Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ximax Academy V  (Read 8473 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2005, 13:46:00 »

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2005, 14:08:00 »

:: sends little heaqrts after Judith all the way back to the Herbarium:: :heart  :heart  :heart  :heart  :heart  :heart  :heart  :heart  :heart

We need to start organizing the place entry itself, so we need to consider how we're going to do this. Do we want an entry on the whole school in general, then maybe a separate entry for the inner towers? Or do we want one entry for each of the towers?

I think because the internal structure of the towers are all so similar, along with the general shape, we should have one entry that includes all the inner towers. Within the entry, we can talk about the small differences between each tower (i.e. the beautiful descriptions Mommy Judith provideded). A general description of the whole school can be done later once we've discussed more concerning the outer towers and houses.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2005, 15:51:00 »

I wouldn't take the school apart, Rayne, but of course we need to do it in parts. So I would say - more the general outlay first (all the towers, and what they host) - finish this - then new entries under the general, which describe each tower - or first the towers itself, the inner description of each tower could be an extra entry ...and so forth

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2005, 20:10:00 »

We're talking about a really long entry here! Are you sure we shouldn't cut it up into bite-size pieces?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2005, 23:00:00 »

You could do it like I'm redoing the Thergerim... just an idea, but...  Don't cut it up, just sublevel it.  Like so:

THE ACADEMY OF XIMAX

General Description:

xnnfslnn Academy's location within the city sfklnf slkf Academy itself is fkqo cruiy woo cnow. nsfn slkjfs,fslj;fs, The six towers of Air, B, C, D, Earth, Fire are arranged around the Shield Dome which sflkmlc wioj;w dflkjf...

Earth Tower:  
     Exterior of the Earth Tower - bjklsjfklnw beautiful vines covering it.,fsk;lfmlmvnklfs etc. etc.
     Interior of the Earth Tower - sfklnlvnlf warm and comforting, round sculpted shapes, wjlkjlsdfl fsjkjweoflj classrooms here, sfjjljwe there

B Tower

C Tower

etc.

Outbuildings:  the gardens, the kitchens sfjkjow nclnl f iownkf jsi are all located jlksfjl eklf .  General description fljkl sklj and layout fjllnvcklsf.
   Herb Garden:   jlalv sfjoew iodvcliow healing herbs sfjowe close to the Earth Tower fsjlj clsfkj
   Kitchens:   sjkljwo;jc sfjl fd over twenty pigs roasted daily fsjljlsf jfsklw loaves of bread jlsfnlwn fjoijo
   Jakes & Privies:  sfjkjwo cnlc, wo ls,c lkafwoi woi reeking
   Washhouses:  jfljc jlw heated by a constant fire spell sfjlc kjsmnle
   Training Grounds:   skl f  cn skjlkw salle is necessary for physical conditioning jfsowenlf joiw

Shield Dome:   The heart of the Academy just as the Academy is the heart of Ximax, tkljl tojlkc owl;x, jlklnvopw lfokj son l,c nowsl fnl;wpo sl.  
    Exterior of Shield Dome: flclmkwo lnlcnw
    Interior of Shield Dome:  fjojw; kclkjwrlif

Of course this looks obvious - but what you can do is set it up so it's not all on the same page.  You can scan quickly over the headings in the General Description, the top level, and then the headings which say "Exterior of Earth Tower..." or "Interior of Earth Tower" are merely hyperlinks, which when clicked on will take you to a separate page - the Earth Tower entry,  containing two sections, Exterior and Interior.

If you are reading the Academy entry, you'll see everything linked together as it ought to be.  If you already know how things are organized, or don't know anything at all, you can use the Search function (the little magnifying glass next to the menu) and simply type in 'Earth Tower' (Fire Tower, etc. etc.) to go straight to that page and get the details for your specific interest at that time.

