Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Skyling/ Isthmus of Doom/ WIP  (Read 12144 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 02 March 2010, 17:19:25 »

Basic Overview of the Beast
Skylings are an abomination that has the general look of a mortal, but has leathery wings protruding from their backs.   Inhabiting the Isthmus of Doom, they have long been the bane of adventurers to that area.  Some think they are mistakes of nature, while others believe they are a curse of the gods, and still others profess that they are the result of demonic breeding of young maids.  Regardless of their origin, the people of Antislar have vowed to destroy them at all costs.

Appearance
Skylings are remarkable in that they appear, from a distance, to be both human and elf.  They have mortal bodies, female in almost all cases, that could very well be human, except for the elven trait of pointed ears.  If one could look beyond the nightmarish reality of them, they could be considered beautiful, though the skylings know this and use it to their advantage. (see Special Abilities)  Most of these creatures have a luxurious mane of dark hair on their heads, though lighter shades are found.  Large lunimous eyes, blue and green predominately, with brown eyes the exception, are set on atractive faces with full lips.  Then the skyling will smile, and all vestige of humanity will be lost.  Yellowed teeth, sharp and pointy, fill their mouths.  These teeth are perfect for ripping flesh, and rending bone.  These are true carnivores, as wild and viscious as any wolf or bear.  When they are eating, the front teeth extend, growing from a nailbreadth in length to three or four times that.

The skyling has a body that resembles that of a voluptuous female.  Wide hips and full breasts are a typical feature.  They average a ped two fores in stature, and might weigh a pygge and a heb.  They differ from humanoid races in that they have a pair of leathery wings that protrude from their backs.  In flight, these wings might stretch two ped and a half from tip to tip.  On the ground, the skyling has two differing ways of carrying them.  The first way is to simply have them pulled in and resting behind them.  This is the most common way the skylings will be seen on the ground.  The second way a skyling can hold their wings is what is called Cloaked.  The skyling will wrap its wings around them, and it closely resembles a cloak draped around their shoulders.  It is in this disguise that skylings will sometimes hunt.  (see Special Abilities)

The skyling has unique hands and feet.  The hands look like regular hands, but the fingernails are extendable and retractable, much like a cats.  When defending itself, or hunting, the skyling will extend the claws, which are quite sharp.  While retracted, the skyling can manipulate objects as a human could, though skylings do not use weapons.  (see Behaviour)  Similarily, their feet also have retractable claws, with an extra digit that porotrudes from the heel.  This allows the skyling to pick up objects with their feet in flight, much like eagles pluck fish from ponds or owls snag mice on the ground.

Male skylings, far fewer in number, are rarely seen as they tend to stay near the nest.  They are said to appear human or elf, as are the females, but differ from the females in that their wings are often stunted.  Most males have weak wings that do not allow them to fly, and are there only for show.  How this happened, or why, is not known.  There are a few, however, that do have full sized wings, and they stand taller than the avergage skyling, as tall as two peds.  It is thought that these are the breeders of the nest.

Special Abilities
The skyling makes use of several special abilities, all of which contribute to the horrorific nature of these creatures.  Its natural resemblance to humanoids make it difficult to discern at distances.  By the time one recognizes the danger, it is often too late.   Making use of poor light at dawn or dusk, night or during storms, a solitary creature will stand still where humans are want to go.  If an unsuspecting human, or elf, sees this figure and approaches it, he or she will often get too close before they can discern that the cloaked figure they had seen was in fact, a skyling.  At this point, the skyling will let out a screeching cry that attracts others in its hunting party, often numbering ten or more creatures.  The skylings will then fly in and overwhelm the prey.

Flight, of course, is another special ability that helps the skyling.  It has been noted that the skyling, though strong, cannot sustain flight for prolonged periods of time.  Without carrying anything, it has been observed that they can fly no more than 5 or 6 strals.  In order to lift a victim of average man size, it takes three or four skylings and they can only fly one or two strals before resting.

Territory
The Isthmus of Doom is home to the foul creatures known as Skylings.  Found on the Iol Peninsula, the Isthmus of Doom is on the western edge.  Though found predominantly here, they are not strictly limited to the Isthmus.  Their territoiry extends north as far as the Sea of Iol, and skylings have been encountered as far south as the Mantle Woods.  There are two schools of thought on this.  The first being that the skylings are spreading out, and expanding their territory, which has increased the urgency in the Antislar view that the skylings need to be destroyed.  The other view, is that it is precisely because of the efforts of the Antislar to eradicate the skylings that have forced them out of the Isthmus of Doom and into new territory.

