been known to charge the enemy line and completely sweep over them,

The other use is that two people are in the carriage; the driver and the soldier.  The soldier is often equipped with a bow, and has been trained to fire from this moving fortress with great accuracy.  And the rawhide walls of the carriage provide good cover from return fire.

The soldier also carries a sword, which he uses when the chariots charge the enemy lines.  It can be a deadly combination of power, weight, weapons and intimidation.

Sometimes, long knives are attached to the carriage, so that they stick out perpendicular to the carriage, creating another weapon in the close combat of the line charge, and when running down fleeing warriors.

The last use is to have a rope, or chain but very rarely, tied to one chariot and the other end held by the soldier in another chariot.  The two chariots run at the enemy in unison, stretching the rope taut between them.  This rope then can sweep the feet from under multiple targets at once, often inflicting serious injuries.  This has been used infrequently and is still being debated for its usefulness.  The flaw with this is that the soldier can be pulled out of the carriage by the force of the collision, or more rarely, the carriage itself can be pulled over.  It will be determined in the future if this tactic warrants further trials.

My untrained eye could not see any thing wrong with this..Well done!, but the sentence structure is a bit odd in some places! :D

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2007, 09:17:27 »

*assumes same deep manly voice*  Thanks Petros. grin

To your comments in the entry, it has not been used in a war, just minor border skirmishes.  I do not consider these a war as such.  Just bands of warriors fighting other bands of warriors with very little organization and little in the way of national significance.  (more so the Faerons)

As to your observance of my preference for Remusians, yes they are my people.  I am Remusian in my heart.  They have been the poor cousins to the rest of the continent for too long, and I am trying to bring them to a development on par with the southern provinces.....

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2007, 04:34:41 »

I have cleaned up the Use section, which was a bit poorly worded, Petros.

Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2007, 04:49:16 »

Looks ALOT cleaner!!! yay!! grin heart

Petros Greenvale
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2007, 10:06:41 »

Any chance someone could give this a critical perusal?

Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2007, 19:33:30 »

OK! heart dont know how much help im gonna be, but my slightly less untrained eye will do another full wee check! :D

Gorgeous comments in Gorgeous Green!

Overview:  This ingenious vehicle was invented by an enterprising young Remusian soldier, after returning from travels where he saw a wheeled version of the chariot, and adapted it for the cavalry.  Though it has never been used in a modern war, it has become a common site in the cavalryís training maneuvers.

Description:  A team of two horses is hitched to a T shaped pole, most of the time made from Carteloreen bone, lashed with rawhide to a crossbar, also made from bone, or occasionally wison horn.  This pole then stretches back to where it is connected to the carriage. Does this bone, that is attaches to the carriage, give any turning lee-way? maybe you could use an animals leg bones, to attach the two parts, and have them connected at a ball and socket joint? this could increase turning fluidity, and could also prevent the carriage tipping over on very sharp turns :)

This small carriage provides enough room for two people to stand.  It is closed on three sides by rawhide stretched and dried over a wison horn frame.  This barrier would come to around hip height on most Remusian men.  It is often painted with the Remusian Coat of Arms on the front, and garish designs on the sides, intended to soak fear into the enemy.   (sentence structure a wee bitty odd ;))

This carriage is then set upon two long runners created from Carteloreen rib bones.  They are curved up quite sharply at the front, using the natural curve of the bone.  Then the bone is shaped, using steam, to straighten it to where it is about the size of a man in length.  Holes are carved into each runner so that the carriage can be lashed to it.  The carriage is on legs that hold it about a fore above the runner. Have you left these bones in a cylindrical shape? cause it could sink in the snow because of lack of surface area, and the sheer weight of the carriage and its occupants. Maybe you could plane the bones until the underside is flat? greatly increasing surface area! :D

Long leather reins run through loops on the top of the carriage and attach onto harnesses on the horses, and used to guide the horses.  This is how the chariot is steered. 

A young man, Jorgan Alleda-fey Launce, was the son of the new breed of Remusian noble, the trading merchant.  His father had made a modest fortune by venturing south, by ship, and trading Remusian marble, furs, and gold jewelry, for lumber and agricultural products.  These he sold in the markets of Remusiat, as well as to the Remusian military.  This bought Jorganís quick acceptance to the rank of a junior officer.

