Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Remusian History General Outline  (Read 7741 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 30 March 2009, 05:21:53 »

Remusia, ca 8000 BS
At about one quarter of its present size, Remusia was only one of a number of Ice Tribes fighting for a spot on the Icelands Coast.  They are the descendants of the other Ice Tribe people and the Kanapan expansion north.  At this time, they are a loose confederation of nomadic clans.  There are no permanent settlements, and no real overwhelming national pride yet.

Remusia, ca 2000 BS
The Remusians have expanded south, bringing the Gathorn Mountain range into their borders, and have traveled west to the Mantle River.

Remusia, 294 BS
After the Third Sarvonian War, the Remusians were pushed back almost to their original lands.  Lord Kellmon is killed for his affiliation with the Darkfriends, and his brother, Leyster, becomes the ruling Lanrul.  He vows to create a free and powerful Remusian empire.

Remusia, 275 AS
After the 1st Orcish War, the Remusians expand their geographical conquests.  To the south, they had pushed the Rhom-ocs further into the Heath of Wilderon.  To the east, they had pushed the Tokarians back to the entire length of the River Tokar.  In the East, the capitol of Antis, on Islar Island fell, leaving the Antislar Ice Tribe disorganized and desperate.  Many come into Remusian lands and join the conquerors.  Edmuguindo, the ruling Lanrul, becomes known as the Scourge of Antislar.

Remusia, 447 AS
The Remusians hit the peak of their empire under Gloroch.  The Antislar tribe has now become extinct as its own people.  Most have joined the Remusians, and the rest have scattered.  To the east, the Remusians have taken the area known as Kordos away from the Tokarians and captured Rhemir.  The 100 years from Gloroch’s son’s ascendancy, Wodyr in 469, to the end of the reign of Ithuhl in 576 is known as Remusia’s Golden Age.

Remusia, 578 AS
The 2nd Orcish war has seen the loss of the Plains of Antislar.  The City of Antis has been sacked and abandoned.  In the south, the Remusians were content to back up to the northern borders of the Heaths of Wilderon.  While in the east, the Tokarians and the Sarmanians joined forces to push the Remusians back.

Remusia, 814 AS
The Third Orcish War has seen most of the former Antislar lands lost to the Rhom-oc tribes.  The Remusians have clung desperately to the Mantle Woods, as their only supply of lumber.

Remusia, 1293 AS
Only the natural border of the Gathorn Mountains has prevented the Remusian’s from losing anymore territory to the south.  The Fourth Orcish War has left their hold of the Mantle Woods reduced to the land up to the woods only.

Remusia, 1654-Present Day
The Fifth Orcish War has seen the Remusians lose all lands west of the Mantle River, and the extreme southern areas of the Gathorn Mountain range.  The Remusians were, however, able to keep the orcs from taking Remusiat, while Sorsokon and Sudarok were inexplicably spared by the orcs, who left those cities in peace in order to lay siege to the capitol.  King Araman II was killed in the war, and his son, Timeras became King, and continues to rule.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2009, 05:31:26 »

Here is a brief overview of the Remusian people. 

There are references to an extinct Ice Tribe living on the Plains of Antislar, which I have taken the liberty of adding because A./ the Iol Peninsula states that the area was/is inhabited by Ice Tribes, and B./ the history of the Ice Tribes states that many tribes over the years have disappeared and new ones cropped up.

I'll be using this extinct tribe and fleshing it out more in upcoming entries.

I have interwoven much in the way of the orcs, trying to give dates and results of the Five Orcish wars which, as the Remusian entry and History claim there w a 5th one, I assume there were four previous ones that need to be worked out.  I would like this to have Tharoc's yellow eyes (red?) peruse this in order that we can come to a consensus over this.

Basically, the Remusians expanded too quickly early, and were not able to hold all their territory over the next 1200 years, and have been whittled down.  It goes towards explaing their isolationist attitudes and their perpetual warlike existance.

Comments and critiques very welcome, especially to those northern developers.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2009, 05:59:26 »

Hi Alt!

First - no general objections ;)

I had a short look into the icetribe entry and it really states, that the icetribes occupy the peninsula of Iol as well. But I think, this is wrong. The map shows them only on that smaller peninsula. I do not assume, that all (ice-)tribes on IOL are extinct!

