Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Skaurgere (need confimation!)  (Read 3979 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 24 June 2005, 15:51:00 »

Skaugere (also called Plainsbeasts) are large, broodish animals prowling the vast expanses of the Nybelmar plains. Gruff in nature and quick-tempered, they are dangerous to tame. But they are far brighter than their hairy lumbering exterior lets on and once "broken" can easily be ridden and can pull carts. The loud guttural growls and roars they produce carry well across the plains.

description.
Skaurgere stand around a ped and half at the shoulders. They regularly walk on all fours, but can rise to a standing posture of nearly three peds if threatened. Captive specimens can weigh about five pygges, but several claims have been made that wild plainsbeasts can easily measure up to 2.5 peds and nearly 10 pygge- though no wild specimen has been brought down near that size.
Black, beady eyes sit shallow on a wide, heavy-browed face. The muzzle is short and a large black nose is on the end of it. The males are in possesson of a fur-ruff around the neck and it extends  into both the chest and shoulders, while females ususally only posses a ridge of fore-length hair along their spine to the shoulders. Their arms/front legs are longer than their back legs and they are deeply muscled. The paws of these creatures are massive- a fully extended paw can cover the face of a man easily. Retractable claws hide within their digits- if a skaurgere spends much of their time on four legs, these claws can be very dull. Their spine is short and rigid, leading into hips that are relatively wide for quadripeds, giving them a short but brisk step. Their tail is thick and stumpy, about two fores in length.
They regularly range from a sandy blonde to a very dark brown, and only on the legs and tail are there any stripes- most often of a darker hue than their base color. The manes of Skaurgere are often the same color of these stripes. Black-hued plainsbeasts (called ur-gour, a corrupted form of the strash word for demon) are considered evil by many tribal peoples (it is believed the Taeanrhim started this myth) and killed on sight. Living white Skaurgere are very rare in the wild, but many can be seen in captivity.

Special Abilities
As stated, the Plainsbeasts are quite intelligent, at least as smart as a horse, though more closely resembling an untrained dog. Their large size and speed make them a threat on the plains.

Territory
Skaurgere prowl the plains of the whole of Nybelmar, more prominent in the western half than the eastern half.

Habitat/Behavior
Skaurgere roam the plains and savannas of Nybelmar. Some have been sighted in hilly brushland and sparse forests, but these reportings regularly indicate a much smaller beast- perhaps a relative of this beast. More reasearch must be made into these "smaller" woodland beasts.
Skaurgere are known to be vocal animals.They regularly make low, rumbling noises, and growling is quite common- though not in the context of displeasure, it tends to function more as an acknowledgement of presence.  Skaurgere roars are loud and carry for many leagues. Mother skaurgere make short chirplike sounds to keep babies (called Skaur) within short range.
These plainsbeasts are not normally territorial, not to other animals. The do not mind keeping company around other animals or even minding the sentient races too much, but once the nosing of the necks and grunting occurs ( it is a sign that the herd is preparing to hunt) it's best to leave the vicinity in a quick fashion.

Skaurgere do seem to become very violent in hunting and feeding of their kills, as well as with scavenging. They have no qualms about fighting for possession of the kill, and many of these beasts have scars across their flanks, shoulders and faces as a testament of getting to close to another's kill. This researcher has noted, however- females do not possess as much scars as males. It was observed that males will share the kill with females, but only one female- therfore females to not get attacked as often. It is also noted that shrotly after feeding, the male and female mate- though rarely producing offspring. If a female brings down an animal or finds a scavengable meal, she does not have preference- the strongest male (by successfully fighting off the others) shares the meal with her, and they mate thereafter.

Skaurgere also do not seem to have a problem with cannibalism- if a member of the herd dies, all will attempt to consume him- this is a rare instance when no fighting occurs. They will also attempt to kill a weakened or injured member of the herd- though only if the weakened or injured is visibly so.

Plainsbeasts regularly move in herds of 6-10 adults and their skaur. There is no visible leader, they seem to follow other herds of animals as they migrate the plains.

