Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Moredein Kaerath (The Kazai Morchin-i, Sar'estvokar, and Amorai realms)  (Read 9062 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« on: 15 March 2009, 07:48:29 »

For that treacherous serpent, Decipher; Green
For my beloved Northern Overseer; teal.
For Coren the Late (note; this is not the same as "the Late Coren"!), things he needs to name and such; red.

Overview.
The Kaerathi Plains, or Moredein Kaerath, are the fertile lands in the northwesternmost corner of Nybelmar. Inhabited by several tribes, the plains are known for the exceptionally plentiful grain they produce. It is a most temperate region, with fresh water available both from the frequent rains and the manyfold springs and brooks that wind their way through the gentle slopes of the hills that cover most of the area. 1 change omitted. My version might be less clear, but it has a sublty different feel i found important.

Description.
No longer the primal wilderness of ages yore, the gently rolling hills of the Moredein Kaerath spanning from the foothills of the Doilth mountains to the very cliffs that rise above the Nermarein seas, are a pleasant realm indeed. After countless generations, it is all but forgotten that this pastoral realm has been wrenched from the wild by the first of its inhabitants, the exiled earth mages of the ancient Faen nation to the southeast. Today however, although the foreign traveler might find himself a bit bewildered at first in a land where grasses grow as high as a man, and trees may be at their tallest barely above his waist, it has an air of plentitude that eases the mind.
The surface is, in those places untouched by the industrious Morchini farmers, mostly covered with grasses and herbs, great and small, with only moderately sized copses and patches of shrubbery. Naturally, this makes the hulking, giant thorncloud trees scattered throughout the lands even more impressive. The soil is rich, but laced with lime, and the multitude of streams, brooks and small rivers that riddle the hills tend to disappear in gurgling sinkholes, only to spring forth again from a small cave opening somewhere else entirely.
This The caves i just mentioned ten words ago Azhira, the caves! brings forth the other face of the Kaerathi plains, a musty world of limestone caves, flint and fungi, that has over the ages been cultivated in many places just as much as the lush grain fields above. Tunnels and caverns great and small can be found throughout most of the region, although they are noticeably less in number around the three great forests, namely the Drifting Woods to the northeast, the X1 to the northwest, and the X2 in the southeastern corners of the plains. Coren, do you want to name these?
Two great rivers also span across most of the plains, their beds carved out into the soft rock, and filled with the sum of thousands of smaller brooks and rivulets combined. These are the Metherinin river in the east, winding down from the eastern Germon Doilth to filter down into the ocean through the Ter'ei'Vikh realm of the Drifting Woods, and the mighty stream of the Eckumin in the west, which follows a more lateral course and spills into the sea at the west coast of the land, on the southern border of the Amorai X1 forest.
NB; the paragraphs are visible when looking at it in forum-format, but the editing windows narrow the whole things down to much.

Location.
The Moredein Kaerath are a rather secluded region found in the outermost north-west of Nybelmarmentioning yet again Nybelmar is a continent ought to be superfluous.. To the south, the area borders the Germon Doilth mountains, while, save for a narrow passage on the southwest and southeast border of the area, all other sides are surrounded with sea.

People.
The primary occupants of the Moredein Kaerath are the Morchini, or Mushroom People of the Kazai Morchin-i nation. These short, stubby humans might be mistaken by an unprepared visitor for Dwarves, or even Gnomes, but are merely humans of short stature, a trait they share with the neighbouring Faen tribe. Considered one of the most skilled tribes of farmers on Nybelmar, the Morchini have transformed much of the wilderness of the Moredein Kaerath into lust orchards, expansive meadows, and fertile fields.
They govern nearly all settlements on the open plains, with only a few exceptions such as the M'aghin research centre of the Enkyclopadië Nybelmarnica near the Metherinin river, a handful of independent Faen trading posts, and the Tarshiïn embassy at "X" Their typical building styles, usually incorporating either the giant Mushrooms found only in this region or the equally giant, but far greater Thorncloud trees, add to the pastoral feel of the area, as it is mostly devoid of large artificial constructions such as cities and villages.
The Ter'ei'Vikh, or simply "Vikh, inhabit the Drifting Woods forest on the northeastern corner of the Moredein Kaerath. Due to its submerged hot springs, this bizarre jungle has developed a plethora of strange inhabitants and phenomena, and has a tropical climate of its own. The Ter'ei'Vikh have little to do with the outside world, and prefer to keep to themselves, only dealing with others at the enormous Gates of M'aghin, where a large trading community can be found.
Lastly, the Amorai, a people somewhat related to the Ter'ei'Vikh, reside in two separated forested areas along the western coast of the plains (Coren, should we give them that island just off the coast of the northern forest as well?). While their lands are not as hot and humid as the Drifting Woods on the other side of the plains, the Amorai realm is still a surprisingly diverse and remarkably cultivated forest. (I'm rambling here. Coren?)