Helpful?  Or tritely obvious?  If it's carefully laid out with headings and subheadings, Art should be able to make it look comprehensible on the page even if it is all one long entry.  It's just less intimidating the other way...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 14 August 2005, 00:09:00 »

What Judy explained in  ore detail, was exactly what I proposed, Rayne. Of course we need to make a lot of smaller parts, each should have its own entry, but you have to have a view of the whole thing first, before you can do the smaller things.

F,e , take this layout I'll put somewhere up of the inner and outer towers. If we agree, that it should be like this, we could just fix which subject goes in which tower(even this could be changed later, if we have a great new idea), and thats all, a general description of the whole, one sentence or two for each tower, end.
The bext could be a desription of how the outer towers look like - like Judy did it. Of course, somewhere in the background has to be a concept of the interior as well, so that you don't forget, from where the ight should come (do I need windows, or is there an internal magical ligthing?)

The description of each house/outer tower could be an extra entry.

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 August 2005, 00:28:00 »

Argh, so much to do, and I can only come online on weekends most of the time.  I hope you don't mind me not being around much.  

I thought the final layout of the inner towers we agreed on was this one:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I see the inner towers and Shield Dome as a single unit, and the entrance as part of the outer ring of towers, and thus something seperate.  So, I find it more preferable to have opposing elements across from each other, as shown in the picture.  

Quote:
I think it is practical for a school founded by mages to have some magical aid in its construction.

There is some magical aid.  However, most of the construction would still have to be by conventional methods, since the number of mages would have been relatively small in the beginning, and magic isn't powerful enough to create the entire academy from scratch, merely make it easier.  200 peds should be doable with magical aid, reaching into the clouds would probably not be.  

Quote:
Well, the towers themselves are 50 to 70 peds in diameter, so you can probably expect the hexagonal area to make be 2 or 3 peds more than that. It's not a lot of room, but sure, it's enough for a small lake, or a pit of embers, or a garden, or something wind-like.

That's really tiny, and it sounds like it might not be enough for the nice descriptions Judith wrote up for us.  Maybe make it 10-20 peds?  

Quote:
and the colour of the magically hovering Shield Dome

The Shield Dome, as I recall, was meant to provide both a physical and magical barrier to the Orb of Ximax, so I doubt it can be a hovering object.  The rest of the descriptions sound pretty nice though.  

By the way, Judith, I think Xarl originally intended to have a small dwarf clan or something of that sort be among the original founders of Ximax.  Is it possible, and if it is, could you maybe suggest how it could be done?  I don't think any of the magic people are very familiar with dwarves.  Maybe we could start a new thread about this, since it's not particularly relevant to the topic of this thread, except where dwarven architecture might have influenced the design of the Academy.  

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 August 2005, 07:13:00 »

Quote:
By the way, Judith, I think Xarl originally intended to have a small dwarf clan or something of that sort be among the original founders of Ximax.

Yeah, I seem to remember reading that somewhere that the Volkek-Oshra and a bunch of dwarves were the muscle behind the building of the academy.

Edit: found one reference in the Volkek-Oshra entry.
Quote:
Housing.
These orcs live in catacombs under Ximax, mainly under the Red Tower. Though they do often journey above ground, during both day and night. They enjoy the large stone halls they've carved out, with the help of some of the dwarves.

Edit: and another one in the Magical City of Ximax entry:
Quote:
The Inner City.
The Inner City is often referred to as "Old Ximax", as the vast majority of the buildings here date to the first millenium of the School (also refered to as the Ximaxian Academy). This portion of the city is more ornate, ancient, and more laden with the dust of the ages. The architecture here, in sharp contrast to the Outer City, is mostly similar, lending itself to the monolithic, big, and fortresslike, as the original master architect of the city, Ungur Firehands, was more concerned with the defensibility of the fledgling Magical Academy than aesthetic pursuits. However, as the buildings grow newer, a host of other dwarven, elven, and even the occasional orcish architectural influences can be seen. (The chronicler apologizes for digressing.)

