Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Arv Re-Work v.2  (Read 4606 times)
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« on: 30 April 2009, 04:28:55 »

Original re-work may be found here
Current status: New things in yellow. Appropriated and Edited in Red

Herbarium>Medicinal Plants>Healing Herbs
Herbarium>Bushes

Named after its discoverer Arv Teus who suffered the first documented case of Arvious. Excessive consumption of the seeds of Arv's Plant can lead to addiction, which may eventually be fatal.

Appearance

The Arv is a leafy bush about three quarters of a ped in height with a bulb of greenery on the top with small white flowers hanging off the branches. The leaves of the Arv are small, light green ovoids with no apparent veins which cluster protectively around the plant's stalk. The main stalk of the Arv's Plant is covered in small, prickly, hair-like bristles which protect the seeds while they grow by pricking the hand or mouth of any unwary creature.

In amongst the mess of a plant are small unattractive brown seeds attached to the thin main stem of the plant.These seeds grow in seed pods roughly a half a palmspan around which further protect them during their growth. It is these seeds which are harvested and eaten for their stimulative properties.

Territory
These plants are very rare, growing about the warmer coastal regions of southern Sarvonia, feeding from the salt water in the air. The Arv's Plant requires very little moisture, over-watering the Arv's Plant is a very easy thing to do, and it grows well in sandier soils where the water drains quickly, adapting it perfectly to out-of the way coastal caves where it is often grown for profit by less than reputable individuals.

Usages
The seeds of Arv's plant are harvested and eaten for their stimulative effects, which stave off sleep and provide a temporary boost of energy to the consumer. The downside of this is that whatever agent within the seed provides this effect is addictive, and eventually causes a person to consume more seeds until they might overuse it, and actually die from the consumption of these seeds.

The addictive property of the Arv seeds as well as the addiction they produce has lead to similar substances, such as the tea brewed from leaves of the Daylong Flower and Thar'oc Weed being referred to as arvious. The proper term for an addiction to Arv seeds is also Arvious, though some make the distinction of assigning a capital to the seed addiction to make things clearer.

Unfortunately, the undeveloped seeds of Arv's Plant are toxic to some animals, dogs, cats and many small rodents. This has led to Arv's seeds being used as a poison, often by secreting them in some tastier morsel.
Brownies are especially wary of the plant as the seeds, even taken in minute quantities, induce a sort of manic hysteria which can lead to injury or death.
Arv's seeds are not easily found and the types of people who deal in them should considered unscrupulous at best.

Reproduction
The Arv creates seeds in small pods, roughly a half a palmspan in size
on the side of the plant's stalk. These seeds are initially very small and bitter, with none of the effects of the matured seeds. The seeds themselves are brown and a mere two nailsbredths long once mature. Around the beginnings of autumn the seedpods begin to grow and mature. It takes perhaps a month for the seeds to mature fully, at which point the pods drop off the stalk. The seed pods are small ovoids made of sweet, fruit-like flesh under a layer of coarse, inedible hair. One seed pod contains five or six seeds.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2010, 11:13:56 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2009, 05:41:29 »

I think I've gotten this off to a good start. I've pruned some of Navar's work I'm afraid, because it didn't seem to make sense, and because of the references to caffeine. I get the feeling this was supposed to be something like coffee beans, so I've tried to keep the caffeine while getting rid of it, so to speak.

Removed bits included references to the Tethinrhim tribe, in addition to 90% of the rewritten usages section, and the entire reproduction section, which frankly made no sense.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2009, 06:07:17 by Valan » Logged

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2009, 08:39:31 »

Let the butchering begin. I've tried to improve upon the re-work and the original but I had absolutely no idea where Navar was going with some of his ideas. Lacking any information I've spun the reproduction section out of whole cloth, and elaborated in a few places. Hopefully I haven't mis-stepped anywhere.

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2009, 23:22:54 »

Hey Valan, just a few ideas of what you could add in to your rewrite :)

- If I were trying to get hold of Arv seeds, where would I go?  Would I be able to buy them legally or would I have to go underground?

- Are they particularly popular with one profession/tribe?  Why?

- It would be good to know something about the size and shape of the leaves to help people know how to recognise the plant.

- How do the bristles protect the seeds?  Are they an irritant?  Rosehip seeds, for example, are filled with tiny hairs that cause what I once heard called "itchy-bum-disease"  lol

- What time of the year do the seeds grow/mature?

- If the seeds are toxic to small rodents but not humans, might they be used as a poison for vermin?

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2009, 22:14:53 »

Bumping this back to the top, for my own benefit more than anyone else's at the moment.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2010, 11:13:58 »

*saunters in half a year later with fixes for comments*

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2010, 03:49:51 »

Where is the Overview? Two sentences?  :P

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]