Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Wandering Tree  (Read 2394 times)
Elendilwyn
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« on: 01 April 2008, 23:53:39 »

The Wandering Tree: A Story about Unconditional Generosity
 by Master Tribell
(As recorded in Master Tribell’s Miraculous Narrations, Scholar’s Edition)

Once upon a time, there lived a magnificent Maple Tree in the garden of a modest little cottage. It was a fine big tree that produced the sweetest syrup you could ever imagine. Oh, how the children loved its syrup with their food. They would have it with biscuits, bread, tea and everything you could think of. When the time came for the tree to shed its leaves, it would drop fine golden yellow leaves that turned a crispy brown. The garden then became a playground for the kids and they would frolic in the fallen leaves from day-dawn to day-dusk.

That was until the old-lady of the cottage died.

She left behind a young son whose name is Troito. One could say that both tree and man, different as they are, are firm friends. The tree had watched the man as he grew, providing shade and company under its lush thick foliage; the man remembers spilling his heart, its desires and its woes to the silent but ever attentive tree. Oftentimes, the two of them would silently pass the day away, the tree basking in the sun and the man basking in its shade.

They thought that their lives would never change but there comes a time where a person has to go back to Sheara and so it is that his mother left him for the heavens.

Left on his own, young Troito found the freedom he never knew. Suddenly, he was free to see the world and free to do whatever his heart wills. He no longer had to take care of his mother and so one day, he decided to leave.

However, only a fool travels empty handed. Young Troito was no fool and so asked the tree for its blessing and permission to take what it could offer. A wind blew and the leaves sang

Take my blood oh young Troito
Sweet and thick and good as gold

Take my branches and my leaves
A cart they will make that never gives

Of came a branch and with an axe, off came the rest. Young Troito chopped off very single branch and more. With them he made a cart. He then drained the tree of all its sap, turning them into sweet, thick maple syrup. He poured the syrup into earthen jars and filled the cart. With the cart, the syrup and his belongings in tow, he left the cottage and the life he knew for good.

The tree without its branches and scarred by the draining was left dry and empty and had nothing more to offer. The children came no more and the cottage was left to rot with the passing days.

Young Troito made his way in the world, grew rich and forgot about the tree. He grew up and grew old. But one day, when we used up all his riches, he remembered the tree and his mother’s old cottage. He went back to see if the tree was still there and so it was, just as he had left it, old and dying, without its branches and without its leaves.

Troito was joyful because he remembered his childhood and old faithful friend. He decided to stay and make a home again. Alas, the cottage had rotten and had to be remade so Troito once again asked the tree for its blessing and permission to take what it could offer. A wind blew and the leaves sang

Take my wood oh friend Troito
Use it well and make a home

Wood is all I have old friend
Use it well to the very end

Down came the tree in small wooden planks. Slice by slice they were cut with Troito’s feeble hands. Soon nothing was left but a small little stump but a cottage was built when Torito was done. Torito passed his days sitting on that stump, talking to the tree, his old friend, the way he used to do and the tree, ever attentive, listened to his stories as well as it could.

Trees live a long time and stumps do too but man, as they say, lives no more than a candle would. Troito was called by Sheara one day and he went away, this time for good. But dear friends, if you recall the story, you would remember that there was a cart made of wood – the cart that was made from a friend old and true.

The cart was found one day by the stump. It turned up on its own by means no one could say. It would stay for a while and then disappear and so it is said, by the villages around, that in it is the spirit of the old maple tree that once stood. The cart wanders the world the way Troito did and once in a man’s lifetime it would return to the stump, staying there for a while and then disappearing again.

Over years and over time, the spirited cart was given a name, The Wandering Tree, it is now fondly called and it wanders where help is needed for all.   

For the uncharted and unexplored, for the world that is in creation and for the minds that bring it to birth - Terra Incognita.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2008, 05:39:35 »

Yay, and Elendilwyn story! :D - Got distracted today with real life, but I'll check this one as soon as possible!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2008, 06:44:37 »

This reminds me of a Shel Silverstein story, "The Giving Tree".  A lovely story.

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2008, 08:55:19 »

A delightful take on the Silverstein!   I find that it ends too abruptly though.  You have transitioned effectively into the cart's story but then cut it off - there should be at least the same amount of text which gives some of the cart's wanderings and episodes, to balance the life and death of the tree.  It shouldn't feel like an afterthought. 

Expanding that would also help to distinguish the thrust of the story from the above-referenced inspiration; the focus moves to the cart and its helpfulness to the various people it meets on its travels.  In good fairy tale style, you might have it help three people: a busy child, a heavily laden maiden, and a weary old man, say...   :) 

Thumbs up for a sweet (no pun intended!) tale of generosity!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Elendilwyn
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2008, 00:12:28 »

Yes yes... Silverstein. I love that story - it has been stuck in my head for quite a while and so I thought to do a Santharian version. Not terribly original I know but ah well...

That said, it does sound rather abrupt. 3 is a good fairytale number. I will add the cart wandering bit in. Might have to tighten the whole trust but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. cool

For the uncharted and unexplored, for the world that is in creation and for the minds that bring it to birth - Terra Incognita.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2008, 03:53:34 »

So, finally time to read it! :D - Let's see what I can comment:

- In the third paragraph you suddenly use present tense, while the rest of the story is in past tense:

... the man remembers spilling his heart, its desires and its woes to the silent but ever attentive tree. Oftentimes, the two of them would silently pass the day away, the tree basking in the sun and the man basking in its shade.

- "Sheara" is the Aeruillin High Goddess of Death as far as I know... Is it a Santharian story or an Aeruillin one? Could be still an Aeruillin one that Master Tribell has just collected, but the reference should be made a bit clearer. If not in the story itself, then at least in the introduction/tease, which is still missing at the moment.

- Something to fix here:

But one day, when we used up all his riches,...

Hey, we never used up his riches! He did it himself!

--------------------

Okeydokey, I like this tale :) Don't know the Silverstein, though, but I like this one. A good fairy-tale story, nicely written, entertaining. What Judy pointed out might even work better so that the parallelism between the two voyages is stressed better, yup, definitely a good idea.  thumbup

We'd still use the little intro/tease I mentioned above to complete its Santharian integration, and if you can update the text as Judy pointed out, even better! We hadn't had a fairy-tale on the site for quite a while, it has been about time!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]