Time Table of Ximax
2015 b.S.- 2009 b.S.
Construction of the Eleven Wards
The Circle of Magic, the Orcish Society of Enlightenment, and a small clan of dwarven exiles work on constructing the Eleven Wards and the rudiments of a settlement. Over a much longer span of time, the Inner City begins to evolve.
ca. 1650 b.S.
The Dragonstorm
Unlike many northern cities, Ximax and its people simply hide from the dragons (or the dragons shunned this high concentration of magic on purpose). They are immensely grateful for the aid of the Volkek-Oshra and dwarven clan of Unghur, who aid them in the construction of a set of catacombs beneath the city. Afterwards, the catacombs are filled in to avoid any future problems.
621 b.S.
Reopening of the Magical Academy
The human mage Xarl Bluestride, his student Khaelvan I, the Volkek-Oshra elder Narmatuk, and the descendants of the dwarven clan Unghur officially reopen the Magical Academy after a century of ruin. Also born at this time is the future stance of Ximax towards wars; total neutrality. Too much knowledge and life was lost in the Fall of 733 to risk such a thing happening again.

Edited by: Marvin Cerambit  at: 8/13/05 15:22
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 14 August 2005, 10:12:00 »

Mina is right - but I didn't want to look too closely.
We should stay with what we have decide in layout IV, I think, otherwise the time spend there was realy in vain. We should go through the old posts as well - there are a lot of good ideas. I could polish my old proposal a bit, so that it is better readable, if you wish - and resize it. ;)  

To the distance between the towers - if we take the pic Mina has posted , they are at least ten peds away from each other. This could of course be more, I just had to take ANY size while doing them.

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 8/13/05 18:28

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 15 August 2005, 20:41:00 »

I'll look into Ungur Firehands, who was indeed a dwarven masterbuilder.  One more thing (sigh) for my To Do list...

Thanks for doing the research/background work for me though, Marvin and Mina! :hug

And if I can help with any 'fine detail' / 'landscaping' with the Outer Towers, which look like even more fun... I'll even write up the stables and the outhouses...I'm not proud!

Edited by: Bard Judith at: 8/15/05 4:42

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2005, 21:08:00 »

According to the last Ximax Academy discussion I went through, it was the other layout we decided on, but to be honest, I'm not really that particular. If that the one you think we should have, that is the one we'll take!

Ten peds apart sounds fine to me!

We'll definitely take anything you choose to make for us, Judith! You write so beautifully, how could we resist? ;)

Should we begin working on the outer towers? Sizes and widths? General dimensions?

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 August 2005, 06:43:00 »

If we're going to discuss the Outer Towers, we might as well include the Houses in the discussion as well, since they're all joined together anyway.  

Well, lets see, I don't know if any decision was made on this, but I'm pretty sure one of the things suggested was that the Houses and the Outer Towers were built into, or at least joined to the inner wall of the Academy.  I see two possible choices for the towers.  We could have them start from the ground, or from the top of the wall.  My preference would be to have the towers set on the wall, and have the wall, Houses, and Outer Towers form a sort of large building with several different sections, instead of being entirely seperate buildings that just happened to be joined to each other.  

The size of the towers should be quite a bit smaller than that of the Inner Towers, I think, due to not having to house people, or at least not as many people.  As for actual dimentions, how about approximately 25 peds lower than the Inner Towers, measured from the ground, and a somewhat smaller diameter, perhaps about 40 peds?  I think that should be large enough.  

isaraldor glamthail

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 August 2005, 12:32:00 »

i was thinking we could have 3 more towers so that you can have a tower on each point while the entry tower would be inbetween and farther back then the two towers closest to it (think triangle). the "houses" could then be inset into the walls as mina described. i'll try to see if i can make a photo to show you.

edit: here's the link to show what i explained. img243.imageshack.us/img2...max8uc.png hope is big enough.

sig made by gararion

Can you withstand my eternal onslaught of wind and water?
Isaraldor Glamthail-Santharia

Edited by: isaraldor glamthail at: 8/29/05 20:51
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]