Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kaal Bloodhounds of the Murmillions  (Read 4887 times)
Amera Tristis

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 10 July 2004, 13:09:00 »

Kaal Bloodhounds of the Murmillions

Category: Domestic Animals >> Dogs

Overview:
The Murmillion people have hunted the wargs since they defined their territory. While their time-perfected skill and fine-crafted bladeaxes kill swiftly, the beastly wargs challenged everything they had, and so this breed of bloodhound was bred to be used in combination with their spears and arrows. Kaal bloodhounds are well suited to a cold alpine climate, with their large build and thick coat, and have acute senses of sight, smell, and hearing. They are tenacious and vicious creatures, whose loyalty is hard to gain, and unpredictable once gained. These hounds have also been used in warfare by the Murmillions.

Appearance:
These are large dogs; from head to paw, Kaal Bloodhounds are around two fores and a palmspan in height, and from snout-tip to tail-tip they are around a ped and a fore. The coat can be grey, yellow or black, but black dogs, called Purehounds, are most prized by the Murmillions, as black is considered by them to be a pure colour. The hounds' fur is long and sleek, to protect them from the cold of the Nightvalleys. Their small, round eyes glow red in the darkness of Nybelmar's forests.
These hounds have wolf blood, and it shows. They have a much larger build than the other domesticated hounds of Caelereth, attributed to an extra layer of fat and muscle. They have pointed snouts with long, sharp teeth for ripping and tearing meat, and claws for gripping their prey.However, the hounds' faces are leaner than wolves', their fur coarser and shaggier, and their build slightly finer. Their long, muscly legs enable them to run fast over long distances.
The Murmillions give their hounds wide black leather collars, sometimes studded with pieces of iron. These collars serve not only a decorative but a practical purpose: they prevent the dogs' throats from being ripped at by sharp warg teeth. The collars of younger dogs may be fitted with leads to keep them in control. Also, some of the wealthier hunters provide their dogs with specially fitted cuirasses protecting their stomach and back.

Special Abilities:
Kaal Bloodhounds are the ideal hunting dogs. As they are descendants of wolves, the hounds have extremely acute senses of hearing, sight and smell. They can feel vibrations in the earth nearly a league away through their paws. Their key strength lies in their incredible strength and their sharp teeth for tearing flesh.
They have also been used in war, as shock troops, very effectively. Tenacious, naturally vicious creatures, they attack their victim's throat and won't let go. Chances are, if you're surrounded by Kaal Bloodhounds, you're about to die a very bloody death.

Territory:
The bloodhounds of Ehebion have been bred by the Murmillions, a people who nowadays live in the foothills. They are accustomed to the cold temperatures. There was brief experimentation in the rade of these skilled hunting dogs for regions with problems with bigger prey, but the hounds proved to be too difficult to move and train.

Behavior:  
The hounds are vicious creatures. As pups, they are extremely energetic, stubborn and difficult to train. A Murmillion village will usually have at least one man or woman who specializes in the breeding of the dogs, although owners must, through a combination of will, patience and strength, train the hounds themselves; as this is the only way a hound will be loyal to its owner.
Their one disadvantage is that the hounds can be uncooperative and competitive with others of their species, making it difficult to take more than one hound on a hunt.

Diet:
Meat, meat, and more meat. The Kaal Bloodhounds have voracious appetites. Their owners provide them with warg or wolf meat as a reward for a kill, but mostly they feed upon the entrails and tough parts of cattle and sheep. They also like milk and cream, an unusual taste in a dog.

Mating:
Like sticks to like; hounds rarely if ever mate with another species of dog. There are several hound breeders among the Murmillion people, who breed prime hounds for maximum strength, agility, and endurance. It is considered preferable to own a hound of a pure colour: grey, red, yellow, white, or best of all black.
Hounds are ready to mate at age three or four. They have a gestation period of three and a half months, and generally bear litters of two to five pups.

Usages:
The dogs were bred, first and foremost, to hunt the wargs, and while they hunt other prey as well (deer, wolf, bear, and even smaller rodents), they are most at home chasing after the fierce wargs.
They have been used in battle, too: Kaal Bloodhounds can be used for tracking or even in the front lines, as men are easier to bring down then wargs.
The dogs have also been used in an arena-type sport popular with the Murmillions: a dog is pitted against another in closed combat, or sometimes against fiercer prey - wargs have been kept in captivity for just this purpose. The hound breeders sometimes do this to test their skill against one another.

