Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Earth Eater  (Read 3743 times)
Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 10 February 2004, 03:00:00 »

Single Clam- Earth Eater, Sand Clam, Behemoth Clam
Three or More- Pod
Young- Clam

Basic Overview of the Beast
The Earth Eater, known also as the Sand Clam, is a rare breed of clam, which has become accustomed to life deep within the scorching desert sands. These creatures can grow to a height of 3 peds and the average Eater weighs over 8 pygges. Eaters are found mostly in southeastern Aeruillin, but they have been seen in the southwest as well.

Appearance
The Earth Eater is one of the largest land animals in all of Aeruillin. It is often seen as a mere myth to those of the northern port cities who have never lived in the deserts. But to those tribes who have lived in the merciless deserts they know that these creatures are powerful forces to be reckoned with. They look almost exactly like clams found in the seas and oceans, except for the fact that they are many times larger. Mature Eaters weigh anywhere from 8 to 10 pygges and can be as tall as 3 peds. Their length from the beginning of their bodies to their heavy, and dangerously sharp tails is usually about 2.5 peds. In 50 years it can grow to be more than 1.5 peds across. Eaters come in a variety of dull colors, from light grays to dark blacks and there are dull brown Eaters as well.

Earth Eaters do not have the tongues that their ocean counterparts do. Instead they have tubes that act as filters. The tube is round and hollow in the inside. It has a hole in the opening and a hole at the ending, which is where the eater's anus is. The tube is rather elastic and can stretch out about 1 ped from the eater's mouth. This tube sucks in sand and anything above the sand; humans, elves, and other animals alike. The tube then pushes the items into the eater's digestive system, where it pulls out whatever nutrients, moister, or meat it needs. Then the wastes and the sand are dumped out of the eater's anus, located under the armored tail. Any oxygen absorbed is sent down another smaller tube that is attached to the main tube. That small tube leads into the huge respiratory system of the eater, carbon dioxide is then spat out of the anus as well.

The Earth Eaters can use their massive tails to propel themselves forward. It takes a lot of energy to do this, so the earth eaters hardly move. But when they need to capture an unsuspecting creature or if they need oxygen they can push their heavy body out of the sand. The tail is also used to dig into the sand. It only moves in up and down motions, so it cannot be used to swipe at anything. But if someone is unlucky enough to stand behind the eater the force of its tail will crush him or her.

Special Abilities
These creatures have a very thick layer of skin, which has hardened and acts as a protective armor. This makes the eater very difficult to kill. It takes the Tiraelhon many sharp axes to cut into this creatures hide.

The earth eaters are also known for being able to hold their breaths for an immense amount of time. It is necessary for these creatures to be able to do this because it is unknown when they may get any oxygen if they dig to deep in the sand.

The earth eaters are able to use a special attack against their foes. But this attack works only if their attacker is behind them. The earth eater can spew its waste products at its enemies, plus the high amount of carbon dioxide they expel with their waste could cause dizziness, or could be terminal. With the waste comes any bones, hair, claws, teeth, or other things that the eater’s stomach was unable to digest. So being "spat at" by these creatures could be a very disgusting situation.

Territory
Earth Eaters are only found in Aeruillin. These creatures have been seen in other places around Caelereth, but this is often because they have been brought there. They do not live in any bodies of water because they would drown if they went in the water. But they can be found near them. They often choose places with soft sand, or fertile areas, and eaters will usually bury themselves no deeper than 3 to 5 peds under the sand. A sign that earth eaters live, or have lived in an area is to look at the soil. If the soil looks healthy, and plants grow without ale, that means that the soil is just naturally good, or that the amounts of carbon dioxide expelled by these creatures and their waste products have contributed to making the soil very fertile.

Habitat/Behavior
Earth Eaters are sluggish, massive powerhouses that move very little unless provoked. They spend most of their seven hour days digging deep into the sand with their massive tails and feeding on the nurtients and any other organisms in the sands.

