Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfx gfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register    gfx gfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Race that lives in the North?  (Read 1272 times)
Arsha Windblade

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 29 March 2012, 11:08:22 »

I have had this idea in my head for a while, so I thought I might lay it down. I have been writing little stories here and there and one of them contained a race called the Mamtokk, which lived in the Icy North of the world. Basically they were Mammoths on two sturdy feet, with hands like a human, except more rough and meatier. Of course they have the traditional trunk and tusks, with a thick layer of fat and dense mattings of fur. They had a companion with them called the Snowulf, which were basically larger versions of wolves. I can upload the very small amount of writing I did on them, just so you can see if what I am saying makes any sense at all.

Thank you and I hope I get some feedback.

Yours Truly

Arsha Windblade
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2012, 15:46:15 »

Arsha, I'd like to make sure you've done your basic reading before I beat you over the head with the rulebook.
First off we have this:

Intro to developing
This covers the basics of the world and how to develop in it.

You'll notice it mentions that new races and tribes require special permission. That's also listed under the Races/Tribes template:

HOW TO DESIGN NEW RACES
  General new races and tribes development stop currently, guys! Let's concentrate on what we have instead of developing the 1467th race or tribe. Thanx for understanding, but this is a necessary measure we have to take. Quality beats quantity. Let's go for more depth!

So, the Mamtokk aren't exactly an option.

If you want to develop something, hit the books. Find an area you'd like to develop it and read, read, read, read. For instance, one of the wargs likely resembles your Snowulf more than superficially.

It's a quick lesson to learn: There's very few truly original ideas in a project this old. The way to give an idea life is to weave it into the word. Otherwise it tends to stick out like a sore thumb.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2012, 21:40:43 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 537

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2012, 21:56:45 »

Yep, what Valan said!

You have to remember, Arsha, that every new developer who comes around might have the idea to have his/her own island and his/her own race or tribe in the middle of nowhere. Eventually this leads to a completely disjointed world. That's why we put the embedding of new entries in already existing stuff first, because this holds the Dream together, as parts are connected that way. Ideally we always recommend to start with something smaller, which fits to a culture or a region in our world, and that developers contribute in the long term with a focus on a certain region or tribe/race, because they then become experts in these topics and can help to flesh things out.

Races and tribes in particular are one of the most complex things to do, because if done properly all the various section of development come together there (places, religion, resources, weapons used, beasts they domesticate, plants they cultivate, and so on...) Therefore it needs some time to get there in order to tackle such tasks. There's of course always the possibility to write about a fictional kind of people, who for the one or the other reason are parts of stories and myths of certain tribes or races. In that case they should be embedded in the mythology of these people. At any rate it is important to embed new ideas - this eventually proves the most rewarding for everyone. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Arsha Windblade

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2012, 04:25:37 »

Oh my bad. I just got so excited that I wanted to see about the Mamtokk becoming alive, but I can wait and bide my time. They aren't going anywhere. I was just having a general perusal of the site and wondered if we had any mammoths or any elephants for that matter?

Also, I shall head to the bestiary and see how I can contribute. Away with me!
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 141

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2012, 04:43:28 »

Hello, Arsha.

Before getting disappointed at the response to this, look at it as less of a No, and more of a Not Right Now.  

If you go at this with a positive attitude, using fresh ideas and integrating them into the world as we know it, getting to know a lot about the different areas of Santharia and perhaps picking an area to specialize in (geographically or topic wise, like Bestiary) you will be surprised how much more leash you get in a few short years (and trust me time simply flashes by here with all the wonderful friends you'll make and the interesting ideas you and others will have).

If the North is where you would like to play, then I'm here to help.  I take the far Northeastern areas called the Icelands and Iol Peninsula.  Azhira, who is missed here at the moment as she has not had the luxury of time, creates further west, while Dek has staked out a claim slightly south of us.  We are the ones working up North right now, so if you want to get your feet wet, and consequently cold, then we are here to help you as much as you need.

Of course, everyone here is extremely helpful and willing to lend a hand in anything you might want to try your luck at.  My mantra is research, research and then a bit more research.  Read what those who have come before you created and see where there are holes, or where a new idea of yours will integrate with what is here.  Many entries that are on sight have references to animals, plants or places that have not been expanded on and written into their own entries, and that is an excellent way to get your feet wet.

To the left, there are Masterplan/Projects that spell out where certain areas need help in.  There are examples of unentried items that have been referenced and are in need of expanding.  An ideal way to get to know the land.

Good luck, and Welcome. :)
« Last Edit: 30 March 2012, 05:00:42 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Arsha Windblade

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2012, 04:58:52 »

Thanks Altario, I might actually have a look at the Icelands Masterplan and see how I can contribute. Thanks for the heads up guys, I always act quickly before I think, so its nice to know that people are here to leash me in.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2012, 05:22:26 »

Hi and Welcome to the Dream, Arsha, it is always good to see new faces in these parts,

There are some larger beasties similar to elephants/mammoths developed in Caelereth. There are the Thunderfoot/Thunderfeet in Northern Sarvonia and I believe a mammoth like version of them are in another northernish continent. Then there are the the Paxen and the Wisen which are slightly smaller ... but I'm sure there are plenty of other such beasts you could develop in Northern Sarvonia if you would like to do so.

