Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Decimals?  (Read 2534 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 12 August 2005, 13:44:00 »

I just came across a comment of Rayne..(f.e., sorry, Rayne that it is just you, no offense! )

Quote:
....length (Here at the Development Board, we use decimals--it makes it a lot easier--so perhaps you might just say about 1.75-1.8 palmspans?)

I always thought, we should avoid this. Does anyone know, when decimals where invented? For I try to tell the people always, not to use them, for this is surely not a medieval flare - even not for the compendium. I think, we shouldn't use such precise messurements at all - only where it is really necessary - maybe by meassuring something tiny.

The original in this entry is following
Quote:
Appearance: The Horn Eared Rabbit gets its name from the shape of its ears. Its ears are quite long often reaching 1 Palmspan, 7 Nailsbreadths, 4 Grains in length

In addition, I think, even the four grains are too precise. For one, the ears surely range in the length up to two or three grains anyway, so such a exact messurement makes no sense - and 1, 75-1,8 palmspans (17, 5cm - 18cm) - giving the length of  an ear of such an animal this exact is just not possible, we should stay in the borders of the error bar!

I would recommend to only write:  Its ears are quite long often reaching well  about one and a half palmspan.

So, can we define a guidline here for further comments on entries?

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Terra Artemos
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2005, 14:23:00 »

Looks like my measures converter was used in that example, and its not ment to be taken litterally unless someone wants to be percise. People using it can end or attempt to round at any units they like. A current I just don't see a practical way to make the SMC able to round to desired units itself and keep it usable to those new to Santharia as well as those who have been around a while and are femilior with the measures system.

Again as a note to developers, and this can be voiced in comments, The EAC, and SMC are ment as guides, and are not absolute.

'I am grey. All but those like me see only darkness and light, they do not see the grey between them. In this greyness I dwell. I would not wish this fate on any other.'

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2005, 14:47:00 »

Yes, as already stated at the last conversion discussion: The converter is only precise because it takes the definitions and converts numbers accurately to another measurement. Don't ever take it literally. It's really just a guide.

Try to be descriptive when taking about sizes and use only rough measurements. I personally would even favour descriptions like "half a man's foot size" if it is appropriate and such - this would fit much better to medieval "science".

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2005, 15:17:00 »

Guys, that was not my question.
Rayne proposed to use decimals in compendium entries instead of peds/fores/handspans. That has nothing to do with converting from meters to peds..

Shall we take now your second proposal Art:
Quote:
Try to be descriptive when taking about sizes and use only rough measurements. I personally would even favour descriptions like "half a man's foot size" if it is appropriate and such - this would fit much better to medieval "science".
and no decimals, like Rayne proposed?

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2005, 15:37:00 »

I'm against decimals - this is scientific syntax of a different age.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2005, 15:51:00 »

Yes, I don't think decimals work really well either.  1.75 palmspans can be stated as over one-and-a-half palmspans or nearly two palmspans.  I think that's precise enough when you are measuring bunny ears, for instance. After all, they aren't all going to be exactly the same length.   You can't be so specific when talking about a species, only an individual.

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2005, 16:33:00 »

I agree that decimals should not be used, and measurements should not too exact. But I found some history on the decimal.

-The earliest known mention of the decimal was around 950 a.d., by Abu'l Hasan Ahmad ibn Ibrahim Al-Uqlidisi (some Arabic guy).
-In 1585 the first books (by Simon Stevin)  were published that fully explained decimals, and introduced them into common use.

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2005, 01:48:00 »

Quote:
The earliest known mention of the decimal was around 950 a.d., by Abu'l Hasan Ahmad ibn Ibrahim Al-Uqlidisi (some Arabic guy).

This is half way the Middle Ages. The Arabian world was at a much higher level of civilization back then, with the church holding back the development of science (funny it’s the other way around now). I would think with the technological level of Santharia, decimals are probably known, but maybe just by math people and astrodudes.

But as for exact/rough measurements, you could be just as rough with as without decimals. It all depends on how exact you make it. But I think the average researcher won’t be using them.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]