Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Master Varyn Quickblade of House Aerin  (Read 6682 times)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« on: 10 July 2008, 09:07:11 »

Overview:
Master Varyn Quickblade of House Aerin
1615- Present Day

Master Varyn Quickblade of House Aerin or simply "the Quickblade", as his students call him, was born in 1617. He is an Erpheronian known far and wide within Santharia as the founder of one of the most prestigious fencing schools in the Kingdom, and he is also credited as the founder of the dueling fad that has recently taken New-Santhala by storm. It is rumored that Varyn has participated (and won!) no less then twenty-seven duels, settling matters as trivial as a nasty glance, and as consequential as the absorption of all of House Javrith's property into the Aerin Estate.

The man's fencing school is Quickblade's Academy of Dueling Arts. Here, the techniques of wrestling, fencing, and boxing are taught, with a particular emphasis on armed dueling, of which Master Varyn himself is so famous for.

Appearance
Varyn's appearance is best described as rakish. His face, when it is not bearing a scowl at a disappointing student or a soon-dead duelist, is cast with an arrogant smirk. His short, by now steel-grey hair is cropped in a style meant to convey power and readiness, mainly by mimicking the styles soldiers must wear, while still epitomizing the style described as dashing. He also wears a short beard and mustache, further accentuating his gallant appearance. Recently, his beard has become quite grizzled and grey. Somehow, though, Varyn has not lost his sharp looks, or his cavalier attitude.

While most Proudmen dress to impress and conform, Varyn skimps on the conforming bit. Instead, he dresses flamboyantly, in the style of a romanticized pirate. His high leather boots, red sash and wide brimmed hat all were bought from southern merchants, and designed in the style preferred by those who like the idea of pyrats, but loathe the idea of sea-borne thugs. In other words, those who have never seen a true Sea-Wolf, in all their blood-soaked “glory”.The rest of Varyn's clothing retains the flamboyant theme, but it also is meant for practicality. His tight trousers and loose cotton shirt both allow for style and maximum movement. This is ideal when he needs to both fight and intimidate. Indeed, it is ideal nearly every day of Varyn's life. One may question this statement- after all; shouldn’t the Quickblade be sluggishnow that he's past his prime? Quite contrary. Varyn’s lifestyle of excitement and activity has given us a man of over fifty who looks thirty, and moves like he’s twenty.

Personality
Varyn has two sides to him - both of them dangerous. As a peer, he is sarcastic, arrogant, and hot-tempered. Varyn has been known to threaten duels to those who offend him in the slightest manner, even during a formal dinner. His cavalier, no-holds-barred attitude has driven away many a fast friend, though it seems to have attracted quite a few ladies. Varyn is notorious for his many conquests , ranging from the buskin barmaids in the dingy dens of the rough side of Santhala, to the droves of women he still beds, though he is nearly seven decades old!

As a teacher, Varyn is still sarcastic and arrogant, completed by a cruel streak a cael wide. He is perhaps the best fencing instructor in all Santharia, but he cannot be described as understanding. Meet his expectations, or suffer the consequences. This has brought much opposition among the parents of the pampered youth quickly broken by Quickblade, but no one can argue with his results. Even the clumsiest have become confident duelists under the watchful eye of the Quickblade.

Biography
1615 - Birth. Varyn was born in the city of New-Santhala to a minor noble, by the name of Captain Vaeron Strongarm Aeris and his wife, Amalinn the Kind. Both were Marcogg natives, though they had moved to New-Santhala after a lifetime of saving, always thirsting for the City of Lights (I seem to remember this phrase being used. However if I'm wrong, I'll strike this) Legend about the man states that he was born with his characteristic scowl, though this is, of course, unsubstantiated.