Jorgan had a mind, however, that was just as quick to spot an opportunity as was his fatherís.  On a trip south with his father, they had cause to partake in a festival in Salsair, where his wizened eyes spotted men racing in chariots.  This fired his imagination, and it is said that by the time his ship arrived back in Remusiat and he disembarked, he had complete drawings of his new invention.

The military was quick to see the possible advantages of this vehicle.  So, they took Jorganís plans and built a dozen of them.  They were then sent to the border with the Faerons.  It proved to be an effective weapon against the Faeron warriors, who had never seen such technology, and it was rumoured that they believed it to be a creature designed by the gods to punish them.  It is not known if they still believe it to be alive, though it would seem unlikely. 

Use:  The main use of the chariot is for the fear and chaos it produces in the ranks of the other ice tribes who have never experienced anything like it before.  It can be a deadly combination of power, weight, weapons and intimidation. Just a thought.... if the chariot has been used aginst other ice tribes for the last ten years, why hasnt anyone tried to copy the idea?

Two people are in the carriage; the driver and the soldier.  These charioteer drivers have been known to charge the enemy line and completely sweep over them, while the soldier is often equipped with a bow, and has been trained to fire from this moving fortress with great accuracy.  And the rawhide walls of the carriage provide good cover from return fire.  The soldier also carries a sword, which he uses when the chariots charge the enemy lines. 

Sometimes, long knives are attached to the carriage, so that they stick out perpendicular to the weopon on runners, creating another weapon in the close combat of the line charge, and when running down fleeing warriors.

The last use is to have a rope, or chain but very rarely, tied to one chariot and the other end held by the soldier in another chariot.  The two chariots run at the enemy in unison, stretching the rope taut between them.  This rope then can sweep the feet from under multiple targets at once, often inflicting serious injuries.  This has been used infrequently and is still being debated for its usefulness.  The flaw with this is that the soldier can be pulled out of the carriage by the force of the collision, or more rarely, the carriage itself can be pulled over.  It will be determined in the future if this tactic warrants further trials. :D

Petros Greenvale
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2007, 22:15:55 »

Thank you for the comments Petros. 

No, I have not made the pole to the horses able to move leeward.  Ancient chariots did not have this, so I did not want to add any undo technology.

Changed "add fear" to "instill fear"

Planing the bottom is a great idea.  Have incorporated that. grin

Incorporated most, if not all, of the minor descriptive phrases.

The other Ice Tribes are too primitive to develop the chariot.  As for anyone else, who would see them?  The icelands are pretty remote, not many visitors, and there have not been any wars lately.

Hope that satisfies.  Hope to get something uploaded this time around.  I'm jonesin for a new entry.   grin

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2007, 00:27:06 »

Also, the other ice tribes don't have horses--they use dog sleds, or they will when Gervase has finished his entry ;)  The more northern tribes probably don't have the feed to sustain horses anyway.  The Remusians are a relatively southerly tribe.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2007, 01:36:43 »

I'm hoping lack of a critique on your part Alysse means that you are okay with this entry?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2007, 03:20:18 »

Altario, I'm no good in commenting such things. Just a few notes:

The military was quick to see the possible advantages of this vehicle.  So, they took Jorganís plans and built a dozen of them.  They were then sent to the border with the Faerons.  It proved to be an effective weapon against the Faeron warriors, who had never seen such technology

Do you want to introduce a war or is this just a border skirmish? )E.G. the discovered a few warriors on their territory where they should not be..)

I really would like to know more about this "fifth orcish war" , any sources?

is there a danger that this vehicle turns over? How has the snow to be that it goes well? what about a really deep snow? it is heavier than a person who glides on skies above the snow and even that is not always easy in fresh snow.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2007, 05:00:05 »

Just a typical border skirmish, as the Ice Tribes so often have....

The only mentions I have of the Fifth Orcish war are in the original Remusian entry, and the history table held therein......

I will work on explaining the snow requirements... thank you for the comments.... grin

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2007, 06:48:56 »

snow conditions added at the end. grin

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2007, 09:28:30 »

Sorry Altario, I haven't had the time for a full critique recently.  I can try for a go-through tomorrow to check for spelling/grammar or any inconsistencies. 

Not that I expect there will be many--you are an exceptionally talented writer and I am thrilled to have someone of that caliber working on Northern development.  thumbup

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]