Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Antislar Rites and Belief thread: Share you comments  (Read 4508 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 24 April 2010, 04:16:08 »

Delving into the heart and soul of Antislar beliefs.  Comments encouraged to help flesh out the nuts and bolts of how the Antislar view life and death.

First, to rid those of you who misread the title, the Antislar build elaborate mastabas.  These large tombs are built for the mightiest kings, the bravest warriors and others who are among the elite in Antislar society.  The Necropolis of ???? sits at the south end of the Islar Island, and consists of hundreds of these mastabas, dating back a thouand years.  These mastabas may hold several members of a family, though only the most important figures usually are interned there.  Mastabas started out as simple stone slab lined graves that gradually got larger and more elaborate through the years.

Those not deemed worthy enough to warrant burial in a mastaba are instead given a funeral right and wrapped in cloth and sent adrift downstream in the Camlyn River, where they make their way to the Gulf of Oh'cant'aelwyn.  The Camlyn River is considered sacred, being the lifeblood of the land belonging to the Antislar people.  It is, however, not directly related to Koraya.

The Antislar revere the dead.  In years past, they started out with ancestor worship.  Families would come to these mastabas and visit with the dead.  They would bring offerings of food, items special to the dead person, such as armour, weapons, jewellery, even horses.  In fact, in some cases, the family of a particularly famous king/warrior would be slaughtered to join him.  This only lasted a few thousand years.  

It changed when a certain king died just as his grandson was being born.  The grandson grew up "knowing" things that were considered only known by the dead king.  He laid claim to items that were the dead kings.  To explain this, Priests deduced that the grandson must be the king himself, come back.  To explain this, the whole theory of reincarnation (probably need a new Santh name for this) came to be.  This belief states that there are only a limited number of souls in existence, and that when a body dies, they search for a new vessel to inhabit.  Babies are born without a spirit, thus are empty vessels waiting for the soul of a deceased to claim them.

Koraya is the god that all Antislar believe in.  A two faced deity that is both male and female, both good and evil.  Koraya is described by gender depending on the context used.  "Koraya be blessed.  She has delivered me a healthy baby."  or "Koraya is in a bad mood today, my friends.  He has sent a storm to assail us."  Koraya demands balance in the world.  Too much good and Koraya will awake from a dream she has been dreaming in which this world is a part of, and thus the world will blink out of existence, as though it had never been.  If too much evil is in the world, then Koraya will destroy the world only to recreate it in order to start afresh.  This has happened before, and is destined to happen again.

Antislar myth tells how Koraya destroyed the world.  How he came in the form of great wizards and laid waste to the land.  How after it was destroyed, he brought back the Antislar, and the other races, and allowed them to once again live in the world.  How that after each destruction, he plants a great tree that bears forth the fruit of life.

As the world is in a circle, as is life, then there are those who are marked by the gods, the Ilshanova, the seers.  They have the gift and the curse of seeing both the future and the past.  Said to be grotesquely deformed, these seers are highly revered and have their own special caste of Priests that attend to them.  These Priests have the ear of the ruling Antislar king and advise him in all matters.

The Priests also perform ritual sacrifice.  Runes are carved on the floor of specially consecrated temples and the sacrificial victim is tied, arms extended in a standing position.  A priest, from behind, slits the victims throat and the resulting blood spray is examined and deciphered according to where it lands on the floor.  Prisoners of war and criminals are used, but during the time they await the sacrifice, they are treated with great luxury.  Fine accommodations and clothes, the best food, and women (or men) are provided.  Everything but freedom.

« Last Edit: 25 April 2010, 00:37:58 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2010, 04:26:55 »

So, does that mean that the artisans who craft these fine erections are mastabators? And the elite mastabators would then be entitled to call themselves Master Mastabators?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2010, 04:29:09 »

Oh no you di'nt.

Seeker wonders if Altario misunderstood when he heard this was a FANTASY website.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2010, 04:32:20 »

rolleyes

I see a Septimus Smallpiece ditty in there somewhere. 

Everyone knows sex sells.  You just gotta know how to draw the crowds. :P  Now everyone will read my Antislar tribe. :D

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2010, 05:06:01 »

I see a Septimus Smallpiece ditty in there somewhere.

I saw it first!  evil

EDIT: I've just thought of a whole host of brilliant names for some members of the Guild of Master Mastabators.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2010, 05:11:20 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2010, 06:04:39 »

For those of us unfamiliar with the concept: link

Your plan might have backfired there Alt.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2010, 23:49:44 »

Maybe you should change the name slightly Alt (after following that link Valan provided ;) ), now you have our attention.  grin

You are not the first however, to lure people to an entry with "sex", Judy did it long ago, I remember it well ;)

Dwarven Sex

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2010, 23:54:54 »

Dwarven Sex... I think I owned that movie once. buck

Yeah, I see she had one reply... and it was deleted.  Pretty buttoned up crowd I think.;)

People are a little nervous to be caught skimming this thread you think?  *sigh*  Ok, I'll change the name to somethging a little less suggestive. rolleyes

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2010, 00:34:51 »

OK now for a serious comment.  I won't comment on all the spelling errors because I think you mean for us to concentrate on the ideas here.  However I do wonder about the interns on the island.  Do you have to apply for an intern postion?    grin  The correct word is interred.

When you say "it changed when a certain king died"  what do you mean?  What changed?  The use of the Mastabas or just the practice of burying them with theior stuff.  If they still use mastabas once they bleive in reincarnation, it would be interesting to understand how they viewed them.  Because once they began to beleive in reincarnation the purpose of using the mastabas would also need to change. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2010, 00:50:53 »

Hmmm... I usually run spellchecker before I post... must have forgot.  I will change interned to interred. buck

I wasn't clear, but I meant the tradition of burying stuff with the person.  I think you are correct, that the reason for Mastabas would need to change.  Perhaps these tombs are now used for a./ a way to honour the deceased, which is still unchanged from before, and b./ as a place where the affluent can focus their spirits to finding an appropriate vessel to inhabit.  We create an elaborate funeral rite; prayers, practices etc, that help help the soul find a particular vessel by appealing to Koraya's better nature.

Sound reasonable?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2010, 03:17:07 »

Alt, it was not deleted, well, at least not with purpose. It was victim to the big ezboard hack which occured then and which had meant a lot of trouble. A good part of Thalambath's Heart vanished with it, which I miss till today.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2010, 11:20:04 »

This puts me in the mood to work on my scattered mess of Kaaer beliefs entry languishing somewhere...

I like this. The sacrifices are intriguing and gives the tribe a Mayan feel. Egyptian type beliefs are also inspiring. So their culture really does revolve around the dead and afterlife.

The soul part is good. I am reminded of my Kaaer who believe that a baby is born "empty" and receives their inner spirit at a young age. They are taught to harness this spirit's potential power and perform magic. The belief is that Durgho gives each of his people his own spirit and grants the faithful gifts of power and wisdom. When a Kaaer dies, their spirit is transferred into a funerary stone and given to the Earth Brother to dwell. They've even developed a sort of "necromancy" where a powerful shamut can summon the dead from the stone and speak to it.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2010, 12:23:40 »

The Kaar?  Then you could have the Antislar give them this custom then, in a trade off for not giving them Koraya.  Maybe?

Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2010, 05:04:57 »

Moving this to the Cosmo boards. Alt, do you ever make threads in the right places?  heart

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2010, 05:11:46 »

It's a spitball thread about a Northern subject.  And no, I don't.  Ask Drasil. :P

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]