Habitat/Behavior
Witnesses to a lair of the skylings, which is a very rare thing, often compare it to kicking open a myrmex nest.  There is a busting of activity with some leaving the nest, some returning, and the queen at the center of it all.

Diet
Skylings are carnivorous creatures that are not above scavenging to subsidize their diet.  Though fresh meat is the preferred diet, they have been known to carry carcasses back to their nests.  The most terrifying aspect of their diet is their penchant for human flesh.  Though it can be argued that hunting humans is in reality only a small part of their diet, the thought of any creature actively hunting human victims is one to cause great alarm.

In truth, the skylings hunt mainly animals.  Paxen are a favourite food, and more so the young paxen, as it is easier for the skylings to bring the meat back to the nest.   Small animals are also taken, like leapor hares,

selkie, tarandus deer,        

Mating
What are their mating behaviors or rituals? Do they mate at all? Is there maybe some sort of dance? Which gender is the aggressor usually? Again, detail.

Myth/Lore/Origin
As with all creatures and creations on the disc, these foul beasts come from the dream of Koraya.  Long before Koraya had brought man into being, before the time of elves and orcs and the other races, Koraya had placed on the world his chosen children.  Demons foul, feeding on each other and anything that they came across.  Among these were the skylings, and for a time, they were ugly things, skin a greyish green, blue veins pulsing with their black demon blood.

Researchers
Kyberm Swalturk is one of the most famous of all Antislar researchers.  A soldier for many years, he has since become a valued contributor to the Compendium.  In his reports, he states honestly that he had never been first hand to the Isthmus of Doom but has colected first hand accounts and written records.  An expidition is planned for next year, at which time Swalturk will enter the Isthmus of Doom and bring fresh information back to the Compendium.

Usages
The people of Antislar do not use any portion of the Skyling.  When they kill one of these creatures, the carcass is quickly destroyed, usually through fire, or if that is not practical, then by cutting the body into many pieces and buried in seperate graves.  A deep seeded hatred and fear of these creatures prevents the Antislar from even attempting to make a use of these foul beings.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2014, 11:47:03 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2010, 04:20:34 »

Alt, I don't know, if I like that or not. It is not very Santharian, a cliche found elsewhere. Give a reason e.g., why these should have voluptuous bodies? I doubt, any men of those people up there would be too tempted... think of somethign a bit different. These women can be described like this in southern tales, but you tell about the reality, in the way you write them.

I'll post some pics of them, no idea when I have the time to do it though.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2010, 04:33:29 »

Eh, it might evolve.  You say cliche like its a bad thing.  As far as "why", it will become more apparent with more details added.  Not sure why you would say "not very Santharian", however.  Because it is found elswhere?  Unlike hobbits, elves and dwarves?

I guess it could be compared to a harpy, which is found in numerous myths and stories, but I'm not sure that should preclude it from being part of this world.  I'm not asking for it to be a new race, I plan on keeping it feral and beastlike.

But, I'll continue to write it up.  If, after it is done, no one wants to approve it, then that's fine.  But, it has been in my head since the hospital, so will get it developed for my own sanity.

Besides, you and I haven't battled big in a long time.  We're due.  So, you prepare your claws and I'll sharpen mine. :P
« Last Edit: 03 March 2010, 04:36:12 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2010, 05:54:11 »

Alt, I don't know, if I like that or not. It is not very Santharian, a cliche found elsewhere. Give a reason e.g., why these should have voluptuous bodies? I doubt, any men of those people up there would be too tempted... think of somethign a bit different. These women can be described like this in southern tales, but you tell about the reality, in the way you write them.

I agree with Talia. I don't have claws, but I have a cage of hungry Netherbeasts you can wrestle!  evil

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2010, 06:14:19 »

Well, I happen to like the idea of this creature ... and there are plenty of other things in Santharia that could be considered 'cliches' if we really want to go down that path. Why don't we let Altario at least develop it and see where he takes it. :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2010, 07:08:29 »

Besides, you and I haven't battled big in a long time.  We're due.  So, you prepare your claws and I'll sharpen mine. :P

Yes!

Alt, you describing a succubus, and that is boring, even if they have black hairs.. I'll ask my daughter to take a screenshot from her warlock pet tomorrow.

