Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Brownie Bead-Making (Industry)  (Read 4173 times)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« on: 12 November 2007, 23:44:51 »

Since I am nearing finishing my Brownie wings, I thought I would propose another little idea which has been wandering around my head - an entry on Brownie Beadmaking. 

The idea...
As Brownies have such small hands, they can do far finer work than humans (provided the material allows this), so Brownie-made beads, irrespective of which tribe of Brownies produced them, could be known for their regular size and shape.  These would also be ideal for Brownies to trade, as they are so light and easy to transport (well for Brownies anyway). They could even be used by travelling Brownies as a substatuite for coins, especially if certain colours/patterns were more valuable than others.

The clan-based structure of the Llaoihrr could lend itself well to making industrial quantities of beads for trade. There could also be a couple of groups of Milken Brownies who make them to order for tailors within Milkengrad?  The Llaoihrr beads would be plain and very fine, possibly made from "Mica", the Milken beads larger with painted patterns....

What do people think?
« Last Edit: 13 November 2007, 00:35:08 by Rookie Brownbark » Logged

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2007, 05:10:56 »

Well, let's see. The Llaoihrr do have the clans, but the milken are closer to the places where they could process the resources. I'd say for sheer quanitity the Llaoihrr have the milken beat hands down, but the milken would probably wind up with a better looking finished product.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2007, 05:27:21 »

Also, the Milken live in a large coty, with excelent acces to trading facilities, as well as a guaranteed batch of customers from the other Helcrani races..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2007, 05:27:38 »

It's a great idea at any rate - I like it when people try to get into the shoes of people of a race/tribe and walk around in them, thus seeing everything from their perspective :) And bead-making fits the Brownies very well, Rookie, definitely a nice approach!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2007, 18:27:23 »

Ok, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to organise the Milken Brownies as they seem more attached to their Helcrani family than to other Milken Brownies.   However, if everyone thinks it will work I shall make Milken Brownies the main bead-makers, producing beads of every colour and material that the tailor could ask for, including painted beads.  Some of the more delicate, intricate scenes would make the beads exceedly expensive, thus making them a bit of a status symbol among the Helcrani women?

Llaoihrr make large quantities from wood (possibly dyed afterwards) and the left-overs of the Fayglass/Mica stuff Judy thought they might use for windows (if thats ok with you Judith).  These are plain and simply known for their tiny size as opposed to the fine workmanship of the Milken beads.  They could be priced depending on colour as certain colours of the rock might be more rare than others.  (Again, if that works with what you had in mind Judy :))

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2007, 21:07:56 »

The thing with mica Rookie, is that it's not exactly durable.

A single piece of mica is quite prone to flaking off, making it rather... difficult to make a bead out of. Windows however could be made of the flakes yes?
(Mind you this is based on my experience with the stuff, I don't know what properties that santh mica has in common with terran mica.)

-Salvor Hardin
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2007, 00:17:28 »

What have you done with Mica Niccoli?  If it doesn't work I'm sure I can find something else to make them out of, theres gotta be some kind of pretty rock around.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2007, 01:47:12 »

just plain quartz varieties would be beutifull material on this scale. for humans, its hard to find pieces of sufficient size, but for Brownies that canot be nearly as difficult.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2007, 16:03:22 »

Yeah that would work very well  :) I'm still attached to using the Mica though.  Hmm I really need some for myself to see what its like *sigh*.  I have seen a mica carving on Wiki, though I'm not sure how large it was.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2007, 20:59:31 »

I had to transport something about the size of a cell phone to school once. It flakes off every where, but that aside, it's like scale mail. You could make great sun catchers from it. You be farther off making the stuff out of obsidian (though there's an idea. Equal returns states that a single human arrowhead would make a brownie's great axe out of obsidian. The chips could be used for arrow heads. (Definetly a goood idea)

-Salvor Hardin
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2007, 21:17:23 »

Sorry, you can't make beads out of mica.  It's a laminar material.     I'll be writing up the entry on Mica soon and you'll get an idea of all the things you can do with the stuff...

But you have plenty of other possibilities for beads!   There are all the various types of rock already described, and the various precious or semi-precious stones.  Shells, hardwood, eur'oak, medlar and wingecherry.... seeds.... rubite....

Have fun!  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2007, 21:30:07 »

Ok, point taken (in a good way)  :D.  I honestly hadn't realised how flakey it was and was thinking more along the lines of slate.

*dances off to do some more research*

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2007, 09:13:39 »

I'm not too experienced with brownies so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't brownies trade larger beads to humans for a premium price? By the way I'm curious to know if you've thought of the method of heating up the material your working with and rapidly cooling it down in cool water thus making it flake.
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2007, 10:14:35 »

I don't think you want the beads to flake, wouldn't that make them rough.

-Salvor Hardin
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2007, 00:45:49 »

I'm not too experienced with brownies so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't brownies trade larger beads to humans for a premium price? By the way I'm curious to know if you've thought of the method of heating up the material your working with and rapidly cooling it down in cool water thus making it flake.

I am utterly confused by this post  :P Yes, Brownies will trade the beads, thats kind of why they're making them in the first place.  Also, as Niccoli says, I don't want the material to flake, thats the reason for not using Mica.

Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]