Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: So many questions...  (Read 12155 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2004, 15:55:00 »

Concerning mentalism: I know the wind magic entry. I know what it says. I know what the sect of wind magic encompasses. I wrote the entry, after all. As I said before, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Speaking of cats, a Ximax cat is able to communicate to his or her owner through mental pictures. Mentalism, in a way. However, it doesn't matter if the owner is of fire magic, earth, or wind. The images are possible through Xeuá connections that are built over time. I imagine there would be something similar with Psyrpents.

I don't think that Pysrpents should be deprived of their Psychic powers. However, they are a very strong race. Not only do they have mental powers, but they are also physically very strong, thus overlapping two rather prominent strengths that make the race itself very powerful. Psyrpents set themselves up for being very powerful characters. We can't allow this in the RPG.

There is a reason children start out at Ximax at age 12. This is a time of maturity, both mentally and magically. In the same way puberty happens in the body, so more magical awareness comes to the child.

We don't delete CDs or characters. When we establish new rules or bans, they are not retroactive. We have reasons for doing the things we do, though, and always have the best interest of the RPG in mind. If you really want to make a Psyrpent character, then make a person entry for the site, but you probably won't be able to play them in the RPG.

Perhaps the Pysrpent entry will be changed if Xarl thinks it fit to do so. If not, we have to make sure the RPG remains safe. I'm sorry.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Taranos

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2004, 16:56:00 »

If physical strength is a problem, well no problem (hey, a joke!). We just make me a bad fighter, enough to wear off animals and similar weak enemies. One thing thought I always wanted (as seen somewhere in my CD) is the ability to climb, per example on rough walls and trees. What about that?

Wise is the one, who doesen't tryes to understand all...

Where the 3 most deadly species meet... at "Underground monsters"

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 June 2004, 16:59:00 »

Y'know, I regret making the little buggers, but that was still when I was RPG-oriented instead of world development oriented. They're probably the only race designed for RPing.

I had a psyrpent char too... Korta, exiled male Psyrpent. I axed his psychic skills and gave him a jewel that held the spirit of one of his clan's elders who could use a couple of Korta's powers.

I never intended the Psyrpents to be physically strong, except for the Claws, and they were supposed to pay by being completely shitty at mentalism except for when enraged... during which time they sucked majorly at any kind of attack.

I may do some editing, but the idea was that a claw could reach 30% of a Ximaxian's potential in Mentalism.

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 June 2004, 18:07:00 »

Xarl, now that you're back, read my psyrpent's CD under the magic section and tell me what you think.  Also look at Seran Kovu's magic section.  I wrote both of em and they should work quite well for Psyrpent's psychic powers.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 June 2004, 22:23:00 »

::her eyes get all big and filled with tears of joy at Xarl's statement:: Editing? Really? Oh, Xarl, you have made me so happy! ::hugs him and sticks many little cerbells in his hair.::

I should personally like the Psyrpents to be a bit smaller. They need weaknesses. We were discussing possible changes for the Psyrpents in the IRC channal a few nights ago and came up with the following edits that might allow for a more balanced race:

1. Reduce the size of the psyrpent race to equal the approximate hight of orcs. There was talk about giving the same physical attributes, but I’m afraid this might make the race too strong, having both a magical (mentalism) inclination and strength, but perhaps that something to be discussed.

2. Average intelligence. Also intended to off-set the effects of strength and mentalism, though we may be able to up their intelligence depending. The race itself seems to strike me as being, perhaps, somewhat scholarly, or at least as the possibility to be scholarly.

3. Ability to understand written and spoken word, but no physical apparatus that would enable actual speech. They are lizards, after all, and it seems likely that their strength in communicating psychicly may have been built from a hindrance in communicating through other means. The initial decision was that the psyrpents could only communicate with those of their race, but I did, and still do, propose that the Psyrpents have the ability to, in time, be able to communicate to others. In the same way a Ximax cat is able to send pictures by connecting to their master, so psyrpents would be able to speak to those they are close to, psyrpent or not.

I personally think that the race should retain psychic ability. It’s really part of the way the race was created. Things like strength and really anything dealing with war seems a bit pointless. The psyrpents live, it would seem, under the protection of dwarves.

One of the things really bothering me most is the creation of the bests. I mean, an Earth Mage? Come on. We need to find some other way to create a race without having to link them to the War of the Chosen or to magic at all.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 June 2004, 05:07:00 »

Rayne, I don't disagree that they are probably more suited to studying fire magic than earth magic.  However, what form of magic they study is a concious chioce, and is most likely greatly influenced by their beliefs and culture.  I don't see why a psyrpent would choose fire, which seems to be of little importance to them, over earth, which does seem to be a far more important element in their culture.  As for the elves, well, the Sanhorrhim seem to limit themselves to water magic, in both the clerical as well as secular form.  

Taranos

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 June 2004, 05:51:00 »

I also think psyrpents are a bit too big, thought not much. The claws reach nearly 3 meters/peds, that's quite huge. But the Eyes for example stand about 2 peds. That's not too big, but maybe 1 feet lower won't hurt em much. As for their language, heh, in my CD it sais in my weakness that I can't talk well human and other languages. So when I was rping I used to say something like "zzzz can I hev a glasssss of water" and that kind of stuff. The problem is the other mates might had problems understanding what I really wrote XD. Psyrpents sometimes must rally on telepathic to talk, because they barely can't pronunciate some words, as can be readen in this section of the Psyrpents:

PraFeroonKorTyr
As a sign of acceptance to their dwarven allies, the Psyrpents have taken the dwarven name for this enclave on Denilou, roughly translated as "Meeting City", though they have to resort to telepathy to do so as the name is incredibly hard to say in Syrpentine.

