Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Digging up the dead  (Read 6814 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2003, 15:42:00 »

Well, Silfer, the Animate Dead spell is yours.
If you see that it needs revisions- so be it.

*nods slowly* That makes a LOT of sense, Arti. Your post was extrememly informative. I'll have to note this thread and those words...

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Caelereth Administrator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2003, 16:38:00 »

I am not talking aobut my spell, i am talking aobut general things. My spell can stay as it is, but only if we agree on approxiamte durations foir animated beings.

Urse the Distant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2003, 05:05:00 »

Hmmm.

I think its logical to assume that before death the Xeuá-Cár'áll in sentients (elves, orcs, humans, etc) has a dominant 'wind' factor (thought, etc) whereas with animals the mix would be dominated by earth (in non magical animals anyway).  When their dead they all return to earth, so their shouldn't be any difference at all in anima/sentient corpses.

Quote:
Not many can resurrect a dead person, but the few who can have only little time to re-connect the natural Xeuá

How long?  An hour?  Minutes?  This character sorta depends on seeing the Cár'áll of the violently dead for a brief time after death.  An hour would be useful, but it's your call :)  

"Queprer waits...."

Edited by: Urse the Distant at: 5/23/03 12:09:15 pm
the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2003, 07:18:00 »

each race have more of one type of car'all than an other race. like orcs have a dominant fire. I think.

"When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other"

the Akorn, a self-proclaimed squirrel

Sholtar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2003, 09:55:00 »

Yea, orcs have an affinity to fire, dwarves have an affinity to earth, humans to water, and elves to wind.. and none of em have an affinity to xeua or ecua or resonance or any of that special stuff :)  

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2003, 11:29:00 »

You can't have an affinity to zeua/ecua, as they are not elements... look above, on arti's post.

Sholtar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2003, 20:14:00 »

yup, that's why i said none of em have an affinity to that special stuff ;)  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2003, 19:01:00 »

Just a quick note to one detail here:

Vir is correct that when Dwarves die their bodies turn into stone in a sped-up version of fossilization.  A Thergerim who dies naturally in the surroundings of her underground community will be mourned and then 'cremated' in most circumstances, in the deepest lava pools available.  So in the average run of things, it will be very difficult for a necromancer to get his hands on a dwarven body.

Of course, on a battlefield or some other circumstance where a Thergerim dies prematurely, above-ground, his body might be available for a short time.  Although scavengers will avoid it (no easily digestible soft parts) any surviving Thergerim will attempt to remove the slowly petrifying corpse for the proper below-ground rituals and cremation.    

I can make these pronouncements with some authority as the Thergerim death rituals have been documented and in existence for some time!  ;)     So although this probably won't affect the development of your spell description, I just wanted to let you know that obtaining a dwarven corpse for Earth-centered necromancy might be a rather difficult proposition...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 July 2003, 04:16:00 »

I feel weird bringing this topic back up again, but I was thinking about the spell classes of Earth while thinking about what Arti said about Water being Wind tring to be Earth and Fire being Earth trying to be WInd.

Earth tends to deal with things that are stagnant, not moving, but Necromancy is bringing activity to things that would originally not have motion and activity. Would Necromancy actually being Fire, since its Earth trying to be Wind (something stagnant trying to be in motion)?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 July 2003, 04:30:00 »

Hmm, actually, good point... And I must admit I agree... because if it would be earth, one would have to lower the arth carall, to increase the other three, granting the motionless earth life... and Arti said that should never be a mage's primary intent.

So yes, accoring to Arti's theory, necromancy is fire... *grin*

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 13 July 2003, 04:35:00 »

Yes, confirmation to that. We have some of such fire spells in earth at the moment cause they were put there simply because of the earth reference they have concerning reagents, but the spell focus is clearly at fire - and this is what counts.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 July 2003, 04:38:00 »

Yaay! *does the "the magic guys were right* dance...  

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 July 2003, 04:45:00 »

Excuse me? The magic girl was right!

:p  

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 July 2003, 00:59:00 »

Interesting, and it works.

However, there are some problems, which make it seem fit for quite a few elements: Fire, Wind, Earth, and Xeua.

Fire, I get how this works, but it doesn't really display the properties of the dead, and fire. True, Fire is stagnant things trying to be active, but the undead are not active. They are slow, unwitting, and merely just given life, often with a controlled purpose. The dead are slow, arrogant, and are comprised of mainly Earth car'all. This signifies that it fits in Earth. However, the fact that Fire is Earth trying to be Wind, and giving activity to something which has none at all, and also the fact that some necromancy spells that effect the mind (Fear and such) are definately of Fire magic origin. And of course the fact that it would be hard to make the undead as active as possible due to the large amounts of Earth car'all and the fact it doesn't easily burn well.

However, creating the spirit for which the undead seems to be Wind as well, as you are using the Restoration sphere, restoring life to what is dead.

Then again, bonding the spirit to the undead and creating connections between the various bones, that is Xeua.

Interesting. I'm putting it in with the Fire magic entry I'm writing at the moment, though, as I said, some points are hazy.

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]