Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Shadowmancy  (Read 8940 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 28 July 2005, 20:52:00 »

People have been asking about Shadowmancy since the Kasumarii entry was written. Most recently Takashi. So I started the entry, though, of course, I'm not entirely sure if the magic-theory works, but I think it does.

I also wanted to write it to assert my magic-expertness that I'm afraid I might be lacking in. >_<;

I haven't forgot about Weavers!

Edit: I don't know what else to add to this entry!

Shadowmancy

Overview: Shadowmancy is the magical art of manipulating shadows, and is used almost exclusively by the darkpriests of the Kasumarii tribe in Cyhalloi. Shadowmancy serves purposes both occupational and recreational, for while it may be used by assassins to hide in the shadows, it is also utilized for entertainment purposes, to act out scenes and stories for entertainment.

The Clerical Art: Shadowmancy is a clerical magic, but it does not operate in the same manner as the Santharian clerical system. In the Santharian clerical system, spells are cast often with the use of song or spoken prayers, and when a spell manifests, it is said to come from the worshipped god of the respective caster. For example, if a Nehtorian cleric casts a spell that heals an open wound, that healing was said to be done by Nehtor and not the caster himself. The cast was merely the means through which the god operated.

This is not so in the Kasumariian art of Shadowancy, where the clerical quality is more indirect than in Santharia. Darkpriests, the most skilled and knowledgeable practitioners of this art, believe that the spells come from them—that they are the ones who cause the spells to take place. However, they believe their gift and ability to cast spells comes from Korenjah, their God of Shadows. Because shadowmancers believe they are the true casters of their magic, they tend to have more control over the end result of a spell than most Santharian clerics.

Shadowmancy also differs to traditional Santharian clerical magic in that no prayers are vocalized. Instead, Shadowmancers make use of hand gestures to cast their spells and manipulate shadows. In this manner, they can retain the silence necessary for their assassinations. These hand gestures and movements tend to differ slightly from caster to caster, which implies they were, like prayers and mantras, more of an aid for focusing than as an action necessary to cast a Shadowmancer’s spell.

The casting of spells relies heavily on faith--as do all clerical spells. Most Ximaxian scholars attribute this to strong will power gained through their faith. When a shadowmancer loses her faith, often their spell-casting will suffer through a similar loss in will. In general, from what is known of the art of shadowmancy, those who have perfect faith in Korenjah tend to cast more precise, potent spells than those of little or uncertain faith.

Ximaxian Explanations: Shadowmancers are clerics, and thus they are not limited in many of the ways Ximaxian mages are by being bound almost exclusively to one element or type of magic, but can enjoy use of many different types of magic, though with less control. Although what kind of magic shadowmancy is has been debated for some time, most Ximaxian scholars have identified the Shadowmancer as a kind of Fire Mage on the basic level, and a Ecua mage on the more advanced level, though some should argue otherwise.

The explanation starts on the smallest level. Fire oun has a tendency to be attracted to other Fire oun. This is why, for instance, when the sunlight fades and night comes, it gets cold. The heat you felt from the fire oun in the surrounding area followed the sun as it went down, and thus won’t return again until morning. Similarly, when a candle is lit in a dim room, the shadows appear to get darker—the fire oun giving them light has been attracted to the candle and the candle’s rays. One reason many perceive the night to be dark even when the stars are out is because, due to their size, the stars don’t possess enough energy to push their fire oun out enough to light Caelereth. In the same way, a fire grows by attracting the fire oun in various caralls to feed itself. A shadow is merely a carall lacking in fire (or in a carall where the fire oun, no longer sharing the energy of surrounding fire oun [i.e. from the sun], have their connections move from Soor to Ahm, while the other oun links go from Ahm to Soor)

The concept of simple Shadowmancy often deals with this attraction of Fire oun to themselves. Often, the simple fire mage will be able to change these Xeua links between fire to make them Ahm (though thus far no shadowmancer has been able to change the links to Soor), echoing the type of spellcasting done in spells of the first sphere. In this manner, he create shadows in dimly-lit places, and often move these shadows to some degree, but like most spells of the third sphere, they quickly fade and the carall returns to it’s most comfortable balance. In a slightly more advanced way, a shadowmancer may separate fire oun, as is done in the second sphere, and while keeping a carall in a ahm-fire state is slightly easier, it is still considered by most darkpriest to be “novist” or just “poor shadowmancy.”