If you are interested in large beasties, keep an eye out for Sordoc the (Un)Great ... or he'll do poetry at you ... his 2500+ verse extolling the multitude of virtues of the Paxen is beyond belief. If you should hear him (and believe me you will hear him before you see him), my suggestion is run, and never tell him you've seen me. He is a pest and nuisance. I can't use any more descriptive words than that to describe him incase children read this.

As Altario says ... research ... use the compendium, look through the different boards here at what needs to be developed, read up on what's already around and see what you can see that catches your interest. If there is something you can expand on, expand on it (after asking about doing it so that it isn't something being worked on by someone else). If there are holes you can fill, fill them, once again making sure that they aren't being filled by someone else. Also, don't be afraid to come up with your own ideas, we love new ideas! Just check with us first to ensure that it fits in with what we have, and hasn't been done already, or is waiting to be developed or something.  Don't be afraid to ask questions ... lots and lots of questions, we encourage it.  We really don't bite ... unless you want us to bite, of course. :D

So yes, welcome, and you are more than welcome to visit me in my little hut among the Arthyron on the banks of Eight Winds Bay, where I'm researching the Monster Trollog, Lesser Trollog and the Hypalynx.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Arsha Windblade

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2012, 05:30:24 »

Thanks Dek. At this point in time, I am looking up the Remusian Tribes information and clicking on every link that is there. I must say there is a tonne of information to go through, and my entire browser is filled with links. Looks like I am going to be here for a few good hours, just so I can go through all of this wonderful information.

I might hop around the place, sprinkling a few creatures here and there. Which is again, going to take alot of reading to make sure it fits in with the lore of the world. So much to read, so little time to consume it all in one sitting!
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 141

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2012, 05:38:06 »

A word.  The Remusian entry is a bit of an aberration in its length and not all entries need to be that long.  Beware that the Remusian Man entry broke me as a human being and I haven't been the same since.  I was described as a protege before that, and since then I'm creatively crippled.  I shuffle along getting only a few entries done since then.  Sometimes I still wake up in a sweat and screaming. rolleyes

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2012, 06:57:45 »

and I used the Remusian men entry as a guide in my entry on 8 Winds Bay ... so really blame Altario or Canada ... one of the two ... or why not both? And I am now even more insane than I was before working on 8 Winds Bay.  crazy
« Last Edit: 30 March 2012, 07:00:25 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 537

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2012, 09:43:21 »

*imagines Alt lying on his couch without movement, marked for life, silently whispering to himself*

"The horror... the horror..."  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2012, 14:39:58 »

Sits at Altarios side and wipes the sweat from is forehead, then gives him some herbal infusion to drink.
*murmurs*
"It will all be well again, I'll invent some plantwhich will, when eaten restore all creativity, don't worry. It just will take some time...!"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Today at 00:49:07]

[Yesterday at 07:24:16]

[23 November 2015, 22:26:14]

[23 November 2015, 22:21:42]

[23 November 2015, 21:29:43]

[22 November 2015, 12:09:16]

[18 November 2015, 15:59:16]

[17 November 2015, 18:49:56]

[16 November 2015, 01:27:56]

[15 November 2015, 17:22:57]

[15 November 2015, 17:11:33]

by Mina
[13 November 2015, 11:05:38]

[12 November 2015, 09:28:05]

[11 November 2015, 22:06:54]

[07 November 2015, 01:46:47]

[07 November 2015, 00:42:29]

[06 November 2015, 21:52:05]

[31 October 2015, 04:20:39]

[31 October 2015, 02:18:23]

[21 May 2015, 05:54:01]
Members
Total Members: 1013
Latest: Anyone
Stats
Total Posts: 144451
Total Topics: 11006
Online Today: 21
Online Ever: 226
(05 November 2012, 23:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 12
Total: 13

Last 10 Shouts:
19 November 2015, 19:43:04
Okay, thanks. Perhaps I can sort it all out for my masterwork later.
19 November 2015, 12:04:14
Placeholder, undeveloped. A temporary affair at any rate.
18 November 2015, 22:39:43
That's what I thought, but what about, "610 - Founding of Kingdom Z, coronation of King A, supported by the 4 "archbishops"."
18 November 2015, 22:10:41
Kingdoms were before Santhros, later there were provinces. A rough outline of Santharian history after Santhros can be found here BTW.
18 November 2015, 18:20:45
Artimidor, most of my confusion comes from Santharian history between 547 a.S and 1438. I thought Santharia was unified since Santhros, but then how were there other kingdoms?
18 November 2015, 11:39:21
What you mean with "Kingdom X", Seagazer? Any specific question?
18 November 2015, 08:03:46
Honest to Qu'prur, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Cyhalloi's orcs...

*flails, unleashing flurries of butterflies*
17 November 2015, 23:33:46
The more Santharian history I read, the more confused I get. Could someone who understands what Kingdom X is explain it to me?
17 November 2015, 01:09:57
Come ye wretched of the Disk to Vardýnn where a great enterprise is underway! Sign up on the thread in the Team Projects forum.
11 November 2015, 22:42:23
Oh no!
*Hides under his swivelstool*