Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Runsek “Sparkaxe” Thuthrum  (Read 3327 times)
Morcaanan
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 17 September 2007, 00:08:38 »

Runsek “Sparkaxe” Thuthrum

Overview
Runsek “Sparkaxe” Thuthrum is a dwarf whose opinions on drake mythology and habits are still recognized and sought after today. He is author of the somewhat controversial diary/lore book titled Dragon Myths, a record of information on what we today recognize as Lesser Drakes and Dracoids. He resides at Ximax and is in collaboration with other researchers on the more intangible and theoretical history of Mythical Dragons.

1511 a.S. - Present

Appearance (Optional)

Runsek is a dwarf with bristling red hair, scorched short in some places to such an extent that the skin shows a little here and there and it will never grow properly again.
He has a strikingly spiky moustache and beard, which he admits he preens  with some vanity. His eyebrows are singed and almost gone from his various encounters with drakes, and his skin is weathered and leathery from many days aboveground in his journeys and stays in non-dwarven cities.

His usual attire might offset the fact that he is a dwarf most learned, for he wears long, stained leather gloves and gigantic boots that reach to his knees and fold over there to make a double layer; his simple Rockwool tunic is designed without metal fixtures or clasps, and in fact the only adornment he has is the string of drake's teeth around his neck. His Barsa Dusk-coloured eyes are set deep in their sockets and his nose is bulbous and pocked, both from burns and continuous exposure to the harsh elements of the outdoors.

Personality (Optional)

By the standards of dwarves Runsek Thuthrum is a bit outgoing and perhaps a bit prickly, not to mention a little vain, though he admits to all the former without hesitation.

To one who is perhaps not quite as familiar with dwarves, he comes across as a slightly absent-minded individual who does not seem to take you very seriously at the outset. When you have gained his confidence and convinced him you are not on a foolish errand but have indeed come to spend valuable time to discuss his research, he will sit back in his chair, twirl the end of his moustache and begin on a point, which will inevitably lead to a story about one of his encounters and all the details thereof.

If you disagree with Runsek, do so only with proper evidence in hand and a stout argument at the ready, for failure to do so will earn you yet another story that will somehow prove you wrong and will make it all the harder for him to take you seriously later.

Biography

1511: Early Life
Born at Tyr Thromgolim, Runsek Thuthrum was trained as a Hunter for his occupation, and also served as a member of the Boltgrumm military guard, keeping the settlement safe from intruders. In his own words, "I was an odd'an roamin' lad."
This proved crucial for him, because due to this occupation he encountered a Fire Drake in Mount Argor. In Thuthrum's opinion, the drake was looking for a nesting place. Though unusual for a Fire Drake to leave its territory and group it is not unheard of, and may have considered the volcano a suitable site for a nesting ground.

Runsek Thuthrum slew the drake and took a few of its teeth to string into a necklace as a trophy. This is how he earned his name "Sparkaxe", for his ax briefly caught fire during the encounter.

It also sparked his interest in draconian kind.

1595: Hunting

Killing a drake is not a normal accomplishment for any person, but for Sparkaxe it incited him to a challenge. He traveled north to Voldar and Nyermersys, ostensibly on a hunt for other drakes in the Tandala Highlands.

Though several tales of his adventures could be put here, many of these were recorded in the journal Runsek kept at the time, which has been referenced to augment research for the Compendium by Karul Morcaanan.  Runsek spent approximately fifteen years on these hunting trips, surviving and making his way by hunting for his food and occasionally selling the hides, horns and teeth of drakes he killed. He has kept a tooth for every kill he made - thirteen in all, an impressive collection.

He used his journal at this time to record his notes and adventures, and any legends and stories he picked up along the way.

1611: Research - Present Day

Runsek moved to Ximax, the City of Magic, where he resides to this day. His journal was lost in Voldar - and thankfully rediscovered by young Morcaanan, who refers to it on a regular basis for his own research of Dragons and drakes. The title Dragon Myths had been scrawled in the opening leaf; it seems possible that whoever shelved it in the library there thought he had found a book of fairy tales and labeled it before tucking it away.

With his experience of drakes and years of research, Runsek Sparkaxe Thuthrum is arguably the leading authority on the subject of Dragon-kind. He has and continues to collaborate with Morcaanan on such investigations, and his work will undoubtedly be referenced by the Compendium for years to come.

Importance
Runsek Thuthrum has made important headway in the research of Dragon-kind. His journal, referred to as Dragon Myths, is the basis for much of the information recorded in the field of the study of drakes.
He still researches the subject to a great degree, and has collaborated with Compendium authors and other researchers, including the Brownie Redleaf, and the Fal'cone Kuglim Reve'lor who are responsible for research done on the drakes Urzash and Hydragon, respectively.

