Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
30 October 2006, 19:01:55

gfx gfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register    gfx gfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print Reply
Author Topic: Már'kál  (Read 190 times)
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

Ishmaelion the philosopher

View Profile
« on: 03 April 2006, 20:24:00 »

Már’kál (Waterfruit)

Categorization
Plant - Edible plant

Overview
The Már’kál or Waterfruit is one of those desert plants which contains moisture and is often used by the nearby fauna as a water source. A paradoxal plant, for its hostile appearance often wards travellers away while it is in fact one of the most handy plants in the desert. The thorny plant has fruits which look like small dark pompions which contain drinkable water. It is often found in the Ráhaz’Dáth area, but is known to appear in other desert-like areas as well, such as the Zhunite desert in Nybelmar. The Már’kál is mostly used by desert creatures, who have become used to the harsh conditions of the sandy dunes of the great deserts. One of those creatures is the sandroller, in whose life the plant fulfills a great role.   

Description
The Már’kál simply looks hellish. The plant usually grows to a height of one fore, and is often overlooked by hurried travellers. A dark stem, wrought with thorns, flowers which look like they have been through the fires of Foiros and had been twisted and corrupted by the Dark one himself. Its fruit is in the shape of small lemon-like objects, but, unlike the lemon, the Már’kál fruit is not readily taken for a harmless fruit. The fruit itself is dark red, a sinister colour indeed. All across the fruit are veins of blackness, like the veins on a leaf. This only adds to its dangerous appearance. This “demon-fruit” usually is a little short of one palmspan big. The Már’kál has a short lifespan, as it thrives in the desert. It usually only lasts a couple of seasons and then withers away. This short span is balanced by the number of seeds the Már’kál bears. The seeds are situated at the edge of the fruit, so that if the fruit falls or is bitten off the seeds get scattered. The Már’kál carries approximately two dozen of seeds per fruit. You can imagine that this is one of the causes why the plant still manages to survive in the desert. 

Territory
The Már’kál is a purebred desert plant. Therefore it is often found in deserts. Mostly known for this plant is the Ráhaz’dáth desert, but the Már’kál has also been found in other desert-like areas, being the deserts on Nybelmar and other regions with the same climate and conditions. Another example of this are the Nyvian Plains in Aeruillin, this region also has the perquisites necessary for the plant to lives. In those regions there is no real specified location as to where the plant thrives, being near a watersource or in the heart of the heat and the sand. The only thing known is that if you spot one of the Már’kál, you will likely encounter more in the immediate vicinity, this because of their rapid reproduction.

Usages
The Water-fruit, as the name suggests, is used for its water-filled fruits. Because of its hostile appearance, it is usually only consumed by the fauna which lives nearby. Travellers are often just frightened by the Már’kál, which has earned the plant its other nickname: Demon-fruit. The lemon shaped fruit is filled with water. How it comes by such an amount of water will be explained in the reproduction section.

Reproduction
The Már’kál has a strange way of living. Its lifespan is very short, due to the fact that it kills itself by letting all its water flow into its fruits. The plant is very adapted to the desert, and, without its fruits, should be able to survive a long time. But when the Már’kál is ready to bear fruit, it sucks itself dry in order to fill its fruit with water.
This short lifespan is however compensated by the number of seeds which are scattered every time one of the fruit is pulled of the plant. This made sure that the plant has survived this far, and that it has become one of the ever-present elements in this world’s deserts.

Myth
The Már'kál does not have an elaborate history or myth. It is often spoken of as "Demon-fruit" though and many travellers who have not yet seen the plant often ask why this name is given to the Már'kál. It is considered sport amongst the people of the desert to conjure up wild stories about demons and blood, horrible tales of slaughtered villages at the places where the plant grows, etc. This is however purely the imagination of the spokesman, and by no means reflects the true Már'kál. It is simply called the "Demon-fruit" because of its hellish appearance. 
« Last Edit: 17 September 2006, 09:09:30 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2006, 12:28:35 »

here it is, the Már'kál!

hope to fill in the myth part before my leave of absence.

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Decipher Ziron

I is a gud rita

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2006, 13:56:45 »

Már’kál (Waterfruit)

Categorization
Plant - ?

Basic Overview of the Plant

The Már’kál or Waterfruit is one of those desert plants which contains moisture and is often used by the nearby fauna as a water source. A paradoxal plant, for its hostile appearance often shields (Shields? thats more of a comforting verb, use something like 'wards') travellers away while it is in fact one of the most handy plants in the desert. The thorny plant has fruits which look like small dark lemons (Do we have lemons? If not you can't really use that comparison) and (not neccesary) which contain drinkable water. It is often found in the Ráhaz’Dáth area, but is known to appear in other desert-like areas as well, such as some places (change this 'some places' to something like Moredein Palanith Zhunith) in Nybelmar. The Már’kál is mostly used by desert creatures, who have become used to the harsh conditions of the sandy dunes of the great deserts. One of those creatures is the sandroller, in whose life the plant fulfills a great role.   

