Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fanghenge (Manthria)  (Read 8550 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« on: 15 December 2009, 03:36:43 »

With Grunok's friendly permission, I present the Manthrian place known as Fanghenge. Comments welcome at any time! Grunok is the author of the myth below, and it also is found in her Clendor Tower entry. I repeat it in this entry as it is relevant.

Overview.
The spired ruins known as Fanghenge, located along the east coast of the province of Manthria near the port city of Marduran, hold a fascinating, if horrific, history. According to the stories surrounding the place, Fanghenge is made from the teeth of a demon who died in battle with another great demon named Gaurgoroth. The site certainly appears to be a collection of six massive fangs, each three peds tall, protruding from the ground in a last defiant scream of death. The great battle between the demons is told in the popular myth, "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor". In addition, Fanghenge is said to be haunted by the so-called apparitions known as the watchers. These phantasms are described as ghostly shadows who appear in the darkest of nights. The local folk of Marduran know well to stay away from the area for it is said that Fanghenge is cursed by the spiritual vestiges of the demon that died there.

Description.
According to legend, Fanghenge stands as a monument to an unholy battle between two titanic forces of evil. As such, the area is not a place the locals would call tranquil and quiet. The ground whereupon the “fangs” protrude is a bleak, grey landscape covered in stones and boulders of various sizes. It stands atop a small hill overlooking the White Fish Cove. For a distance of perhaps eight to nine peds around the area, nothing green grows. The ground is but fetid earth devoid of any kind of fauna. It is as if the demon remains below the earth had poisoned the soil for all eternity.

Each of the six fang spires are approximately three peds tall and one and a half peds wide at each base. The fangs are a dull white colour with scratch marks over the surface. Local stories say that the marks indicate evidence of chewing when the demon was alive to actually eat prey. Over the years, the fangs have born evidence of other man-made markings. Scholars of ancient history have theorized that possibly the scratches are of an extinct language not used since the War of the Chosen. Other stories say the scratches were made by strange cultists such as the True Vision Cult who revere the site as a place of worship. Each scratch mark appears to have been made at different times, with some quite faded while others appear fresh, as if made recently.

There are other indications of strange activity upon the fangs, including the dark, faded splotches of red visible on each spires' surfaces. Again, local legend paints a rather horrific origin of these red splotches as human and animal blood. One persistent claim is that Fanghenge is revered by dark cultists who perform sacrifices to the dead demon in depraved rituals. The True Vision Cult takes the brunt of the blame for these unholy performances, though no proof has ever been found that points to them. There is no doubt among scholars that Fanghenge's history and reputation has attracted many unsavory people to the area. Worshipers of Coor, for example, are known to exist all over Sarvonia and especially thrived during the Third Sarvonian War. Quite possibly, sages say, Fanghenge was used as a place to conduct worship to the Lord of Darkness himself in ages past.

In the center of the circle of fangs is a bare ground. It is said that once ever few years, when the moon’s light casts its baleful eye upon the circle, a hole opens up to reveal the remains of the demon’s skull below ground. The story has spurned many a treasure hunter and eager demonologist scholar to the site to witness such a gruesome sight. However, no one has ever documented such a hole appearing. Interestingly, attempts have been made by explorers who have tried to physically dig into the ground in and around the fangs. Their efforts have been futile. The ground is extremely hard and has withstood all attempts to penetrate it. Despite this, some say there are areas of weakness on the surface of the ground. An old Rat Brownie myth (described below) says that these are possibly Shadow Brownie tunnels dug under the fangs.

Many of those brave enough to visit Fanghenge at night have told tales that a strange fog wafts up from the ground to envelope the fangs in a hungry embrace. There have been few attempts to study this fog as most of the locals believe it to be a malicious curse that bestows illness upon visitors. Still, other researchers, such as the infamous gnomish scholar Waudrin Ghortz, have said that the fog is simply a naturally occurring phenomena based upon the weather conditions and the proximity to the coast. Ghortz and his allies also seek to explain the myths surrounding the site by claiming that the fangs were built ages ago by simple nature worshipers. The stone from which the fangs are crafted, Ghortz says, is simply granite posts carved by expert artisans. As for the barren ground, it also is nothing special, Ghortz claims. According to him, it is just a patch of earth not conducive to growth.

The entire area of Fanghenge is said to be alive with a subtle yet palpable evil. The malevolent atmosphere seems to deter any natural growth of plant life. The nearest tree grows about half a day's journey to the west of Fanghenge. Also, the local people have long known that the surrounding area of Fanghenge is devoid of any animal life. Local hunters know that no game can be found around Fanghenge. Not even birds fly over it, hunters say. It is as if Fanghenge pushes away life and growth and not even the sunlight can bestow any kind of life upon the area.

Location.
Fanghenge is located on the eastern coast of the Santharian province of Manthria, between the Mithral Mountains and the coast. It lies just a day’s journey west of the White Fish Cove and two days journey to Clendor Tower to the northeast. The port city of Marduran is a three day journey from Fanghenge.

