Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jumoples  (Read 4097 times)
Sammykins

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 21 April 2004, 16:27:00 »

Pronounced: Chew---Mope---Less

Basic Overview of the Beast

Considered a monster these beasts are actually quite friendly though they look quite frightening and can be dangerous. Few plain dwarves have been brave enough to actually own these animals, and ride these animals and those few have figured out that these monsters, while dangerous, are quiet friendly and useful. These beasts stand about 3 peds at the shoulder, with a downward sloping back ending in hindquarters that are 2 1/3 ped from the ground. Primarily cream colored they can very with age to darker shades of grey. Their faces look like a cat's, without the fur coating, very lightly coated on the face, they have more whisker like hair then fur.

They have long thin forelegs, a semi short body and hind legs shorter then the forelegs. They have long ears which remain normally pressed to the skull and shoulders. They can run extremely fast, fight with their forelegs and live primarily on the in Nybelmar, though they can be found elsewhere with their "masters."

Male Jumoples have long, thick ebony tusks which often reach lengths of over 4 peds and are shed yearly after mating season.

Appearance
Standing about 3 ped at the shoulder Jumoples have a sharply downward sloping back which ends 2 1/3 peds above the ground. Their length is no longer then 2 ped and they are tailless. Jumoples can come in a variety of colors depending on their habitat, but primarily are cream colored with very light, white fur sporatically spotting their body.

Jumoples gave long ears, long legs and short round faces. Their eyes rest somewhat angeled to the sides of the heads and their ears tend to rest back against their shoulders. They apparently have no neck between their shoulders and head.

Their legs are long and thin and even frail looking but they are far from frail. These animals weigh around 4 pgyee, most of which is the skeleton. Alone the skeleton weighs about 2 1/2 pygee. The bones in the animals legs are stronger  then many other animals' bones, though not strong enough to avoid breakage under severe circumstances and other normal ailments such as sprains.

Special Abilities
When fighting, they spring back to their hind legs, striking their front ones at their Foe. Slashing with sharp hooves, beating and crushing bones.

Jumoples can make a ear piercing screaming nose which, if subject to the sound too long can cause ear damage, bleeding in the ears and even death due to hemeraging of the ear canal and or brain. The sound however, bothers their own ears as well, not to the damaging extent that it harms a two-leggers- but they do not like the sound regardless.

Jumoples can run up to 70 strals per hour through all terrains due to their over-exaggerated, flexible forelimbs and short strong hind limbs. Though they can run very quickly, these animals can not climb very well nor jump. Their strong limbs are not overly flexible.

Due to their light fur, they dont like the extreme cold, or extreme heat and their flesh can sunburn within a few hours in the sun if left dry. However, when wet their flesh makes its own sunblock, and can help it avoid the sunburns for a few hours.

Territory
Jumoples are found only on the continent of Nybelmar

Habitat/Behavior
Jumpoles are active both during the day and night. They feed  16 hours per day and sleep 4-5hours a day, ussually standing up but rarely laying on their sides. They drink daily, but can go without water for up to a week. Bulls (males) drink up to

A Matriarchal clan society, th basic nits consist of a mother with her still dependant offspring and grown female daughters with their offspring. Males live in seperate groups often called bachelor herds, or alone. Being non-territorial their mating sucess depends on size and weapons. Re-growth of tusks  continues into old age making seniors the biggest tusked, and the most often to breed.

Herds of Cow (females)
Nine to eleven members in a normal herd through there have been noted larger herds which split into two seperate herds but still occupy the same home range and associate half the time. Called "bond groups" on average there are 28 related members in 2-3 famiy units. These units normally stay within 1 stral of the other.

Disturbances cause the herd to cluster around the Matriarch(the biggest female) and the calves flock to the middle. The matriarch decides whether the herd stays or flees, and if something happens to her the rest will hang around her in a blind panic. Rather then abandon her, they ussually stay at her side even if it means their death.

Cooperative nature is shown in the attempts to raise and support a fallen group member, one on each side. Under normal circumstances as a matriarch becomes old and ill she is replaced by the next oldest cow and she will usually leave to group or is abandoned.

