Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Create Joint (Fire II)  (Read 1283 times)
Kikhku

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 25 May 2004, 00:49:00 »

This forum needs life and I'm bored.  This is hopefully going to be one of the most basic of necromancy spells.

Still tweaking it a little, but feel free to comment.

Animate (Fire II)

Spell Effect: Animate is perhaps one of the easiest spells an aspiring mage can learn, but one of the most difficult to master.  This spell simply creates a joint within a single object, similar to those found in living beings.  This joint is held together by a temporary oun structure which requires constant upkeeping.  Joints that are not kept up quickly fall apart, causing the item to revert to it's normal state.

There are several variaties of joints available.  These include (from the easiest to most difficult to create) hinge (an elbow joint), pivoting (a wrist joint), sliding (a shoulder joint), and ball-in-socket (a hip joint).

This spell really shines when it is used many times.  At the initiate level, casters may find difficulty in keeping even one hinge joint active, but higher level fire mages can keep together and operate thousands of these joints at once, creating many smaller animated structures or one massive, intricate structure.  

Casting Procedure: During the casting procedure, the utters the formula once.  This seems like more of a formality then anything else, and many initiates skip the formula altogether.  The mage must either focus on altering the item's internal car'all to create movement within the structure.

During the initiate phases, each joint a caster wishes to use requires a seperate casting, but at higher levels (level four and above) the caster can create more then one joint at once.

Formula:

Target: An object.  Objects more resistant to movement will require more concentration to move (casting this on a block of concrete can be done, but is exponentially more difficult then casting it on a doll.

The target can also be the caster himself.  When used on oneself, this spell simply augments the caster's strength in that joint.

Reagents: Sulfur is an optional reagent, and students tend to find the casting simplier if the object has sulfur imbedded inside of it.

Magic School: Fire

Spell Class:

Range: During the first two levels, the caster must be touching the object.  After that, the range extends one half a ped per level for creation, and three peds per level for upkeep.  Specialized training in animation, reanimation, and necromancy can extend this range, as can painting the joint with the caster's own blood, though the latter of the two tends to hurt the caster more then help him.

Casting time: Five minutes for a standard casting at the initiate, losing half a minute per level for every level above the initiate.  Specialized training can shorten this time.

Duration: Dependant on many factors.  An initiate can keep the joint active for a few minutes at most.  A high level necromancer can keep their creations moving for years.  The standard number for a caster without any training is two minutes for one joint at the initiate level.  This doubles for each level, and is divided by the total number of joints.  So a fifth level animater could keep three joints up for (2^5/3) about ten minutes.  Specialized training greatly increases this duration nearly a thousandfold.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures:
The standard joint is not powerful.  Even a light blow can completely destroy an untrained caster's joint.  If one wanted to go for overkill, they could use Ecua to directly destroy the joint, but there is no real need for such measures.

Spacific training in animation and necromancy in general greatly enhances the spell.  Sulfur or other ground up substances with dominant fire car'all can help initiates visualize the item's fire car'all.  Other enhancing measures are outlined in the entry.

Edited by: Kikhku at: 5/24/04 16:52
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2004, 01:58:00 »

This won't be fire. Not in this state. You here do not bring a joint back to life(necromancy), you create it out of thin air (can we get a better substance please?) and connect the two objects.

If you want this to be fire, make it bringing the dead back to life.  

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2004, 08:34:00 »

I was told that necromancy was going not going to consist of bringing the dead "back to life" but of controlling them like puppets (which makes more sense in this magic system anyway). ::sigh  ::

Any suggestions on the substance?  Orc blood, perhaps?

Edit: that should fix a lot up.

Edited by: Kikhku at: 5/24/04 16:52
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2004, 12:14:00 »

Cár'áll is not material. It isn't atoms. Oún cannot create physical things, like joints.

Fire is not bringing dead back to life. It is bringing something that would originally be motionless and animating it.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2004, 13:01:00 »

*Agrees with Rayne* My point was that it ddoes not create, but animate.

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2004, 13:15:00 »

Take a doll for example, the doll would normally be motionless.  If you move his arms via car'all manipulation, you would either have chaotic movement, or some sort of ordered movement, and the ordered movement would require a joint.

Should I reword this then?  Or maybe rename the spell?  Whatever the solution, this spell's purpose is to bring motion to something that has none.

Dear Beth.....

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2004, 02:34:00 »

Kik, you misunderstand I think. In the case of a doll (or a corpse), fire can make them move and "live". As in, if there is a joint, fire vcan make it move. It can't create a joďnt.

Creating a joint would maybe be xeua... and animating it and alowing it to moveat the mages command would be fire.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]