Origins:
The bloodhounds' name, Kaal, comes from the man who is said to have originally bred them, Kaal Farko, a Murmillion cursed from birth with a twisted foot. His defect made it impossible to run after the swift prey, or hunt it all, so he decided to contribute to the Murmillion hunting culture another way. Using his skill with handling animals, he bred the hunting hound from wolves and the rough dogs used as ratcatchers in Mumillion settlements. From what researchers have gathered, Kaal was greatly interested in canine breeding, the first of his tribe to be so. The dogs were the result of several experiments.
While at first many Murmillion hunters thought the idea of using a canine helper weak and cowardly, they grew to see the benefits of these dogs and the use of hunting hounds became widespread among the Murmillions.

Visit Tristis' Most Potente Poisons - "Because Some People Just  Need a Little Killing"

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/18/04 9:42
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2004, 17:43:00 »

Amera:  I don't have time to comment thoroughly and do this justice, but after reading only a couple of your entries, I had to take a moment and say that I really enjoy your writing style.  It's clear, detailed, with an overtone of wit and sophistication that to me has the true 'Compendium' flavour about it. :wave   You are most welcome, and I look forward to seeing what else you have to contribute!

Regards from the bard-in-Korea,
Judith

"You should never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth."

Henrik Ibsen, AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2004, 18:25:00 »

Good entry ;)  I also noticed that you did a "little research" before writing it, making this beast to be quite suited for Murmillions' style. I have nothing to criticize but only one question and a suggestion.

The suggestion first: in the territory section instead of "The bloodhounds live where the Murmillion people live, that is [...]" you could write "The bloodhounds live in Ehebion, the Murmillion lands, that is [...]". As in the later entries we are always refering to their lands under the name of "Ehebion" (our fault here, the tribe entry was written first and it would probably need a minor update in the future).

Now the question: I was just curious if the "Kaal" name was just something you made up on the spot or you have a more precise meaning in mind? In any case, it sounds Murmillion enough ;)

I hope we will see some more writings from you.

Amera Tristis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2004, 19:47:00 »

Judith: Thank you very much! In my readings of the site, I've always admired your writings, and praise from you is praise indeed. The encouragement of a veteran to a newb is always very inspiring. ^_^

Smith: Updated the hounds to live in Ehebion. As for the question, I tried to find something harsh and dark and hunter-sounding, but I don't really have a set meaning... I was thinking that maybe it was the name of the man who had tamed the first bloodhound.

I hope to continue to write for the site as life allows... I've just finished writing a prayer to the twelve. At very least it would be nice to fulfill member requirements.

See you around!  

Visit Tristis' Most Potente Poisons - "Because Some People Just  Need a Little Killing"

Edited by: Amera Tristis at: 7/12/04 21:43
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2004, 18:11:00 »

Oh, it's an excellent phoneme!  Please - put it into the Lore section:

"These massive dogs take their name, or so it is said, from the man who first trained and bred them for tracking.  Though his family name has not come down to us, Kaal was believed to have been a part-time mercenary, part-time boar hunter..."

etc. etc. :D

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Amera Tristis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2004, 21:28:00 »

Thanks again Judith! Edited in.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2004, 14:16:00 »

Checked it as well now, Amera, and have to say: You're writing as if you'd be already here in Santharia for quite a while, and this is really remarkable. Everything is on the right place, all sections covered, references added in whenever appropriate, and aside from that I couldn't even find a misspelling upon reading it again - simply very well done! :D    - I hereby reward you solemnly with the legendary Arrow of Integration, Amera - may this be the first of many more of your entries to go up on the site;)    

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/13/04 23:16

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Amera Tristis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2004, 16:07:00 »

Hooray! First entry! I am grounded.

Also, gee, thanks, Mister Federkiel. :broadgrin  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2004, 20:23:00 »

Bravo Amera!  :clap   Kudos indeed... :hug  (gives her a welcome hug and hands her a goblet of spiced Arti-wine, Santhalans' tipple of choice...)

Now don't drink too much; we want another entry ASAP (Artimidor's Suggested Artistic Presentation) from you...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2004, 10:37:00 »

I just noticed, Amera, that you didn't include a Usages section. Though you mention the hounds' usages throughout the entry, it might be good to add a few sentences here as well, just to have it summarized.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2004, 12:03:00 »

Sorry to be so late, All my stuff are just suggestions to maybe flesh out some things here and there. May I also suggest to add a usage section and maybe a few words on how the Murmillions raise them?
Don't worry, I'll be really picky so you're free to ignore stuff that don't suit your idea of the dogs! :)

Overview:
The Murmillion people have hunted the wargs since they defined their territory. While their time-perfected skill and fine-crafted bladeaxes kill swiftly, the actual tracking is usually performed by their trusted bloodhounds.I don't think anyone would hunt a warg/bear/lion/fill in nasty predator with a sword but with hunting weapons. in this case the Murmillions bred dogs strong enough to kill a warg Kaal bloodhounds are well suited to a cold alpine climate, with their large build and thick coat, and have acute senses of sight, smell, and hearing. They are tenacious and vicious creatures, whose loyalty is hard to gain. Once it is gained, however, they remain at their master's side till death.sounds as if they would be in general good guard dogs? These hounds have also been used in warfare by the Murmillions.