1600 -1615- Childhood. As a child, Varyn was ruthlessly trained by his father, a cruel and overbearing man who would not allow any imperfection in his household. Vaeron was also a fencer, and essentially forced his son to be as well. In one talk with the famous Quickblade, he related thusly:

“My father was not a kind man. Apple not far from the tree, eh?” This was followed by a smirk, grunted laugh, and a characteristic arch of the eyebrow. “I remember growing up - I was more of a reader than a fighter, really. I loved the old elven myths, especially. My mother had a wonderful library, chock-full of amazing tomes. Vaeron, my father, didn’t like me in there. So whenever he found me, late at night, candle burning, reading the adventures of elves and dwarves, he’d take me to his own little practice ring. And here, here’s where I learned to fence. See, my first practices were at quarter to midnight, just after, maybe. So of course I was tired. But I’d be fighting on no sleep, ready to drop. I never did. The old bastard came at me with such a fury, such an anger, that I couldn’t. The swords weren’t practice blades either. He’d almost always stop, or just swipe me with the side of his blade, leaving scratches, never scars. Like he was punishing me for reading. For reading! That son of Co'or was probably jealous, is all. I don't think he cracked the spine of a book once." Again, Varyn pauses. "But, one night, he did this.” Varyn stops, lifts up his shirt, revealing a perfectly circular scar, just below and to the left of his stomach. “I wasn’t always lucky, and my blade wasn’t always quick.”

The abouve quote was taken down when the author of this entry had the pleasure of meeting with the Quickblade himself. No, no duels were initiated.

This "kill-or-be-killed" environment forced Varyn into a prodigious fighter, much to his father's pride and envy. At the age of 16, Vaeron's conflicting emotions found common ground, and Varyn was sent to live at a fencing academy. This decision was made to the dismay of his mother - from all accounts, a sweet, beautiful woman who loved nothing more than to dote upon her son, and hated nothing more than her ruthless husband.

1616-1620 - Training. Varyn was trained by the best- a former Swift Sword mercenary by the name of Dagar Goldentip. Dagar was humble, a bit overbuilt, and had loved the sword from his very first years. In other words, the antithesis of Varyn. Dagar was one of the first fencers in Santharia, guiding the art of one-handed, light-armored dueling into the fluid art of fencing we know today. However, if Dagar was the father of dueling, then Varyn is its perfector. Ever since he began training in 1616, Varyn has been giving the art of fencing new life, and inspiring hundreds in the Santhala area to settle their affairs the Erpheronian style - at the tip of the sword instead of the gavel.

The first known instance of a legal dispute settled by a deadly blade was indeed from Quickblade himself. After a woman (or conquest, as Varyn describes), left him but took his moneybag, Varyn tracked her down and demanded his coin purse back. Her father, a rough and ready Eyelian sailor, in Santhala to visit his daughter, intervened. Varyn tossed the man a sword (he is known for wearing two), and bet the man. “If you can best me with a blade, little Greyler,” he said, “You may take my money and both these blades. However, if I defeat you, I get the purse, and your daughter.” Blinded by rage, the man accepted. He was killed in less than ten blinks, with a single thrust to the neck. The woman, frozen in fear was knocked to the ground. Varyn retrieved the purse, but left her to explain the mess. However, city watchmen are sometimes known to turn a blind eye when gold is passed, and the matter was forgotten. Ever since, gold has been accepted as an unofficial “Court Avoidance Fee in the Case of Extra-Court Judgments”, and dueling has (some would say sadly) taken hold over New-Santhala, even though it is not "officialy" tolerated.

Dagar perhaps saw that Varyn had a spark of destiny in him (after all, not every lad develops a new legal practice for a coin purse), and trained him in the art of “True Orc Fighting”, a martial art centered on defeating your opponent with flair and brutality. How Dagar learned the closely guarded secret is a mystery, but what is known is that it was a perfect fit for the brash young Varyn.  After Dagar noted Varyn’s obvious proficiency for all things martial, he offered Varyn a teaching position on Varyn's twentieth birthday.

1621-1630- Inheritance. Varyn obviously did not return to his father after his graduation from Goldentip's Academy. Instead, he worked with Dagar to train the next wave of students in a new, theatrical, style of fencing. Dagar's style, called Injera School, professed a simple, direct, style of fencing characterized by straight thrusts and wrist-flick parries. Varyn, however, developed a new style, called Silarna School. Though many preferred Injera School for its cool simplicity, the gaudy, energetic Silarna School caught on quickly. Soon, Varyn had more students than Dagar. And shortly after Varyn's 21st, birthday, Varyn would have all the students. Dagar Goldentip passed in 1622, leaving Varyn everything he had, including Goldentip Academy (which is now Quickblade Academy). This move would be echoed two years later by Vaeron Aerin, in his will. Though the father and son had not talked in nine years, everything was left to Varyn, as his mother had died three years prior, without Varyn's knowledge. The news came as a shock to Varyn. His wealth was doubled instantly, but the passing of his mother hit him like it had only happened that day, instead of almost 2000 days ago. He cared deeply about his mother, and would evermore have the words “Lyth ac Amalinn” or Love to Amalinn” inscribed on his blades in respect to her.