People

The Marduran Locals

The locals of the port city of Marduran are well familiar with the legend of Fanghenge. The city is a large fishing port with many adventurous and wild-spirited locals. The people of Marduran will likely tell many stories of Fanghenge history to anyone who asks. Marduran sits within days travel of a handful of ancient historical sites in addition to Clendor Tower and Fanghenge. Dead Fisherman's Grotto and the ruins of Karthmor are all popular attractions for visitors and locals alike. Marduran is alive with the spirit of the Avennorian people, much of the city's population being the adventurous, wealth seeking type. The locals warn away more visitors curious in exploring the mysteries of Fenghenge. Some storytellers and guides offer their services to those who wish to visit Fanghenge and attempt to discover its secrets. Most of these so-called guides and experts reside in many of the city's taverns taking payment in coin in exchange for revealing the latest reports of strange happenings at Fanghenge.  

The True Vision Cult

The scratches, blood stains and persistent rumors of cult activity at Fanghenge over the years has given rise to stories that the infamous demon-worshiping group known as the True Vision Cult have made the area a frequent site of dark worship. These mysterious communities of depraved people are often blamed for all manner of sordid activity. The Cult is rumored to have originated near Ximax, but rumors are whispered all over Santharia that the cult has spread. According to scholars, the wild and unpredictable spirit of Marduran has drawn these cultists to the city. Knowing full well the reputation of Fanghenge as a place discouraged from visitation, it is likely the local True Vision community would find the site a place relatively safe to conduct gatherings. The cultists are commonly believed to be prowl the night, recruiting new members and are regarded as a group to be peaceful unless disturbed or harassed. If any True Vision cultists do consider Fanghenge as a meeting place, surely they would not commit atrocious crimes there. At least, that is what the locals would like to believe.

Shadow Rat Brownies

Gratcha Swath, one of the most preeminent Rat Brownie researchers, who herself is of the Milken Brownie clan, believes that a race of Shadow Brownies may live within some hidden network of caves under Fanghenge. Gratcha's information comes from an ancient myth told by a Rat Brownie clan called the "Red Biters" who live in the sewers of Marduran. The myth, as told below, tells of the creation of these Shadow Brownies when the demons battled to the death. The Red Biters call their shadow brethren the "Prowlers of the Teeth." These Shadow Brownies are cloaked in darkness and emerge every night from their tunnels underneath the fangs. They hunt and prowl the land around Fanghenge for unwary travelers and curious passersby. When the moonlight strikes them, the Prowlers appear as tiny vague gray shapes scurrying about. Brownie lore says that Shadow Brownies are mythical and no real proof has ever been presented concerning their true existence. Nevertheless, the Red Biters insist that these "Prowlers of the Teeth" are very real and very dangerous. Gratcha says that it could explain some of the scratch marks on the fangs since Shadow Brownies are said to possess powerful claws.

Myth/Lore.

The Creation of Fanghenge

The creation of Fanghenge is explained in popular myth known as "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor". The compendiumist Grunok the Exile was the first to publish the myth in the Santharian Compendium. The tale recounts how a wizard named Clendor, who lived before the War of the Chosen, summoned a powerful demon named Gaurgoroth to build him a great tower. He foolishly made a pact with the demon and promised the creature payment in exchange for his services. The wizard, powerful as he was, enslaved the demon and once the tower was finished, Clendor betrayed the beast and banished it back to the Netherworld. Sometime later, when Clendor's students became skilled enough to summon their own demon, it was the betrayed Gaurgoroth who answered. He exacted revenge upon the foolish Clendor and killed him and all but one of his students. The last remaining mage summoned a lesser demon to battle with Gaurgaroth. The two beasts clashed in an mighty battle until Gaurgaroth at last smote the lesser demon into the earth. While most of its vanquished form returned to the Netherworld, the teeth remained behind, visible in the mortal world in the form of Fanghenge as it is known today. Gaurgaroth was driven away, never to be seen again, at least not by that name.

"Prowlers of the Teeth"

As told by Brownie researcher Gratcha Swath, the myth of the creation of the Shadow Brownies at Fanghenge is a fascinating tale. The Red Biter Rat Brownies of Marduran have been telling this myth for ages and have always stayed far from Fanghenge for this reason. The tale begins during the creation of Fanghenge itself. When the demons battled to the death, their fight was long and bloody. Gaurgaroth pummeled his adversary with powerful blows, raining down black blood like an unholy storm. The contest raged into the night, under the smiling gaze of the moon, until at last Gaurgaroth's foe was defeated. The lesser demon's body was banished back to the Netherworld, with his fangs remaining as evidence of the battle.

The story, however, does not end there, according to the Red Biters. When the demons' blood struck the ground, much of the earth was stained. Under the moonlight, from the pools of blood sprang small dark shapes. The blood and earth mingled to create the Shadow Brownies, darkly evil and twisted beyond all imagination. First, terrible little claws burst from the stained ground. What followed were hundreds of tiny heads with glowing red eyes. The creatures struggled out of the ground, pulling themselves up, until finally they stood naked and wet in the chill night. The Brownies immediately began to dig into the ground where the demon fell. Within days, they formed a large tunnel complex underneath the fangs with the entrances sealed with dark magic. To this day, the "Prowlers of the Teeth" still exist and thrive, haunting Fanghenge. This is yet another reason to avoid the place if at all possible.

