Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Rain Forest of Nybelmar Project  (Read 8777 times)
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2005, 07:52:00 »

I really wasn't thinking when I typed my last entry last night. I redid it and added on the the Apagan Peninsula. Here they are.

Southwest Peninsula-
Beginning at the foothills of the mountains the rain forest slowly thickens. Eventually turning into a dense jungle that you can easily get lost in. In such a jungle the undergrowth thrives. The land is rugged and sloped down toward the sea. The water moves fast along the streams and rivers. Waterfalls dot the jungle adding to its beauty. As you approach the ocean the land begins to level out, making ponds and waterways dominate the environment. The southeastern split of the peninsula is very flat. Forming a vast swampland, with alternating patches of grasses and of trees. Dangerous and confusing is the swamp, with few ways through. After the swamps and rain forests, is the sea, the vast open expanse of water.

Apagan Peninsula-
The land on which this rain forest sits is virtually flat. Water saturates the jungle, breading many different bugs, some of which are very dangerous. Monsters dwell in ponds and lakes, always there, waiting for a weary traveler. Tall trees, with vines and moss draped over them, loom over the waterways making the waterways almost impassable. But up above the waterways and swamp thrive bright colorful birds and big eyed creatures of the night. Many travelers and explorers have been lost to this waterlogged jungle.

PS I will do one on the jungles of the Kaleman Islands, but right now I dont have time.

Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2005, 08:47:00 »

:x  :: frowns ::

I'm sorry, but could you please refrain from elaborating on the southwestern jungles until I return home (this Monday)? Some of the stuff you've posted contradicts my initial plans for the peninsula - and unless I point them out to you one by one and draft the main geographical concept it will be impossible to keep consistency. Thank you in advance!

Now, as to some of the issues i can readily hi-lit now:

Please re-read the Sah city entry. Beginning at the foothills of the mountains the rainforests do NOT thicken. Until about half the southern peninsula (I will draw these lines out for you next week) the tropical climate does not start: The mountains are too high, there are strong currents at the skirts and the three main rivers have very cold waters.

Quote:
In such a jungle the undergrowth thrives. The land is rugged and sloped down toward the sea

Sorry, most of the peninsula is flat. There are at most genly rolling, small hills aside from the great mountain ranges.

Also, be careful to not make the jungle too "thick". There are several massive civilizations dwelling in those jungles, it would be almost impossible to build all those great cities (possibly the greatests in Nybelmar) there - especially if you're keen on protecting the flora. The trick here is that the trees found in this half of the continent are HUGE. COLLOSSAL. Are in fact so tall and interlocked that they block most of the severe sunlight, which is precisely why the Krean were described as having a light/medium skin rather than a sunburnt/olive complexion.

Note: I would suggest (although it IS a lot of work) reading through all my places entries (and not only the seemingly relevant sections). I often inter-reference in my entries; elaborating on how/why the weather is in the clothing section, customs etc.

* I like your water channels idea, but I cannot allow any swamps (at least not on the gigantic scale you mentioned) on the peninsula, much less the southeastern flat-lands. That is meant to be the heart of the Empire (all the grand architecture) and the only terrain truly suitable for classical farming beside the Zhunite plains.

Note: The Empire is not the Krean or the Twin Kingdom. There are lots of civilizations I have not even begun to describe in that area. I promise to go over my plans with you in detail in August. I know all this is a bit frustrating for you, but almost all of the western continent concept I have in handwritten drafts or in my mind. There aren't any entries elaborating on the other tribes on the site, so I will have to guide you through the main skeleton of the "western concept" myself :)

One 'vision' you should always keep in mind when planning these forests is that the mid- northernmost areas are very 'cultivated'/ 'domesticized'. Although geographically nature might have meant to give a hell of a time to the inhabitants, the Krean have managed to 'tame' their forest with their magic and intelligence in time. So even if there were lots of waterways, you can expect most of them to be "guided" or built over.

Also, if you MUST have swamplands, try the northwestern most end of the peninsula: the flat area beneath the river flowing down from Orcal and above the mountain range. That should be a geographical obstacle to prevent the orcs from entering the southern lands.  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2005, 12:55:00 »

Im sorry. I thought that this area had not been worked and was totally open. I will gladly wait until you get back. Im sorry but as I try to read your entries I become quite confused. Because I cannot locate the places you are talking about. There seems to be no references to it on the map. So I will just wait.
But what of the Anpagan Peninsula and the Kaleman Islands are they develpoed or already have someone working on them? Is there any existing entries about them?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2005, 13:20:00 »