Appearance:
These are large dogs; from head to paw, Kaal Bloodhounds are around two fores and a palmspan in height, and from snout-tip to tail-tip they are around a ped and a fore. The coat is grey, red, black, yellow or white,don't know, this sounds very varied, given that dogs were bred for a purpose and so are these they should be more uniform.?Maybe pick two colours and keep pure black being special. but black dogs, called Purehounds, are most prized by the Murmillions, as black is considered by them to be a pure colour. The hounds' fur is long and sleek, to protect them from the cold of the Nightvalleys. Their small, round eyes glow red in the darkness of Nybelmar's forests.
These hounds have wolf blood, and it shows.Don't know, maybe some special features that make them stand out from wolves would be nice because wargs are llike wolves on steroids themselves. Thus a dog bred against them maybe should look slightly different? They have a much larger build than the other domesticated hounds of Caelereth, attributed to an extra layer of fat and muscle. They have pointed snouts with long, sharp teeth for ripping and tearing meat, and sharp clawsWhat do they need claws for? ;)  A strong jaw should suffice, dogs and wolves don't bring down their prey with claws. Maybe their claws are formed in a way that gives them better grip?. Their long, muscly legs enable them to run fast over long distances.
The Murmillions give their hounds wide black leather collars, sometimes studded with pieces of iron. These collars serve not only a decorative but a practical purpose: they prevent the dogs' throats from being ripped at by sharp warg teeth.wargs are mean, maybe these dogs wear  some kind of leather cuirass covering neck and sides so they're better protected in general? A though would be also that they also have some kind of 'handle'(?) there because they're sometimes hard to control and go for their prey at once. Just an idea?

Special Abilities:
Kaal Bloodhounds are the ideal hunting dogs.when they'rebred to hunt wargs they're a bit more than hunting dogs, hunting dogs generally only need to be endurant and fast, not as strong as these are. As they are descendants of wolves, the hounds have extremely acute senses of hearing, sight and smell. They can feel vibrations in the earth a league away through their paws. They have needle-like claws and sharp teeth for tearing flesh.
Kaal Bloodhounds can also track very well, are fast and relatively agile.
They have also been used against poorly armed militia troops in war very effectively.Generalize a bit maybe. As good guards dogs they might be generally useful to some Murmillion army at the end of the Korweyn Empire and because of their strength and aggressiveness were known to be used against humans as well Tenacious, naturally vicious creatures, they attack their victim's throat and won't let go. Chances are, if you're surrounded by Kaal Bloodhounds, you're about to die a very bloody death.

Territory:
The bloodhounds live in Ehebion, where the Murmillion people live; that is, in the foothills of the Burning Mountains, in the hills now called the Nightvalleys.Do you mind to restructure that sentence a bit, it sounds a bit quirky. Maybe more along the lines The bloodhounds of Ehebion have been bred by the Murmillion people who in nowadays mainly live..." They are accustomed to the cold temperatures. There was brief experimentation in the trade of these skilled hunting dogs, but they were too well accustomed to the Nightvalleys to be much use in other habitats.Hmmm... I'd think it more likely that most people like nice dogs and the kingdoms to the south don't have a warg problem. I could imagine that it is pure luxuary for someone to import these dogs. Too much problems to hold in cities, to train them, to prevent them from eating up your servants.... ;)

Behavior:
The hounds are vicious creatures. As pups, they often play-fight, learning even through play tactics and fighting skills. that doesn't sound vicious. All dogs do that. Maybe they're just more energetic than others...They are tenacious, stubborn and difficult to train. A Murmillion village will usually have at least one man or woman who specializes in the breeding and training of the dogs, although owners can sometimes, through a combination of will, patience and strength, train the hounds themselves; this results in a much more loyal hound.maybe make that only for warg hunting? I don't see how a dog should obey to someone who did not train them. esspecially when it is a very stubborn breed.
The bloodhounds are much more willing to cooperate with those of their own species, however. Hounds work very well together, and as it generally takes more than one of them to take down prey, this is a stroke of luck.or good breeding+training

Diet:
Meat, meat, and more meat. The Kaal Bloodhounds have voracious appetites. Their owners provide them with warg or wolf meat as a reward for a kill, but mostly they feed upon the entrails and tough parts of cattle and sheep. They also like milk and cream, an unusual taste in a dog.