1631 - present. The House Silarna. With Houses Goldentip and Aerin both seceded to Varyn, there has recently been the formation of House Silarna, Varyn's own line. Though the legal channels were murky, and navigation nearly impossible due to bureaucracy, any of Varyn’s legal, recognized, heirs  will be born under the Silarna name. How did Varyn clear up the legal muck so quickly? Simple. He challenged the bureaucrats involved to a duel. One, full of foolish bravado accepted, and upon his death, Varyn demanded that his paperwork move a bit more quickly.

Though the man is not married, it is rumored he has several sons. One young man, in fact, has been making an awful lot of noise. The son of a barmaid from the grungy “Gryph’s Nest” tavern, young Jiath Brugly insists he is the product of an affair, where his mother was bedded by Varyn, who supposedly left the next morning with not so much as a curt “goodbye”. However, Varyn has his eye on several promising students, any of which are more likely to be chosen as his heir.

Importance
First and foremost, Varyn is responsible for creating a fad out of fencing, mainly with the introduction of the Silarna School. Opposed to the Injèrá style of fencing, Silarna School is much gaudier, which suits Varyn just fine. The parries are done in wide, sweeping arcs, meant to direct the opponent's blade farther away, and the strikes are often accompanied by a shift in level. Ducking and thrusting, then, is a key move for the more dexterous members of Silarna School. Also, while only torso strikes and light parries are permitted in Injèrá School, Silarna School allows face strikes (if a face mask is worn) and chopping motions when parrying.

This style has been used countless times by Varyn in street duels, which are becoming increasingly common. Though this does worry certain dignitaries and court officials, it has so far received a blind eye, as many of New-Santhala's best duelists are high-ranking members of the nobility.

Also, in the last decade, a group of “Quickblades” has emerged, Varyn poseurs who have taken the Silarna School and applied it to many aspects of life. His “followers” dress in gaudy, flashy, clothes, and follow the “Quickblade Code”. The Quickblade code builds more off the legend of the man than the man himself. It professes the virtues of fairness in combat, kindness to ladies, and respect for masters, virtues all held by Varyn - but only when it suits him. In truth, the “Quickblades” are despised by the real one - not a single mimicker has ever passed through Varyn’s Academy, nor does he intend to accept anyone who tries to mimic him. It seems, in Varyn’s case, imitation is the least sincere form of flattery. 

Picture
Bard's Rakish Noble Picture

« Last Edit: 04 August 2008, 03:32:10 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2008, 09:11:48 »

Goodie goodie!  Let me know if you need any checks or ideas, Nsiki - he should be fun to do!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2008, 02:53:54 »

Thank you Bard!

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2008, 04:56:32 »

First draft finished!
Comments?

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2008, 19:30:31 »

Vaerin?

Sounds very similar to Verain- http://www.santharia.com/pictures/sheil/letan_bird.htm

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2008, 22:51:47 »

Mmmm, and I'm not keen on "Vaerin of Aerin", either....  he'd have been teased about that far too often.

How's about:

"Varron"
"Varyn"
"Verrun"
"Faerun"

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2008, 23:28:16 »

Vaerin changed to Varyn.
And I didn't actually notice that ridiculous rhyme at first..... good catch!

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2008, 01:57:43 »

I may get a chance to take a closer look later, but my first thought when looking at this was "jeez, he's young!". I realize 34 seems to fit the picture of his personality, but it doesn't align with the amount of respect (or lack of) and experience that he has gained. I would say, +10 years somewhere. Make him 44, and say, 6 more years in the training section, and 4 more in the last one.

Just my opinion though, you can do what you want with this intriguing fellow. :)

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2008, 12:02:17 »

Is fad a Santharian word? And, it would be neat to read perhaps some stories from his students or maybe something from his personal diary to get a glimpse of his personality.

Purely optional, of course, but I think some personal insight would flesh him out more. The entry seems rather dry as it is stating facts and figures only.  undecided

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2008, 17:46:02 »

Some quick notes, questions, remarks.. 