Lucius, just use the searchfunktion! The south and southeast of Nybelmar are the best developed on Nybelmar. It is really necessary, that you read,read, read first, before planning something. I know, this is frustrating, if you want to write, and I can see, how you want to write. Wait for Coren, ask Smith and let you tell an entry you can start with, maybe this gigantic trees Coren has in mind? But ask im first!
and then again - read, read, read. Once you are half a year here and when you are an expert as well for Nybelmar, it gets easier.Then the real fun starts, believe me!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2005, 13:39:00 »

OK. So I will refocus by stopping writing and starting to read. I have already started to read and as I can see can answer my own questions. But I would very much appricate it if you took another look at my two (work in progress) entries that are posted. I will do a few thing here and there until I really get a feel for this. Sound good?

Victhorin
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2005, 03:04:00 »

Wow, do I have a lot to catch up on!

Lucius, it's great to see a new face here at Nybelmar. (Or am I the new face after such a long absence?)

Judging from what you've posted your English is WAY better than mine, so I can't help you there. And concerning the Peninsula: I won’t be of any help there either.

But, (yes, there is a "but") if you need help with anything with dwarves, then I'm your man. At least the dwarves here on Nybelmar.

*sighs*

Oh, it’s good to be back.

Impatient? Me? Who said that? Come on, tell me! We haven't got all day!

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 July 2005, 03:36:00 »

I'm back! Fire away Lucius! What would you request my assistance on?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 27 July 2005, 06:50:00 »

:wave s  Hello Coren! Nice to have you fully back!

Hope you have a lot of time in the next weeks, for you will need it with Lucius! ;)  Don't think I saw another newbie who kept me so busy answering questions, not even Firewyre with her Shendar related entries !

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 July 2005, 08:13:00 »

Hey Lucius! Check out these sites please:

www.enchantedlearning.com...ainforest/

www.srl.caltech.edu/perso.../what.html

Some truly interesting stuff is presented there, along with many of our misconceptions about jungles. I shall include some below:

Quote:
Strata of the Rainforest
Different animals and plants live in different parts of the rainforest. Scientists divide the rainforest into strata (zones) based on the living environment. Starting at the top, the strata are:

EMERGENTS: Giant trees that are much higher than the average canopy height. It houses many birds and insects.
CANOPY: The upper parts of the trees. This leafy environment is full of life in a tropical rainforest and includes: insects, birds, reptiles, mammals, and more.
UNDERSTORY: A dark, cool environment under the leaves but over the ground.
FOREST FLOOR: Teeming with animal life, especially insects. The largest animals in the rainforest generally live here.
(Enchanted Learning)

More information is available on the site. This might be very useful when making all those animal charts. Trying to balance a working species system.

Quote:
Insects are the most numerous animals in rainforests. Tropical rainforests have a greater diversity of plants and animals than temperate rainforests or any other biome.

In temperate rainforests, most of the animals are ground dwellers and there are fewer animals living in the forest canopy.

Quote:
Rainfall
It is almost always raining in a rainforest. Rainforests get over 80 inches (2 m) of rain each year. This is about 1 1/2 inches (3.8 cm) of rain each week.

The rain is more evenly distributed throughout the year in a tropical rainforest (even though there is a little seasonality). In a temperate rainforest, there are wet and dry seasons. During the "dry" season, coastal fog supplies abundant moisture to the forest.

Nothing unexpected I guess; though the fog part was rather curious.

Quote:
Temperature
The temperature in a rainforest never freezes and never gets very hot. The range of temperature in a tropical rainforest is usually between 75° F and 80° F (24-27° C). Temperate rainforests rarely freeze or get over 80° F (27° C).

ATTENTION! This quite contradicts the average veiw of a rainforest (especially if tropical) being swelteringly hot! Its only the humidity that's tiring. I must admit I had no idea that the temperature was so low (24-27 C)!

Quote:
The Soil in a Rainforest
The soil of a tropical rainforest is only about 3-4 inches (7.8-10 cm) thick and is ancient. Thick clay lies underneath the soil. Once damaged, the soil of a tropical rainforest takes many years to recover.

Temperate rainforests have soil that is richer in nutrients, relatively young and less prone to damage

Quite enlightening again. Hmm, I wonder 1) how this would affect herbarium entries... 2) Maybe the Lillivear devised a way to protect their soil? I can see many misc. entries sprouting... :)  

Quote:
South America -
insects (morpho butterfly, Julia butterfly, Monarch butterfly, and millions of other insects)
mammals (jaguar, ocelot, didelphid opossums, sloth, howler monkey, spider monkey, capybara, many bats, marmosets, procyonids, peccaries)
birds (quetzal, macaw, tinamous, curassows, hoatzins, hummingbirds, eagles, ovenbirds, antbirds, flycatchers, puffbirds, toucans, jacamars, tanagers, tapirs, troupials, honeycreepers, cardinal grosbeaks, xenops)
reptiles (anaconda, caiman, iguanas, lizards, microteiid lizards, boas, and coral snakes), amphibians (poison arrow frog, etc.)
fish (electric eel, piranha), and millions of other animals.