The Watchers

Fanghenge has long been considered haunted by dark apparitions known as watchers." These phantoms are a well known phenomenon throughout Sarvonia and are said to be encountered around moors, swamps, deep ancient forests and cemeteries. While Fanghenge is none of these things, it is a thought to be a sort of resting place for a demon, so the legends of the watchers inhabiting the place are not surprising. The existence of the watchers cannot be verified as there has never been a truly solid eyewitness account of one. However, over the years, hunters have claimed to have seen vague shadows around Fanghenge at night. These shadows have been described as human-shaped, with barely discernible legs and arms, cloaked in foggy mist. Because they are said to only appear in the darkest of nights, witnesses have only claimed to have seen quick movements of the shadows before they disappear.

« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 04:06:34 by Azhira Styralias » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2009, 11:53:08 »

I am almost embarrassed that this entry is so small...I guess not every Places entry I do has to compare with the Mists!  ;)

However, I modeled the entry after Grunok's entries of Clendor Tower and Marduran as Fanghenge is so closely related to them. I refrained from "going wild" with too much extra stuff that I had in mind. I would like Grunok or Arti to say a few comments on what I have here already. I have ideas of a rumored cult occupying the site, or maybe catacombs underneath the fangs...but I am not sure if that fits in the spirit of Manthria. Its not my region of development. I am just visiting!  ;)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Grunok the Exile

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2009, 14:50:38 »

This looks great!  What you have so far looks very much in the spirit of what I'd imagined (although that is by no means necessary, as long as it fits with the site).  My editors' fingers itching to Uri it though... hehe  ;)

I rather like the catacombs idea, and rumours of a cult are always fun. pet   However, I think if you do want to have a cult, try to use one we already have on site.  There are a few you could blame it on (not to mention those Greylers!  This would be just the spot for them - avoided by locals.  Not to over-self-promote  nerd). 

Having said all that, nice, small places entries are great for the site - you don't always want to have twelve pages to read!  speechless

I'll try to keep an eye on this, Azhira - I have a little more time over the summer, as fencing is in recess - but feel free to get hold of me if you need anything.  I'm often in #santharia or #channel, and my contact details are on my team page   pet

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2009, 14:03:37 »

The Greylers! A splendid idea, Grun. I went ahead and used them, they worked perfectly. I also added some lore on the Watchers phantasms, as well as more description. I think the entry works well now. I'll consider it finished unless you have any further suggestions.  thumbup

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2009, 17:20:49 »

A quick look for my co-cos-mod, that's a mythical place after all ;)

•  Overview

The spired ruins known as Fanghenge, located along the east coast of the province of Manthria near the port city of Marduran, holds a fascinating, if horrific, history. If the stories surrounding the place are to be believed, Fanghenge is made of the remains of a demon’s teeth who had died in battle with another great demon named Gaurgoroth. The site certainly appears to be a collection of six massive fangs, each three peds tall, protruding from the ground in a last defiant scream of death. The great battle between the demons is told in the popular myth called "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor". In addition, Fanghenge is said to be haunted by Watchers phantasms, ghostly shadows who appear in the darkest of nights. The local folk of Marduran know well to stay away from the area for it is said that Fanghenge is cursed by the spiritual vestiges of the demon that died there.

•  Description

According to legend, Fanghenge stands as a monument to an unholy battle between two titanic forces of evil. As such, the area is not a place the locals would call tranquil and quiet. The grounds whereupon the “fangs” protrude is a bleak, grey mass of patchy grass and wild thorn bushes. It stands atop a small hill overlooking the White Fish Cove. For a distance of perhaps eight to nine peds around the area, nothing green grows. The ground is a mass of dead or dying undergrowth with a few scattered pebbles and large stones.

That implicates, that this grass was once green and living and with it, that the evil of this place rose only recently. Maybe make clearer, that it grows like this.

Each of the six fang spires are approximately three peds tall and one and a half peds wide at each base. The fangs are a dull white in color with scratch marks over the surface of each one. Local stories say that the marks indicate evidence of chewing when the demon was alive to actually eat prey. Over the years, the fangs have born evidence of other man-mad markings. Scholars of ancient history have theorized that possibly the scratches are of an extinct language not used since the War of the Chosen. Other stories say the scratches were made by strange cultists such as the Greylers who revere the site as a place of worship. Each scratch mark appears to have been made at different times, with some quite faded while others appear fresh, as if made recently.

Other indications of strange activity upon the fangs are dark, faded splotches of red that can be seen on each of the spires' surfaces. Again, local legend paints a rather horrific origin of these red splotches as being human and animal blood. One persistent story about Fanghenge is that it is revered by dark cultists who perform sacrifices to the dead demon in depraved rituals. The Greylers take the brunt of the blame for these unholy performances, though no proof has ever been found that points to them. There is no doubt among scholars that Fanghenge's history and reputation during its existence has attracted many unsavory people to the area. Worshipers of Coor, for example, are known to exist all over Sarvonia and especially thrived during the Third Sarvonian War. Quite possibly, sages say, Fanghenge was used as a place to conduct worship to the Lord of Darkness himself in ages past.