Bull Herds-(Male groups)
Males leave the cow herds at 12 years.They tend to wander alone or associate with other bulls, typically in herds of 2-12. Bulls wander further then cows during periods of sexual inactivity. Very old bulls are the most sedentary, living out their last days where the grass is in water so they can still consume quantites needed as their last set of molars wear out.

Diet
Jumoples eat all types of vegitation when adults, and when they are young they feed primarily on regurgatated grasses from the females in the herd. Jumoples have been known to swallow rocks and stones as well to help with their digestive system tear apart the leaves and stems of the plants eaten.

When around females in heat males do not eat. Instead the spend their fat reserves fighting and breeding.

Mating
Most mating and births occur near seasons of rain. The males grow their tusks within a few weeks and they eat nearly double what they would eat normally. First conception at 10-11 years, gestation 22 months with an interval between calves of 4-9 years. Bulls begin competing reproductivly at around the age of 25, but normally bigger bulls over 35 monopolize matings.

Usages
The first travelers to Nybelmar came across shed tusks and have been using the thick bone like structures to make jewlery as well as many other things.

Because most Santharians know little about the continent, Jumoples have gone for the most part unnoticed save the myths and legends regarding them.

Edited by: Sammykins at: 4/30/04 23:26
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2004, 12:50:00 »

Sammykins, you are still thinking in feet? I'm using peds in RL already - got some weird looks, I admit!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Sammykins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2004, 12:59:00 »

Yesh... I still think in Feet... LOL.... Like I said.. Ill update that info when I go through and finish editing.... My Final.

:thumbup  

Get A Taste Of Religion

Lick a Witch!

Save a Cow... Eat a Vegitarian.

"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings."

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2004, 15:53:00 »

Are those from the Hansen movie "Dark Crystal"?

Dirg'mystrume of the Helvet'ine Kuglim.  
Lord of the North

Ashen Gryphon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2004, 17:24:00 »

The Dark Crystal... And... Yes... Somewhat...

MY Version of them....

As I am not done yet, the differences are not quiet see-able yet

What You Looking At?...What? You Want More Ashen? Click On The Pic Dingo!
Save a cow... Eat a Vegitarian.
Vegitarian- Old Indian word for bad hunter

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2004, 03:16:00 »

Are you done here already, Ashen, so that we can check? Don't forget to post a message at the end of the thread saying that you're done;)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Roguehammer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2004, 22:15:00 »

Thosea aren't something you'll run into in your everyday zoo. They look kind of bony to be useful as anything, but Ill bet it's just cuz they got an exoskeleton and that's one of your changes, or hard covering instead of fur.

"There was no Peace, no Security, nay, there was only Hatred and Misery and Pain. Before Roguehammer."

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2004, 10:31:00 »

I'm pretty sure that she's gone again Art.

Dirg'mystrume of the Helvet'ine Kuglim.  
Lord of the North

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2010, 22:38:10 »

Does anyone know what happened to this entry? I was searching for Nybelmar fauna and this came up...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2010, 20:57:18 »

Got filed under 'extinct species' i think..

and begone with you, foul Threadomancer! Leave the dead be!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2010, 21:43:05 »

These look interesting, with some tweaks... Would anyone mind my claiming them and trying to get them on the site? Considering that this was last edited almost six years ago, I don't think the owner would mind.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2010, 23:35:39 »

I'd say go for it, Irid. There is not much there to update anyway. Might as well have it completed and up.  thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2010, 23:56:40 »

I'd say go for it, Irid. There is not much there to update anyway. Might as well have it completed and up.  thumbup

Except for language  rolleyes

... and some other stuff
« Last Edit: 18 February 2010, 00:00:32 by Irid alMenie » Logged

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2010, 04:02:34 »

It's good if ideas that were pretty far developed can be picked up and finally be brought to fruition. And it also doesn't hurt at all if someone else gives it his/her spin while reworking it, making sure that it also becomes the baby of the one who dives into the entry and revives it. So yup, would be great of you can do it, Irid!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2010, 07:15:37 »

I have to say that those are the ugliest thingies I've ever seen in my whole entire life *g

We are the good ones!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]