Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Magic once again  (Read 12963 times)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2004, 16:08:00 »

Corrections to the writings I have made above: As Mina just proved to me, a fireball created by sphere two will be stationary, while to move it you will need sphere three. My writings do not reflect that until now.

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 July 2004, 17:18:00 »

Actually, Arti insisted that sphere 2 could create a moving fireball, but I haven't been able to figure out why, and haven't had the chance to ask Arti.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 31 July 2004, 04:16:00 »

I see no reason why Sphere 2 wouldn't allow a moving Fireball. If this wouldn't be possible everything a bit more complex would be Sphere 3. Makes no sense to me.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2004, 06:03:00 »

Hmm... well, if we just take for a fact that one can "throw" a fireball with one's will, then sure, sphere two.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2004, 07:09:00 »

The push needs to be given with the mage's willpower, yes. The air/wind through which the fireball moves is only affected by the fact that the fireball is released. But air/wind aren't influenced directly on flight (only the fireball itself may be produced by gathering fire elements from the air).

A very typical sphere 3 spell with active wind would be e.g. if a fire shield permanently circles the caster. This would mean that fire takes central role and pushes wind into an active role of supporting it, and all is held together by the "idea" of the spell.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2004, 07:51:00 »

I'm still a little confused though.  Assuming I'm right in thinking that you're saying that pyrokinesis is possible without sphere 3 (though this brings up the question of what sphere it might belong in), what's there to prevent a fire mage from using a sphere 2 spell to create a fireball, then will it to move around, instead of using a sphere 3 spell to create a fireball that moves in that same way?  Perhaps the degree of control required here is only possible with sphere 3?  

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2004, 08:10:00 »

With sphere two you would need to continually focus to keep it moving around, with sphere three you don't need to "uphold" the spell, it is cast and you ddont worry about it. (IMHO)

That's BTW a thing I would want most sphere one spells to have - that you need to keep "channeling" to keep the spell in place, while with sphere two and three the same spells can be cast and "forgotten about".

isaraldor glamthail

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2004, 19:22:00 »

i think that at sphere 2 it is cast and then pushed in a striaght line by will then at sphere 3 it is just created and moved in a striaght line at the same time.

May the wind cast you to your doom evil ones

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2004, 06:02:00 »

Erm... sort of.  Here's the way I see it.  

A first sphere fireball would focus the fire car'all belonging to a sphere of air so that the fire aspect became dominant to the point that the air lit ablaze.  

(_) <=Beginning of a sphere one fireball

The mage would then focus on the air just ahead of that sphere, half of a shell of the fireball pointing in the direction he wants the fireball to go.  The fire aspect of that air would already be quite dominant because of the heating of the air, so very little effort would be needed to actually set the air just ahead of the fireball ablaze.

(_)) <=The same beginning along with the air mass just in front of the fireball, which is now lit and part of the fireball

The mage keeps focusing as such and lets the part of the fireball facing away from the person die down, as he rapidly lights the air in front of the ball.  A sphere one fireball would only have the appearance of movement if it were done this way.  It would not knock a person back, but it would cause a nasty burn.

In a sphere two fireball, the air would be lit not by temporarily focusing the fire aspect, but by activating the air's Xeua links more or less perminantly.  I'm not sure but it may be possible to actually move the air and give the fireball a little kick with the second sphere.  Silfer, is that possible o.O

And a third sphere fireball, which would be rather pointless unless you wanted a big bang, would involve actually adding fire car'all to the targeted air mass.  As a result, the air could become explosive and once the fireball actually hit a target, it could go kaboom.

Another way to cast the third sphere fireball would be to rapidly change the fire car'all's Xeua links with the air just in front of it, similar to sphere one but the car'all would actually be moving.  This might be able to produce a fireball that goes through walls and armor if themage is talented enough.

Tell me if I'm anywhere near right on that o.o

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2004, 06:53:00 »

Almost correct, Kik. Sphere one doesnt focus car'all, however, it merely makes a certain aspect dominant in a given object/area.

Sphere two rearranges car'all in the air, so that the fire part is all assmbled in a small spot, creating a fireball there. Then you throw it by will. Not by air... by will, IMHO. (But this isnt that important, mind you, dont make this science again)

Sphere three can make a fireball as sphere two, but it can also add car'all to it, making it different/giving it new qualities.

isaraldor glamthail

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2004, 06:14:00 »

so is that it? can i work on the schools (with every1 else of course?

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2004, 06:25:00 »

I thought sphere one did this by focusing the car'all without actually "moving" it.  That's what I meant by focus anyway o.O

I do think we should know how a fireball is thrown because that changes the effects.  Does a fireball in the third sphere hit the target like a burning rock, or does it just heat the target up.  That could change the spells uses drastically.  Science or not, it is important to know what a fireball can do, IMO.

And yeah, that's pretty much what I said about a third sphere fireball o.-

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2004, 06:55:00 »

Kik: Firebal is fire, it isnt solid. So it hits you much the smae as a flamethrower shot ;)  

And Isar, no, you may not yet do the schools. I am still hinking how the classes would work, as well as sphere names. (Or rather, whether e.g. wind, which is done, would work with this sytem)

isaraldor glamthail

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2004, 15:04:00 »

i think what kik means is that, does it hit and push the target back along with everything else in its way, or does it just go through every1 just burning them. i think its better the second way because there is no mass to the fireball. its just fire. if it were an exploding fire ball i could understand that but just a regular fireball should just go through

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2004, 15:20:00 »

Well, my opinion is that in theory, it could burn through things, but in practice, most things are too difficult for it to burn through.  Like Silfer said, a flamethrower shot, except a flamethrower shoots a stream of fire, and a fireball is just, well, a ball of fire.  So, a flamethrower might be able to burn through something, since it's a continuous stream of fire, but a fireball might not burn things quickly enough, and get dissipated instead.  Of course, since the power of fireballs increase with the level of the mage, a very high level mage, perhaps level 10 or so, might be able to create a fireball that could burn through things quite well.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]