In the center of the circle of fangs is a bare ground. It is said that once ever few years, when the moon’s light casts its baleful eye upon the circle, that a hole opens up to reveal the remains of the demon’s skull below ground. The story has spurned many a treasure hunter and eager demonologist scholar to the site to witness such a gruesome sight. However, no one has ever documented such a hole appearing. Interestingly, attempts have been made by explorers who have tried to physically dig into the ground in and around the fangs. Their efforts have been futile. The ground is extremely hard and has withstood all attempts to penetrate it.

Many of those brave enough to visit Fanghenge at night have told tales that a strange fog wafts up from the ground to envelope the fangs in a hungry embrace. There have been few attempts to study this fog as most of the locals believe it to be a malicious curse that bestows illness upon visitors. Still, other researchers have said that the fog is simply a naturally occurring phenomena based upon the weather conditions and the proximity to the coast. These same researchers also seek to debunk the myths surrounding the site by claiming the fangs were built ages ago by nature worshipers. The stone with which the fangs are crafted, they say, is simply granite carved by expert artisans. As for the barren ground, it also nothing special, they say. Just a patch of earth not conducive to growth.

The entire area of Fanghenge is said to be alive with a subtle, yet palpable evil. The malevolent atmosphere seems to deter any natural growth of plant. The nearest tree grows about half a day's journey to the west of Fanghenge. Also, the local people have long known that the surrounding area of Fanghenge is devoid of any animal life. Local hunters know that no game can be found around Fanghenge. Not even birds fly over it, hunters say. It is as if Fanghenge pushes away life and growth and not even the sunlight can bestow any kind of contentment upon the area.

Fanghenge is located is located on the eastern coast of the Santharian province of Manthria, between the Mithral Mountains and the coast. It lies just a day’s journey west of the White Fish Cove and three days journey to Clendor Tower to the northeast. The port city of Marduran is a three day journey from Fanghenge. Fanghenge sits in a large field upon a small hill.

How many strals did you assume, are a days journey? Seems a bit too muhc for me

Some rough numbers:
Fang (centre of circle) --  Clendor (base) --> 46 strals
Fang (centre of circle) --coast 25-30 strals
Fang (centre of circle) - Manduran, flight of the bird --> 60 strals
Fang (road next to it) -- Manduran 100 strals

From what I know, people travel about 50 strals per day, if the road was good. Clendor tower would then be nearer (nearer than Marduran anyway)

•  People

The Marduran Locals

The locals of the port city of Marduran are well familiar with the legend of Fanghenge. The area is closely tied with the ominous and ancient Clendor Tower, the home of a powerful wizard of old. The people of Marduran will likely tell anyone who asks many stories of Fanghenge history. Marduran sits within days travel of a handful of ancient historical sites in addition to Clendor Tower and Fanghenge. Dead Fisherman's Grotto and the ruins of Karthmor are all popular attractions for visitors and locals alike.
 Marduran is alive with the spirit of the Avennorian people with much of the city's culture being the adventurous, wealth seeking type. The locals warn away most curious visitors to Fanghenge, but some of the more enterprising folk take advantage of it. Storytellers and guides offer their services to those who wish to visit Fanghenge and attempt to discover its secrets. Most of these so-called guides and experts reside in many of the city's taverns taking payment in coin in exchange for revealing the latest reports of strange happenings at Fanghenge.  

You haven‘t told much of the locals, looks a bit as if they have no other occupation than telling foreigners about their ruins and do nothing else than thinking at it. Isn‘t it a fishertown? And quite big?

The Greyler Hermits

The scratches, stains of red and persistent rumors of cult activity at Fanghenge over the years has given rise to stories that the Greyler hermits have made the area a frequent site of dark worship. These mysterious communities of lonesome people are often blamed for all manner of sordid activity. The Greylers are not welcomed in many areas of Santharia, but the wild and unpredictable spirit of Marduran has drawn these hermits to the city. Knowing full well the reputation of Fanghenge as a place discouraged from visitation, it is likely the local Greyler community would find the site a place relatively safe to conduct gatherings. Greylers are commonly believed to be peaceful, yet what is also thought about them is that they are a group of misfits, disabled and generally "odd" as a whole. If any Greylers do consider Fanghenge as a meeting place, surely they would not commit atrocious crimes there. It is not their way. At least, that is what the locals would like to believe.

Is Mira ok with this? (Probably yes)

•  Myth/Lore

The creation of Fanghenge is explained in popular myth known as "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor" the known researcher Grunoc the Exile has handed over to the compendium. The myth is told in its entirely here:

The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor.   Clendor was a great and powerful mage who lived some time earlier in the Age of Sorcery, before Karthmor was built and before the War of the Chosen. Clendor was a proud man and so when he decided to build a tower for himself, he chose to summon a  demon to build it for him. He planned to bargain with the beast, have it build a magnificent stronghold for him, and then dispel it without payment. The demon who answered his summons was named Gaurgoroth. Stories do not agree on what degree of demon he was – Lord, high, or lesser. Some have speculated that it might have been the Demon Lord Ghelgath misnamed, although this is not likely as it is written in the Compendium that no wizard has ever controlled him.

