Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Political Nybelmar ~ Map and Entry Update!  (Read 8515 times)
Eléyr Fásamár
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

Serenity's Embodiement

View Profile
« on: 16 July 2008, 00:41:37 »

Well, as most of you know I've been worrying over outdatedness on the main Nybelmar entry and its map. So, Coren advised that if I wanted I could update the entry, and I've began to work on that. However, before I start the entry, I decided that I would redo the map. (As I feel that I *need* to have a reference when describing these things) So, I took the Nybelmar map, and began shading it with 60% opacity so that it looked like the old map, except with updated territories and stuff. I, personally, am very excited to have this in the works, as I really require this kind of thing to function.

I'm not *done* yet, for multiple reasons, one being that I just don't have time to finish it until later today. Secondly, I've really only studied the Eastern half of Nybelmar, as it has been more my interest, so I need your input as to 'where' the Western Empires go exactly... rolleyes

Some of the stuff isn't clearly defined in its own entry yet, but I scrounged it together from little snippets of info from various places. Eventually they'll need an entry of their own I suppose... ;) There's still more that I can add later (Korweyn, Anis-Anpagan, etc.) but I need your guys' help on the other side of the continent, as best as you can.

So here's what I have so far... I'll continue to update this as I complete more.

Click on the Image to Enlarge

Note~ When the picture has been completed and the entry is being written, I shall move this into the places forum for integration.

EDIT: You may need to refresh your browser to get the 'updated' version of the image. It should have three colored spaces and their names if it is the correct version.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2008, 00:48:39 by Eléyr Fásamár » Logged

~Maladies of the Mind are best soothed by those who suffer similar Afflictions~
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2008, 00:46:25 »

Hey,

I've cleared my cache, refreshed, etc. etc. etc. and I still can't see it. Just me?

EDIT: Ok i got it, third time restarting my browser was the charm I guess. :D
« Last Edit: 16 July 2008, 00:49:13 by Drúadan » Logged

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2008, 00:48:49 »

http://stuff.santharia.com/coren/nybelmar_politics.jpg

This map effectively illustrates the CURRENT POLITICAL LANDSCAPE of Western Nybelmar....If you could find a way to merge the two together....Very good map....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2008, 01:01:57 »

This is a very good project  Eleyr, and one i intend to make a lot of use of once i start drawing the Nybelmar Master Map! do make use of our Western version, it's all over the Nybelmar board!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Eléyr Fásamár
Aspiring Member

Serenity's Embodiement

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2008, 01:07:28 »

Yes, that will work. I can effectively blend them together, and that is so much easier then doing the entire continent! Thanks for that, Decipher. I had not found that map yet, but we all know how things can pass me by fairly easily... I shall continue to work with these ASAP

EDIT~ Ooh, this one's bigger and much easier to read as well!
« Last Edit: 16 July 2008, 01:15:09 by Eléyr Fásamár » Logged

Eléyr Fásamár
Aspiring Member

Serenity's Embodiement

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2008, 01:18:23 »

Coren~ Do you know what font you used for labeling the countries in that map?

Coren: Times New Roman probably. I had the original photoshop file but it seems to have been misplaced when I changed my laptop... I'll have a dig around.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2008, 02:38:08 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2008, 05:29:54 »

If I remember correctly the original Nybelmar map uses Seagull LT, a font from the site and used in Arti's map for the normal/smaller texts.

Good idea to update this. I was trying to find the source data to the nybelmar map for the last hour and finally found it but sadly the only disc containing the 300 mb archive of nybelmar is corrupted and the archive cannot be opened. Trying to see if Isobuster or somesuch can do something with the disc but I have little hope if the archive data itself got corrupted.

My suggestion for the Murmillions would be to limit them to the sickle entirely . Anything beyond might be settled by either them or someone else but it shouldn't be their domain anymore.

Anyhow, the romp through my archives was quite nostalgic. You wouldn't believe how the first drafts of Nybelmar looked and where the countries ended up today!! :)
Eléyr Fásamár
Aspiring Member

Serenity's Embodiement

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2008, 11:31:50 »

Alright, I've been working with Coren's map, and I've got a lot done. It's below, for all of you to see

(Click Image to enlarge)

I had to convert it to a JPEG to upload it, but I still have the file with all the layers and stuff saved on my computer, so I can edit any of the territories I might have screwed up. buck

So, yeah, this was all the information I could garner. I kept anything from the old entry that didn't conflict with new stuff, and then added the more recent territories in as well. The southwest was pretty well defined, but I couldn't quite figure out what was in the north. Except for Loreney, which I didn't want to add until I know what is around it, to make sure it's the right size, and doesn't conflict with what might be added there.