Description

The Már’kál simply looks hellish. The plant usually grows to a height of one fore, and is often overlooked by hurried travellers. A dark stem, wrought with thorns, flowers which look like they have been through the fires of Foiros and had been twisted and corrupted by the Dark one himself. Its fruit is in the shape of small lemon-like objects, but, unlike the lemon, the Már’kál fruit is not readily taken for a harmless fruit. The fruit itself is dark red, a sinister colour indeed. All across the fruit are veins of blackness, like the veins on a leaf. This only adds to its dangerous appearance. This “demon-fruit” usually is a little short of one palmspan big. The Már’kál has a short lifespan, as it thrives in the desert. It usually only lasts a couple of seasons and then withers away. This short span is balanced by the number of seeds the Már’kál bears. The seeds are situated at the edge of the fruit, so that if the fruit falls or is bitten off the seeds get scattered. The Már’kál carries approximately two dozen of seeds per fruit. You can imagine that this is one of the causes why the plant still manages to survive in the desert. 

Territory

The Már’kál is a purebred desert plant. Therefore it is often found in deserts. Mostly known for this plant is the Ráhaz’dáth desert, but the Már’kál has also been found in other desert-like areas, being the deserts on Nybelmar and other regions with the same climate and conditions. There is no real specified location as to where the plant thrives, being near a watersource or in the hart of the heat and the sand. The only thing known is that if you spot one of the Már’kál, you will likely encounter more in the immediate vicinity, this because of their rapid reproduction. (Maybe put a few in Aeurillin?)

Usages

The Water-fruit, as the name suggests, is used for its water-filled fruits. Because of its hostile appearance, it is usually only consumed by the fauna which lives nearby. Travellers are often just frightened by the Már’kál, which has earned the plant its other nickname: Demon-fruit. The lemon shaped fruit is filled with water. How it comes by such an amount of water will be explained in the reproduction section.

Reproduction

The Már’kál has a strange way of living. Its lifespan is very short, due to the fact that it kills itself by letting all its water flow into its fruits. The plant is very adapted to the desert, and, without its fruits, should be able to survive a long time. But when the Már’kál is ready to bear fruit, it sucks itself dry in order to fill its fruit with water.
This short lifespan is however compensated by the number of seeds which are scattered every time one of the fruit is pulled of the plant. This made sure that the plant has survived this far, and that it has become one of the ever-present elements in this world’s deserts.

Myth
Still thinking about this one

Very nice Ishmaelion! A suicidal demon-lemon, thats what I call a plant!

Decipher
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2006, 18:02:01 »

Thanks Deci, I editted the piece accordingly, and about the myth, it will probably be folk (and bloody evil)

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2006, 21:14:57 »

Decipher, don't forget to add this to your Nybelmar flora list!

Ishmaelion, the following caught my eye: "There is no real specified location as to where the plant thrives, being near a watersource or in the HEART of the heat and the sand"

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2006, 14:44:32 »

Thanks Coren, I took the Dutch word by accident... habits...

Will try to finish the myth section in the coming days, hope to get something done before I descend into the misty swirls uf the thing they call student-life

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
ishmaelion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2006, 10:29:52 »

Okay, I've finished it now completely, added a mythpart. I was suddenly a bit wary of conjuring up an all too great story as a myth, as I imagined this plant of being a bit normal at least. So, once again, any comments are welcome thumbup

Mi a welaf gwr
gwelaf fi y paladr
angheu a ofnaf fi
mi a ddifferaf fy merch
cwyddaf
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2006, 08:29:56 »

Can someone perhaps give this a check if time allows? Maybe it could be added this week if it's ok!

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2006, 09:13:52 »

Ok, I've taken care of it and prepared the entry, which was pretty complete anyway (though a bit of concrete Myth/Lore wouldn't have hurt). "Lemons" in Santharia are called "lymmons" BTW (see the kithraure tree). I've also added the term "kál" now to the Styrásh dictionary, meaning "fruit", as you seem to have use it that way.

Otherwise a nice entry with little I had to adjust :D

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...
Pages: [1]
Print Reply
Jump to:  

Help, I'm a Newbie!
Recent
by Arceon
[Today at 18:26:13]

by Arceon
[Today at 18:05:52]

by Arceon
[Today at 18:01:01]

by Arceon
[Today at 17:57:39]

by Arceon
[Today at 17:56:42]

[Today at 12:34:41]

[Today at 12:31:35]

[Today at 09:30:47]

[Today at 02:57:09]

[Today at 02:55:00]
Members
Total Members: 1301
Latest: XXL
Stats
Total Posts: 77070
Total Topics: 6714
Online Today: 12
Online Ever: 50
(13 October 2006, 11:44:01)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 6
Total: 7

Last 10 shouts:
Yesterday at 23:20:43
Yes, it's Arwen from LOTR. ^^
Yesterday at 21:49:57
Question for Kar is your portrait of Arwen from LOTR or is it something else
Yesterday at 14:26:47
Ha,Ha
Yesterday at 00:45:53
Oh no Arceon, yer not getting off the architectural hook that easilly! :P
28 October 2006, 20:02:06
ah well.. just some silly remarks anyway.

If anyone's bored, i'd appreciate a comment or two on my Chorakee birds!
28 October 2006, 20:01:00
Whew.. *wipes the sweat from his forehead*
Yet another project updatedone.. Tribal notes published, scedule updated with all sorts of fancy click-me's, and the first bits of the place entry written... *looks at the enormous pile of tomes he's been dragging from the library to his study all day* N
27 October 2006, 00:50:19
thank you
26 October 2006, 17:54:17
@colossuem: I've looked over the entry. Be aware that although drawing attention is of course always an option, sometimes people are simply busy ;) It happens, you know?
26 October 2006, 13:53:34
The snake shield has been the top of the miscellaneous forum for three days so i'd appreciate it if someone checked it
26 October 2006, 08:18:13
Yep - there's still a lot to do on the continents we have opened for development.