Until then,  a fanpicture , the right woman, though with lila hairs, is nearly what you describe (take the clothes away). Come on, you can do better!

You didn't tell me, why they look like voluptuous women... isso?

WoW succubus

I don't know, how these demons  were pictured in Christian and Jewish myth though.

Beware, I need to invent an incubus otherwise, and Azhira will help me ;)

Maybe after our discussion I will be able to write ..voloptius, no.... volup.. forget it ..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Eldor Delrossa
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 21

Researcher of Brownies and Magic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2010, 09:38:45 »

I say that we should let Alt make his beasts. A lot of the Bestiary and Herbarium entries that come in are obviously highly based on Terran creatures and plants. Yet, no one says that they are 'non-santharian' or 'unoriginal' or 'not creative'. I do not believe it is fair to single out Alt's entry just because you happen to come acrosst it. I say 'let it be'.

@Alt: I have shivers and chills from reading it. The way you have described is truly excellent, and captures the creepiness and revulsion of the beast quite well.  thumbup

EDIT: Part of what I said was quite rude to say, so I have changed it to make it more civil. Probably should've thought about it before I said it, but it was meant without any malice or venom, or any negative feelings whatsoever. I hope that I am forgiven. fish
« Last Edit: 03 March 2010, 11:10:17 by Eldor Delrossa » Logged

"The trials and tribulations of Brownies over the centuries have made them wary of humans. I am humbled to be called 'Brownie Friend'."- Eldor Delrossa
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2010, 13:00:23 »

I appreciate the encouragement, Dek and Eldor. :)

Talia, I did not know succubus had wings.  Suprising I didn't, because I know what they were.  I guess in that case, they look more like succubi than harpy, but will be less sentient than succubi.  I don't want these to be a creature that hunts humans iun cities or towns etc, like a succubi.  As mentioned earlier, I want them to be more feral.  They look like humanoids, but are not humanoids.  If you and Azhira want to create a more traditional Succubi, then feel free.  I won't consider it an infringement on my work here, any more than I would if I were creating a wolf and you created a werewolf.  Two different things.

To be quite honest, my inspiaration for this did not come from Succubi or harpy, but from the movie Mimic.  My creatures are not insects, however, but there look is more along that line, with the wings forming a cloak around them.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2010, 17:48:48 »

Eldor, it is a difference , if you describe a cow, a  horse , a rosmarin bush or a mythical creature (even if you say, it is real). Of course there are many plants and animals more or less taken unaltered to Santh, for we needed that and it would have been difficult for readers to be confronted with an only entirely strange fauna or flora.

But this is not the case here. Here we have to ask - is it reasonable to have a creature here, which looks like described and acts like described. Does it make sense, that it looks like this, acts like this?

I did not single Alt's entry out, because I happened to come across it. I criticised it because it is Alt who is writing this  grin

The question remains,  does it make sense, does it fit in the environment?

- Why are they looking as they are, why does they look like  humans, though they are not humanoid, especially like the picture of a woman who might be the epitome of lust for certain human men? Is there are reason , why they look like they do, apart from Alt imagining them like this?

How can they, if they are looking like they are described now, survive the harsh weather? Why do they have no protection like fur, or feathers? A thick, frostresistent skin?  undecided

- Why are they there and not elsewhere?
Or are there similar beasts in other regions?

Dek, Eldor, don't worry, Altario needs this ;)

Alt, btw, how you describe their feeding habits is great!

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2010, 19:58:53 »

Give him the chance to finish the entry ... your concerns could well be answered by that stage.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2010, 21:19:28 »

It's better to pose these questions -before- the entry is finished. Talia presents much to think about.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Jonael Tomeskrift

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2010, 02:27:00 »

Ah heated discussion! How wonderful and enticing. No great entry without it having been propperly stirred up and shaken ^^

Rather than offer my two sans, let me first ask how things are looking on this one. Altario?

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2010, 05:58:06 »

I would love to see this creature progressed.  Sure there are questions to be answered but I already have images swirling in my head.  GREAT START!

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2010, 06:10:52 »

Will be getting back to this.  Though, I have been contomplating some changes to comply with the outcry heard here.  Unless, Seeker, you were going to create the beautiful woman image that I started with.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2010, 06:19:27 »

Will be getting back to this.  Though, I have been contomplating some changes to comply with the outcry heard here.

rolleyes

Yeah, some people are just never happy!  :P

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]