Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lightning (Wind III)  (Read 1560 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 15 May 2004, 02:03:00 »

Ok, let's see how this sounds.

Lightning (Wind III)

Spell Effect: This spell causes a flash of lightening, usually originating from the caster to a specific location. The electrical oún are typically expanded upon as the wind itself is moved towards this locations. Many lower-level mages find the movement makes it easier to focus the electric oún, whichn naturally seem to come together once movement has started. Though the oún themselves aren’t electrical, the friction caused by the speed accentuated by the oún causes friction that makes the charging wind light up, and even burn those who block it’s path.

This spell, though is can usually be learned by students at levels of 3 and 4, isn’t usually learned until higher level, like 5 and 6. The spells demands control, and without that control, can cause a good amount of damage. The spell in itself causes burning on the skin and can even frizz the hair, but can cause even more damage mentally to an individual, sometimes leading to death.

Casting Procedure: Concentration is always necessary. The caster should think hard on both where they want the lightning to come from and where they want it to go to. This is the path the caster should send the wind cár’áll around them. It has been found that using one’s own cár’áll to cast the spell often leads to some harmful effects on the caster. Though the surrounding air does not require motion, it is typically advised to keep the lightning from striking the caster.

From here, one should focus on the “electrical” oún, thus causing a great charging motion in the wind, while uttering the magical formula. The friction should be enough to produce light and heat.

Formula: Si Vásh Efer (Sién Avásh Eferán, or Quick Burning Wind)

Target: The Target is usually considered to be the location of the endpoint of the lightning, but in actuality, I’s the cár’áll of the air surrounding the caster that is subject to alteration by the caster.

Reagents: Though most reagents are unnecessary, the burning quality of the lightning leads some to carrying sulfur, typically thought of as a fire reagent, to help reinforce the burning quality of the spell. If used, the sulfur is often lightly dispersed into the air to cause increased friction.

Magic School: Wind

Spell Class: 3, Motion

Range: The lightning spell can theoretically cause the lightning to extend for strals until the oún break away from focus, but most of the time the lightning will smash into a tree or dive headlong into the ground before it gets too far. The range is typically measure on how far away the lightning can reach before the student looses control of it

Level 3-4: 3 to 4 peds
Level 5-6: 5 to 10 peds
Level 7-8: 10 to 20 peds
Level 9-10: 20 peds to where they can no longer see the lightning.
Level 11-12: Undefined.

Casting time:
Level 3-4: 30-45 seconds, though sometimes a prep time is also needed.
Levels 5-6: 20-30 seconds, though sometimes a prep time is also needed.
Levels 7-8:  15-20 seconds, not including an optional prep time.
Levels 9-10: 10-15 seconds; prep time unnecessary.
Levels 11-12: 5-10 seconds (or less); prep time unnecessary.

Duration: N/A

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures: Many shields can off-set or completely block the effects of the lightning. Some of the most effective are wind and earth shields, though some kinds of water can also be used. Fire shields have been proved to be less effective. The heat created by the lightning only makes the fire shield grow hotter with a heat than can sometimes even injure he or she who casts the shield. The lightning spell is often considered too quick to be able to break the oún's focus, though some magi can do it.

There are few enhancing measures. The reagent of sulfur or even dust particles thrown into the air before casting the spell can cause more friction by the wind, making the lightning hotter. Little else can be done to enhance the effects, however.

Edited by: Rayne Avalotus at: 5/15/04 21:08

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2004, 05:27:00 »

Sounds perfectly fine, and after all, tis Rayne who is doing this, so it should be sounding fine.

However, how does this differ from static bolt?

Kikhku

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2004, 08:44:00 »

This one is, as it should be, available at level three and makes much more sense then static bolt ~.^

And rayne wrote it so it's spechul

Rayne, tonight, if we get the chance, I wanna throw some ideas around for necromancy.  And silf, if you could join us somehow (IRC maybe?) that'd be great.

Dear Beth.....

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2004, 11:18:00 »

I suppose this picture will be included in the entry?  

I don't quite understand the casting procedure though.  What is meant by expanding the oún, and if the oún aren't electrical, what element are they?  Wind?  

Also, is it possibble to have a variant of some sort that incapitates the opponent (working perhaps similarly to a stun gun) instead of burning them?  

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2004, 12:46:00 »

I'm just trying to clear up some things.

Yes, the oún belong to wind. They are, in actuality, the quality of extreme movement, but the result of this extreme movement is fristion and electrivity.

Silfer was actually the first to come up with friction. I was initially against the idea, but I now concede.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2004, 11:59:00 »

Several issues here. First of all we need to know what we want. Do we want to have a physical explanation of everything, or an organized magical system, which is to a good deal property based? If you don't agree to the second one, and still want to have a comprehensible organization concerning spheres, spell classes etc., then we need to have a better proposal. Currently I don't see the latter, only a vehement try to quench the existing static bolt spell into a physically possible direction. So where's the magic there? Why can't electricity be simply a wind property and a spark be elemental fire for example, which you only need to target?

Sure, I'm not happy either with the current explanation we have on the site concerning Static Bolt, and I see the necessity to organize it. But the explanation is about all that should be changed methinks, no need for a new spell...

The way you describe it here, it contradicts completely what I tried to make clear as essential differences between Sphere 1 and Sphere 2. This spell seems to be some sort of Sphere 1 which produces indirectly something which is NOT originally wind. Cause you say "Though the oún themselves aren’t electrical, the friction caused by the speed accentuated by the oún causes friction that makes the charging wind light up, and even burn those who block it’s path." So electricity is obviously not a wind property, but a physical reaction, which somehow uses the wind oúns or something. Why would we call something physcial we do here "magic" then? And why do we have to use terms liks "electrical"? *shivers*

Our intention should be: The less physics we have in our magical system, the better, not the other way round - magic deals with possibilities, not with rearranging things physically correctly. Now when I see spells like "Etheral Lens" I'm already starting to get sick by trying to understand what Kikhku tries to convey, and I think this cannot be what we want to achieve, or?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 5/15/04 20:09

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2004, 13:05:00 »

I suppose I'm still a bit iffy on the idea of electricity being wind. How do we explain the burning property of lightning? It's ability to scorch the ground? I can only see this being done by somehow facotring fire into the equation.Wind is suppose to represent movement. That, I think, it one of it's primary properties.

I can see how this spell should be Sphere two. That's a big mistake on my part. I'm sorry.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]