Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Arvins Arrows (Kyranian Tavern Game)  (Read 5136 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 30 June 2009, 19:52:44 »

Changes made in lime green

Miscellaneous > Games > Arvins Arrows

Game Name: Arvins Arrows, Jraekarthim (Lit. Throwing Arrows - Styrásh), Cymr Sar (Lit. Small Arrows - Kuglimz'Seitre), Pil Horzim (Lit. Short Knives - Thergerim)

This is a game for two or more players. Starting off in the taverns of the ancient Kingdom of Kyrania in southern Sarvonia, this game has spread to all corners of the United Kingdom of Santharia and beyond. The purpose of Arvins Arrows is to throw a set of six darts at a series of shapes that are hung on a wall at a set distance from the throwers. The shapes differ according to local fauna, flora and custom, and the names of the different scores can be different. Despite these differences, the winner of each match is the thrower who has best met the established winning conditions for the particular game.

A good game of Arvins Arrows played by two quality players is likely to draw the attention of everyone in the tavern:

A kind of hush went over the crowd that night as they gathered in the 'Red King Inn'. Quite a few of the locals were there, this was too good an opportunity to miss, and they took the opportunity to watch the events unfold. Every eye in the place was on the local carpenter and the other man, who lived alone and was little more than a hermit. Conversations stopped, offers of 'something special in the backroom' were momentarily forgotten, the inn staff on duty stopped their work and also watched the unfolding events. Even the stranger, short, young, good looking and red haired, who entered the inn at that point fell silent at the expectation that seemed to permeate the inn.

The stranger's eyes were also drawn to the event underway. The carpenter was up first, and threw an object at the board. A cheer went up. A large thickset man who was nearby proclaimed, "A Hunt!"

A murmering went up around the inn. It seemed the other man had to hit the warg to also get a hunt ... he threw, and hit the dragon instead ... a gasp went around the inn, a disappointed sound as the the same man who had spoken before proclaimed, "A Dragon Sengren." The first man was proclaimed the winner and the occupants of the inn went back to their regular activities.

"What'll it be," a waitress asked the newcomer.

"Ah ... nothing," he replied, "say, that game ... that was Arvins Arrows?"

"Aye, that's the name of the game," she answered.

History
Tradition has it that the game of Arvins Arrows was begun by soldiers in the Kyranian army in the aftermath of the War of the Chosen in the 9020's b.S. According to the stories, during training, one archer snapped the end off his arrows in frustration and tossed the first of his arrows at a nearby target. Other soldiers became interested in what he was doing, and a group quickly gathered. The soldiers became enthralled by the game and it spread like wildfire amongst the soldiers in the army and the other branches of the Kyranian military.

When commoners returned home after serving their time in the army, they brought the game with them, and the game spread throughout the kingdom, becoming a common part of the Manhood and other ceremonies celebrated by the Kyranians. Before too much time had passed, there was barely a tavern across the length and breadth of Kyrania that didn't have the game. Although initially it was played amongst the lower classes of Kyranian society, at the time of King Calder, the game was brought to the attention of nobles. Some higher quality darts, as well as boards, were produced, and were popular amongst noble circles. Most of the Kyranian nobles would never play Arvins Arrows against the lower classes, or even admit the origin of the game, of course.

Although the wars fought against the other tribes of man brought destruction to the Kyranian kingdom, it also led to the spread of the game to the conquering kingdoms, particularly Centorauria, as well as to the elves. The game also gained popularity amongst the Helcrani. In more recent times, it has become popular amongst the dwarven tribes as well, and their taverns will more often then not have a game of Arvins Arrows contained inside their walls. Rumours persist that even the Brownies developed a version of Arvins Arrows, using blowpipes. These rumours include an infamous incident in 1586 a.S. when a pair of LLaoihrr Brownies were playing a game. As it entered its final stages, one of the Brownies sucked on the blowpipe instead of blowing on it. The dart entered the unfortunate Brownie's body and killed him pretty quickly. Some Brownies today still play that version of the game, despite that lamentable accident.

