Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Avásh Veván (don't know how to translate Stryash correctly,)  (Read 2744 times)
Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 25 November 2003, 07:20:00 »

Basic Overview of the Beast
The Avásh Veván (translated to mean "Wind Bird") is a famous bird around Aeruillin for its uniqueness among all birds. The Sor'inyt tribe most often refer to it to as the Running Bird. It is widely known for its ability to eat the swift copper snake, the deadliest sand serpent on Aeruillin, and its preferences for speeding across the deserts.

Appearance
The Avásh Veván is a large, black and white mottled ground bird with a unique head crest. It has strong feet that rest under long stout legs. Two forward toes and two behind can characterize its feet. The bird comes in a blend of dull colors, ranging from brown and black with a few white spots to the very common just black and white. It has a long, white-tipped tail that is graduated and is carried pointing upwards. Its bill is oversized and is a dull light brown. It has external nostrils from which excess salt is eliminated; unlike other birds who eliminate the excess salt through urine.

The Avásh Veván ranges in length from 2.5 palmspans to a fore from the tip of its tail to the end of its beak. When these birds sense danger or are traveling downhill, they fly by revealing short, rounded wings with a white crescent. It cannot keep its large body in the air for more than a few seconds. And so it prefers walking or running (up to seventeen peds per bell).

Special Abilities
In order to store as much water as possible, it reabsorbs water from its droppings before actually dropping them. During the heat of mid-day, the ground bird will reduce its activity by half, both externally and internally. The Running Bird is perhaps the fastest land animal in southern Aeruillin. It can run at speeds up to seventeen peds per bell, and some have been noted to run at twenty.

Territory
The Running Bird can be found throughout most of Aeruillin, save for the Void. It has a higher population in the south, but more specifically the southeast than it does other parts of the continent. A smaller population has also been found in southern Santharia in the Aj‘nuvic Grounds during the summer, and then migrating insmall packs to the Flood Plains when winter arrives.

Habitat/Behavior
This bird can be found in open, flat, or rolling terrain with the scattered cover of dry brush or other desert shrubs. Running Birds can never be found in groups unless they are mating or if they happen to come across the same meal. They prefer to be alone and do not make the best companions. The only time the Avásh Veván can be seen unmoving is if it is very hot in the desert, if it is silently watching its prey, or if it is resting.

The Avásh Veván can live for up to six years, and by the time it reaches old age it does the opposite of what most would expect. Instead of the bird slowing down its movements, it seems to speed them up for some highly unknown reason.

Diet
The Running Bird feeds only on other small animals, including insects, lizards, and copper snakes. During the colder months they may eat a low amount of plant material due to the scarcity of animals at that time. Since the Avásh Veván is so quick, it is one of the few animals that can prey upon the copper snake. It uses its wings like a cape and snaps up the copper by its tail. It cracks the snake like a whip and repeatedly slams its head against the ground until it is dead. The Running Bird will then swallow its prey whole, but is often unable to swallow the entire length at one time. It will continue to run about with the snake hanging from its mouth, consuming another palmspan or two as the snake slowly digests.

Mating
When spring arrives, the male bird, in addition to acquiring food for himself, offers choice morsels to a female as an inducement to mating. He usually dances around while she begs for the food, then he gives it to her only after mating. Both parents collect small sticks used for building a shallow, saucer-like nest, but the female actually constructs it in a bush, cactus, or abandoned hole. She will then lay two to twelve white eggs over a period of three days, which results in separate hatchings. Incubation is from eighteen to twentydays and is done by either parent, though the male prefers to do it because the nocturnally incubating males keep a normal body temperature.

The first to hatch often crowd out of late-arriving runts, which are sometimes eaten by the parents. Usually only three or four are finally fledged from the nest after about eighteen days. These remain near the adults for up to two more weeks before dispersing to the surrounding desert.

Researchers
The most notable researcher is the Aeolrhan adventurer and artist, by the name of Favelcavar Maiitarnae. He has been studying these birds for over twenty-three years and we commend him for his research on the ground birds.

Usages
The Avásh Veván has many uses for the tribes in Aeruillin. It's feathers can be used as decorations for clothing and weapons, plus other ornaments around the home. It can be killed and its meat used for food. Its eggs can be taken and used to make a number of products, plus it is said that if you clean your teeth with the tail feather of an Avásh Veván you will have sparkling teeth. The Tiraelhon often use the feathers to decorate their throwing axes, and they use the meat to make a wide variety of meals.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/6/03 9:40
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2003, 09:07:00 »

Looks good at the first glance, hopefully I can go over it this evening again.

Is there a reason you confine it to Aeruillin, or can I have it for the Rahaz-Dath as well? :)  Maybe we need a different name (Or just wind bird)there, because there are no elves.  

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Salomai
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2003, 09:56:00 »

Lady Tiaa here, you can have it in the Rahaz-Dath, but will I need to do a seperate entry on it? I let you have my Melad Fenil as well, but I was unsure whether you wanted me to do an entry on it. I put it in Aeruillin because Artemis requested that I make animals that can be found throughout that whole continent...we seem to be lacking.  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2003, 12:16:00 »

No, no different entry, just mention the Rahaz-Dath in Territory - I will give you some special places there.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2003, 16:16:00 »

Basic Overview of the Beast
The Avásh Veván (translated to mean "Wind Bird") <want it to say Bird of the Wind> is a famous bird around Aeruillin for its uniqueness among all birds. The Sor‘inyt   most often refer to it   as the Running Bird. It is widely known for its ability to eat the swift copper snake, the deadliest sand serpent on Aeruillin, and its preferences for speeding across the deserts.

