Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Ximax - Academy: Next attempt! - Nr IV Rayne  (Read 21442 times)
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2004, 03:00:00 »

Well, I don't know about you, Kik, but 3x3 peds seems really tiny to me, even if it's just for 1 person.  And you're trying to fit two people inside.  I suppose it can be done, if we have one person to each room, but I really doubt two students can fit into a room of this size.  The beds alone would take up almost a third of the room.  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2004, 04:47:00 »

RL keeps me away! Sorry!

Mina, space was not such an issue in old times, in fact it was common that a LOt of people lived together on a very refined space, not having more than one square meters per person.
My first room when started university had 6 squaremeters (not nine!) - and that in an advanced society! A room of 9 squaremeters is pretty fine for two students! But I thought anyway of dormitories with up to 20 students - don't apply modern standards to an middle age society!

But there is no need to decide this now.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2004, 14:33:00 »

Ok, I propose now, to make the towers huge. They were built afterall to guard a very dangerous thing - by powerful, strong and selfconfident people.
I will name exact numbers when we have the outer towers as well, to be able toplay a bit with multiples and such.

So:
Height 180 ped, where the last 20 peds could be entirely ornamental
Diameter 60 peds (the hexagon, maybe the tower itself)

That leaves us every option open, how many people to put in, how to do the exterior, how the interior (they could be hollow, displaying their element in the middle, or a great entrance hall...), but let's us decide that later.

My first question is now:

- Do you agree with the huge sizes?The whole essemble has still not more than 180 ped in diameter!

The form:

You haven't answered my question yet, if the dome with the orb should be so accessible as some sketches would allow it.

We have three choices then:

- Closed walls as above:
- Round towers touching the slightly bigger dome, but with space between
- Round towers around an dome of the same size, room everywhere

We could of course build walls between the round towers to deny the direct access to the dome.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 6/9/04 23:00

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2004, 14:54:00 »

This second pic won't show.. :evil  

Kikhku

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2004, 15:39:00 »

Uhh, sixty peds would be more like a building.  And that would be huge.  We should shoot for an 8:1 height/diameter proportion.  16:1 would be better, but that would mean a very high tower.  Still, keep in mind that if the base is twenty peds wide, that gives us 314 square peds of room per level and still leaves us with elegant proportions if we can bump the tower to 160 feet.

Assuming they need 1/2 of the space for halls etc, a 20 ped wide base gives us 157 square peds of living space per floor.  

How much does a student need.  Would a 16 square ped room be enough for two (that's twelve feet by twelve feet, as large as most small dorm rooms).

That's twenty students per level, a good round number.  That means we should have a total of lessee here.. between 25 and 30 levels devoted to student lodgings (We'd need 26 levels at least).

We could also have the rooms rectangular at 3x4 peds (12x16 feet) and gain another 5 people per floor.  That'll just be room for the beds and basic belongings, but I doubt that most of the students will spend much time in their rooms anyway, especially if each level has 100+ square peds set aside as a recreation area.

Dear Beth.....

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2004, 16:04:00 »

Kik, no discussions of the interior now! And as I mentioned elsewhere, the towers are not just here to house the students!

And have you any reason, why it should be a 8:1 ratio or a 16.1 ratio?Why should it not be a building? The towers should get of course smaller at the top , in an elegant curve, or with small steps at every level- did i forget to mention that?(Details later!) Maybe 20 peds diameter at a height of say, 150 peds?

We could make them of course smaller like in the ?? pic above - this would apply in the case we leave more space around them.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 10 June 2004, 16:30:00 »

This are the rough proportions of a tower with base 60 and height 180. Of course not very elegantly shaped, just a quick little pic.

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 June 2004, 20:07:00 »

IMO, they shouldn't be narrower at the top.  Why not have the six towers the same width at all points?  I always envisioned them as columns, a monument to the greatness of Ximaxian magic.  These would also have twice as much storage space as the pointed towers.

The 8:1 proportion is always used in building.  Any 1:2^X proportion always gives the structures a sense of order.  