As various groups, including the Black Butterfly Rovers, soldiers, merchants, researchers, travellers and sailors travelled around Ximax, Manthria and the rest of Santharia, as well as to Northern Sarvonia, Nybelmar, the other continents and even the R'unorian Isles, they took this game with them. The name and target shapes are changed based on local customs and important fauna and flora in the different areas. For example, the R'unorian Isles replace the Kruswik hopper, the kyrattin, the warg and the dragon with a pit worm, a blood toad, a crystal spider and a black unicorn respectively. Despite the change in names and shapes, the rules, set up and equipment are essentially the same wherever Arvins Arrows is played in Caelereth. A recent development in the history of the game is the establishment of 'Arvins Arrows Tournaments' in parts of Santharia, which have drawn some pretty fierce betting on occasions.

Diagram
(Comes at a later date)

Equipment
Two or more players

The target board measures just under two fores in length and width in the 'Red King Inn' in Naios. Other locations might have boards that are larger or smaller than this. Regardless of size, the target board has different shapes on it depending on the location in which the game takes place. The boards are generally made of wood from trees such as the oak tree, maple tree and birch tree. Regardless of whether the tavern is located in a city such as Naios or Marcogg, a village such as Sunsy, one of the Zhunite city-states, a dwarven settlement or an elven tree house, the boards have four shapes on them.

These shapes were basic versions of kyrattin, kruswik hopper, warg and a dragon throughout the former area of the Kyranian kingdom. As the game spread to other parts of Caelereth, the shapes took on shapes of flora and fauna native to those areas. The versions of the boards owned by the Kyranian nobility were inlaid with gold and for a while had the shapes covered by precious gems. As with the sengren axe, the nobles came to realise that the gems were breaking too easily, and after a while, these boards were used for display purposes only.

Each player is given six darts to throw. These darts normally weigh one mut and have an average length of two and a half palmspans. Most darts used in this game use iron tips. In some of the fancier versions of the game, such as those owned by members of the former Kyranian nobility, darts have tips made of mithril or other such metals.

Game Setup
The target board is hung on a wall in the establishment approximately one and a half peds up the wall. A hook is used to attach the board to the wall. A line is drawn/indicated on the ground two peds away from the board.

Rules
Each player takes it in turn to toss a dart at the target board.
The player stands behind a marker on the ground.
They toss the dart at the target board. They keep lower arm level with the ground and flick their upper arm and hand towards the target board.
The aim of the game is to be the player to have at least one dart in each of the four shapes in the fewest number of throws. The player who does this is declared the winner.

A range of terms have been developed to identify how well or poorly the players go in targeting the different shapes. Like other aspects of the game, these are based on the area in which the game is being played. The following names are used in the 'Red King Inn' in Naios.

Having at least one of the darts in each of the four shapes is called a 'Hunt'. Doing with the first four darts thrown by a player is called a 'Great Hunt'.
If one or more shapes are missed, the following terms are used...
Having at least one dart in three of the shapes is called a 'Sengren'.
Having at least one dart in two of the shapes is called an 'Anvil'.
Having at least one dart in one of the shapes is called a 'Donkey'.
Missing all the targets with all six darts is called a 'Dung' ... and the person who throws such a game leaves the inn in shame, never to return again.

In some areas, the shapes of the different targets are ranked, so that some of the shapes are rated more highly than others. For example, the 'Red King Inn' in Naios, the scoring system is quite complicated.

Calitter 'Cali' Kanemir, owner of the 'Red King' and Arvins Arrows enthusiast and historian explains as follows
I decided that in the Red King at least that the shapes would rate as dragon, then kyrattin, then warg, then the hopper. If both throwers score a donkey each, a dragon donkey would win over a kyrattin donkey. The best in this game is a Great Hunt, which trumps all other scores ... including the time one of the players hit a dragon sengren, a kyrattin sengren and an anvil sengren.

* Deklitch Hardin would like to thank Calitter 'Cali' Kanemir, as well as the staff and patrons of the 'Red King Inn' for explaining their variation of the game to him, and for not throwing him out of the Inn straight away. *
« Last Edit: 29 August 2009, 17:00:03 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2009, 06:18:36 »

I love the unconventional introduction to this, Deklitch. You make an entry that, in someone else's hands, could have been fairly dull, interesting and engaging.