Australia -
mammals (tree kangaroo, rat kangaroo, yellow-footed Antechinus, Giant White-tailed Uromys, opossums, bandicoot, echidna, duck-billed platypus, sugar glider, red legged pademelon)
birds (cassowary, brolga, emerald dove, orange-footed scrubfowl, Australian brush-turkey, sarus crane, gray goshawk, wompoo fruit dove, topknot pigeon, Australian king parrot, laughing kookaburra, lesser sooty owl, fernwren, barred cuckoo-shrike, golden whistler, etc.)
reptiles (frilled lizard, carpet python, Green Tree Snake, Spotted Tree Monitor, Eastern Water Dragon, Boyd's Forest Dragon, Northern Leaf Tailed Gecko)
insects (Ulysses butterfly, Zodiac Moth, Union Jack butterfly, Regent skipper, Birdwing Butterfly)
amphibians (Giant Tree frog, Striped marsh frog, Northern Barred frog, Dainty Green Tree frog), and millions of other animals.

Southeast Asia -
mammals (tarsiers, orangutans, Siamangs, gibbons, colobine monkeys, tigers, tree shrews, binturong, moonrats, most flying foxes, colugos, bamboo rats, Oriental dormice)
birds (tree swifts, leafbirds, fairy bluebirds, fantails, whistlers, flowerpeckers, wood swallows)
insects (Queen Alexandra's Birdwing butterfly, Goliath Birdwing butterfly, Saturn Butterfly), and millions of other animals.

West Africa -
mammals (antelopes, bonobo, chimpanzee, gorilla, Mandrill, scaly-tailed squirrels, otter shrews, duikers, okapi, hippopotamus, Cercopithecus monkeys, bushbabies, pygmy hippo, duiker)
birds (Congo peafowl, African Gray Parrot) and millions of other animals.

Perhaps this may be of some help for creating an overview of the fauna.

PS @ Talia: Thank you, I've missed you all! I don't mind his inquisitive nature, I ask too many questions myself ;)  

Oh, btw: As noone seems to notice my inquiry at the Member's Moot, do we have the tutorial system in effect?

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 7/26/05 16:16

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 July 2005, 08:19:00 »

Perhaps we could splýt the fauna/flora between us. Each of us would do research and contribute to the main scheme but we could have our specialities. I could gladly take butterflies for instance :D

Let's start with making a list of the main animal and flora species/kinds/families we need to have. Then people could be assigned to santharinize/research/create creatures.

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 July 2005, 08:37:00 »

FLORA

Bromeliads
Bromeliads are related to the pineapple family. Their thick, waxy leaves form a bowl shape in the centre for catching rainwater. Some bromeliads can hold several gallons of water and are miniature ecosystems in themselves providing homes for several creatures including frogs and their tadpoles, salamanders, snails, beetles and mosquito larvae. Those that die decompose and furnish the plant with nutrients. One bromeliad was found to contain several small beetles, crane flies, earwigs, a frog, a cockroach, spiders, fly larvae, a millipede, a scorpion, woodlice and an earthworm!

Epiphytes
Epiphytes, or air plants, grow everywhere but can be found mainly on the branches, trunks, and even the leaves of trees. The name 'epiphyte' comes from the Greek word 'epi' meaning 'upon' and 'phyton' meaning 'plant'.

Different types of epiphytes may grow on the same tree, including orchids, cacti, bromeliads, aroids, lichens, mosses and ferns. They begin their life in the canopy from seeds or spores transported there by birds or winds.

Saprophytes
Saprophytes are the organisms that act as the rainforests decomposers, competing with the heavy rainfall which constantly washes away nutrients on the forest floors. Some fungi, called mycorrhizals, are examples of plant life that carry out this function. Decomposers work extremely efficiently and, together with the warmth and wetness which helps accelerate decomposition, can often break down dead animals and vegetation within 24 hours.  Decomposition in montane forests, which are colder and less humid, however, can sometimes take up to six weeks.
Many saprotrophs are so small, called microbes, that they cannot be seen with the naked eye. Other decomposers, which include insects, grubs, snails, slugs, beetles and ants, aid in recycling valuable nutrients from dead organic matter which is then released back into the soil to be reabsorbed rapidly by plants and trees. Decayed matter contains essential nutrients like iron, calcium, potassium and phosphorous all of which are necessary to promote healthy rainforest growth. Thus decomposers must work continuously to release these and other elements into the soil.