These creatures are often found near bodies of water, or other moist areas. They do not need it to live, but it helps to keep them cool in the hot sands. Eart Eaters are highly territorial and often live in groups of no more than three. Those three that live together are often many peds apart and hardly ever come into contact unless they are all heading towards a source of water, food, or unless they are breeding. The female eaters are often the ones who seem to lead the pod. It is rather difficult to study these subterrainian behemoths, but from what many researchers have gathered the largest female eater will often emit a certain scent from her tube that will attract all the others towards her. This scent is generally used for mating but if the pod needs to move the female will use it.

If the area in which an earth eater lives become too dry they will dig their way to the top, which often takes a day or two. If they cannot make it in time and they are completely dried out, the earth eater will die instantly. Seeing as how these creatures are slow the mortality rate in eaters trying to reach the surface is 3 out of 5.

Diet
The Sand Clam eat practically any vegetable matter. Leaves, grass, reeds, roots, flowers, fruits, bark and even soil if the mineral content is high. They do so through the tube that serves many purposes for this creature. Eaters have been known to catch large and small animals in their tubes and many have found the bones of elves or humans hidden tightly within this creature's feces. The earth eater must eat up to five times its body weight in food each week. If they do not accomplish this then their body will start to digest its own internal organs to make up for the loss in food.

Water is important for the eaters, but not too important. They can go up to two weeks without any water. After that point they must refill, often having to travel about twelve peds just to find a fresh source of water. These sources can even include the resources of humans and elves. Dead sand clams have been seen in the middle of settlements with water bins knocked over around them. Obviously these creatures were too late.

Mating
Female earth eaters are sexually mature at 25 years of age. Once they reach maturity they often leave their pod in search of a mate and emit a scent along their path. This scent enhances a male eater's sexual drive and causes them to follow that trail relentlessly until they find the female. Once the female is found the male spews his waste products over her back. After this is done he moves towards her, his tail pushing him all the way. Once he has the front tip of his shell at her sexual organ, located just below her anus, he turns all the way around. This turning usually takes up to half a bell, but it is worth it because it is not common for eaters to find each other easily. Once his anus is to hers his sexual organ slides out under the armor plate and they copulate for a brief thirty-fifty seconds.

Afterwards the female lets out a very deep grunting noise and begans to fan the male away with her tail. She stores the sperm in a sac in her organ, not yet allowing her eggs to be fertilize. She will check out all of her prospects before finally choosing a mate. A female eater usually goes through this five times every three months.

Gestation takes up to 25 months, the single egg growing in the female, creating a bubble on the outside of her anus. During this time the female is highly vulnerable, she is a lot more tired and moves around a lot less. She also does not go underground during this period. The roughness of the sand could rupture the sac and she would loss the egg and a lot of necessary bodily fluids.

At the end of the 25 months the sac is the size of a 5 yr. old human child balled up in a fetal position. The female uses her tube to push her heavy body at an upwards angle and uses it to scratch her sac against the sand, but she only does this just enough so that it creates a small tear on it. She then begins to push, first out comes the thickened fluids in the form of a watery bag. Soon after this comes out a tiny clam, of a beautiful white color falls out onto the sands. The mother then turns around, which as stated above takes up to half a bell and leaves the newborn clam vulnerable to predators. Once she is facing her offspring she places it in her mouth by applying suction on it with her tube and then placing it in a once hollow part of it's massive head.

That part of the shell, which was once hollow, has begun to fill up with a thick, milk-like fluid, which the clam will feed upon for 3 years. While it is feeding it has gills and the tail is vertical instead of horizontal, giving the young clam the ability to swim in its own food. Once the 3 years have passed the clam is spat out and left to live on its own. On average the earth eaters are only half of their size by this time. Only 4 out of 7 of these abandoned clams make it to see adulthood. On average Earth Eaters will also live to be up to 135 years.

Usages may be coming....I am contemplating whether or not I should put it....

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 3/12/04 12:06
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2004, 05:41:00 »

LOL, better say: Not started yet!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2004, 08:36:00 »

:rollin

That's a relief.  I thought I was missing something, or needed glasses
:b  

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2004, 04:47:00 »

Okay, I'm not done with this yet. Just trying to keep my thoughts together and focus on this creature.

Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2004, 05:33:00 »

:clap :clap  Now I am done...YES!!!!!   :clap :clap  

Lucirina Telor Vevan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2004, 14:58:00 »

Big scary clam beast... I shall never wander alone in that desert

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2004, 16:49:00 »

Wow! Very well done! There's a lot of good detail in this entry that really makes the beast seem to come alive. It seems, though, that being so large and monstrous a beast, there must be some Myth or Lore associated with it. Did a goddess perhaps create it? Or some demon? Be creative! I really think there must be a good Myth/Lore to suit this creature!

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2004, 03:17:00 »

I wanted to do a good myth too, but I just couldn't think of anything....hmmm...lemme sleep on it...for a few hours. Then I'll get back to ya.  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2004, 10:32:00 »

Really an interesting animal, you have created the counterpart of the Ráhaz-Estár for Aeruillin.

I didn‘t have  the time to read through all of it and not thoroughly on top. Would be nice if somebody else could do a thorough readthrough with some comments other than that is a good entry („sigh“), otherwise again Arti has to do all the work.

Just a few things I came by while skimming through.

- Being absolute illiterate what the seas and oceans concerns - but clams (on earth) have tails????

Maybe describe the beast a bit more, how it looks, don‘t just refer to clam, or descrie it as if nobody would know, how a clam looks like.

„carbon dioxide“ : I don‘t think, that we know already, what this is, same with oxygen.(just say „air“)

„The earth eater must eat up to five times its body weight in food each week. If they do not accomplish this then their body will start to digest its own internal organs to make up for the loss in food.“
Not very likely in my opinion, against all rules of nature, no plus for survival.

„After that point they must refill, often having to travel about twelve peds just to find a fresh source of water.“ Is this far for them?

„..... and they copulate for a brief thirty-fifty seconds. „

too exactly described, I doubt we have invented a clock with seconds showing at all. (maybe : just a few moments)

half a bell= half a hour???

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Lady Tiaa
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2004, 05:08:00 »

No clams do not have tails, but evolution has been at work...giving these ones tails so that they will have a better chance at survival in their new homes. I will change the carbon dioxide, and although the digesting it's body parts is going against its survival....ummm....okay I guess I'll change it if it bothers you that much. Your instructions about the time aren't really clear. Why shouldn't the time be described almost exactly...what can I use instead of seconds...?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2004, 05:21:00 »

Well, I think, that small watches are very precious and rare, if invented at all, so HOW do your researcher want to messure the lenght of the copulation, just by counting out loud? That would give quite a nice error, which is certainly as big as five seconds. So giving such an exact number is nonsense, and it doesn't matter, if they mate for 35 or 50 seconds. Just say something like: the time of the actual mating takes place in just a few moments (or: a matter of seconds, but I think, the use of seconds is not very far spread in middle ages, people don't live in such timespans)

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2004, 13:56:00 »

comments in other colour

Single Clam- Earth Eater, Sand Clam, Behemoth Clam
Three or More- Pod
Young- Clam

Basic Overview of the Beast
The Earth Eater, known also as the Sand Clam, is a rare breed of clam, which has become accustomed to life deep within the scorching desert sands. These creatures can grow to a height of 3 peds (maybe say how long they can grow) and the average Eater weighs over 8 pygges. Eaters are found mostly in southeastern Aeruillin, but they have been seen in the southwest as well.

Appearance
The Earth Eater is one of the largest land animals in all of Aeruillin. It is often seen as a mere myth to those of the northern port cities who have never lived in the deserts. But to those tribes who have lived in the merciless deserts they know that these creatures are powerful forces to be reckoned with. They look almost exactly like clams found in the seas and oceans, except for the fact that they are many times larger. Mature Eaters weigh anywhere from 8 to 10 pygges and can be as tall as 3 peds. Their length from the beginning of their bodies to their heavy, and dangerously sharp tails is usually about 2.5 peds. In 50 years it can grow to be more than 1.5 peds across. Eaters come in a variety of dull colors, from light grays to dark blacks and there are dull brown Eaters as well. (when you say they look like clams i picture a big shelled thing under the sand...but when you give the description i more picture something like a small version of a spice worm from Dune)

Earth Eaters do not have the tongues that their ocean counterparts do. Instead they have tubes that act as filters. The tube is round and hollow in the inside. It has a hole in the opening and a hole at the ending, which is where the eater's anus is. The tube is rather elastic and can stretch out about 1 ped from the eater's mouth. This tube sucks in sand and anything above the sand; humans, elves, and other animals alike. The tube then pushes the items into the eater's digestive system, where it pulls out whatever nutrients, moister(moisture), or meat it needs. Then the wastes and the sand are dumped out of the eater's anus, located under the armored tail. Any oxygen absorbed is sent down another smaller tube that is attached to the main tube. That small tube leads into the huge respiratory system of the eater, carbon dioxide is then spat out of the anus as well.

