Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Shangri-la  (Read 5739 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 29 December 2008, 22:05:14 »

What would be the hurdles, if it is indeed possible at all, to have a hidden valley within the Gathorns that has a mild, temperate climate.  Not a large area, no new tribes or what-have-you, but just a strange geographic phenomenom in an otherwise cold and bleak environment, that until recently has been shrouded in myth, known only to a few?

Ideas?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2008, 22:18:54 »

You could get away with it with magic, methinks. At least, that's what I had planned to do with a similar idea in the Imlith Mountain, a kind of magical valley.

If you wanted it to be a naturally occurring phenomenom, I think you could do that too. Just need a semi-plausible explanation and a good myth to along. Can't think of any reasons someone would object, because it is a fantasy world, after all.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2008, 22:27:45 »

Perfectly plausible by the existing laws of climate.  Elven forests and the standing stone rings have such a 'individually controlled' climate, marked in pink or purple on the current maps. 

Just grab the graphic from the Climate entry (still in progress on the forums and scribble where you want your forest, please, then post it back to me.  Doesn't have to be neat, but make it exact, and I will add it into the final map.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2008, 22:53:53 »

I like this idea! Perhaps stick a relatively unknown beast or plant in the valley known (or thought to be known) to exist solely in the valley. Would make some nice myths, as Morden mentioned.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2008, 23:06:24 »

Thank you for the comments. :D  I shall look at the climate maps and see what comes of this.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2008, 23:43:59 »

What say you on this?  The area I want is pretty small, so....

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2008, 03:23:11 »

How "small" do you think it is? ;) Or how big do you want to have it?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2008, 03:42:58 »

Just one valley.  I want it small so that it can have gone unnoticed by the tribes of the North.  It will be an eden in which Kor'och discovered during his pilgrimmage into the Gathorn Mountains.  It will have been kept secret by the Remusians, only those faithful to Kor'och, since that time.  Perhaps walled in by jagged mountains, and access to it through a cave system.  It will not be large enough to grow crops for the people or anything.  However, it will have a Galapagos Island quality to it, where unique plants and animals have developed.  The Kor'ochesenes will use this as a hidden base for their religion, especially during the early days when the Ice Tribe Religious zealots were first confronted with this upstart cult.  I'm thinking that the followers of Kor'och will have assumed the He had created this eden, and perhaps this was fostered by the aging warrior himself.

Grunok the Exile

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2008, 05:26:44 »

An easy explanation for this could be a thermal underground stream.  It would only be close enough to the surface to change the temperature in your valley, which is perhaps deeper (i.e. closer to 'sea level') than most other valleys around.  Its depth plus just happening to be on top of a section of this hot underground river = your Santharian Shangri-La! 

I'm imagining how cool it would be to have a little valley in the middle of your mountains which snow never touches!  The ground would always be too warm for snow to land on, so it would fall, then "magically" evaporate at say, human chest-height?  How awesome would that be?  You could even have a hot pond/lake there from the stream, if you didn't want to keep the reasons secret.

Or you could use magic, pfft.  As a Losh-Oc I am naturally suspicious of magic.  Why enchant it when you can whack it?

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2008, 05:40:15 »

Good ideas.  Perhaps this hot lake could be the source of the Odenbels in the area.  Rather than hot streams flowing into it, the streams flow outward.  Perhaps heated by volcanic activity underground.  I know Talia had suggested volcanic activity under the Bay of Calinth in order to keep it open during the summer, and not freeze over completely.

And no magic.  Remusians would not use a place that was magically altered.  One of the few things Remusians and orcs can agree on. :D

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2008, 05:53:46 »

Or you could use magic, pfft.  As a Losh-Oc I am naturally suspicious of magic.  Why enchant it when you can whack it?
rolling

I agree! Leave the magically enhanced landscapes to the Elves, I say. If us northerners need a hill moving, we just shift it by hand!

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2008, 06:17:36 »

Magically altered could be in a time long forgotten, the elves and other creatures spread from the Thaelon Forest and Eu'reóll, the Tree of Life, long before most tribes would have mythology regarding. Other powerful beings left this area as well during this time and many of them could be responsible for such a haven amongst the frozen peaks.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2008, 08:54:45 »

Hot springs, perfect answer!  If that green spot is what you want added, np.  I'll get it on the master map asap.

How about the Imlith mountain area?  Who wanted that one?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2008, 09:03:01 »

Me!! I wanted to create a magical vale for the Susilgerim Denirim, which I think I PMed you the idea for it already, Judy. It would actually be in the mountains themselves. I'm thinking right in between the two largest mountain peaks would be good. Nothing too large since it is one very deep, very hidden canyon.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2008, 13:40:59 »

NP, just if you want it on the Master Climate map, steal the appropriate area map graphic, mark it clearly, and post it to me (here is fine).

Hugs,
Judy

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]