Gaurgoroth fought his enslavement viciously but eventually was forced to acquiesce; perhaps it helped that the mage offered the demon a bargain, but perhaps not. What that bargain was is now lost, although each version of the story seems to have at least one, if not many different ideas on the topic. So, Gaurgoroth laid the stones of the building with his own huge, clawed hands, according to Clendor’s plan. When it was finished he demanded his price. Clendor stood atop his tower, looking Gaurgoroth in the eye. Unable to control a wide grin of triumph he replied “No”, and laughing, sent the demon back to his place in the Netherworlds.

Years passed, and Clendor’s reputation grew. He attracted a small village of people who built homes at the base of his Tower, hoping to become apprenticed to him or to work for him in some other way, thereby gaining his protection and a share of his wealth. It was one such, an apprentice of the mage, who made the fatal mistake. The apprentice, whose name is lost to history, called up a demon. This in itself would not have been a problem but for the fact that when a demon is summoned, that which holds back the denizens of the Netherworld is weakened. So it was that Gaurgoroth returned to exact his price from Clendor, in blood.

The village was destroyed almost immediately as Gaurgoroth stomped upon it, becoming huge in his anger – taller than the highest of the spires of the tower he had built. Clendor and his pupils emerged on to the roof to do battle with the demon; it was mere moments before the mage was obliterated in bloody fashion, along with half of his students. One of the remaining apprentices, far advanced in the arts and cool-headed, summoned another demon whose name is now forgotten. Together the remaining students bound it to fight Gaurgoroth. This demon was half the size of Gaurgoroth but was still huge – heavily muscled and hairy, with six poisoned fangs which stuck out from the front of its mouth like curved ivory daggers.

The demonic battle raged for hours, their huge steps taking them for strals in each direction. Both sustained grievous wounds. Finally, Gaurgoroth prevailed, pushing the weaker demon down into the earth toward the Netherworlds while draining its strength. The other demon died, but its physical form never completely reached the Netherworlds – Gaurgoroth’s might was too sorely diminished. Part of its skull stayed on this plane, its teeth protruding from the earth in the circular pattern of its final scream of defeat, leaving the formation now known as Fanghenge. Gaurgoroth was sorely wounded, so that even the remaining apprentices could have been a threat to him. He turned and fled out across the sea to the east. As he ran, his clawed hind leg gouged the seabed up, forming the islands of Gaurgoroth’s Claw and the other off-shore mountains. Gaurgoroth was never seen again in the lands which are now Santharia – at least, not by that name.

The few remaining apprentices returned into the Tower only to find that the dark beasts they had been experimenting on, and new ones from the Netherworlds, had taken over the Tower. Two of the strongest managed to fight their way through the monsters to the ground level where, with their remaining strength, they sealed the Tower so that people and animals could get in, but nothing evil could get out. They chose to do it in this way because there were vast riches within which they wished to recover. Legends vary as to whether the survivors ever returned to the Tower to try to regain their wealth; some even say that they died with the effort of that final spell.

Watchers Phantasms

Fanghenge has long been considered haunted by dark apparitions known as "Watchers". These phantoms are a well known phenomenon throughout Sarvonia and are said to be encountered around moors, swamps, deep ancient forests and cemeteries. While Fanghenge is none of these things, it is a thought to be a sort of resting place for a demon, so the legends of the Watchers inhabiting the place is not surprising. The existence of the Watchers cannot be verified as there has never been a truly solid eyewitness account of one. However, over the years, hunters have claimed to have seen vague shadows around Fanghenge at night. These shadows have been described as human shaped, with barely discernible legs and arms, cloaked in foggy mist. Because they are said to only appear in the darkest of nights, witnesses have only claimed to have seen quick movements of the shadows before they disappear.

« Last Edit: Today at 16:59:43 by Azhira »

A nice place *shudders*, a nice description *shudders again*

You have a lot of lore mixed into your description, which I would say, has its place in the lore section. But then, the description would be a bit short. If nobody else has problems with not following the template here, I have none either.

I don‘t think, that it is needed to have here the whole myth Grunoc wrote. A summary with a link would suffice. That what links are for - people should be guided to read other entries as well. If you insist in having it here in its entirety, then you could at least mention, that Grunoc has told it in your entry, not only mention here (myth from „Grunoc“) at the end. I personally find it great, if I can mention a fellow compendiumist in my entries.

What about an extra myth from you, the myth mod? A new one? Such a place has surely brought forward more than just the one Grunoc wrote. Then you don't need Grunocs, important as it is for your story.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2009, 12:28:30 »

Oh, this was a fun entry!

Thanks Talia! You were right about the myths. I summarized Grunok's myth and will be linked to the full Clendor entry when uploaded. I also mentioned Grunok the compendiumist as well.

Additionally, I added a new people - Shadow Rat Brownies! And added a myth about their creation. I thought and thought what to do and the Shadow Brownies were a perfect fit.

As for the measurements, I took them from Grunok's Marduran entry. She listed days travel rather than strals.