The Earth Eaters can use their massive tails to propel themselves forward. It takes a lot of energy to do this, so the earth eaters hardly move. But when they need to capture an unsuspecting creature or if they need oxygen they can push their heavy body out of the sand. The tail is also used to dig into the sand. It only moves in up and down motions, so it cannot be used to swipe at anything. But if someone is unlucky enough to stand behind the eater the force of its tail will crush him or her.

Special Abilities
These creatures have a very thick layer of skin, which has hardened and acts as a protective armor. This makes the eater very difficult to kill. It takes the Tiraelhon many sharp axes to cut into this creatures hide.

The earth eaters are also known for being able to hold their breaths for an immense amount of time. It is necessary for these creatures to be able to do this because it is unknown when they may get any oxygen if they dig to (too)deep in the sand.

The earth eaters are able to use a special attack against their foes. But this attack works only if their attacker is behind them. The earth eater can spew its waste products at its enemies, plus the high amount of carbon dioxide they expel with their waste could cause dizziness, or could be terminal. With the waste comes any bones, hair, claws, teeth, or other things that the eater’s stomach was unable to digest. So being "spat at" by these creatures could be a very disgusting situation.

Territory
Earth Eaters are only found in Aeruillin. These creatures have been seen in other places around Caelereth, but this is often because they have been brought there. They do not live in any bodies of water because they would drown if they went in the water. But they can be found near them. They often choose places with soft sand, or fertile areas, and eaters will usually bury themselves no deeper than 3 to 5 peds under the sand. A sign that earth eaters live, or have lived in an area is to look at the soil. If the soil looks healthy, and plants grow without ale(ale?  i didn't think plants needed alcohol to grow :)), that means that the soil is just naturally good, or that the amounts of carbon dioxide expelled by these creatures and their waste products have contributed to making the soil very fertile.

Habitat/Behavior
Earth Eaters are sluggish, massive powerhouses that move very little unless provoked. They spend most of their seven hour days digging deep into the sand with their massive tails and feeding on the nurtients and any other organisms in the sands.

These creatures are often found near bodies of water, or other moist areas. They do not need it to live, but it helps to keep them cool in the hot sands. Eart Eaters(Earth Eaters) are highly territorial and often live in groups of no more than three. Those three that live together are often many peds apart and hardly ever come into contact unless they are all heading towards a source of water, food, or unless they are breeding. The female eaters are often the ones who seem to lead the pod. It is rather difficult to study these subterrainian behemoths, but from what many researchers have gathered the largest female eater will often emit a certain scent from her tube that will attract all the others towards her. This scent is generally used for mating but if the pod needs to move the female will use it.

If the area in which an earth eater lives become too dry they will dig their way to the top, which often takes a day or two. If they cannot make it in time and they are completely dried out, the earth eater will die instantly. Seeing as how these creatures are slow the mortality rate in eaters trying to reach the surface is 3 out of 5.(instantly dying seems a bit quick...you mentioned above that they didn't need water to live and yet suddenly they will die instantly without it?  either make them dependent on water or explain why the Eater needs to move out of dry sand...as well maybe you can make them die over the span of several hours...instead of instantly...)

