Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Puliquay Revision  (Read 2676 times)
Tha'eli

Gained Aura: 0

Do not fear the shadows, for they should fear you.

View Profile
« on: 25 June 2008, 17:21:51 »

Okay, I've been assigned to revising the puliquay. This'll be my board for that. Anything I change or add, I'll put in yellow. Here's the original article: http://www.santharia.com/herbarium/puliquay.htm

Appearance. The Puliquay is a rare herb found mostly on the continent of Aeruillin. Blossoming in the Plain of the Dead, this ancestral flower is well sought after due to its amazing properties as a poison, but also because of its scarcity. It has a thin, brown stem and does not grow far off the ground. The bloom from this desert flower is dull and easily mistaken for a Kila weed. The dull cinnabrown color blends into the desert sand. It grows well in sweltering places or high temp and low moisture, making it perfect for this type of environment.

Territory. It is mostly found on the continent of Aeruillin, around the borders of the Plain of the Dead. As was said, the Puliquay is very scarce and cannot be detected unless one stumbles across them or one conducts a throurough search.

Usages. When boiled in water (water from the Sea of Tardulan has been found to be the most effective) the Puliquay produces a potent poison used for weakening the lungs and tightening the throat, eventually suffocating the enemy. As it is extremely dangerous in this form, only those experienced in creating poisonous drafts should even attempt this. The gas must be bottled immediately upon release - even a slight dosage is deadly. Researches think that the gas is supposed to contain small, barely recognizable and thus practically unidentifiable life-forms, which seem to be present on the surface of the bloom, but not as potent as they are in their gaseous stage. A theory suggests that these life-forms can float on the air and, when breathed in, attack the muscles in the throat and lungs, causing difficulty in breathing. Symptoms are not unlike those of the strangling disease, but, of course, of a different origin. One who experiments with this herb must proceed with extreme caution. The Brownies are the most successful at producing the poison with the least infections and/or deaths, being able to avoid the gas as the containers they use are commonly much taller than them. Not only this, but it has been found that the dangerous deadly life-forms usually float upward. Brownies are immune to the parasites in solid form. 

Myth/Lore. Though no one knows where the puliquay originated from, the Brownies were the first to harness its power. Other races have tried to add this to their arsenal, but were unable to harvest the herb in the first place, because the organisms living on the flower were still dangerous. The oils from the Brownies' pores on their fingers seemed to nullify the tiny parasites that lived on the blooms' surface, while the people of other races, such as orc, became extremely light-headed upon contact, although it was not as severe as breathing in the gaseous form. Brownies, being experts in herbs, were able to manipulate the herb to their advantage by spreading the poison towards their enemies. This, however, was only as a last resort, as they did not want to destroy the world that the Life Tree had bestowed upon them. It was said that the continent of Aeruillin was once a paradise, but an ogre, hearing the stories about the poison at the hands of the Brownies, attempted to concoct it himself and died, slowly and painfully. From then on, no non-Brownie has tried to even pluck a blossom from its stem without consulting and hiring a Brownie for assistance.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2008, 18:26:35 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

If seeing is believing...
[development]
then what do we do when we're in the dark?
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2008, 18:26:16 »

Make sure to add the missing sections as well! Just transcribe the old entry into the more recent template, and fill in any gaps (of course the optional sections remain optional)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2008, 18:46:09 »

Here I am again, taking a rest from the heat outside and the laundry (*looks at the other thread and Mira, Judy and Tharoc*)

Okay, I've been assigned to revising the puliquay.

Who has this assigned to you? (Mira? Judy?? --> read what is said in the Aeruillin forum!)
East Aeruillin is not open to developing right now, nor to revision, for that makes not much difference.

So far you job is well done, you still need an overview, but a revision is for me more than just adding a lacking paragraph or editing some errors out. And here comes the problem: The Plain of the Dead is not yet developed and might not be suitable for this plant. Defining a whole landscape already through a single plant is not a good way in developing. (This is not your fault, I know) So I would not expand on it . Maybe you could change it to borders.