However, Skaurgere do not migrate all year long. When the temperatures get cool and winter comes, these beasts hibernate. The herd disperses (the first year Skaur stay with the mother) and they find places to bed down- usually by digging a hole in the side of a hill, or in the roots of an upturned tree. Some do move into the forests and find caves- this researcher assumes that the "Smaller" plainsbeasts reported are simply food-deprived beasts waking from their winter naps.
They sleep until early spring and form new herds, taking to the plains once again.

Diet
Skaurgere are omnivorous, though mostly ranging toward flesh. Their favorite form of food is meat- be it brought down by themselves or scavenging. They will also eat grasses and leaves for sustenance in lean times. Before hibernating, they hunt feverishly and consume everything within sight to store up fat for nourishment during their hibernating months.

Mating
As stated earlier, Skaurgere regularly mate, though only during the mating season will these animals be capable of producing offspring.  
These beasts fall into heat mid-summer and into early fall. This is the prime time to mate and produce offspring- and this is also the time of season when hunting occurs most often.
The mating process is very similar to the one stated above- the male will share a meal with the female, and it is given instinct that the pair will mate thereafter. However, there is a sense of display in the feeding suring the mating season- Males tend to roar violently several times during the meal, perhaps as a signal that he is aware that she is in heat and that she is his for the remainder of her season.
If another male chooses an already taken female, a battle usually ensues between the males- much like food-battles. The victor takes possession of the female in question, and the loser must choose another.
Females give birth towards the end of winter, just before the end of hibernation. Regularly, only skaur is born, but two skaur is not uncommon- usually of different fathers. At birth, the baby skaur weighs about two hebs, and cannot walk. The skaur latches on to a feeding teet, where he will stay until the mother awakens from hibernation. This allows the baby to develop, sheltered away from the world. After the hibernation is complete, the mother and her skaur (at this time, usually ranging between 5 and seven hebs) join up with other plainsbeasts and continue to roam the plains.
The following summer, she is incapable of having offspring- as in still in possession of a skaur, and while she may still mate, will not fall into heat until the next summer.
The skaur is considered mature at about two years.

This researcher has noted that white Skaur (usually not actually white, but in possession of a paler coat than average, though albinos have been raised in captivity) are rejected by the mother upon joining a herd. It is assumed that white skaur are seen as a hindrance to hunting- their white pelts stand out against the plains- and are abandoned by the mother. Trainers find these white babies the easiest to see and catch, and it is why they are so prominent in captivity.

Myth/Lore/Origin (Optional)
It is believed that the Taeanrhim established the Black Pelted Beast, chiefly named Ur'Gour, as Evil. In early times, when Ur'gour were more prominent, they were most often pack leaders or the most dominant beasts. Some researchers noted the Ur'gour was more prone to violence- it charged at observers and was found to hunt for pleasure, dragging down and killing beasts but not consuming them. This caused the Taeanrhim to believe that it was an agent of Co'or seeping into the natural world to turn others to chaos. As the Taeanrhim became more obsessed with the vanquishing of all Evil, these Ur-gour became easy targets, and were killed on sight. This tradition still lives on, with tribes of human and dwarven origin as well.

Usages (Optional)
They can be trained if either captured in their youth, or "Broken"- a process of dominating the beast through the use of ropes, bridles and harnesses, much like horses- only much more dangerous. Their pelts are thick and when washed, can be very soft. Some tribes use their pelts as blankets. Their flesh can also be consumed, it is leathery and tough but very nutritious. Plains-dwellers like to make stews of it.

researchers:
Bertrand D'Alba was a researcher and prowled West Nybelmar. He studied  amny things about West Nybelmar, including the Skaurgere and some of the material in this entry was from his book "The Extraordinary Journeys of Bertrand D'Alba".

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 9/3/05 9:25
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2005, 13:03:00 »

Ohhh, I like. An original animal.  I didn't find much wrong with it except a few grammer mistakes.  Sorry I didn't note them down as I was reading this, but I do remember one where you said much and it should be many.

As for a name that would be hard.  I am not up on Nybelmar that much but how about something like this.

Garnla'rhul
Termardra
Skaulgere

Probably not but there is something anyway.

In this life the old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, and the young know everything. —Anonymous

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2005, 14:01:00 »

Hm, Skaugere sounds nice.

The animal is meant to be a mix between a tiger and a bear. I was thinking of having the Ur-sound in there to tie it to a bearlike resemblance.

Maybe, Skaurgere?
I like the word Beast too, maybe more than one name?
*shrugs*

I added some info I didn't originally include.
As for grammar, let me know where it sucks in particular, and I'll ater it.

Edited by: Viresse  at: 6/24/05 22:24
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2005, 21:13:00 »

Uh, since I think most of the beastiary experts are having mucho fun at Santhmoot right now so feedback from them might be a little slow in forthcoming ;)   Anyway, excellent work as usual, Viresse, even though I'm no beastiary expert but looks like you covered a lot of details well like their habitat and diet and mating.

Generally, one question popped into my head when I was reading. Besides being trained to pull carts and such when captured, can the Skaugere be eaten as food as well?  

Edited by: Dala Valannia at: 6/27/05 5:13
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2005, 09:32:00 »

A mix between a tiger and a bear? :)  I first thought I was reading about a sort of hyena from hell lol

Anyway, the entry seems nice though I have two comments. First, I find it a bit intriguing the fact that these beasts are grazing and then from time to time they decide to hunt. Oh well, but it's a fantasy world after all.

Second, the myth part needs a bit more details. Perhaps you can tell us the story of how they came to be regarded as evil by the elves?

PS: that particular researcher might need a name :)  maybe an elf from Fullwanooth (with its texts found in the School of Ames)? I also mentioned an Anpagan explorer that was supposed to be famous - that is if you want to cross-reference - his name was Bertrand D'Alba and he wrote a "best-seller" about his travels in the west Nybelmar, so "anpaganly" called "The Extraordinary Journeys of Bertrand D'Alba" :P

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
?
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2005, 09:29:00 »

Which period does he belong to?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2005, 16:01:00 »

He's in the Void Sails entry (the one that claimed to have travelled inside one), but I mentioned no period. I guess he's definitely a "post-Year of Darkness" though.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2005, 11:02:00 »

@smith:
With the grazing thing,I wanted them to come off as bear-like, with the strong, viable instinct to hunt. I'll cut back on the grazing portion some- I do want that mean, bloody killer instinct, so if I have to pare back grazing to do so no problem.

I didn't mention anything about consuming the Skaurgere, mostly becuase I don't think many cultures on Our own planet eat the flesh of a carnivore. Save for bears and dogs.
Oh... okay. derr.
ne'ermind.

And I'd love to do a cross-reference. No problem.
Uhm- and the lore section I will clean up too.
anything else?

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2005, 10:31:00 »

would love some more comments, please.

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2005, 11:44:00 »

Is this a Santharian version of a buffalo?

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2005, 13:22:00 »

It's a mix between a bear and a tiger, (meat eater, hiberntes)with Buffalo-like qualities (massive land range, it's mingling with other animals, white cubs).  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2005, 13:23:00 »

anything else? I'm guessing not, so I'll mark as complete...

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2005, 16:38:00 »

no one's said anything. I'm assuming nothing's wrong.
there is a picture in the works.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2005, 21:09:00 »

Oh, dear - I've only just seen this, and I've just finished an hour of commenting and have to go to bed.  Can you wait a little longer (update isn't for a while now) and I'll gladly have a look at this interesting big beastie later, Vir?    

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2005, 13:54:00 »

I definitely plan to integrate this entry this update, as I think it's a really cool beast and there is nothing wrong with it. There are a few references to stuff, which isn't on the site yet, but this is for sure already in Viresse's head, so I don't really see a problem with that:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 9/1/05 21:56

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]