Diet
The Sand Clam eat practically any vegetable matter. Leaves, grass, reeds, roots, flowers, fruits, bark and even soil if the mineral content is high. They do so through the tube that serves many purposes for this creature. Eaters have been known to catch large and small animals in their tubes and many have found the bones of elves or humans hidden tightly within this creature's feces. The earth eater must eat up to five times its body weight in food each week. If they do not accomplish this then their body will start to digest its own internal organs to make up for the loss in food. (maybe make it that they digest muscles (humans do that) or something before moving on to their more important organs...this could tie in with the dying mentioned above due to dry sand)

Water is important for the eaters, but not too important. They can go up to two weeks without any water. (OK here's some more contradiction...first you say they don't need water to live...then you say if the sand is too dry they need to get out within 5 days...then you say they can go for 2 weeks without water...maybe it's just me but these seem kinda contradictory)  After that point they must refill, often having to travel about twelve peds just to find a fresh source of water. These sources can even include the resources of humans and elves. Dead sand clams have been seen in the middle of settlements with water bins knocked over around them. Obviously these creatures were too late.

Mating
Female earth eaters are sexually mature at 25 years of age. Once they reach maturity they often leave their pod in search of a mate and emit a scent along their path. This scent enhances a male eater's sexual drive and causes them to follow that trail relentlessly until they find the female. Once the female is found the male spews his waste products over her back. After this is done he moves towards her, his tail pushing him all the way. Once he has the front tip of his shell at her sexual organ, located just below her anus, he turns all the way around. This turning usually takes up to half a bell, but it is worth it because it is not common for eaters to find each other easily. Once his anus is to hers his sexual organ slides out under the armor plate and they copulate for a brief thirty-fifty seconds.

Afterwards the female lets out a very deep grunting noise and begans to fan the male away with her tail. She stores the sperm in a sac in her organ, not yet allowing her eggs to be fertilize(fertilized). She will check out all of her prospects before finally choosing a mate. A female eater usually goes through this five times every three months.(what do you mean exactly by this?  does she store the sperm in different pouches for different male eaters or does she reject eaters that approach her?  i got the impression that the instant they see each other then mating occurs...)

Gestation takes up to 25 months, the single egg growing in the female, creating a bubble on the outside of her anus. During this time the female is highly vulnerable, she is a lot more tired and moves around a lot less. She also does not go underground during this period. The roughness of the sand could rupture the sac and she would loss the egg and a lot of necessary bodily fluids.

At the end of the 25 months the sac is the size of a 5 yr. old human child balled up in a fetal position. The female uses her tube to push her heavy body at an upwards angle and uses it to scratch her sac against the sand, but she only does this just enough so that it creates a small tear on it. She then begins to push, first out comes the thickened fluids in the form of a watery bag. Soon after this comes out a tiny clam, of a beautiful white color falls out onto the sands. The mother then turns around, which as stated above takes up to half a bell and leaves the newborn clam vulnerable to predators. Once she is facing her offspring she places it in her mouth by applying suction on it with her tube and then placing it in a once hollow part of it's massive head.

That part of the shell, which was once hollow, has begun to fill up with a thick, milk-like fluid, which the clam will feed upon for 3 years. While it is feeding it has gills and the tail is vertical instead of horizontal, giving the young clam the ability to swim in its own food. Once the 3 years have passed the clam is spat out and left to live on its own. On average the earth eaters are only half of their size by this time. Only 4 out of 7 of these abandoned clams make it to see adulthood. On average Earth Eaters will also live to be up to 135 years.

(ok some quick comments on gestation...she can't go under the earth for 2 years?  what happens to predators and the like?  what's her defence set up?  i think one of these eaters just sitting on top of the sand could be a fairly easy target (except for the tough hide))

Ok that's that...all in all a good entry...i tried to catch any spelling mistakes i could but i may have missed some...as for my comments take them more as guidelines then anything...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2004, 19:05:00 »

I think these look like very creative beasts.. although I agree with Talia that I'd 'lose' the word  "clam" to describe them.  More like Dune sandworms, indeed, although they don't necessarily remind me of those.

I'm just a bit puzzled  :veryconfused   by what seems like a contradiction between the different ways in how you describe their habitat... first, they live in a desert area, but you say the soil should be rich, and you also say that they need to be near bodies of water.  

All animals need water to survive, yes, but maybe they can extract what they need from deep within the 'soil', or from the tough desert plants, or perhaps they are exclusively coastal beasts who can ingest salt water and filter it without difficulty?  Just an idea...  ;)  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2004, 20:35:00 »

*pokes tiaa*

you still around? :)

Tyrian Jadewalker

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent