Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tri-Bones- Antislar Game  (Read 4902 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« on: 16 June 2010, 01:05:38 »

Game Name

This simple, yet engaging game of the Antislar, is named Tri-bones because of the simple playing pieces used to play it.  Small bone chips, about the size of a human palm, flat and carved into a triangle, are used.  It is a game that can be played by children and adults alike and provides entertainment while developing strategic thinking.

History

Tri-bones has been an Antislar distraction for hundreds of years.  It is unknown who invented the game, though it is thought sailors first popularized the game in the holds of ships between their hours on duty.  From there, the Antislar adopted the game as a national pastime.  Eventually, the game spread to the south, becoming popular in the ports of Naurooth and Milkengrad, where sailors brought the game.  From there, it continues to spread.

Equipment
The only pieces required to play tri-bones are a set of bones carved into triangle shaped flat chips of bone, though wooden sets are found as well as even a few stone sets and even more exotic material.   Most of these sets are carved by the person who owns the set itself, as there is no Tri-bones industry.  It is said that King Veddin has a set of tri-bones made from solid gold pieces..  There are no standard sets, and some sets have as few as twenty pieces, while others may have a hundred or more.  In Santharia, especially in Voldar, clay tri-bones are used.  These are specialized sets, that are made with brightly covered backs.  They can either be traditional, with the three symbol face, or be faceless pieces.  (see Myth/Lore)

Each of the tri-bone pieces is a flat, triangular piece.  One side is plain, while the other side, called the Face has three symbols carved into it.  On each of the face's three straight edges, there is carved a small symbol.  There are animal symbols, from Tarandus Deer, Eanian Wargs, Paxen, Wison, Caracal and more.  There are plant symbols, Azigoor tree, Alicott bushes, Azigoor fruit, Altho grass, Hrugchuk flowers and many more.  There are also a fewer number of soldier figures, Antislar, Orc, Elf and Remusian.  The Remusian piece is also called by an assortment of derogatory terms; among them, The Demon, The Ass, and far worse.  There must be at least one Remusian piece in each set, though there can be more.  Lastly, there is the Koraya piece, which has a two faced profile on one of its sides.  There can only be one Koraya piece.  Larger sets usually have a greater variety of symbols, while smaller sets have only a few different symbols.

Optional pieces that are sometimes used, especially in the case of larger sets, are scoring beads.  These are simply small stones used for keeping score.  They can range from simple small stones to highly polished fancy gems.  There must be at least one scoring bead for each tri-bone, and either ten extra for the Koraya piece, or a stone that differs in size or colour to be associated with the Koraya piece.

Game Setup

Game setup is very simple.  The tri-bones are placed in a leather bag and mixed up.  One also needs a flat surface to play.  The larger the number of tri-bones in the set, the larger the flat surface needed.  Most sets need at least a ped by ped square surface.

Rules

Tri-bones is a simple game.  It is usually played by two or three people, though more may play.  The more people playing means that a larger set of tri-bones is needed and the larger the playing area.

Beginning the Game

First, each person in turn takes one piece at randon out of the bag until someone finds either the Koraya piece or a Remusian piece.  This person is now known as the "King".  He plays first and chooses his pieces first.  The person to his right, in cases where three or more players are participating, is the next to play, and so on.  

All pieces are returned to the bag, which is shaken again to mix up the pieces.  The "King" then reaches in the bag and pulls out one piece, keeping the face side hidden from the others and placing it face side down before him.  He may see what it is.  The player to his right picks a tri-bone next, and so forth until each player has five pieces in front of him, all face down so no one knows what the other has.

Rules of Play

The "King" then reaches into the bag pulling forth one piece and putting it in the center of the flat surface, face side up.  He then may place any of his five pieces next to the center tri-bone as long as he has a side that matches one of the sides of the center piece.  He can then play again, and lay as many pieces down as he can match until he is either out of his five pieces, or has no more matching sides.  Then he reaches into the bag and pulls forth as many pieces as needed to once more have five pieces in front of him.  The person to his right may now play, matching his pieces to any of the pieces in play, and so on.  For every tri-bone played, the player gets one scoring bead, or it is remembered if scoring beads are not used.  Thus, larger sets almost always have scoring beads accompanying them.

The two special pieces in the set, the Koraya piece and the one or more Remusian pieces have special abilities.  The Koraya piece has the one two-sided profile symbol which is a "wild" symbol, meaning that any other piece can be played to that particular side, so most players play the wild side, leaving the two other symbols for others to play, or else play on the Koraya symbol with their next piece in order to not give the next player a free turn.  With the Remusian pieces, the side with the Remusian symbol is a "dead" symbol, meaning that no other piece, including other Remusian pieces can be played on it.  This blocks the following players from using their pieces on that Remusian piece.  So, strategic usage of both the Koraya and Remusian pieces can greatly affect the outcome of the games.

Ending the Game

The game ends when someone has used all five of his pieces, and there are no more pieces left in the bag to replace them.  At this point, the scoring beads are counted and the one with the most beads wins.  As well, if the King pulls out the Koraya piece as the center first tri-bone, he immediately wins the game.  

Special Rules and Cheating

Many people either inspect the Koraya piece to insure it has no obvious flaws on it that would give the "King" a way to tell if it was that piece, as cases of cheating have been known to happen, especially if money is put on the game, as either a wager on the winner, or a wager per point.  To get around this, the "King", and in fact every player, is usually just expected to reach in and pull forth a piece quickly.  Keeping one's hand in the bag more than a couple of blinks can lead to accusations of "Fingering Koraya".  There have been instances of people being killed over cases of cheating, but more prevalent is the removal of the cheaters offending digits so that "he may finger Koraya no more."  Those with missing digits, even if unrelated to the game, might have a certain number of the population continually look upon them with distrust, assuming he had "fingered Koraya".

Scoring

When it comes to counting, there are a few special rules.  The person who is able to play the Koraya piece during the course of the game gets the special counting bead, and this bead is worth ten regular beads, thus the Koraya piece scores ten points.  The Remusian piece, or pieces, count two different ways.  If one is played, instead of receiving a scoring bead, the player loses five scoring beads.  He is prohibited from playing a Remusian piece until he has enough scoring beads to cover the loss.  What is worse, if the game comes to an end, and he has a Remusian piece unplayed before him, he loses ten scoring beads, which he must pay to the person who ended the game.  The person who ends the game gets to take five scoring beads from every other person playing.

Myth/Lore  

A hobby sometimes played by children, but sometimes adults too, is to set up their tri-bones on edge, one next to each other, then to push the first one over and to watch the rest fall in sequence.  It can be as simple as a straight line of tri-bones, or can be elaborate design.  

It is from this that the expression "fall like tri-bones" came from.  During the Fifth Orcish War, General Lugallu once exclaimed, during a battle where Remusian archers had devastated his front lines, "Can we not stop those damnedable archers?  They are felling my men like tri-bones."  Since then, the expression has come to describe any circumstance where multiple items or men are felled.

In the city of Voldar in Vardynn province, there is a contest held each spring where contestants each set up elaborate layouts of tri-bones.  Then, as judges watch and score, the lead tri-bone is knocked over, and the design is revealed as the tri-bones fall in order.  The most elaborate design wins.  The most recent winner was a 12 ped long recreation of the Voldar coat of arms, with the tri-bones painted on their back so that when they fell, the coat of arms was revealed in full and proper colour.  Many of these competitors use non traditional clay tri-bones that are brightly painted and fired to produce a ceramic tri-bone.  These stylized tri-bones do not have the symbols on them, thus are not true playing pieces, but only share the shape.  These can run a lot of money to purchase.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2010, 04:13:46 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2010, 01:56:22 »

Very nice, Altario. Wish I'd thought of this...It's like triangular dominoes, isn't it?

But, one thing...Cutting people's fingers off for cheating? A bit extrem, maybe? After all, it is only a game. Or would this only be in  high-stakes games? Alternatively, maybe there could be slight religious connotations that make it truely dishonourable to "finger Koraya" - otherwise I cannot really understand the social stigma, I'm afraid.

But a very nice and well-written game.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2010, 02:03:16 »

A Remusian who does not understand the harshness of northern peoples?  For shame.  Might want to double check that family line.

We northerners aren't the siss... uhm... civilized people of the south. 

As for relevance, Westerns are full of people getting shot for cheating at cards.  I'm sure with a brief google search I could find many examples of seemingly outrageous examples of harsh punishments for cheating at games.  This ain't the 21st century.

And yes, like dominoes.  I was writing something  this morning that I wanted to use the term "fall over like dominoes" but a quick search on the Dev Forum resulted in no domino or domino based game created, so in order to use that saying, I needed to create the dominoes.  Funny thing is, now that I spent the two hours creating the game, I can't remember what I needed it for. buck

Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2010, 03:15:50 »

Keep in mind the punishment for dealing in a fake Odomon is to have all the bones in one hand crushed as well Ath.