I think I am done now.  thumbup I'll PM Grunok for a lookover.

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2009, 18:13:55 »

You have indeed chosen two perfect spots for Rat Brownies! So yes, the official  thumbup for those.  In fact this is just the kind of way I like to see them developed - you've got the group in the city who we're fairly sure exist, and the Shadow Rat Brownies at Fanghenge who are more of a rumour (but probably do exist really).  + Aura from me!

The only thing is that Gratcha's name is "Gratcha" not "Gratha". It's supposed to be one of those really ugly granny names, you know, like Ethel or Gertrude or Claude.  She was a bit unfortunate in that way was our Gratcha, but she's made up for it. You've also got one "Fenghenge" here:

Birth of the "Prowlers of the Teeth"

As told by Brownie researcher Gratha Swath, the myth of the creation of the Shadow Brownies at Fanghenge is a fascinating tale. The Red Biter rat brownies of Marduran have been telling this myth for ages and have always stayed far from Fenghenge for this reason.

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2009, 18:24:29 »

Haha, that is great now!  thumbup

I don't exactly know how you could add that (or if you want to), but when reading about the shadow brownies and their (non existent) tunnelsystem I thought maybe the ground gives in sometimes at certain places (between the fangs) when one of your daring youths tries to proof his braveness. Just a little bit, but I bet he would think the demon's claw will grab his ankle...  that would add to the myth that it is dangerous to go inside the circle. (The reason could be mice!)

An aura from me for not being annoyed with me when stumbling in and commenting when you thought you where finished!
« Last Edit: 18 December 2009, 18:26:06 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2009, 21:42:34 »

@ Rooks

Thanks for the comments! I am glad to have done a decent job at placing these Rat Brownies. I also corrected Gratcha's name.  ;)

@ Talia

Its ok, I really do appreciate your comments. They sometimes do create work  :P, but more often then not, the extra work is worth it as the entry is better off in the end. I added a small bit about the ground being weak in some spots because the (non-existent) tunnels... evil

The Aura is appreciated!  grin

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2009, 14:10:30 »

Grammar/style check in this color.

•  Overview

The spired ruins known as Fanghenge, located along the east coast of the province of Manthria near the port city of Marduran, holds a fascinating, if horrific, history. [subject is plural ("ruins") so "hold" instead of "holds."] If According to the stories surrounding the place are to be believed, Fanghenge is made of the remains of a demon’s teeth from the teeth of a demon who had died in battle with another great demon named Gaurgoroth. [As the sentence is set up now, we are left not knowing the name of the demon whose teeth were left behind. It's strange that we should know the name of this demon's opponent, but not his own!] The site certainly appears to be a collection of six massive fangs, each three peds tall, protruding from the ground in a last defiant scream of death. [Nice description!] The great battle between the demons is told in the popular myth[comma] called "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor." [Periods and commas always go inside quotes and scare quotes] In addition, Fanghenge is said to be haunted by Watchers phantasms [I'm not sure of the relationship between these last two words. Is this suppose to be "Watcher-phantasms" or something similar?][/color], ghostly shadows who appear in the darkest of nights. The local folk of Marduran know well to stay away from the area for it is said that Fanghenge is cursed by the spiritual vestiges of the demon that died there.

•  Description

According to legend, Fanghenge stands as a monument to an unholy battle between two titanic forces of evil. As such, the area is not a place the locals would call tranquil and quiet. The grounds whereupon the “fangs” protrude is a bleak, gray landscape, covered in of various sizes of stones and boulders of various sizes. It stands atop a small hill overlooking the White Fish Cove. For a distance of perhaps eight to nine peds around the area, nothing green grows. The ground is but fetid earth devoid of any kind of fauna[period] It is as if the demon remains below the earth have had poisoned the soil for all eternity.

Each of the six fang spires are approximately three peds tall and one and a half peds wide at each base. The fangs are a dull white in color with scratch marks over the surface of each one. Local stories say that the marks indicate evidence of chewing when the demon was alive to actually eat prey. Over the years, the fangs have born evidence of other man-mad markings. Scholars of ancient history have theorized that possibly the scratches are of an extinct language not used since the War of the Chosen. Other stories say the scratches were made by strange cultists such as the Greylers who revere the site as a place of worship. Each scratch mark appears to have been made at different times, with some quite faded while others appear fresh, as if made recently.

There are other indications of strange activity upon the fangs, including the are dark, faded splotches of red that can be seen visible on each of the spires' surfaces. Again, local legend paints a rather horrific origin of these red splotches as being human and animal blood. One persistent story claim about Fanghenge is that it Fanghenge is revered by dark cultists who perform sacrifices to the dead demon in depraved rituals. The Greylers take the brunt of the blame for these unholy performances, though no proof has ever been found that points to them. ["Story" (or "claim") implies a lack of certainty of the truth. The way the last sentences are constructed implies there is no doubt about these rituals--they really do take place] There is no doubt among scholars that Fanghenge's history and reputation during its existence has attracted many unsavory people to the area. Worshipers of Coor, for example, are known to exist all over Sarvonia and especially thrived during the Third Sarvonian War. Quite possibly, sages say, Fanghenge was used as a place to conduct worship to the Lord of Darkness himself in ages past.

