Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Phase shift  (Read 3595 times)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2003, 05:27:00 »

Well, I don't mind this spell falling in no other class than Illusion.... but mayhas, we sohuld make a class.... because Illusion, as I keep saying, should not change anything physically... as in- It should only change the apopearance, not actually vchanging something.... it can make you LOOK transparent, but it should not be able to MAKE you transparent... so to speak

Edited by: Silfer Darkflare at: 6/21/03 13:27

Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2003, 15:30:00 »

I'll speak with Arti about this little problem... or Rayne probably will, whoever talks to him first. o.o

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2003, 13:29:00 »

If you were turning yourself into a lizard, you wouldn't just be changing your form, you would be change your cár'áll.

Cár'áll is what makes a person up. If you take more cár'áll away from a person, their shape would change and they would grow smaller. Think of the sand castle. The sand is cár'áll. If you take the cár'áll away, you get a smaller castle. Remember the bag from the Magic entry? If you take things out of the bag, the amount of stuff gets smaller. Cár'áll defines everything about us: Our physical shape, our personality, our behavior... they are all defined by our cár'áll

So one's physical form can be change by manipulation of cár'áll.

And this spell does just that. By making yourself more like wind, you are able to dodge attack. Just like the wind is unharmed by the sword, so is whoever's doing this spell. However, its a rather powerful spell and its one that can't be placed in any of the spell classes of wind. It also seems a little unrealistic (which sounds strangely ironic), because though your wind cár'áll might be dominant, your still have the cár'áll of water, fire, and earth to deal with. The wind itself doesn't have these elements. It may not have them at all, anf if it does, they would probably be existent in so little amount it wouldn't really matter.

But this is just my take on it. I think Arti is on a business-trip or something, but maybe when he gets back we can talk to him about this, if he's not too busy.

Edited by: Rayne Avalotus  at: 6/29/03 21:29

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2003, 14:34:00 »

Well, accoridng to Arti a wizard does not become smaller when car'all is taken away... but I do not udnerstand his theory then, since your sarguments are valid. We'll see what he says.

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2003, 03:53:00 »

Well, I've just gone about and did a bunch of studying on car'all and everything, and I think I may have it down how it works. Though if I'm right, I'll have to change both my Spear of Frost spell and Frost Shield spell because they don't work.

Silfer, this should be in Illusion. I'll get to why in a moment.

First off... car'all is not the form of a person, it is the content. If you change the content, you change the appearance and the affinity, but not the form. Raw magic is what changes form. One's physical form cannot be changed by changing the car'all, or even the links. Only what they look like, and they're state of being in relation to the car'all.

None of the elemental schools can change form. Look at the magic entry. Under Raw magic... to change form, you must substitute car'all, such as, changing a table into a chair. (you are substituting the wind car'all property of the 'idea' of a table with the 'idea' of a chair. I'll get to this later if you wish to read on.)

However, one can make themselves like their element, because you are not changing form. Take the Vanish spell. You give the obstruction a high wind property, making it not only see-through, but walk-through. It still is a wall. It still possesses the form of a wall. But it is a... errm, wind wall. It has a high affinity towards wind, and so it possesses the characteristics of wind.

Now, what about the other elements? The same. Although fire and water I have some questions about, but earth is simple (petrify, becoming rock with the same form). Fire and water, I'm not sure if it's possible for your form to change (as in water, where you can actually shift into a liquid state). What I think, is that you become more like the element, but, with the form. For example, water would walk around as a humanoid, but if he were to stick his hand through a grate, for instance, it would flow around the grate to re-form the hand on the other side. Fire, you'd probably have flames around you, and what not. But I'm not sure. Anyways, when the spells wear off, you return to your former appearance.

In summary. Becoming more affinite to your element is not changing form, and is done through content. Changing your structure, ie, changing into aforementioned lizard (not an illusion that makes you look like one, but one where you actually become one) is raw magic, which handles form, not content.

I think... Illusion is given the wrong description. It can do physical effects in the sense of becoming more like the element. However, it can not do form-changing, as that is raw only. As I said, Silfer, Illusion works. You aren't changing the form of the being. Illusion is where this spell fits.

Back to the table... here we have the exceptions I'm sure you were wondering about. You can make it more affinite to the elements, and it would become more like that element, though there may be some bits of form changing, because it is two elements in one, earth and wind. If you used Illusion, then you would be making it more like wind, and thus see-through and stuff, because it is more the idea of the table, rather than the physical presence. If you use water, then the table will break apart and become a liquid. Why? Because with water dominating all others, both wind's idea (the shape and construction of the table) and earth's stability (the solidness of the table) have been lowered, thus making the table more like water, and not an idea or a solid object. Same with fire, except it will become fire, rather than water. With earth... it will become more like earth. It will break apart because the idea of the table no longer holds it together, however it is still earth, and so you'd have a bunch of pieces of wood, but no table.

All that was the physical addition/retraction sphere of the elements. Now, there is a way to transfer form of the table to something else, but only wind can do this. By using spiritual guidance to move the 'idea' of the table away from the earth wood stuff (causing the original table to fall apart and become wood once more), and transfer it into.. say, a boulder, that boulder will take the shape of the table. Because it has been given the 'idea' of the table, and so is now, a table.

But there is no way you can change the form of something (man-made there is the exception of transfering ideas, such as taking the idea of a chair and moving it to the table, but then you'd get a werid table/chair thing) without using raw magic. Because, raw magic deals with the form of the aura, and so by substituting (wind cannot substitute, it can only move from one place to another, increase or decrease, or create) the idea of the table with the idea of the chair, you can change form. Same goes for anything, but sometimes the soul or whatever, rather than an idea. (substituting the soul/aura/car'all/whatever of an orc, say, with a human, will make the human take on the form of an orc, at least, the personality too if those traits were also substituted)

Okay, I think I'm done for now.

Arti, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)  If you check this thread. ;)

Aiya Paelerna

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 July 2003, 07:16:00 »

See, SIlfer, you should just listen to me. That way Dass-a-bunnie wouldn't have to rant on in large, verbose posts. ^_~;

BTW: This is Rayne. I don't feel like deleteing this post, logging out and logging in, then posting it under the right name. Blah. :p  

Edited by: Aiya Paelerna at: 7/7/03 15:17
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 July 2003, 11:08:00 »

Aha, that makes sence. I agree, then. (And class changed)

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 July 2003, 16:32:00 »

But I like making long, verbose posts. :p

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 July 2003, 16:59:00 »

Exactly. ::p ats his head:: ^_^

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]