Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Arv -ReWork  (Read 3814 times)
Navar The Rogue Assassin

Gained Aura: 1

Seeking a Mentor

View Profile
« on: 28 December 2008, 08:33:41 »

The original entry was done by Uragel. And all my additions will be in Goldenrod and changes based off Rookies comments are in Teal and my comments to Rookie Red

THE ARV

APPEARANCE - TERRITORY - USAGES

Named after its founder Arv Teus who suffered the first documented case of Arvious (Arvious = Addiction to the plant and then dying from exhaustion while under the influence of the Arv). Having high levels of caffeine (Hey Rookie, about the caffeine, I thought it was weird too but it managed to get passed on the dev board so apparently Santharians know about caffeine, who knew?  ;)) the Arv becomes very addictive as it stops the consumer wanting to sleep and causing either severe sleep deprivation or in some cases Arv's Death can occur. (As far as cutting this part out of the overview, I dont know. It informs the reader at first glance that the plant can be fatal, so I think it is important to keep it in, maybe a re write to make it fit better? What do you think?)

Appearance.The Arv is a leafy plant about 3/4 peds in height with a bulb of greenery on the top with small white flowers hanging off the branches. In amongst the mess of a plant are small unattractive brown lumps (seeds) attached mainly to the thin main stem of the plant.

It is the small brown seeds which when eaten causes the caffeine effect mentioned earlier. They are highly addictive and should be used only with extreme caution. (Moving this to the usage section)

Territory. These plants are very rare growing about the warmer coastal regions of southern Sarvonia, feeding from the salt water in the air. Although a few reports indicate that the Arv may have even spread to the coasts of Yamalquain and even as far as eastern Nybelmar. It remains unclear how the Arv made it so far across the sea but some accounts say it was brought over by smugglers trying to farm the plant for their addictive purposes. (It is just farmed on the southern coast of Sarvonia, I actually did not have a specific place in mind. If you think I need to elaborate further I will.)

Usages. The plant is used with extreme caution, for healing purposes, but only by the most careful of clerics - as this plant, if incorrectly handled can cause (and has already caused in some cases) the death of the patient. It needs no preparation other than to simply bite into the brown seed. It is a 'caffeine boost', which, if taken in large doses, can cause heavy chest pains, rapid chest flutters, addiction and in extreme cases death.

The caffeine high gives its user increased energy and strength for a short given time. In addition to this the user is put in a state of utter euphoria and is blissfully unaware of their surroundings and act on pure emotion. This affect is also known as Arvious.

Cases have been reported of the extreme affects of Arvious. Those reported to be under the influence of the Arv seem to have a blithe yet distant look on their face. While in this state those intoxicated have been known to take down several full grown men with ease. In addition to their strength increase they have also been reported to almost double in their own natural speed. Also the user seems to be unaware of almost any physical pain the they may be in and they subjects tend to have no memory of what they have done while in Arvious.

This is why many try to farm the Arv for its special properties. Many soldiers will use this drug before entering combat to dull pain and increase their strength. However it has been outlawed in Sarvonia because of the likely hood of over dose. However the drug is still in common use by the Tethinrhim elves. While mainly a passive tribe, the warriors of the Tethinrhim have been known to use the Arv for its beneficial traits. The Tethinrhim, upon entering Arvious, become faster and stronger. Under the influence the Tethinrhim are able to not only increase their bow fire rate but also the power behind each shot. With their increased strength they can torque their bows and use much less stamina allowing them to fight longer.

Reproduction. The Arv has the ability to reproduce without the use of pollen. While it is a flowering plant it lacks external stamen. In fact both the Stamen and Ovaries are contained with in the center of the Arv.The center of the Arv is filled with a green slime that houses both the Stamen and the Ovaries of the plant. During spring the Arv will begin to produce its pollen and the pollen is then carried to the ovaries via the green slime.

(Just for you Rookie, if its ok with Judith and Miraran, I'll add on to the slime.)

The seeds acquire their properties from the green slime. The slime is actually a concentrated form of the seeds and should be handled with extreme caution. As the slime dries the caffeine properties are absorbed into the seed and are greatly diminished. However the seeds are still to be handled with great care.

The slime is very dangerous and should not come in direct contact with skin. The slime is very potent and is rumored to be able to put one into a permanent state of Arvious just be contact with the skin. However if one handles the slime with proper care it can be boiled down to a concentrate and diluted to create a powerful potion that has various affects ranging from the average Arvious to Arv's Death.     

Upon germination the plant will ooze out the green slime which contains the now forming seeds. With in minuted the ooze will harden and form a protective layer as the seeds develop. With in a few weeks the seed will fully develop and will be loosed from their protective shell. The seed will then be carried by the sea to shores all along the coast washing up on high tide. However very few seed make it back to shore and most are consumed by fish. Upon ingestion the fish enter a state of Arvious, which can be transferred to any unlucky fisherman who manages to catch a fish undergoing Arvious..   
« Last Edit: 14 January 2009, 10:45:20 by Navar The Rogue Assassin » Logged

There are those who KILL and those who are KILLED, guess which one YOU are.
Navar The Rogue Assassin

Seeking a Mentor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2008, 07:08:24 »

Ok this is my first run through. I will probably rework the reproduction section, I don't quite like the flow of it. Ok let me know what you think.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2008, 06:32:01 »

Just a suggestion: Don't use red to write your entries, some of us old-timers have trouble reading it!