In the center of the circle of fangs is a bare ground. It is said that once ever few years, when the moon’s light casts its baleful eye upon the circle, that a hole opens up to reveal the remains of the demon’s skull below ground. The story has spurned many a treasure hunter and eager demonologist scholar to the site to witness such a gruesome sight. However, no one has ever documented such a hole appearing. Interestingly, attempts have been made by explorers who have tried to physically dig into the ground in and around the fangs. Their efforts have been futile. The ground is extremely hard and has withstood all attempts to penetrate it. Despite this, some say there are areas of weakness on the surface of the ground. An old Rat Brownie myth (described below) says that these are possibly Shadow Brownie tunnels dug under the fangs.

Many of those brave enough to visit Fanghenge at night have told tales that a strange fog wafts up from the ground to envelope the fangs in a hungry embrace. There have been few attempts to study this fog as most of the locals believe it to be a malicious curse that bestows illness upon visitors. Still, other researchers have said that the fog is simply a naturally occurring phenomena based upon the weather conditions and the proximity to the coast. These same researchers also seek to debunk the myths surrounding the site by claiming the fangs were built ages ago by nature worshipers. The stone with from which the fangs are crafted, they say, is simply granite carved by expert artisans. As for the barren ground, it also nothing special, they say. Just a patch of earth not conducive to growth.

The entire area of Fanghenge is said to be alive with a subtle[no comma] yet palpable evil. The malevolent atmosphere seems to deter any natural growth of plant life?. The nearest tree grows about half a day's journey to the west of Fanghenge. Also, the local people have long known that the surrounding area of Fanghenge is devoid of any animal life. Local hunters know that no game can be found around Fanghenge. Not even birds fly over it, hunters say. It is as if Fanghenge pushes away life and growth and not even the sunlight can bestow any kind of contentment upon the area. ["contentment" seems strange here. "Vegetation"? Or "life" again?]

Fanghenge is located is located on the eastern coast of the Santharian province of Manthria, between the Mithral Mountains and the coast. It lies just a day’s journey west of the White Fish Cove and two days journey to Clendor Tower to the northeast. The port city of Marduran is a three day journey from Fanghenge.

•  People

The Marduran Locals

The locals of the port city of Marduran are well familiar with the legend of Fanghenge. The city is a large fishing port with many adventurous and wild[dash]spirited locals. The people of Marduran will likely tell anyone who asks many stories of Fanghenge history to anyone who asks. Marduran sits within days travel of a handful of ancient historical sites in addition to Clendor Tower and Fanghenge. Dead Fisherman's Grotto and the ruins of Karthmor are all popular attractions for visitors and locals alike. Marduran is alive with the spirit of the Avennorian people[comma] with much of the city's culture population being the adventurous, wealth seeking type. The locals warn away most curious visitors to Fanghenge [This implies that they have already visited Fanghenge. Maybe "The locals warm away more visitors curious in exploring the mysteries of Fenghenge" or something similar?], but some of the more enterprising folk take advantage of it. [What is "it"?] Storytellers and guides offer their services to those who wish to visit Fanghenge and attempt to discover its secrets. Most of these so-called guides and experts reside in many of the city's taverns taking payment in coin in exchange for revealing the latest reports of strange happenings at Fanghenge.  

The Greyler Hermits

The scratches, stains of red and persistent rumors of cult activity at Fanghenge over the years has given rise to stories that the Greyler hermits have made the area a frequent site of dark worship. These mysterious communities of lonesome people are often blamed for all manner of sordid activity. The Greylers are not welcomed in many areas of Santharia, but the wild and unpredictable spirit of Marduran has drawn these hermits to the city. Knowing full well the reputation of Fanghenge as a place discouraged from visitation, it is likely the local Greyler community would find the site a place relatively safe to conduct gatherings. Greylers are commonly believed to be peaceful, yet they are regarded as what is also thought about them is that they are a group of misfits, disabled and generally "odd" as a whole. If any Greylers do consider Fanghenge as a meeting place, surely they would not commit atrocious crimes there. It is not their way. At least, that is what the locals would like to believe.

Shadow Rat Brownies

Gratcha Swath, one of the most preeminent Rat Brownie researchers, who herself is of the Milken brownie clan, believes that a race of Shadow Brownies may live within some hidden network of caves under Fanghenge. Gratcha's information comes from an ancient myth as told from by a Rat Brownie clan called the "Red Biters" who live in the sewers of Marduran. The myth, as told below, tells of the creation of these Shadow Brownies when the demons battled to the death. The Red Biters call their shadow brethren the "Prowlers of the Teeth." These Shadow Brownies are cloaked in darkness and emerge every night from their tunnels underneath the fangs. They hunt and prowl the land around Fanghenge looking for small prey to bring back to their caves. [What prey? I thought nothing lived there. Perhaps they subsist on something else, other than living animals and plants?] When the moonlight strikes them, the Prowlers appear as tiny vague gray shapes scurrying about. Brownie lore tells says that Shadow Brownies are mythical and no real proof has ever been presented concerning their true existence. Nevertheless, the Red Biters insist that these "Prowlers of the Teeth" are very real and very dangerous. Gratcha says that it could explain some of the scratch marks on the fangs since Shadow Brownies are said to possess powerful claws.