Climate.
The Moredein Kaerath has a most lush and fertile climate. During the summer months, the skies are mostly blue, alternated with large, fluffy rainclouds that provide a soft and refreshing rain to the fields below, while during even during wintry times, the temperature rarely drops below zero periks, and, with the exception of the foothills of the Germon Doilth, snow and ice are relatively unheard of. The lands south of the Eckumin river, named after the mythical dragon Eckulor that was said to roost at its spring, positioned south of the northern forest realm of the Amorai, are a bit colder. As such, they are more prone to stormy weather and temperature extremes than the more northern part of the region.

Flora.
The flora of the Moredein Kaerath is perhaps its biggest asset. Called the "Granary of Nybelmar", which is a modest overstatement, the hububat fields of the Morchini still supply grain to many nations other than their own, via the nigh omnipresent Faen merchants. Notable examples of the, often strongly growing, flora of the Moredein Kaerath are the Kazai rose, a decorative creeper popular even in Sarvonia, the enormous thorncloud trees and  -!- mushrooms in which the Morchini make their homes, as well as the fragrant Wise-Man's bush and edible taintberries, the latter of which are used in many kinds of food preparation.

Fauna.
As with the native flora, the animals of the Moredein Kaerath often seem to be on the wrong scale, being either far bigger or much smaller than one would expect. Good examples of these are the two-ped millipedes that dwell in the many cisterns and cave tunnels, the kitten-size Tum-um cats, the giant Tarep called 'Nibakku' by the Morchini, which they frequently use as mounts, and of course the enormous Bahimut monsters who, fortunately rarely, lumber through the landscape.

Wanderers of the open hillsides would do best to be wary of Sidizz holes. Even through the average rock-snapper is not large enough to be a real threat to humans, the sharp claws may incur painful wounds on the hapless victim's feet or legs, making the remainder of the way a quite unpleasant business. Another health risk of Kaerath is the Green Fever-disease, which is transferred by the Grey Bloodmoth's sting, so it is often wise to use a finely-mazed net to shield oneself from these and other pests at night.

Resources.

The true treasure of the Moredein Kaerath lies in its agrarian products, consisting mainly of the famous hububat grain which serves as the base for gida, jinn, and kubhi-bread, three products that make up a considerable portion of the local cuisine. The foothills of the Germon Doilth have several usefull deposits of coal, flintstone, and tin ore, but the mining of these resources remains problematic, as the Doilth range is notoriously hostile to travelers and settlers alike, making only the outermost deposits available to the Morchini.
The many caves and chasms that riddle the Kaerathi landscape produce an extraordinary amount of different fungi and mollusks, many of which are edible, or usefull in some way. Examples of this are the local freshwater oysters, the purple-shelled kuro snails, and the highly sought-after kedhab mushrooms, which, depending on the variety, can be used as a potent healing agent, or in the creation of a destructive solution.

Myth/Lore.
-legend of Eculor the Gluttonous
-revelations of The Hand. (some simple mentionings, the rest belongs in the people entry.)

History.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2009, 20:32:24 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2009, 17:41:38 »

plentyful > "plentiful" - Small typo I saw only because when scanning through the text, my brain registered it as "the exceptionally playful grain". The image of grain up to all sorts of mischief prompted a closer look at the sentence :P

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2009, 17:42:31 »

Oh, the climate is slightly colder than the typical Mediterranean one. More like northern Italy and northern France than their southern coasts

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2009, 18:29:45 »

I i call that mediteranean as well Coren. I'll have to look at our ocean currents to make some adjustments for that, not sure wich way they are going.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2009, 22:39:56 »

Could you and Deci collaborate on the climate? The way things stand, we have the odd position that Faen, with its legendary storms etc, is colder/harsher than Kaerath. I need to get my act together next week and really have a think about how to make the whole region function. Right now we seem to have several different climate zones in the same area! Kaerath > DW > Faen > Gondolwain. Hmmm...

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2009, 22:51:57 »

the DW have a self-moderating microclimate. The Faen and Morchini have vastly different climates because they are in very different places.

