Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Toora Dooha Tree/ Northern Sarvonia  (Read 10846 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 03 March 2010, 04:38:27 »

Overview
The Toora Dooha tree is one of the most unique aspects of Sarvonia.  A tree that lives in the Mantle Woods of Northern Sarvonia, there has only been confirmed one of this species of tree.  Its exact location, however, is impossible to discern because this tree is able to move on its own accord.  It is because of these factors that not much confirmed information on the Toora Dooha can be found.  This does not deter those in search of the Toora Dooha, for the tree is sought out for its ability to speak.  Four faces on the trunk of the tree can tell a person lucky enough to find it Truth, Lies, Future and Past.  

Description
The look of the Toora Dooha tree changes, depending on the mood of the tree.  Some debate whether it is the mood of the tree, or the personality that is in control at any given time that determines its appearance.  It has appeared as both an evergreen, and a duciduous tree.  As a deciduous tree, it has appeared with a full plumage of bright leafy green, as multi-coloured autumnal leaves, and as a bare branched skeleton of a tree.  It is this ability to change its look that helps it avoid detection when it wants to hide or evade.  Those who have witnessed the event have stated that it takes only a few moments.  (see Myth/Lore)

The trunk of the Toora Dooha tree is a gnarled, rough looking piece of wood.  Into this, four faces can be seen, looking for all the world like they were carved by some master artisan.  As one stares at each face, they seem to evolve, looking young, then old; looking female then more masuline.  As the face changes, the voice that acompanies it changes to match.  It is this that keeps anyone from being able to deduce which face one is speaking to, for even though the face changes, the trait of which it adheres to stays the same.  Thus, if one was to be talking to the face of truth, that face may be male or female, young or old, and may be more than one during the conversation.

Territory
To date, the Toora Dooha tree has only been found one place in the entirety of Caelereth, and that is the Mantle Woods of the Iol Peninsula.  It is a unique specimen, meaning that there is only one Toora Dooha tree in existence.  It has never been seen outside of the Mantle Woods, though it has been spotted in many places within the woods.  From witness reports, it would seem that the very heart of the Mantle Woods seems to be the favourite area for the Toora Dooha.

Usages
There is only one use for the Toora Dooha tree, and that is answers.  The tree has four faces that each correspond to one of four personalities; Truth, Lies, Future, Past.  It will only answer questions that fall within the pervue of the personality of that particular face.  The difficulty lays with not knowing which face one speaks to when you begin questioning the tree.  With only three questions allowed, it has often happened that an adventurer will run out of questions before he has determined which face to whom he is speaking.

Reproduction
The Toora Dooha tree has no reproduction known.  There is only one of these trees in existence, and as far as anyone has been able to discern, there has only ever been one tree.  Inquisitive souls over the years have tried to get the Toora Dooha to answer questions regarding itself, but many times this has proven difficult, if not outright aggrivating.  The tree has been very cagey in the amount of information it gives out concerning itself.  Add to this the troube in discerning which face you are conversing with and the trees limitations in the number of questions it will answer at all, and scholars have been quite frustrated in learning much about the tree.

Myth/Lore/Origins
The Antislar believe that the Toora Doora tree is a prophet of Koraya, having both the good and evil elements of the god in equal portions, as well as a mixture which is exemplified by mischief.  As such, the information given by the prophet is full of chicanery and double speak so that one very often gets little relevant use from it.  This fits with the Antislar view of their diety and the world, where good and evil are in balance.

The Remusians, by contrast, look upon the Toora Dooha as a portant of evil.  Stalwart in their distrust on anything magical, they actively search out the Toora Dooha in their many voyages to loot lumber from the Antislar.  In years past, when the Mantle Woods were under Remusian domain, several exhibitions were mounted to find and destroy the tree, all without success.

"In the time before time, Koraya dreamed into existance the world, and into it she dreamed her voice.  Now this voice took the form of a tree, the Toora Dooha tree, and it took the many forms of Koraya herself.  Two faces, one that told truth, one that told lies were the faces of Koraya.  But more were needed, one of future portent, one of past deeds.

The tree stood in the woods that were the center of the world, the very eye of Koraya herself.  And into the woods came the forces of evil, the Remusians and their bretheren Ice Tribe hordes.  Using fire to destroy, killing everything that stood before them, intent on destroying the voice of Koraya.  But the god was not to be trifled with so easilly and gave the Toora Dooha tree the ability to hide itself, and the ability to move away from the impending threat.