Overview:
1634- Present Day

Master Varyn Quickblade of House Aerin or the Quickblade, as his students call him, was born in 1634. He is known far and wide within Santharia as the founder of one of the most prestigious fencing schools in all Santharia, and the founder of the dueling fad that has recently taken New-Santhala by storm. It is rumoured that Varyn has participated (and won!) no less then twenty-seven duels, settling matters as trivial as a nasty glance, and as consequential as the absorption of all of House Javrith's property into the Aerin Estate.
The man's fencing school is Quickblade's Academy of Dueling Arts. Here, the techniques of wrestling, fencing, and boxing are taught, with a particular emphasis on armed dueling.

Appearance
Varyn's appearance is best described as rakish. His face, when it is not bearing a scowl at a disappointing student or a soon-dead duelist, is cast with an arrogant smirk. His short black hair is cropped in a style meant to convey power, and readiness by mimicking the styles soldiers must wear, while still epitomizing the style described as dashing. He also wears a short beard and mustache, further accentuating his gallant appearance.
While most Proudmen dress to impress and conform, Varyn skimps on the conforming bit. Instead, he dress flamboyantly, in the style of a romanticized pirate. His high leather boots, red sash and wide brimmed hat all were bought from southern merchants, and designed in the style preferred by those who like the idea of pirates, but loathe the idea of sea-borne thugs.
The rest of Varyn's clothing retains the flamboyant theme, but also is meant for practicality. His tight trousers and loose cotton shirt both allow for style and maximum movement. This is ideal when he needs to both fight and intimidate. Indeed, it is ideal nearly every day of Varyn's life.

Personality
Varyn has two sides to him- both of them dangerous. As a peer, he is sarcastic, arrogant, and hot-tempered. Varyn has been known to threaten duels to those who offend him in the slightest manner, even during a formal dinner. He is not a much loved man, unless he is in the midst of a seduction. Only then could Varyn truly be described as charismatic. And of course, these seductions often lead to more duels, so he is never charismatic for long.
As a teacher, Varyn is simmilar, except with a cruel streak. He is perhaps the best fencing instructor in all Santharia, but he can not be described as understanding. Meet his expectations, or suffer the consequences. This has brought much opposition among the parents of the pampered youth quickly broken by Quickblade, but no one can argue with his results. Even the clumsiest have become confident duelists under the watchful eye of the Quickblade.

Biography

1634- Birth. Varyn was born in the city of New-Santhala to a minor noble, by the name of Vaeron Aeris and his wife, Amalinn. Legend about the man states that he was born with his characteristic scowl, though this is, of course, unsubstantiated.

1634-1649- Childhood. As a child, Varyn was ruthlessly abused by his own father, a cruel and overbearing man who would not allow any imperfection in his household. Vaeron was also a fencer, and essentially forced his son to be as well. If Varyn's guard was broken, he would be beaten. If Varyn didn't get enough strikes against his father, he would be beaten. And if Varyn didn't quite meet his father's impossible standards, he would of course be beaten.
This "kill-or-be-killed" environment forced Varyn into an prodigious fighter, much to his father's pride and envy. At the age of 16, Vaeron's conflicting emptions found common ground, and Varyn was sent to live at a fencing academy.

There is surely more to say than that, what about relatives, mother, friends..

AND, you need to consider, that you are writing as a medieval researcher and that child beating was a widely accepted form of education. Your repetition of the "being beaten" might be not very objective described. 

1650-1654- Training. Varyn was trained by the best- a former Swift Sword mercenary by the name of  Dagar Goldentip. Name? How build? From where was he?   Dagar was one of the first fencers in Santharia, guiding the art of one-handed, light-armored dueling into the fluid art of Fencing we know today. However, if Dagar was the father of dueling, then Varyn is its    perfecter. And ever since he began training in 1650, Varyn has been giving the art of fencing new life, and inspiring hundreds in the Santhala area to settle their affairs at the tip of the sword instead of the gavel.
Dagar perhaps saw that Varyn had a spark of destiny in him, and trained him in the art of Domino brawling, What is that?   and offered Varyn a teaching position on Varyn's twentieth birthday.