Gondolwain isnt even nearby topographically :P

edit-> i have made a division fir the northward and westward coastline areas, which makes more sense. There is a bit more western coast than i pictured in my mind :)
« Last Edit: 15 March 2009, 23:03:49 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2009, 23:14:21 »

Could you repeat the last sentence please? I don't think I understand what you have in mind

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2009, 23:17:44 »

I looked at the map, and there turned out to be more Moredein Kaerath than i thought there was. I thought the Scepteres extended a bit further north, giving an almost smooth southern border to the Kazai Morchin-i so i altered the climate for the southwestern parts of the area.

Avrah Kehabhra

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2009, 23:23:34 »

Ah, ok.

May I co-author certain sections of this entry? Please? Since I came up with the original idea for the region, I guess I have grown a bit overprotective :D

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2009, 23:30:15 »

Sure. But can you wait untill i place a completed description? I think i have a fairly good concept put together, which includes all the things i can remember you telling me about, as well as working in all kinds of fun ways with the climate and geography.

Avrah Kehabhra

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2009, 23:38:23 »

Sure!

:: turns around and pulls a short scroll from his pack ::

Here is my first contribution:

The following extract, taken from Tales of the Third Shadow War, depicts a gloomier picture of these lands:

“One step forward, and I should cease to be...”

Krasimir-Kael stood precariously on a piece of protruding rock, his head thrown back, leaning against the wind. Too great an effort was required to upset the balance. Even leaning forward and letting go called for a conscious act, a state of concentration beyond the velleity he could muster.

The wind picked some soil off the ground, brushed teasingly against his outstretched limbs, and carried it beyond the precipice, outward, towards the distant plains, leaving a tingling sensation in his left palm.

He sighed, letting the air drain from his puffed cheeks and press against his lips; observing the process with disinterest and mild bemusement. He wondered what it would feel like to dissolve – like dust in the wind.

The sun flashed into sight on the skyline and was held for some moments before it was eclipsed by the wayward branch of a banyan tree in the distance.  The setting sun had washed the details off the landscape. The Thornclouds rose in thin shafts, their trunks burning red in the afternoon sun. Like sentinels – dozens, perhaps more – they stood several strals apart from one another, sovereigns of the ground upon which they took root, each commanding the lands under its dewcircle. Though Krasimir-Kael could not see them, interspersed amidst the Thornclouds, lay the other trees in knots of a soft, porcelain blue – a colour not of real things but of shadows and evenfall. These, clustered beneath the drip-circles of the great Thornclouds, struck his fancy as emissaries cowering at knee level around the King for protection. The distance had flattened the landscape. Yet the single shafts stood impervious, immeasurably tall, out of scale to the rest of the earth. They were of their own world, and they held up to the sky the statement of what had come before. Once, to the Morkin - to his Father when he stood, not far from here, twenty years ago, after the Battle of Kermut, gazing at Moredein Kaerath where the Lillivear were defeated and the Kazas united for the first time in more than a thousand years, they must have held a challenge – and a promise. Now, of the three Thornclouds around which MorKolmoger, the greatest settlement on Kazai Morchin-i, was built, the most ancient lay broken. The remaining two leaned drunkenly towards each other - as if they resisted collapse not through any heroic effort but by the dwellings, countless pulleys, ropes, conveyors and platforms stretching between their trunks in a confused clutter neither the wind nor the most meticulous Bahimut could untangle.

He stood motionless, unable to move, wishing he would never have to move again. Sunset melted into twilight. Soon, dusk would drain the sky through the wound left by the sun and the faraway landscape would quiver and fade like an anemic body in the process of exhausting its last drops of blood and light. The clouds were drifting west, as if they, too, were pulled to follow the sinking rays and quietly to vanish from the earth. He stood still, feeling no desire to resist it.

As for the rest, I will wait as requested.  grin
« Last Edit: 17 March 2009, 21:41:19 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2009, 00:07:11 »

If he is stood on the edge of a precipice, leaning forwards into the wind, how does the wind pick up dust and strike it against his open palm? Surely it would be blowing away from him?

Or have I got my orientation wrong?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2009, 00:08:55 »

the Morchini have transformed much of the wilderness of the Moredein Kaerath into lust orchards

I wonder what grows there  buck.....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2009, 00:11:17 »

Who cares! Where can I get a ticket?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2009, 04:26:40 »

Hello Mira! I believe I will have some time on Sunday to work on this. Will you have added anything until then?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]