Appearance
The Avásh Veván is a large, black and white mottled ground bird with a unique head crest. It has strong feet that rest under long stout legs. Two forward toes and two behind can characterize its feet. The bird comes in a blend of dull colors, ranging from brown and black with a few white spots to the very common just black and white. It has a long, white-tipped tail that is graduated and is carried pointing upwards. Its bill is oversized and is a dull light brown. It has external nostrils from which excess salt is eliminated; unlike other birds who eliminate the excess salt through urine.

The Avásh Veván ranges in length from 2.5 palmspans to a fore from the tip of its tail to the end of its beak. When these birds sense danger or are traveling downhill,  they fly by revealing short, rounded wings with a white crescent. It cannot keep its large body in the air for more than a few seconds. And so it prefers walking or running (up to 17 peds per bell).

Special Abilities
In order to store as much water as possible, it reabsorbs water from its droppings before actually dropping them. During the heat of mid-day, the ground bird will reduce its activity by half, both externally and internally. The Running Bird is perhaps the fastest land animal in southern Aeruillin. It can run at speeds up to 17 peds per bell, and some have been noted to run at 20. It is so quick that it can snatch a dragonfly from midair.

Well, dragonflies don‘t live in deserts, so maybe you chose another insect?

Territory
The Running Bird can be found throughout most of Aeruillin, save for the Void. It has a higher population in the south, but more specifically the southeast than it does other parts of the continent.

The Aj‘nuvic Grounds would be fine for summer, the flood plains in winter?  

Habitat/Behavior
This bird can be found in open, flat, or rolling terrain with the scattered cover of dry brush or other desert shrubs. Running Birds can never be found in groups unless they are mating or if they happen to come across the same meal. They prefer to be alone and do not make the best companions. The only time the Avásh Veván can be seen unmoving is if it is very hot in the desert or if it is hunting or resting.

Is it watching silently for prey?  

The Avásh Veván can live for up to 6 years, and by the time it reaches old age it does the opposite of what most would expect. Instead of the bird slowing down its movements, it seems to speed them up for some highly unknown reason.

Diet
The Running Bird feeds only on other ???   animals, including insects, lizards, and copper snakes. During the colder months they may eat a low amount of plant material due to the scarcity of animals at that time. Since the Avásh Veván is so quick, it is one of the few animals that can prey upon the copper snake. It uses its wings like a cape and snaps up the copper by its tail. It cracks the snake like a whip and repeatedly slams its head against the ground until it is dead. The Running Bird will then swallow its prey whole, but is often unable to swallow the entire length at one time. It will continue to run about with the snake hanging from its mouth, consuming another inch   palmspanor two as the snake slowly digests.

Mating
When spring arrives, the male bird, in addition to acquiring food for himself, offers choice morsels to a female as an inducement to mating. He usually dances around while she begs for the food, then he gives it to her only after mating. Both parents collect small sticks used for building a shallow, saucer-like nest, but the female actually constructs it in a bush, cactus, or abandoned hole. She will then lay 2 to 12 white eggs over a period of 3 days, which results in separate hatchings. Incubation is from 18-20 days and is done by either parent, though the male prefers to do it because the nocturnally incubating males keep a normal body temperature.

The first to hatch often crowd out of late-arriving runts, which are sometimes eaten by the parents. Usually only 3 or 4 are finally fledged from the nest after about 18 days. These remain near the adults for up to 2 more weeks before dispersing to the surrounding desert.

Researchers
The most notable researcher is the Aeolrhan adventurer and artist, by the name of Favelcavar Maiitarnae. He has been studying these birds for over twenty-three years and we commend him for his research on the ground birds.

Usages
The Avásh Veván has many uses for the tribes in Aeruillin. It's feathers can be used as decorations for clothing and weapons, plus other ornaments around the home. It can be killed and its meat used for food. Its eggs can be taken and used to make a number of products, plus it is said that if you clean your teeth with the tail feather of an Avásh Veván you will have sparkling teeth.

Fine so far, hope I don‘t have overlooked too many mistakes ;)  . maybe you could tie it a bit more to Caelereth looking for special usage of the one or other tribe? Aren‘t you doing one?

I forgot to mention: I prefer to write out the numbers up to twenty or higher(if it is possibleand they are simple) Obviously my teachers were very good in teaching that to me, I still can#t see numbners used in formal text ;)  

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 11/24/03 23:20

Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2003, 03:05:00 »

Edited!

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2003, 05:52:00 »

Well done!

Just two things left to mention:

The Sor'inyt tribe

and: Eglish is not my mother language and so a few words were new to me, which I didn't look up, f.e. choice morsels. I assumed they were alright for the entry was so well writen that not much was to comment.

Otherwise this entry is ready to go up.

Tiaa, put this blue arrow in the first post to show art, that the entry is ready for preparing.

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 11/26/03 12:55

Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2003, 07:37:00 »

I did the arrow thing and I made the word say choice piece of prey?? or something like that I can't remember...

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2003, 17:09:00 »

Lady Tiaa, I didn't mean to change this morcel thing, just because something is new to me doesn't mean you have to change it! I just wanted to say, there might be things wrong I didn't see!

But the Sor'inyt are spelled wrongly!!!!

Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2003, 18:56:00 »

Okay FIXED IT

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]