The stuff about the Brownies is quite questionable in my eyes as well, they live in the void and might come here to harvest them, but is a long way for them. I don't  know, if they have poisonous blowpipes as well (or need them). More sense would make the Tiraelhon elves which live "nearby" (not in the sands of Maechalan, like the entry still says, but in the area near the Sea of Tardulan). Btw, what makes this water so special? Explain! Which again leads me to the restriction for developing. So many other places are now open, we should not add another.

If you want to continue, I ask you to read all about the Void Brownies, the Tiraelhon and the Sor'ynyt, for they might want to use this plant as well.

I might add a note here, Tha'eli. Though a lot of people of northern Sarvonia and nybelmar are screaming to get help and it is surely welcomed there, the MAIN focus of development is still Santharia and Manthria especially. I know this is nothing fairly new where you could develop new ideas, often it is much easier to start there and do you little piece of the world (like Mira e.g. who did these marvelous woods), but it is very rewarding as well (if not ore after some time) to take the time to familiarise with Manthria or Santharia and invest there your time. It takes time however, to read through the jungle there.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2008, 18:46:44 »

Mira, so you are the  evil  ?? Give her a couple of plants in the Drifting Woods to develop!

*back to RL work*
« Last Edit: 25 June 2008, 18:48:32 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2008, 19:03:06 »

Ah, she asked for an assignment, so i realy did just pick a random entry for her to work on, not even actually reading the original. (I've not read all the entries on that list, just noted those with missiong sections and moving on.)

Tha'eli, if you wish to put this entry on hiatus, can may feel free to either pick another one from the list, or scrounge some ideas for the Drifting Woods from that section of my personal to-do list, which can be found right here. If you go for the latter option, tell me which one you'd like to do (for instance, by replying on that same topic) so that i might explain any specifics i need in that entry, as many of those ideas are mere reminders for certain ecological functions i need covered.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Tha'eli

Gained Aura: 0

Do not fear the shadows, for they should fear you.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2008, 19:18:36 »

Ooh, sorry, I didn't know - I'll set this aside for now, then.

If seeing is believing...
[development]
then what do we do when we're in the dark?
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2008, 19:35:24 »

If it's any comfort Tha'eli, neither did i. :)

Avrah Kehabhra

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2008, 08:44:45 »

Well, i see of no reason to set this aside. Sure, the main area is Mantharia, but there is no reason not to flesh out what is already on the site. Anyways, it's good practice. As my dad would say, it builds character  ;)

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2008, 09:36:09 »

Well, I regret that I'll have to provide that reason, then, in a clearer form.

Just because something is 'already on the site' doesn't mean it's right, unfortunately.   Things are constantly in flux and revision, and while we always try to respect other developers' work, and fall in line with accepted precedents,  there are some 'entries' and concepts that are out-of-date, inconsistent, and so on. 

Yes, there are some details about other continents, but development on them is stopped or restricted to a few experts - certainly not something which can be assigned to a newcomer as practice!  And when we don't yet have important 'big strokes' like what things cost, a navigation system, a source of building wood, and more than one grain as a flour source, why should we waste our time on exotic poisons, for pity's sake?

No offense to you, Tha'eli - as Mira said, he picked this at random, and you can't be expected to know the unwritten rules.

But please do use your boundless energies on something which will make it onto the site AND be usable.    There are a number of plants on the To-Do list which could use your talents, and we do encourage newcomers taking the time to find something for themselves; in the search process they wind up learning a lot about their new environment!  :)   Or pitch in with one of the team projects; there's no faster way to make friends and become thoroughly loved and respected.   We hope. 

(P.S.  As Nsiki points out, practise is always useful. The three paragraphs on the Puliquay that you've done need not be considered wasted effort, in that sense - it let you get a feel for the area and the language, and let us see what you are capable of.    Go have a look around and exercise that capability in an active area!  :thumbsup )

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]