I think we should decide here, what we want and alter the existing entry somewhat:

Either we call only those icetribes which Curgan has described in his entry as such , remove that halfsentence from his entry where Iol is mentioned and call the other tribes on Iol differently, or we add something to his entry which makes clear, that there are other icetribes in addition to these 12, but that only the ones of the icelands coast are described in his entry. Ithink it would be easier, to give the tribes on Iol a new name, but I don't mind whatever the Northerners find better.

No problem with the Antislar stuff

Kanapan expansion north ? Did you make this up? You realise, that most of them are black? Art and I turned something around when we made up those Migration maps, but I don't recall what ;). But basically the entry says, the blacker the better, apart from the Eferme.
I assume, you want to have some different blood in here, right? let's look for a solution :D

I don't know anything about the orcs, didn't know up till now, that they live in the Heath of wilderon - but that map which shows the tribe distribution doesn't work for me. Could you do a screenshot and post it for me, please ? :)

So, no objections :D

Edit: I need to finish this distances thread, but it is surely a far way from the warm Kanapans to the icy north...
« Last Edit: 30 March 2009, 06:03:24 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2009, 06:19:01 »

THE ERA OF CATACLYSM
(YEARS 9.500 B.S. - 8.500 B.S.) 
ca. 9450 b.S.  The War of the Chosen
The humans in the Stone Fields of Peat and the Icelands are forced to enter the War of the Chosen as mercenaries for the sorcerers. They are used in battles and magic experiments as expendable material and they prove to be hardy yet undisciplined warriors. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ca. 9023 b.S.  The Intermixing of Tribes: The Ice Tribes
After the Battle of the Winds and the severe casualties that the Icefolk suffer, magic is abolished and most mages are slaughtered in their territory. This conflict almost eliminates the population of the Icefolk that leave the Icelands in order to participate in the War.

In their attempt to save themselves from the war and the giants that invaded their area the humans of the Stone Fields of Peat and the remaining Icemen move further north to the Icelands enslaving the Icefolk that manage to escape the war and intermixing with them.

This era a Kanapan population is believed to have entered the Icelands and intermixed with the people that later are to become the Remusians and Tokarians.

Here is the Kanapan connection.  Yes, I know they are black, but they have intermixed with the Ice Tribes who are white, so they would have been of mixed heritage and thus lighter skinned.  And over the years, with the blending of other Ice Tribe (white skin) into the population it would have filtered it even further.  And, in the appearance section, I do state that the Remusians are a dark featured tribe, with only the lightest hair, eye, and skin tones coming recently with travellers from the south.

We don't have to have any Ice Tribes in Iol anymore.  No need to add more tribes.  This might have been the furthest expansion into the region, only as far as Mount Asthvin.  I had no plans on pushing any Ice Tribe north of that.  Anything further north can be turned into pretty much anything. 

Yes, the Orcs are from the Heath of Wilderon, which is to the south of the Gathorn range.  They are nomadic and travel in large areas, so I have them going a bit north into Iol, but as to whether they stayed there or occupied that area, is still open I think.  The Remusian's need to have 5 wars with them somewhere.  I didn't see anyone else in Iol to have pushed the Remusians back.

I had hoped that this entry would still leave the Iol Peninsula open for development, as we had kinda talked a bit about the lack of info awhile ago when I was reading up on the Mantle Woods.  We can still put a new tribe in there, whether human or not, that came down from north of Mount Asthvin, and not call it an Ice Tribe, leaving the 12 intact and located as they already are.

But, if you have concerns, we can see what we can come up with for a solution.  The Kanapan solution as well.  Always happy to work with you Talia. :D

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2009, 06:26:16 »

I thought that you had your sources, but I have also the impression, that not all entries say the same.. have to look into this when I have some more time. I would say, we remove the mentioning of the icetribes in Iol, I would even say, that this extinct tribe was another one, or at least they have to be mentioned in the icetribe entry - or are they already ?

I better go to bed now... ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2009, 06:44:02 »

Nope, they are not mentioned anywhere.  I made em up.  However,

The population of the Icelands is divided into Ice Tribes, in the form that survive today. They expend themselves into constant warfare among each other. Many tribes are exterminated during the millennia to come and many new are to emerge.