Hm... name wise, tossadarts doesn't seem all too bad to me. The only alternatives I can think of at the moment would be the name of whatever a bullseye(or rather, getting a dart in all the shapes) is in the game, or it could be named after some appropriate figure. I was hoping Santharia would have some famous archer or god of archery, so it could be called -whatever their name was-'s arrows, but the best I've dug up so far is Grothar, god of weather and so of lighting. How about Grothar's Arrows/Spear, or just a game of Groth for short.

Another small idea you're welcome to disregard: how about having names for getting a certain number of shapes filled in, a little like you do in bingo, except representing how good/bad the score is. I rather like the image of the scorekeeper shouting out 'he's got a donkey!' when a player's done exceptionally badly, or whispering 'well I never, that'll be the first dragon we've had in years' to an awed tavern.

I was going to comment on you calling the players 'tossers' as it's a pretty bad insult over here in Britain, till I spotted your little query at the end. I think seeing as Santharians come from all over the world it shouldn't be a problem, as not many people will be offended.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2009, 06:20:28 by Jenna Silverbirch » Logged

The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
-William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Development schedule
Eldreneth Aenterien

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2009, 09:58:36 »

Hi Dek, I think your introduction to this was probably the best I have ever seen. It made you want to ask what is happening? what is happening? It was intriguing and absolutely great. Good job  grin I think Jenna's naming idea was great. Grothar's Spears...sounds pretty catchy. And then there is the matter about what Jenna was also saying about the "donkey" and the "dragon. I have got some suggestions right here from worst to best:

Dungpile: all darts completely miss targets
Slug: Only one target gets hit
Donkey: Only half of the targets get hit
Anvil: all targets get hit by one dart
Dragon: two targets get hit by one dart and two get hit by two darts

If you want, change them around a little, only suggestions.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2009, 04:05:25 »

It's always good to try to bring in something Santharian, like naming things according to creatures from a fantasy world, having a medieval connection, things like that. So nice ideas there what has been suggested - the more you can make an existing game at home in this world, the more unique it gets, so the better.

Introduction is cool, but just try to summarize the game in the first sentences as well, in case we're putting together overviews - and then I always need the first lines representing the key things of the whole entry, which usually is the Overview. In the Games department we don't have a Description part as such, but the first lines are nevertheless essential. Just continue on then with the intro as you did it here already.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2009, 01:30:56 »

Ok ... I've finally finished this.

Thanks Artimidor, Jenna and Eldreneth for your suggestions and advice.

I've decided to name it Arvins Arrows ... I went with that as Arvin is the God of the Hunt and he was the god that the Kyranians were most closely aligned with. I tried to capture Arti's advice regarding Santharising the entry and the introduction.

I also went with the ideas of both Jenna and Eldreneth regarding the naming of different 'scores' in the game. Although I played around with the names I gave things. With Arvin being the God of the Hunt, I thought Hunt made a good name for all four being hit by a dart, and Gramd Hunt if it was done with the first four darts thrown.

I'm still unsure that I got the naming bit right ... and as I've suggested it has basically spread everywhere, people with interests in certain tribes/races/regions might want to check up on those things as well.

Thanks for the interest shown so far in this entry. I think I managed to throw in a couple of Easter Eggs ... though that name I've got in there ... isn't very Kyranian ... so it'll have to change a bit. :D

- Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2009, 04:24:23 »

Ok, some more comments:

- The Styrásh name isn't very Styrásh. Putting words together doesn't make a good name. Names are usually shortened from a basic version, so that they they sound good and can be used in common talk.
- The shape idea is a nice touch :) We don't need perfectly round standard stuff! And the Great Hunt is a good idea as well! :D
- Now you've put in an Overview on top and then directly get in to the intro, which doesn't fit now. How about writing some introductory words to what was previously called the "intro"? Like: "A good game of two great Arvins Arrows players is prone to direct to attract attention in every tavern:" etc.
- Hey, and there is no: "Approximately 9023 b.S." - for one ancient dates are very unsure and we'll most likely get rid of that specific date that right now marks the "Battle of the Wind" (and we'll also have to get rid of various other dates in that range). Approximately doesn't fit to a concrete date anyway. Just specify a decade or millenium, that should do it.
- I wonder why Brownies use poisoned darts to play... But well, that's why that accident became so well known, eh?
- "Charlie Stewart" isn't a Kyranian name (see Kyranian nomenclature, first thread in the People Forum).

