Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rise of the Phoenix (Fire School, Level III)  (Read 2661 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 01 June 2005, 13:28:00 »

Spell Effect.
The spell Rise of the Phoenix (named after the winged mythical creature) is also more commonly called "Line of Fire" or "Fire Alignment. It is able to strongly enhance the mage's capabilities to cast fire spells for a certain period of time. The spell is therefore a perfect preparation spell for every fire mage to achieve better casting results or cast succeeding spells more easily, e.g. in the midst of a battle when time for proper preparation is rare. As the secondary name already implies, Rise of the Phoenix temporarily aligns the elemental fire within the caster's cár'áll in a way, which makes the initiation of further spells much easier. A "Line of Fire" is drawn through the fabric of the caster's cár'áll that only needs to be ignited at a certain point later on, producing the desired effect. - While Rise of the Phoenix definitely has its advantages, allowing for example problematic spells to be cast seemingly with ease, it should also not be forgotten that this spell requires its energetic resources as well from the caster, so that the succeeding spells need to be chosen wisely.

Casting Procedure.
Rise of the Phoenix requires only brief meditation to collect the needed energies, that is to bring the fire oúns in line, and then distribute them in the caster. Once meditation is complete, the energetic transfer can be seen through the magnificent phoenix shape appearing at the mage's outlines. The fire within the caster especially aligns around the hands of the mage (which will appear as the phoenix's wings) and the head part - regions of the mage's body, which are most important when spellcasting. The mage himself/herself is lifted up from the ground for a few moments as if taking off into the air. A few blinks later the mage drops to the earth, fully loaded and ready, bearing the desire to release the accumulated fire energies into another spell.

(click on image to enlarge)

Magical Formula.
Not yet defined.

Target.
The spell can only be cast at the mage himself/herself. Casting at other persons or even other objects is not possible.

Reagents.
Rise of the Phoenix works best with ashes as reagents, as they stand for the self-regenerating power of the mythical beast. Quote from Torek Ozzot's description of the phoenix: "The tale goes that when this wondrous bird comes to death, it turns to ash. However, the ash then ignites in golden fire, and the phoenix is revived in its own sacred fire. To this end, the phoenix is an immortal, never really dying, just reviving from its own remains." - In the same way a fire mage might see his self being mainly aligned to the element of fire and in case this primary alignment is hampered in a way, the fire alignment needs to be restored. Rise of the Phoenix supports the mage's efforts, returning lost energies and working towards what the mage sees as his natural orientation.

Spell Class.
Enflamement.

Range.
See Target. As the spell only affects the caster, it has no range.

Casting Time.
Rise of the Phoenix requires very little casting time and can be active within moments. All that is required is a few blinks for the mage to concentrate and he can refill his energies quickly and efficiently. Rise of the Phoenix is therefore a spell that is ideal for a mage to cast during a fight if he/she can retreat for a little while to prepare the next steps.

Duration.
Depending on the spell class at which this spell is cast on, the duration of the effects Rise of the Phoenix entails, varies. While the visible part of the spell, the actual re-alignment or regeneration, is briefly over, the positive influence the re-arranged fire ouns within the caster's cár'áll have at any succeeding spells lasts from 5 minutes (level 3) to nearly an hour. Each spell level adds approximately 5 more minutes to the spell's effect.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures.
During the successful casting of the spell the mage is pretty much invulnerable to any kind of magical attacks - actually any kind of magical energies thrown at the mage during the casting process might add to the effectiveness of the spell. Once the re-alignment is complete and the mage's affinity and orientation to the the element of fire has increased accordingly, the re-alignment can be hampered by casting a Neutralize Cár'áll spell, reducing the fire orientation of the caster to its normal level. By the way: The Neutralize Cár'áll spell can be cast by any elemental mages, due to the fact that each elemental school corrects the own element at this spell, to which the other elements align themselves.  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/2/05 9:04

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2005, 13:52:00 »

An interesting spell - not that I understand anything about these things ;)  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2005, 13:53:00 »

Ah... I just noticed that the threads in this Forum have been restored... It was pretty empty a few minutes ago...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
isaraldor glamthail

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2005, 15:17:00 »

not all of them arti. i know that the fire spheres aren't exactly finished but we can start to sort them a little. i'm thinking that this spell is sphere 2 and probably the spiritual side. since it is only temporary and it rejuvenates energy. what do you think?

sig made by gararion

Can you withstand my eternal onslaught of wind and water?
Isaraldor Glamthail-Santharia

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2005, 18:11:00 »

Some thoughts:

How about making this a high level spell (after all, you are taking off into the air and all)? You could make it sphere III and let the mage attract the fire ouns around him (which could explain the hovering and the phoenix shape) and let him absorb some/most of them into himself. It would also give a nice explanation for the following sentences:
Quote:
fully loaded and ready, bearing the desire to release the accumulated fire energies into another spell.
he can refill his energies quickly and efficiently.
During the successful casting of the spell the mage is pretty much invulnerable to any kind of magical attacks - actually any kind of magical energies thrown at the mage during the casting process might add to the effectiveness of the spell.

Maybe you should restrict the magical attacks to fire spells only? Or maybe just spells that will 'throw' more fire ouns at him?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2005, 09:49:00 »

@Isa: It would be Sphere I, as temporary stuff is Sphere I, so I guess you just mixed this up. And yup, spiritual side.

@Marvin as well: However, I think Marvin raised a good issue here - this could very well be a level 3 spell for the reasons Marvin provided, as an expansion from level 1, so I'll go for that idea.

Also the magical attacks idea is a good suggestion - will work that in as well:D  

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2005, 01:46:00 »

Maybe I'm just tired, but I'm having trouble understanding how this spell works.  I'll probably try again later, or maybe ask you on MSN if I happen to see you around.  One thing I did notice though, is that absorbing ouns into one's own car'all would be sphere 3, and thus probably not merely level 3.  Or maybe I'm mistaken about which levels each sphere is taught at.  Bleh, I need some rest before I make myself more confused.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2005, 05:50:00 »

Marvin's suggestions are not integrated in the post above, only here at my local version (the version posted here would be Sphere I). The spell is now level 7 and Sphere III with the additions/modifications Marvin proposed.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2005, 07:42:00 »

Excellent spell, but out of curiosity, what is the flying for? It sounds uncommon for some reason.

(*cue some cartoonish Sailor Moon-like character lifting off from the ground and spinning through the air bathed in light while shouting "RISE OF THE PHOENIX!":lol  *)

Not intending to poke fun, but I'm just wondering if there might be some explanation for the "taking off" part. ;)  

Santharia, a place of world creation and roleplaying.

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2005, 00:41:00 »

Probably because that's what the picture shows.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2005, 01:03:00 »

Yes, Mina, precisely - that's the main reason. I just had to write a spell to this picture;)  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2005, 03:38:00 »

I'm not arguing against the flying itself - pretty clear that you have to make it similar to the picture. Just wondering if there could be some "elemental/philosophical/magical" explanation for it.:p  

For example, the Carpa'dosia speaks of Fire rising from the Earth to the Wind, to become Wind itself. So it's not that implausible.;)  

If Fire is Earth desiring to be Wind,
And Water is Wind trying to be Earth,
What then is Fire wishing to be Water?

Santharia, a place of world creation and roleplaying.

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2005, 10:59:00 »

Well, the picture doesn't have to be accurate.  Artists aren't usually magic experts, after all.  If you really want a technical explanation for it though, I suppose you could try bugging Arti for it.  I can't think of any good explanation right now; brain's fried, probably.  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]