Picture (Optional)
To be developed by the Bard.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2008, 01:13:09 by Morcaanan » Logged

Morcaanan - also known as Morc, Korim, Scales, A-13, Dearest Brother, PJ, Prime Minister, and various other random titles and honoraries.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2007, 22:39:51 »

I see him as a dwarf with bristling red hair, scorched short in places, and a strikingly spiky moustache and beard.  His eyebrows are also singed from 'field research' and his skin weathered (since obviously he is a dwarven 'aboveground' bachelor).  He wears long, stained leather gloves and gigantic boots; his simple Rockwool tunic is designed without metal fixtures or clasps to avoid nasty chest burns.   His eyes are set deep in their sockets and his nose is bulbous and pocked.   

Whaddya think?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Morcaanan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2007, 05:00:20 »

Ummm...but...should I choose a tribe for him? I am struggling with origins here... undecided

Thing is, I have read through all the dwarven info on the site, and I can't seem to choose a logical place for him to come from or a logical time period...

I like the spiky moustache bit, but why red hair?
« Last Edit: 21 September 2007, 05:03:27 by Morcaanan » Logged

Morcaanan - also known as Morc, Korim, Scales, A-13, Dearest Brother, PJ, Prime Minister, and various other random titles and honoraries.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2007, 07:35:19 »

Basically because the scorches will show up beautifully and it adds colour to anotherwise monochromatic picture :)

He might well be a Ximaxian dwarf as I think (just off the top of my head, not researching) there are drakes on the Ximax peninsula.  Otherwise, put him as close as possible to a drake-rich area (Nong-Sorno? spelling?) as dwarves don't enjoy travelling much.    It would be nice to have him reasonably contemporary so that he can be used/quoted as a drake researcher in our 'contemporary' entries.   By which I mean that he could either be still alive in the present era or have died any time in the last two hundred years or so, so that his work is still the definitive version. 

I know you say 'controversial' and 'unfinished', but he should still be the most comprehensive authority - or why give him a Compendium entry at all?  We need a researcher to reference, and Sparkaxe is just too good to pass up...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Morcaanan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2007, 10:24:11 »

True true...alrighty...I'll try to get this done by the end of next week...

Gwai'ayia Quillouf
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2007, 11:43:16 »

Why do I get this feeling just from Bard Judith's describition of his picture, that Runsek is probably going to add up with a quirky spunky sligltly nevrvous personality with the hint of unusual soberity for a dwarf (because as everyone knows...achool is flamable!)?

*chuckles at self* I don't know why but thats what the describiton conjured in my mind.

I think this shall be an interesting, and very useful entry when its finished.  Good luck working with it!

"The sky is purple to Wise Eyes."Quote from Gwai'ayia Scrollreader Quillouf.

Dreamwell,

Gwai'ayia
Morcaanan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2007, 01:10:57 »

Though there is more to be added, ideas and comments are needed. Feel free to toss your two sans in.

Edit: btw, no comments on what my version of "the end of next week" is, OK?  :P

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2008, 06:05:30 »

Well, this has been lying around for quite a while uncommented, so I took a look here, as this seems to be an interesting dwarf...

- I see Judy suggested as well that he might be Ximaxian - that would be a Zirghurim then. These dwarves are not so withdrawn as most other dwarven clans, and the Boltgrumms aren't described yet in detail, so we don't really know how they behave. And if there are dwarven hunters as such at this tribe.

So you could perhaps go for the Zirghurim and give him a few attributes that point in this direction, he surely would be more communicative as a member of this tribe and get to know the world better. Maybe it was part of his education to hunt like humans do, as hunting in the outside doesn't seem very typical for dwarves.

- I like especially this part:

"This is how he earned his name "Sparkaxe", for his ax briefly caught fire during the encounter.- It also sparked his interest in draconian kind."

- Biography part is  still a bit meager, he surely experience a bit more than just three paragraphs in his dragon-adventures. Especially his book should be explained in detail: what exactly does he want to describe? The dragons as they live? Seperate the "dragon narrations" from the real thing? Collect mainly myths about dragons? On what does he focus on?

-  Overview, Appearance, Personality are written well and entertaining, but yeah, still lacking a bit of fire here mainly in the Biography section, Morc. The rest is very enjoyable so far :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Morcaanan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2008, 01:16:58 »

Thanks so very much Art. I shall have to refresh myself on dwarven clans then to make this concise. Changing to a pencil-con.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]