1655-1664- Inheritance. Varyn obviously did not return to his father after his graduation from Goldentip's Academy.   For a society with not many schools yet there are a lot of "academies" around.  Instead, he worked with Dagar to train the next wave of students in a new, theatrical, style of fencing. Dagar's style, called Injera school, professed a simple, direct, style of fencing characterized by straight thrusts and wrist-flick parries. Varyn, however, developed a new style, called Silarna school. Though many preferred Injera school for it's cool simplicity, the gaudy, energetic Silarna school caught on quickly. Soon, Varyn had more students then Dagar. And shortly after Varyn's 21st, birthday, Varyn would have all the students. Dagar Goldentip passed in 1656, leaving Varyn everything he had, including Goldentip Academy (which is now Quickblade Academy). This move would be echoed two years later by Vaeron Aerin, in his will. Though the father and son had not talked in nine years, everything was left to Varyn, as his mother had died three years prior, without Varyn's knowledge.
That assumes a practise of inheritage we have not yet talked about   

1664-present. The House Silarna.
With Houses Goldentip and Aerin both seceded to Varyn, there has recently been the formation of House Silarna, Varyn's own line. Though the man is not married, it is rumored he has several sons. In addition, Varyn has his eye on several promising students, any of which could be his potential heir.

Is that house creating so simple, has it not be granted by some officials? I still don't know, from which tribe he really was/is 

Importance
First and foremost, Varyn is responisble for creating a fad out of fencing, mainly with the introduction of the Silarna school. Opposed to the Injera style of fencing, Silarna school is much more gaudy, which suits Varyn just fine. The parries are done in wide, sweeping arcs, meant to direct the opponent's blade farther away, and the strikes are often accompined by a shift in level. Ducking and thrusting, then is a key move by the more dexterous members of Silarna school. Also, while only torso strikes and light parries are permitted in Injera school, Silarna school allows face strikes (if a face mask is worn) and chopping motions when parrying.
This style has been used countless times by Varyn in street duels, which are becoming increasingly common. Though this does worry certain politicians and court officials, it has so far received a blind eye, as many of the Santhala's best duelists are high-ranking members of the nobility.   

This Injera and Silarna schools are somehow - suddenly here, maybe you write some more about them. --> Silarna might not be the name of our moon...

An interesting man, described very short and dry. There must be some more flesh possible - sons without mentioning some beautiful lovers... ;)

Spellcheck please, even on a first draft! :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2008, 22:26:32 »

I suspect many of the affectations of dueling were indeed supported or caused by those same 'beautiful lovers'.  In general, that is, not merely Varyn's light-o-loves.  Causus belli => cherche la femme - if you'll excuse the dreadful mashup of two terran tongues... 

This entry would be an excellent vehicle to expand and expound briefly upon the concept of 'courtly love' and 'chivalrie', which we haven't seen much of for a medieval universe. 

Varyn's loss of a faithless female might be just the little additional fillip to make his character that cold and devil-may-care youth, embittered at an early age....or his subsequent hopeless devotion to an unattainable (chaste and wed) woman which caused him to forswear fickle passion.

His followers, emulating him through every changing detail of eccentric conduct, flamboyant dress, verbal style, and then moral precepts,  may well have begun to formulate a 'code of courtly conduct' which is just beginning to become 'a fad' in wider circles, as noble youths (and would-be class-jumpers) seize upon the latest attitude de jour.

It would certainly go a long ways towards explaining why this fencing master (talented though he may be) deserves an entry in the Compendium, if his story inspires an entire 'new' philosophy.

You might even consider making him older (still living, but the picture not a contemporary representation) so that his 'legend' and 'life' will have had time to become a concrete mode of thought.  Am I making sense here?  It's getting late!

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2008, 03:10:41 »

I like the ideas all- especially about making him older!
I'll work on expanding the history section over the next couple days. In the meantime, thank you!

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2008, 06:16:57 »

As bladeleaf and the village are done (till next edit) I'm going to resume work here. I'll make him older, and start creation of this "Quickblade Cult". Now, can I assume an inheritence process in Santharia?

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2008, 09:30:36 »

It's appropriately medieval.  Just don't make it comprehensive: some societies would inherit along the matriarchal line, some patriarchal, some to the oldest child no matter what gender, and some have been known to pass to the 'sister's son' - so don't assume too narrow a field.   

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2008, 09:58:36 »

That's fine. With only mother, father, and son in this family, and the mother having died, logically it would pass to Quickblade regardless.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]