Alt: What about ceramics? Clay tiles?
I'll see to giving this a good looking at later.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2010, 03:20:46 »

Hmmm.. yes, I suppose clay would work... Though, would clay be a good travelling material?  Jumpled about in the bag all the time might make it too delicate a material.  But, I think I'll add clay as maybe a Santharian addition, especially for the people who create the designs for Felling Tri-bones.  Would be great to paint them and fire them.  ceramics.

Thanks, Valan.

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2010, 03:53:41 »

Integrated your idea, Valan. :)

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2010, 06:29:07 »

A Remusian who does not understand the harshness of northern peoples?  For shame.  Might want to double check that family line.

Remember, it passes through a drunkard and a cripple...

Anyway, I wasn't disputing the fact that people would do such a thing (at least not when I switched back from Manthrian to Ice Tribe thinking) but rather that tha social stigma seemed a bit excessive.

Oh, and I know the punishment for a fake Odomon, Valan, I've not been that long gone! But there is a difference. The Odomon has a history, it is woven in with the Forsaken Blade and Remusian pride, not to mention that a fake Odomon is virtually sabotage. This is just a game, although the Ice Tribes may want to get a bit rough.

Still, I stand by what I said about the nice entry.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2010, 06:43:25 »

Personally I love this, Alt.

Maybe we should introduce the game to Sordoc so that he can be encouraged to cheat at it ...

He is right handed, by the way.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2010, 06:53:45 »

I think it's just the people. Harsh place, harsh laws. And cheating is one of those things that you'd want to stamp out. I'm not an expert, but Remusians don't seem to be a "look out for number one" sort of folk. You get a fellow start cheating you make sure he doesn't keep thinking like that, yeah? So slicing off a finger is more in the nature of a preventative measure, on account of how no one wants to lose a finger over a game.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2010, 09:19:44 »

Or perhaps instead of slicing off the whole finger, maybe take it off at the first knuckle.  Just a thought.

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2010, 10:03:22 »

Hmmm....I think that you people have read too much into the cutting off the finger.  I have not stated that it occurs each and every time, but that there are instances when violence can happen.  And only if there is a wager placed on the game.  Kinda like when Vegas was run by the mob.  Two kids playing the game will not end with one dead.  Two friends enjoying a relaxing game will not result in someone going home with nine digits.  This is something that only occurs to betting people on occassion, if someone is caught cheating.  But with that kind of consequence, how many people are going to try and cheat?
« Last Edit: 16 June 2010, 10:16:01 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2010, 11:58:34 »

If/when this can be blarrowed, I have already converted this Arti. :)  Will send it to you when the time comes.

Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2010, 16:16:16 »

They can either be traditional, with the three stymbol face,
symbol ?

This is a very nice simple game.  I bet it can be addicting.  grin  Very well done.

a few questions:

1) What kind of bones could be used to make flat palm-sized pieces?  That would be a rather big bone (not really a bone chip I guess).

2) The Koraya piece
Lastly, there is the Koraya piece, which has a two faced profile on one of its sides.  There can only be one Koraya piece.
What do you mean by two faced profile? Just a picture of the two-faced being?  Then how is it played,? The consequences of playing it are explained well, just not HOW it is played. 

3) I am assuming the Remusian piece is played like any normal piece, however if there is only one you just can't match that one side....correct?

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2010, 04:14:37 »

Hey Seeker, I appreciate the comments. :D

Changed Symbol, thanks.

1) They have many large animals to choose from; Pack-ox, Wison, Thunderfoot, Carteloreen, horses, Tarandus Deer.  A scapula or pelvic bone would provide a large enough piece of bone to carve, I think.  Only needs 3 or 4 inch base on it.  You don't agree?

2) Have added a paragraph on the Koraya and Remusian pieces and strategy used in playing them.  I should have been more clear on that.  Thank you.:)

Yes, I mean a Two-faced profile, kinda like the Roman god Janus.  Koraya is a god who is both male (coor) and female (ava).

3) Included in the added paragraph.

Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2010, 05:29:27 »

Ah yes, much more clear. 

Regarding the bones, what you described makes sense.  Those are pretty large animals.  Very good then.

Valan or I will blarrow this in the next couple days if no further comments trickle in.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]