I drew on this quote.  The 12 tribes of today are just that, the 12 of Today.  100 years from now there may be 20 tribes, or maybe just 4.  They are Ice Tribe first, and Tokarian, Sarmanian, etc, second.  Thus, individual tribe names mean little to them, other than excuses for in-fighting.  The exception to this rule are the Remusians.  Why?  Maybe its the Kanapan blood. rolleyes  But they see themselves as Remusian first, and Ice Tribe second.  Of course, there are the conservative Remusians who still see it as Ice Tribe first.  It is part of the bubbling cauldron of societal instability that I'm trying to infuse into my little corner of the world.  Remusians don't all hold hands singing Kumbaya.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2009, 11:36:58 »

Convinced! :)

I'm going now to try my hands at a map for your history section, can't sleep and don't want to do something useful ;) (it is 5:30 for me *sigh*)

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2009, 11:40:18 »

haha... either I'm getting better, or you're getting softer, Talia.  I miss our old battles, my nemesis :)

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2009, 18:01:26 »

No, no, you are getting better ;)

Btw, I found out, that there is a force the Remusians cannot withstand, they can't expand in this direction, the resistance is too big.....  which is - the Southern border of the map! :P

Would you like to have them a little bit further to the South? Then I take the monster map and cut there the map out I need.

Now I have an idea, have to look something up... no, doesn't work, Barsalon (even if we move it a bit north)  is too far South, you probably don't want to extent your territory this much.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2009, 18:10:44 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2009, 21:44:07 »

*looks a bit embarassed*  uhm, yeah.... the Remusians will face orcs, Tokarians, Sarmanians, but... you put up a big old map border and they quake in their boots. buck

No, I don't think going that far south (Barsalon, and speaking of which, the histories refer to it as Basalon... which one is the typo?)) would be feasable.  But, a bit further into the Heaths of Wilderon would be good.  It gives the orcs the incentive to band together, if their entire way of life is threatened.

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2009, 03:16:39 »

Looking at the Tribal Map that Art posted in the Northern Sarvonia thread, would you perhaps like me to change the Antislar to a new tribe that is not Ice Tribe?  And make their territory larger, and not extinct?  There is a lot of land up there marked for Human Tribe, but no tribes in there yet.

That takes care of the concerns over the Ice Tribe factor.  I can expand on them, showing them as distinct from the Ice Tribes and create a culture.  I have tons of notes that do not work yet for the Remusians that can be adapted.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 31 March 2009, 05:15:01 »

Yes, I wanted to propose that. I would just define the Icetribes as those tribes who live in the area of the Iceland Coast. These Antislar could have the same culture, but as they are not living in the iceland coast, they have a different name. They could be a totally different tribe as well, I would say.

But then we should remove Iol  from that Icetribe entry. I wanted to have changed something else concerning the weather anyway, need to discuss this with you and look for that thread. This might be my first try to fix the change myself ;) Nice short and easy !

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2009, 06:22:44 »

I read that quote you gave above again, that is a confusing time! Icefolk/Icemen, didn't know, there existed people in the Stonefields of Peat (forgot it probably) I did not yet look into that Kanapan connection, but that is not this urgent, I think.

What I wanted to ask - do you want do define that southern border yourself, then I cut you a piece from the big map I have and send it to you, or should I just push it a bit south as I think is ok?

Edit:
The entry about the stonefield of Peat does not mention humans there - except as myth, so whoever does there some old history has to be careful.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2009, 06:28:12 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 April 2009, 04:25:02 »

I trust you to go a bit further south.  In truth, there really is no huge difference where it is.  The orcs probably weren't stopped by an imaginary line on the ground, and the Remusians wouldn't have built permanent settlements there.  It was a land grab, but they don't have the infrastructure needed to hold onto large tracts of untamed land.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 April 2009, 04:38:02 »

Hi Alt.

Much to my embarrasment I've only just read this, and only briefly. I noticed early on that you requested my bloodshot eyes be cast across it with regards to the 5 Orcish Wars. (Ooh! 5! shocked)
Anyone would think we orcs go around causing trouble just for the fun of it! *whistles innocently*

I'll have a proper read-through this week, Alt. I'll reserve any judgement/comments until then.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]