Butress Roots
Most rainforest soil is very poor with all the nutrients available largely remaining at surface level. Because of this rainforest trees have very shallow roots.

Some very tall trees have developed ways of obtaining much needed additional support by forming buttressed roots, which grow out from the base of the trunk sometimes as high as 15 ft above the ground. These extended roots also increase the area over which nutrients can be absorbed from the soil.

Lianas
Ninety per cent of the world's vine species grow in tropical rainforests. Lianas are a type of climbing vine found throughout tropical rainforests. They have thick, woody stems and come in various lengths (up to 3,000 ft) and varying shapes. They begin life on the forest floor but depend on trees for support as they climb upwards towards the sunlight they need for survival. They do this by attaching themselves to trees with sucker roots or tendrils and growing with the young sapling, or they climb by winding themselves round the tree's trunk.

When they reach the top of the canopy they often spread to other trees or wrap themselves around other lianas. This network of vines gives support against strong winds to the shallow-rooted, top-heavy trees. However, when one tree falls several others may be pulled down also.

Lianas include rattan palms, philodendron and Strychnos toxifera (from which the deadly poison strychnine is obtained). Rattans, the Asian lianas, have thorny stems and can reach heights of 650 feet (200 m). They are used to make a variety of things including baskets, ropes and wicker furniture.

Stilt/Prop Roots
Mangrove rainforest trees require a different kind of support system. Mangroves grow in wet, muddy soil at the water's edge which can be subject to tides and flooding. As a means of support they develop several aerial pitchfork-like extensions from the trunk which grow downwards and anchor themselves in the soil trapping sediment which helps to stabilize the tree.

Carniverous Plants
Some plants are adapted to obtain nutrients from animal matter. The best known of these is probably the Venus fly trap, but more impressive is the pitcher plant Nepenthes rafflesiana, found in southeast Asia. This plant grows to 30 feet tall and may have pitchers 12 inches in length, usually crammed full of digested insects.

Pitcher plants also eat small mammals and reptiles that attempt to steal the insects from the pitcher.

Orchids
Orchids comprise one of the most abundant and varied of flowering plant families. There are over 20,000 known species and orchids are especially common in moist tropical regions. Although temperate orchids usually grow in the soil, tropical orchids are more often epiphytes which grow non-parasitically on trees.

Orchid flowers vary considerably in shape color and size, although they share a common pattern of three petals and three petal-like sepals. The lower petal has a very distinctive appearance.

Strangler Fig
Most stranglers are members of the fig family. In Spanish they are known as matapalo - 'killer tree'. The seed of the strangler fig starts life as an epiphyte high in the trees, borne by birds and monkeys which eat the fig fruit. The seedling fig sends down long roots to the ground from where it begins to surround the host tree. It grows quickly and eventually suffocates the host: when the host tree dies it leaves an enormous upright strangler with a hollow core.

By using an adult tree as its host, the  strangler fig avoids competition for light and nutrients at ground level.

Note: Information provided by www.srl.caltech.edu/perso...liads.html

Perhaps we could ask the Masterbard or her sister to come up with Nybelmarian terms for these categories (something less scientific than "Epiphytes" for instance. They are so good with names! You should have seen Judith's diseases list!

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 July 2005, 13:00:00 »

Accutally I did check out those web sites before, when trying to create the Santharian Rain Forest. Also I would ask if you could wait for a few days. I am in the process of develping seige weapons and finishing off my Mine Thief, Moss Wheat, and Spear entries. So give me a few days and then I can be fully dedacated to the rain forest. Though I would like to meet online at 2 pm my time, 10 pm your time to discuss this stuff.

Thanks,
Luke

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 July 2005, 13:13:00 »

No problem.

Victhorin
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 July 2005, 22:16:00 »

Quote:
Also I would ask if you could wait for a few days. I am in the process of develping seige weapons and finishing off my Mine Thief, Moss Wheat, and Spear entries.

A few days?!!!:eek     I have ONE entry in developing and that will take at least a week for me to finish!:(    
I love the speed of our new Nybelmarian!:clap    :worship    :jawdrop    

Edit: 400 Posts btw. "Dwarven Miner". I'll think I'll stop here.;)    

Impatient? Me? Who said that? Come on, tell me! We haven't got all day!

Edited by: Victhorin at: 7/27/05 9:20
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]