Dear Beth.....

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2004, 20:14:00 »

I think that storage space is basically unlimited, because we can go deep into the earth. Keep in mind we have catacombs and such running all through Ximax, deep underground. I think the shape is nice, and will show how the population of each level will shrink as one ascends through their studies.

As for the diagrams on what the towers will look like, I'm assuming the slender white lines are walkways? One should be able to walk around every tower, I think, without having to walk on the grass of any plot.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 11 June 2004, 05:31:00 »

@Kik

Quote:
The 8:1 proportion is always used in building. Any 1:2^X proportion always gives the structures a sense of order.

Kik, that is not of interest for me, what is "always used" , we want to do something different - and I don't agree with your sense of order.

@Rayne - no, that is just how it came out by doing the pic with a minimum on effort, such details I would like to discuss later, as the exact shape of the tower and the exact numbers.

Please look closely at my questions and arguments above, so can we go on after having decided the rough outlines.

Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 June 2004, 09:49:00 »

Why are the towers so high?  We don't need storage space 'coz of the catacombs below.  We don't need to protect the sphere at 150 peds in the air coz the towers wouldn't do that anyway.  The only reason they're as high as they are is for looks.  And those proportions simply look better and more elegant on a tower, that's all I was saying.

Here's a good place to note that if we don't shrink their radius as they get higher into the air and they're touching, they would form a massive wall around the dome..... which would be pretty cool looking ^^

Dear Beth.....

Edited by: Kikhku at: 6/11/04 17:53
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 June 2004, 12:25:00 »

They won't be touching. That would cause problems with individualizing. them (water from the Water tower would fall on another tower). It would also make it imporrible to circle any of the buildings.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 12 June 2004, 13:22:00 »

We don't know yet, what we need, if we haven't decided on the interior, so this is no argument.
They would look nicer, if they were slimmer, but how they will look exactly I want to do decide later. I'm sure, we will find a solution.
Kik, what do you know about the properties of the orb, so that you can say, the towers don‘t have to be so tall for protection? I don‘t know anything, but I can imagine a lot. But the look counts, that is right.
The block is an interesting idea, but the towers are described vaguely as towers already, so no block.

A few clear questions now:

1. Are we all tending to this pic now?

The outer towers are touching the dome, which is slightly bigger.This has the advantage, that each tower can have an own access to the dome on ground level.

2. Do we agree, that the towers will be fairly big, up to 200 peds, (the top might not have space that can be used), approximately 50 to 70 peds in diameter , getting at least smaller to the top with a ratio of 1:3, maybe 1:4?  Shape and exact measures will be decided upon later.

3. Don't you think, easy access to the dome should not be allowed? Now we have nothing to prevent the smallest student to go near the dome.

Rayne , Mina, Kik??

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 June 2004, 13:45:00 »

1. I was under the impression that the towers were kept apart so that it would be easier to individualise them, and the area around them.  However, the towers in the picture seem a little too close for that.  I think Rayne mentioned the idea of having a small lake around the tower of water.  It looks rather hard to do here.  Then again, I'm not really sure.  Maybe they are further apart than they seem to me.  Actually, have we agreed to go with that?  

2. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm not sure how a tower with those dimensions would look, but it sounds like it'll have enough space for quite a bit of things.  

3. I think the key is not allowing easy access to the Orb, not the Dome.  The Dome was built to keep the Orb's energies contained, and to keep people away from the Orb.  The only ones allowed inside are the Archmagi.  I think the Dome would be protected by rather powerful magics, and probably quite a few guards too, so it's going to be quite hard to enter it if you're not alllowed to, meaning that it's not really necessary for the towers to physically prevent access to the Dome.  The towers' purpose, aside from the teaching of magic, is, according to Xarl, helping the Dome to contain the Orb's energies.  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 12 June 2004, 14:42:00 »

Now I didn't read thoroughly enough. Did you want to be able to go around the towers and circle around the dome as well?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]