Me per example I would want to be eyes, so I guess it won't be a problem if I'm about lvl 3-4 Mentalism, since they are trained for that. Besides that I couldn't find any offensive/hurting mentalism spell. The only things that come me to mind are things like illusionism, telekinesis (alltought that probably goes more to wind won't it?), etc.

P.S. Cool to see you again around Xarl.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 09 June 2004, 08:57:00 »

I would not change an entry on the site to make it fit for roleplaying! Set a moderate psyrpent up for the board, but don't cut down what was good so far.
I agree with Rayne about their mental abilities and that they should keep it - on the board however it has to be restricted . The psyrpent may only be able to read one's mind, if the other member is accepting it, so to say, projections to it and send projections - instead of words.
The Ximax cat is something different. It is only a compagnion as in Kik's case - it doesn't recieve or read the thoughts of other members of the party.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2004, 09:56:00 »

But it has a nasty way of making itself heard... often at kik's expense.  ::Huggles Ciatee:: ^_^

So we're looking at the size of an orc, the strength of an elf here?  If they were well trained with their claws it seems to me they wouldn't need to be overly strong to defend themselves, especially if we make their tails fully usable as a limb.  

Hell, I wouldn't mind giving them the size of a halfling and upping their agility.  The size itself would be a species wide weakness.  

Finding a balance isn't easy x.x

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 June 2004, 14:15:00 »

Mina: The elves have several different sects, you remember? There are dark elves, ice elves, wood elves. I speak in general terms. There are tens of elven tribes located all over Caelereth. The Sanhorrhim have had thousands of years to adapt themselves to the water, to basically evolve to suit themselves to the sea. This involves a slight change in cár'áll, and even then, wind has a lot of focus in the Sanhorrhim's cár'áll.

The Psyrpents, I believe, is far too select and small a group to allow too many exceptions. Thier behavior would imply a strong inclination towards fire. Just as most elves take to wind, so most psyrpents take to fire. All thing in proportion, though, only a rare few of the Psyrpents would study anything but fire.

Taranos

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 June 2004, 19:03:00 »

2:45 Morning. Turning in my bed 100 times in a minute. Can't sleep. And those damn insects make it even harder. Already inflamed 1 mosquito, 1 bug-like creature with some kind of hump, some smaller insects looking like mini-mosquitos, and several other insects. But they won't leave me in peace...sight...aaaanyway...*mosquito flies in front of face*...mmmyes, as I was going to say, I don't mind being physically too weak, as long as it's enought to be able to defend myself with a sword against animals like wolves and similiar weak stuff. Would be also cool if I were able to climb rought walls and trees, thanks to my strong claws (juzz an opinion, not sure if it's allowed). About mentalism, I know it's not allowed to controlate another character, read his mind or do anything that would be somewhat controllating someone else, and I'm not interested in that anyways. As long as it's possible at NPC, it's ok, alltought even there are some restrictions (per example reading the mind of a NPC, and getting info not relating with what the story mod has in mind, etc, mmya...)

As for the magic, I read that explanation either Huun or Rayne did about being earth wanting to wind, etc stuff bim bam bum...
It sounds quite reasonable to me. Alltought I would preffer wind, if I get stronger learning fire magic instead wind, so it be. Still better than earth magic, which seems to be only necro stuff, dunn like dead meat >.<

As for the age, I think it's ok for me to be around 52 years old. That equals to a 26 year old human, with the same mentality (or maybe not, whatever). In any case, 52 years (or maybe 42 if I decide to learn at ximax at age of 10) is, I think, enought to be lvl 6-7 fire, as a human surely would be (and Psyrpents are same intelligent, if not more cause of their mentalism). At least lvl 6 cause then I can do Rays Of Heat, which seems to be the only offensive Fire spell, besides Searing, but it only hurts when at lvl 10 (n'ya I now, you won't allow me to be archmage blah). Bout being the size of 2 peds suits me fine, meh.

Can't think of more stuff right now, so I'm off for now *gathers flamethrower and aims at mosquito:evil *.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 June 2004, 23:32:00 »

Actually.. well, you see, the magic system isn't all up to date on the site. Technically, all that necromancy stuff belong in fire. We just haven't gotten around to making the proper changes and stuff. The simple explanation is that, as you know, fire is earth trying to be wind. The act of necromancy involves taking something that usually does not move (earth) and making it move (wind).

Necromancy is just a small part of that sect of fire magic, though. Fire magic can really deal with making anything, no matter if it was once living or not, become active, including puppets and dolls.

Taranos

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2004, 07:11:00 »

Doh, the magic site wasn't quite up-to-date when I was playing 2 years ago, and it's neither today. I think we found then our main problem, didn't we? mmmeow..

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2004, 20:09:00 »

Hey, we're working on it! :o

Our main problem right now is that we don't yet really have a firm idea on what things like cár'áll and Xeuá are capable, and all the properties they have. We also have to finish actually building the system, which is thus far unfinishes. The magic section of the site is in shambles right now, and a lot of cleanup, work, and time will be needed to get it into functioning order again.

Taranos

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 June 2004, 11:59:00 »

oh well, I can't help you with that problem, I'll probably end up messing the spells up more than they already are :biggrin

So what to do now? Wait until the magic system's up?  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]