Mating:
Like sticks to like; hounds rarely if ever mate with another species of dog. There are several hound breeders among the Murmillion people, who breed prime hounds for maximum strength, agility, and endurance. It is considered preferable to own a hound of a pure colour: grey, red, yellow, white, or best of all black.
Hounds are ready to mate at age three or four. They have a gestation period of three and a half months, and generally bear litters of two to five pups.

Origins:
The bloodhounds' name, Kaal, comes from the man who is said to have originally bred themdon't know, maybe Kaal should be the region where it comes from? Make the man a known hunter for some Murmillion nobiliy who got the idea to bred such dogs to better deal with wargs. Without this special reason a much smaller dog would suffice for hunting, a gentle: -->>: jawdrop *stares at Smith* A WHAT?!? Err... sorry... Murmillion cursed from birth with a twisted foot. His defect made it impossible to run after the swift prey, and, using his soft touch with animals, he bred the hunting hound from wolves and the rough dogs used as ratcatchers in Mumillion settlements. Unfortunately, much about Kaal is lost forever to us researchers, including his family name. can we for once make such a guy known? ;)
While at first many hunters thought the idea of using a canine helper weak and cowardly, they grew to see the benefits of these dogs and the use of hunting hounds became widespread on Nybelmar, though most of all by the Murmillions.that last sentence is confusing. The bloodhound is exclusively Murmillion - as you state somewhere above - also the purpose of the dog is different from normal hunting dogs and why would a Murmillion evade the possibility to get a job done without risking his life? Ok, he would not care if he risks his life but when it comes to wargs it sounds better to use dogs to fight them than getting close and personal oneself. Also, Korweynites don't care what funny ideas Murmillions have ... that's kind of a cornerstone to understand Nybelmarian history. :)

I was wondering, maybe the Murmillions train these dogs in arenas against wargs. To condition the dogs for their special prey and for public amusement?  Maybe such animal fights are what the Murmillions use in place of gladiators and stuff. living in considerable wild countryhood they might do so against various prey, from deers to wolves and wargs to bears. Also the professional breeders could prove that way how good their bloodhounds are. Just a final idea.

Very fine entry, Amera, my proposals are only to give a last edge to everything and maybe one or two additional details. In general very nice.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2004, 15:55:00 »

lol, now that was an unforgiving read

Ok, about the hunting weapons: eventually Murmillions made a sport from warg hunting. And it is a widespread sport among them. Even the peasants have some passage rites involving wild wargs. Also, judging Murmillions' style, I see no problem in imagining one going for a warg with just a dagger in his hands (not much chances of success though). Generally I guess they can use arrows, spears whatever. The hounds come in handy here (especially when they are trained to NOT kill the warg only by themselves).

Now an idea that looked quite appealing was the gladiator-like Kaal hound. Since I already used a couple of times the term "wild warg" I guess a "domesticated" version could be present in Ehebion. "Domesticated" meaning exactly this: kept in captivity (perhaps even in some restricted forests) and moved all around the place for various shows with the bloodhounds. I figure though that this kind of shows would disappear after the fall of Ehebion, and eventually if they are to be found, that can be only in the peninsula. Mosaics, tapestries and other such stuff could be found all over the south Nybelmar, depicting scenes with wargs and kaals (as I don't see how those corrupted Legates can resist out there without one of their favourite distractions ;) )

Hmmm,,, also if I think more I agree that these Kaal hounds are a too specialized species to be used for other activities than warg-hunting or occasional raids through some poor villages during the wars. And while a kaal could be loyal to "me", its trainer, I guess it would be a bit of a hazard to keep such a bloody beast too close to people, as a guard dog (though there are perfectly possible maniacs surrounding their manors with Kaals lol).

Looks like the ball is in your field again Amera...

PS: "gentle" ey?... lol Actually I took the word as part of "gentleman" and that looked quite ok. I mean every Murmillion thinks of him as the perfect gentleman, no matter what others say, don't you think?

Amera Tristis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2004, 20:35:00 »

:nooo
Here I  was thinking I could get off my first entry with hardly any editing, being praised to perfection.

But thanks for the criticism, man. :D

I've edited most of it. (Adaptations to Koldar's requests are italicized).

I'll do origins and usages tomorrow. For now, I'm sleepy. Night night.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2004, 16:04:00 »

Well, at least you had proof that I really read it all, eh? ;)

I'll look at it again but from a fast sweep it sounds good!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2004, 01:57:00 »

:lol  Well, better late comments than no comments;)

Anyway, update time is this Sunday's evening Central European Time, so if you can do the final adjustments during the weekend, Amera, then I'm sure the Bloodhounds will still find their way into the update:D  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]