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Navar The Rogue Assassin

Seeking a Mentor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2008, 13:21:16 »

Sorry about that hope thats better.

Navar The Rogue Assassin

Seeking a Mentor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2009, 08:21:02 »

Ok Im done. I completely reworked reproduction so you may want to re-read it. Hope its ok ^.^

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2009, 22:15:11 »

Hey Navar, hope I can give you some helpful suggestions in the wonderful colour of teal

Edit:  I just realised I'm commenting on the old entry as well as your rewrite, but I'm going to continue as I think there are a couple of important bits there.

THE ARV

Named after its founder Arv Teus who suffered the first documented case of Arvious (Arvious = Addiction to the plant and then dying from exhaustion while under the influence of the Arv). I would shorten this to the bare minimum and put all the details in "usages".  People will know where to find them anyway. Having high levels of caffeine Do we know about caffeine? the Arv becomes very addictive as it stops the consumer wanting to sleep and causing either severe sleep deprivation or in some cases Arv's Death can occur.

Appearance. The Arv is a leafy plant about .75 peds Use fractions rather than decimals in height with a bulb of greenery on the top with small white flowers hanging off the branches. In amongst the mess of a plant are small unattractive brown lumps (seeds) attached mainly to the thin main stem of the plant.

It is the small brown seeds which when eaten causes the caffeine effect mentioned earlier. They are highly addictive and should be used only with extreme caution.  Again, I would just leave this in the usages section and simply describe the plant.  It would be useful to know what it's like in different seasons - when the seeds are ready for harvest for example.

Territory. These plants are very rare growing about the warmer coastal regions of southern Sarvonia, feeding from the salt water in the air. Although a few reports indicate that the Arv may have even spread to the coasts of Yamalquain and even as far as eastern Nybelmar. It remains unclear how the Arv made it so far across the sea but some accounts say it was brought over by smugglers trying to farm the plant for their addictive purposes.  So is it farmed in Sarvonia as well?  Where abouts?

Usages. The plant is used with extreme caution for healing purposes, but only by the most careful of clerics - as this plant, if incorrectly handled can cause (and has already caused in some cases) the death of the patient. It needs no preparation other than to simply bite into the brown seed. It is a 'caffeine boost', which, if taken in large doses, can cause heart problems, addiction and in extreme cases death. Personally I would change "heart problems" to something more medieval - "flutterings of the pulse" maybe.  Something that sounds like they don't really know what is going on!

The caffeine high gives its user increased energy and strength for a short given time.  In addition to this the user is put in a state of utter euphoria and is blissfully unaware of their surroundings and act on pure emotion. This affect is also known as Arvious.  It would be great to have some examples of what people do during Arvious.

This is why many try to farm the Arv for its special properties. Many soldiers will use this drug before entering combat to dull pain and increase their strength. However it has been outlawed in Sarvonia because of the likely hood of over dose. However the drug is still in common use by the Tethinrhim elves. While mainly a passive tribe, the warriors of the Tethinrhim have been known to use the Arv for its beneficial traits and how does that improve their abilities?  Can you give us some details?  They're excellent bowmen aren't they?  Could it affect that?

Reproduction. The Arv has the ability to reproduce without the use of pollen. While it is a flowering plant it lacks external stamen. In fact both the Stamen and Ovaries are contained with in the center of the Arv.The center of the Arv is filled with a green slime that houses both the Stamen and the Ovaries of the plant. During spring the Arv will begin to produce its pollen and the pollen is then carried to the ovaries via the green slime.  Oooo, I do love strange green slime!...erm..that came out wrong.  What I meant was that I love incorporating weird things into Brownie drinks/medicine/general life.  The Milken Brownies could probably have access to it as they live in Milkengrad, a trading port.  Does it have the same properties as the seeds?  Or anything else?  *Rubs hands together excitedly*

Upon germination the plant will ooze out the green slime which contains the now forming seeds. With in minuted the ooze will harden and form a protective layer as the seeds develop. With in a few weeks the seed will fully develop and will be loosed from their protective shell. The seed will then be carried by the sea to shores all along the coast. But how will it get from the sea to some good soil?  Maybe stuck to wading birds? Or just when the tide is really high? However very few seed make it back to shore and most are consumed by fish. Upon ingestion the fish enter a state of Arvious, which can be transferred to any unlucky fisherman who manages to catch a fish undergoing Arvious..   

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Navar The Rogue Assassin

Seeking a Mentor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2009, 10:46:46 »

Ok Rookie done, tell me if I got everything.

Navar The Rogue Assassin

Seeking a Mentor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2009, 05:13:56 »

.....so is it good, do I get a shiny blue arrow?

Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2009, 01:50:03 »

THE ARV

Named after its founder Arv Teus who suffered the first documented case of Arvious (Arvious = Addiction to the plant and then dying from exhaustion while under the influence of the Arv). Having high levels of caffeine (Hey Rookie, about the caffeine, I thought it was weird too but it managed to get passed on the dev board so apparently Santharians know about caffeine, who knew?  Mira Sais; They did not. Back then the quality level of entries was much lower than today, which is exactly why the Arv needed updating. So no caffeïn for you! (but we dó have a coffee-like drink, so maybe you can work with that?) the Arv becomes very addictive as it stops the consumer wanting to sleep and causing either severe sleep deprivation or in some cases Arv's Death can occur. (As far as cutting this part out of the overview, I dont know. It informs the reader at first glance that the plant can be fatal, so I think it is important to keep it in, maybe a re write to make it fit better? What do you think?)

Appearance.The Arv is a leafy plant about 3/4 peds in height with a bulb of greenery on the top with small white flowers hanging off the branches. In amongst the mess of a plant are small unattractive brown lumps (seeds) attached mainly to the thin main stem of the plant. Mira sais; Expand!

It is the small brown seeds which when eaten causes the caffeine effect mentioned earlier. They are highly addictive and should be used only with extreme caution. (Moving this to the usage section)

Territory. These plants are very rare growing about the warmer coastal regions of southern Sarvonia, feeding from the salt water in the air. Although a few reports indicate that the Arv may have even spread to the coasts of Yamalquain and even as far as eastern Nybelmar. It remains unclear how the Arv made it so far across the sea but some accounts say it was brought over by smugglers trying to farm the plant for their addictive purposes. (It is just farmed on the southern coast of Sarvonia, I actually did not have a specific place in mind. If you think I need to elaborate further I will.)

Usages. The plant is used with extreme caution, for healing purposes, but only by the most careful of clerics - as this plant, if incorrectly handled can cause (and has already caused in some cases) the death of the patient. It needs no preparation other than to simply bite into the brown seed. It is a 'caffeine boost', which, if taken in large doses, can cause heavy chest pains, rapid chest flutters, addiction and in extreme cases death.

The caffeine high gives its user increased energy and strength for a short given time. In addition to this the user is put in a state of utter euphoria and is blissfully unaware of their surroundings and act on pure emotion. This affect is also known as Arvious.

Cases have been reported of the extreme affects of Arvious. Those reported to be under the influence of the Arv seem to have a blithe yet distant look on their face. While in this state those intoxicated have been known to take down several full grown men with ease. In addition to their strength increase they have also been reported to almost double in their own natural speed. Also the user seems to be unaware of almost any physical pain the they may be in and they subjects tend to have no memory of what they have done while in Arvious.

This is why many try to farm the Arv for its special properties. Many soldiers will use this drug before entering combat to dull pain and increase their strength. However it has been outlawed in Sarvonia because of the likely hood of over dose. However the drug is still in common use by the Tethinrhim elves. While mainly a passive tribe, the warriors of the Tethinrhim have been known to use the Arv for its beneficial traits. The Tethinrhim, upon entering Arvious, become faster and stronger. Under the influence the Tethinrhim are able to not only increase their bow fire rate but also the power behind each shot. With their increased strength they can torque their bows and use much less stamina allowing them to fight longer.

Reproduction. The Arv has the ability to reproduce without the use of pollen. While it is a flowering plant it lacks external stamen. In fact both the Stamen and Ovaries are contained with in the center of the Arv.The center of the Arv is filled with a green slime that houses both the Stamen and the Ovaries Mira sais; Ovaries are for animals! Plants have stamen and a carpel. of the plant. During spring the Arv will begin to produce its pollen and the pollen is then carried to the ovaries via the green slime.

(Just for you Rookie, if its ok with Judith and Miraran, I'll add on to the slime.)

The seeds acquire their properties from the green slime. The slime is actually a concentrated form of the seeds and should be handled with extreme caution. As the slime dries the caffeine properties are absorbed into the seed and are greatly diminished. However the seeds are still to be handled with great care.

The slime is very dangerous and should not come in direct contact with skin. The slime is very potent and is rumored to be able to put one into a permanent state of Arvious just be contact with the skin. However if one handles the slime with proper care it can be boiled down to a concentrate and diluted to create a powerful potion that has various affects ranging from the average Arvious to Arv's Death.     

Upon germination the plant will ooze out the green slime which contains the now forming seeds. With in minuted the ooze will harden and form a protective layer as the seeds develop. With in a few weeks the seed will fully develop and will be loosed from their protective shell. The seed will then be carried by the sea to shores all along the coast washing up on high tide. However very few seed make it back to shore and most are consumed by fish. Upon ingestion the fish enter a state of Arvious, which can be transferred to any unlucky fisherman who manages to catch a fish undergoing Arvious..   

Mira sais; I would put the whole slime part under description, or possibly usages Even lore would be considered more appropriate. It is not a vital part of reproduction, where a simple mentioning of the proces and a reference to the detailed version would suffice.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]