These are some things you should still look into, Deklin, but aside from that its pretty much done I'd say.  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2009, 18:28:54 »

Thanks for the feedback, Arti. I've incorporated your feedback and have come up with a slightly better Styrash name, I think. I tried to see if there was a Styrash word for Arvin, but couldn't find one on the Arvin entry.

I was trying to be a bit clever with the name of the bar owner. There is actually a darts historian (he has a PhD in the history of darts) called Patrick Chaplin ... and I was trying to bring that in a bit :D I tried to do it in a way still with his name ... most of the letters from his name are in the new name I gave the tavern owner ... but not all of them. At best, it was an obscure reference, anyway.

Anyway, I welcome further comments on the entry :D

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2009, 03:32:29 »

I notice that you might know some Klingon, Mr. Deklitch-Tribble, but that Styrásh isn't your forte... lol Anyway, "Jraelán Kardión" would mean, literally translated, "to throw - arrow", not "throw arrows"... "Throwing arrows" would be translated to "jraelí kardionthím", but basically what we do with various Styrásh names is to take the roots of the words and make something cool sounding out of it, regardless of the exact declinations. - So you could write e.g. "jraekarthim" (short for "jraelí kardionthím", "throwing arrows"). - How's that?

Question: What has happened to that nice intro? Seems it's entirely gone now, and that was quite atmospheric! noidea Actually I suggested to only make a transition from the Overview part to the Introduction when I wrote:

"A good game of two great Arvins Arrows players is prone to direct to attract attention in every tavern:" etc.

With that I thought that you'd continue with your intro part after the colon, though you've not eliminated the good part methinks...  shocked - Didn't mean that you get rid of it!

Oh, and if you have Easter eggs hidden in your entry, then make sure to post them in this thread, as only then they will make it as such hidden references on the site and get across to the reader.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2009, 16:17:50 »

I notice that you might know some Klingon, Mr. Deklitch-Tribble, but that Styrásh isn't your forte... lol Anyway, "Jraelán Kardión" would mean, literally translated, "to throw - arrow", not "throw arrows"... "Throwing arrows" would be translated to "jraelí kardionthím", but basically what we do with various Styrásh names is to take the roots of the words and make something cool sounding out of it, regardless of the exact declinations. - So you could write e.g. "jraekarthim" (short for "jraelí kardionthím", "throwing arrows"). - How's that?

Actually, if you think my Styrash is bad ... you should see me attempt Klingon :D Anyway, that sounds good to me ... I'll use it, I think.

Question: What has happened to that nice intro? Seems it's entirely gone now, and that was quite atmospheric! noidea Actually I suggested to only make a transition from the Overview part to the Introduction when I wrote:

"A good game of two great Arvins Arrows players is prone to direct to attract attention in every tavern:" etc.

With that I thought that you'd continue with your intro part after the colon, though you've not eliminated the good part methinks...  shocked - Didn't mean that you get rid of it!

Oops, I misunderstood. I'll re-add it to the entry :D

Oh, and if you have Easter eggs hidden in your entry, then make sure to post them in this thread, as only then they will make it as such hidden references on the site and get across to the reader.

I'll be sure to do that with each of my entries :P

Thanks for your review again ... I'm still adding in your suggestions, and will change the icon to number 1 ... but if anyone wants to make further comments, they are welcome to do so :D

thanx

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2009, 05:54:54 »

All comments integrated now, and ready for more ... I'm not as pleased with the introductory prose now ... I don't think it is as strong as the previous version ... but, oh well, that's what you get when you remove part of an entry and don't save it elsewhere, isn't it? :D

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2009, 01:57:18 »

Yay, nobody told you to, Deklitch ;) - Anyway, gonna prepare this one this update!  thumbup

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2009, 05:24:24 »

I didn't mean to sound as though I was suggesting anyone did, Arti.  grin It was more a reflection on myself than anyone else.

Thanks for the blarrow :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]