Basically, nothing on the site indicates what is there. (Except that the Cyraskith orcs are *not* there :P) So, do we want to place something new in that area? That would be exciting! :D Not that I don't have enough empires in the west anyways...

Side Note: I've figured out bits and pieces of the Nybelmarian Language based on reading the maps. Such as "Oberion" being "Hills" and "Faellalion" (or something like that) means "forest". Oh, and "Pallaelon" means "plains".

So, yes. Northern Empires... Anything there already, or new people.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2008, 12:47:20 by Eléyr Fásamár » Logged

Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2008, 11:20:23 »

I would extend the elven nomads into the Paelleon Vaerath (or however I called it). Main reason would be that nomads need more space than urban/rural people to sustain themselves which is why I would suggest to limit the realms of Sarthera and Nybelriod to not cover all the space they currently occupy. Maybe not so much in that they do not claim these lands but that they do not directly control them aside of permanent settlements.

Similarily various Chyrakisth sects/clans should inhabit the eastern plains between Ehebion and their mountain strongholds. These clans would be just overall more primitive and poor and would be in constant conflict with the plain elves.

Small quibble would be that the Coorhem might do without the northern forests, maybe like above they are contested between them and the Chyrakisth.

That's just some suggestions how I initially had the stuff in my head. You may alter it as you see fit. For the northeastern corner (the area west of the plains beyond the hills with the small forests) I imagined a country named Loreney who are rather urban people getting manhandled by Santerrans or R'unorians depending on who is controlling the seas. R'unor should be off to the north of Nybelmar.

Congratulations on figuring out the language! You must be the first who had the interest/necessity to decipher them. :)

btw: before you are worried that I'm meddling too much into your ideas I'm really finished with developing. I mainly want to assure you that I have not fallen off the face of the Earth so if you want to get a clearer picture of some of the gibberish I did in Nybelmar you can still ask me. ;)
« Last Edit: 24 July 2008, 11:26:39 by Rakshiri » Logged
Eléyr Fásamár
Aspiring Member

Serenity's Embodiement

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2008, 07:13:26 »

Oh, I certainly don't mind your 'meddlings'. I asked for comments and answers to questions, and with you being the original developer of the continent, your opinion is ideal. Big Grin

I shall certainly use the territory quibbles in the entry, though I'll have to work on how I might signify that on the map, though I have a few ideas... nod

I knew about Loreney, though was just seeing if there was anything else up there that I should know about, before adding them in in an overlapping spot or something. rolleyes

So, I'll get to work on the areas you suggested ASAP, and post the updated version of the map here when I finish! :)

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2008, 08:29:51 »

Uhm, I got one "quibble" myself :)

The two tiny islands southeast of the Anpagan peninsula that figure as being part of Korweyn/Kaleman are actually part of Anpagan. The largest of the two is actually the Ansaran Island - their mage guild headquarters.
Eléyr Fásamár
Aspiring Member

Serenity's Embodiement

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2008, 20:52:59 »

Okay! I'll get that fixed for the fnal version. :)

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2008, 23:50:35 »

In case you'd like some fresh names;
Mushroom People=Morchini
Far Easterners=Tarshiïnites
? in the Germon Doith has been updated into a mixture of Moh'sys (below ground) and Cairnhoom (above)

Also, the Inami/Tarshiïn border will probably be changed, with the Inami side retracting to make room for the Trumarim Dwarves, and the empty bit around the east entance to the pass through the Germon Doith to the Scepteres Tarshiïn has been changed to a forested area inhabited by some very odd demi-race. (no official name yet, i think)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2008, 01:19:13 »

Re: the pass:

PLEASE do not make these changes without consulting me, Mira & Deci. It would be nice to be told beforehand. I believe I have requested this politely several times. Every time the same issue surfaces, I get closer and closer to an invisible threshold. Soon I shall cease to be polite.

That empty area is where the Efferdita have their settlements, where they come back to after their wanderings. How could you have known this? You could not have. Ergo, you ought to ask.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2008, 01:42:04 »

Crap, it ate my reply.

Coren, for the gods' sake, DONT DO THAT! When you give us a map of the west-nybelmarian powers and nations, we expect it to be complete, so if we find an open area, we will fill it in.

As per the pass; The demirace are treedwellers, !communicate with humans, and tiny. Could they cohabitate? Also, the pass was thought of as a highly usefull trade route for the Faen and others, does that cause trouble with the Eff's?

On a more general note;
How could you have known this? You could not have. Ergo, you ought to ask.
This, my dear Coren, is exactly why it is so frustrating for us to try and scetch out Nybelmar.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2008, 01:44:17 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]