« Last Edit: 27 March 2011, 21:37:42 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2010, 21:53:13 »

Is this a mythical tree? You write as it is something real. Is it related to the Pendrowe or Drasil? Perhaps a variety of one of them. You'll recall that the Drasil memory tree speaks through memories and emotions. I have one in the Themed'lon. This is an entirely new aspect of a Drasil...

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2010, 00:22:42 »

NOpe its not mythical, its real.  I'll read the Pendrowe and Drasil entries and see if I can tie this to them, but right now its just another one of my hospital ideas. azn

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2010, 04:06:54 »

What a fantastical creation this is, Alt! I'm sorely vexed at myself for not thinking of something like this myself.

Just imagine how the tree would drive itself insane, talking to itself constantly as it does!

Does the tree itself know which face is which? I'm not sure what difference it makes, just thought I'd ask.

Right, I'm off down to Ye Olde Hardware Shoppe for a bag of cement and a pallet of bricks!

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2010, 06:20:22 »

Its one of thoise diabetic coma hullucination thingies. buck

My thought exactly!  That is usually how the tree gets "caught" by those in the woods, when they hear it constantly arguing with itself.  And my thought was that it did not know which face was which.  If I was a better writer, I'd be able to come up with some sort of conversation that it was having with itself in order to illustrate this better.  I may search you or Seth or Shabby or Judith down for that.  You four have the best type of imagination for that kind of thing.  Something completely whimsical. :)

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2010, 07:43:25 »

Ooh! Sounds like an interesting challenge! Perhaps all 4 of us should each take the part of one of the faces and see where it takes us?

Use the force, Luke.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2010, 08:03:03 »

Splendid idea! :D

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2010, 14:48:28 »

Right, can I have the autumnal older female face then?  ;)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2010, 05:55:02 »

Surely not?

Surely the fresh-complexioned, windswept and interesting face of spring dewiness would be more apt?

As for the route we should take with the four-way argument/debate, I'm thinking we should take inspiration from the door knockers scene from Labyrinth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZiFrMUyiY

Or the Talking Doors scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgmgub8mHw

And, just because it never fails to make me almost wet myself laughing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TY8T9iTUxc&feature=related

Just try and tell me that didn't make you chuckle.

Use the force, Luke.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2010, 00:06:53 »

I almost forgot the best comedy argument ever committed to celluloid:

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

And whilst this isn't exactly an argument, I think you'll enjoy watching it, even if you've seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLprXHbn19I

« Last Edit: 06 March 2010, 08:42:34 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2010, 04:29:31 »

This is a fascinating idea, Alt! A confusion-causing oracle!

I have a question: From your description, I imagine that at any one point in time one can see four faces on the tree, and that one always sees four 'personalities': one old man, one young man, one old woman, and one young woman. However, the location in which each personality appears can vary: e.g. any of the four faces can turn into the young man. Am I right?

A minor comment (Usages section): I think it's 'purview', not pervue?

Now I turn to Tharoc's splendid idea.

Perhaps all 4 of us should each take the part of one of the faces and see where it takes us?

Well, since I'm mentioned ( :D ), along with Judy, Tharoc, and Seth, I say: I'm up for it! Maybe we could do an experimental 'Toora Dooha Mutterings' thread, in which the people who play the four faces post in turn, like in a roleplaying thread? If people are enthusiastic, I'd be happy to set up such a thread. And Alt, did you want to play the questioner?

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2010, 04:38:49 »

Oh, and have you considered using the picture # 32 by Arbaon to illustrate the entry?

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2010, 04:40:05 »

I could see this working out like those trolls from the Hobbit.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2010, 04:52:15 »

I like the convo thread idea, Shabby. :)  But, maybe someone with more whimsy should be the questioner.

I looked at that pic only just this morning, strangely enough.  I like the pic, but all the faces of the tree are visable, and this one only shows one face and from the angle should show two at minimum.  If I used the pic, it might cause confusion in the reader.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2010, 04:52:57 »

I'm still keen to go ahead with this little 'experiment in madness'. We may have to wait for dear Judy to return from her monitor-less exile, though.  :(

Use the force, Luke.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]