•  Myth/Lore

The Creation of Fanghenge

The creation of Fanghenge is explained in popular myth known as "The Rise and Fall of the Wizard Clendor[period]" The compendiumist Grunok the Exile was the first to publish the myth in the Santharian Compendium. The tale recounts how a wizard named Clendor, who lived thousands of years ago, before the War of the Chosen, summoned a powerful demon named Gaurgoroth to build him a great tower. He foolishly made a pact with the demon and promised the creature payment in exchange for his services. The wizard, powerful as he was, enslaved the demon and once the tower was finished, Clendor betrayed the beast and banished it back to the Netherworld. Sometime later, when Clendor's students became skilled enough to summon their own demon, it was the betrayed Gaurgoroth who answered. He exacted revenge upon the foolish Clendor and killed him and all but one of his students. The last remaining mage summoned a lesser demon to battle with Gaurgaroth. The two beasts clashed in an mighty battle until Gaurgaroth at last smote the lesser demon into the earth. The defeated demon never reached the Netherworld [Do demons generally return to the Netherworld upon death? Perhaps you might add something like "While most of its vanquished form returned to the Netherworld, the teeth remained behind" or something similar?], however, and its great fangs remain visible in the mortal world in the form of Fanghenge as it is known today. Gaurgaroth was driven away, never to be seen again, at least not by that name.

"Prowlers of the Teeth"

As told by Brownie researcher Gratcha Swath, the myth of the creation of the Shadow Brownies at Fanghenge is a fascinating tale. The Red Biter rat brownies of Marduran have been telling this myth for ages and have always stayed far from Fanghenge for this reason. The tale begins during the creation of Fanghenge itself. When the demons battled to the death, their fight was long and bloody. Gaurgaroth pummeled his adversary with powerful blows, raining down black blood like an unholy storm. The contest raged into the night, under the smiling gaze of the moon, until at last Gaurgaroth's foe was defeated. The lesser demon's body was banished back to the Netherworld, with his fangs remaining as evidence of the battle.

The story, however, does not end there, according to the Red Biters. When the demons' blood struck the ground, much of the earth was stained. Under the moonlight, from the pools of blood sprang small dark shapes. The blood and earth mingled to create the Shadow Brownies, darkly evil and twisted beyond all imagination. First, terrible little claws burst from the stained ground. What followed were hundreds of tiny heads with glowing red eyes. The creatures struggled out of the ground, pulling themselves up, until finally they stood naked and wet in the chill night. The brownies immediately began to dig into the ground where the demon fell. Within days, they formed a large tunnel complex underneath the fangs with the entrances sealed with dark magic. To this day, the "Prowlers of the Teeth" still exist and thrive, haunting Fanghenge. Yet another reason to avoid the place if at all possible.

Watchers Phantasms

Fanghenge has long been considered haunted by dark apparitions known as "Watchers." These phantoms are a well known phenomenon throughout Sarvonia and are said to be encountered around moors, swamps, deep ancient forests and cemeteries. While Fanghenge is none of these things, it is a thought to be a sort of resting place for a demon, so the legends of the Watchers inhabiting the place is are not surprising. [Plural subject "legends," so "are" instead of "is."][/color] The existence of the Watchers cannot be verified as there has never been a truly solid eyewitness account of one. However, over the years, hunters have claimed to have seen vague shadows around Fanghenge at night. These shadows have been described as human[dash]shaped, with barely discernible legs and arms, cloaked in foggy mist. Because they are said to only appear in the darkest of nights, witnesses have only claimed to have seen quick movements of the shadows before they disappear.

[You are a beautifully descriptive writer, Azhira. A pleasure to read.]

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2009, 12:52:29 »

Thanks for the uri, Rayne! Forgive that I did not color every single comma, dash and fix you suggested. I assure you they are all there, and the entry is much better for it. I can color them if you wish, but it seemed tedious. You can trust me!  ;)

One thing I need to figure out is what the Prowlers do when they stalk the night around Fanghenge...hunting prey? Maybe I should mention a few animals to be safe. undecided

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2009, 14:35:49 »

Oh dear, no--don't color every comma and dash and period. You have far better things to do. @_@' I think all of that is rather tedious, too!

Perhaps you could change their diet. I mean, these are myth, and seem to have a relatively non-corporeal form. Perhaps they feed on shadows, fear, the residue of evil or something also non-corporeal?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2009, 07:45:55 »

They hunt and prowl the land around Fanghenge for unwary travelers and curious passersby.

I added this bit about the Prowlers hunting curious travelers and visitors. It adds to the reputation as being a dangerous place. I think that works.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2010, 07:27:20 »

Just to make it all official and signal to Artimidor that I think this piece should be integrated, let me state it outright:

Rayne approves!  clap

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2010, 09:37:43 »

Thanks Rayne!

I am just patiently waiting for Grunok's approval. Fanghenge is in her area of development, so we'll wait until she returns for a peek. I'm in no rush.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]