The most advanced shadowmancers have the ability not only to change the quality of the fire xeua links in a carall, but in fact “move” some fire out of the carall. This is made easier, obviously, by a source of light to which the fire oun can attach themselves too. These spells last longer, making the shadows more malleable for a longer period of time. While this is generally considered to be spell casting in the third sphere, many of those who are capable of manipulating shadow this way are also to give turn their shadows into “individual ghosts who are able to suck the life” out of their victims. While this is a frightening thought, the truth of it comes through the power of advanced shadowmancers to summon, which of course supports the claim that some shadowmancers are, in turn, Ecua mages.

Many of the life-sucking ghosts rumored to emerge from a shadowmancer’s conjured shadow are often parasitic demons both from Caelereth and the Netherworld who are easily able to inhabit shadows or are most comfortable in shadowy habitats.

Shadowy Practitioners: Shadowmancy is an art limited almost completely to the cols island of Cyhalloi. Though Shadowmancy can be practice on the most basic levels by Fire mages, they tend to lack the skill of manipulation and control of their assumed shadows that the Shadowmancers of the north enjoy. Ecuan mages are the only non-Kasumarii who can practice Shadowmancy on the fundamental level, though their lack of faith does not allow a practical use of the art. Only those blessed with the Shadowy ‘gift’ by Korenjah can use this clerical magic with stealth, grace, and pragmatism.

The most elite of the shadowmancers are the darkpriests, who are said be gifted the most by Korenjah in the ways of shadow magic. Many Kasumarii say that the gift of shadowmancy is “the gift of Korenjah to his beloved Kasumariian daughters,” as most darkpriests are female. Others believe that female Kasumarii are merely more potent in magic, and are thus most suited to such a sect. In any case, darkpriests are the most highly trained and skilled in Shadomancy, though many Kasumarii not of the darkpriest sect also have the ability to cast novice spells to aid them in their assassinations. These include, obviously, the Nightsons, who are trained in all Kasumarii sects including that of the darkpriests. Often the Korenjaans will also make use of basic Shadowmancy spells, as well.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 10/1/05 15:46

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
isaraldor glamthail

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2005, 07:22:00 »

Very good. But summoning I still don't get and there was some talk sometime that it was both ecua and xeua, though i don't think it was ever published. Could you clear it up? Thanks, and no 2 page essays please, i'm no teacher. ;)  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2005, 07:34:00 »

Summoning and Weavers. Aw gosh, we talked about this for a long time in Landshut, but I don't remember if we came to any conclusion. ^^

If Fire is Earth desiring to be Wind,
And Water is Wind trying to be Earth,
What then is Fire wishing to be Water?

Santharia, a place of world creation and roleplaying.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2005, 15:10:00 »

You're right, Isaraldor--both Xeua and Ecua mages can summon, though they do it in different ways. As I understand it Xeua and Ecua mages can essentially do the same things, but they use a different method to do it--eac huses the reverse of the other. They're two sides of the same coin, to use a popular figure of speech.

Now, Summoning: As I said, both Xeua and Ecua mages can summon:

Xeua mages do it by strengthening the connection between the place the mage is and the beast he/she is trying to summon. Those links go from Ahm (passive) to Soor (active) and the links become stronger at the mages location than the beast's, so the beast moves.

Ecua mages do it in the reverse way. Instead of strengthening the connection between the place the mage is and the beast, he/she weakens the connections linking the beast to its current location, causing the links to the mage's location to strengthen, eventually causing the beast to move to the mage's location.

Some basic principles that you should know to fully understand this: everything is connected to everything else, though most of those connections are extremely weak. Everything is connected to everything else. Also, there are the same amount of Soor (active) and Ahm (passive) links in and between any one carall at any given time. Thus, if you strengthen a link, another link has to weaken.

Understand?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2005, 01:18:00 »

What you have now sounds like it was written from a Ximaxian perspective, which I suspect might not be the best for such entries.  Certainly it would be better for the main part of the entry to deal with the Darkpriests' own believes and theories about their magic system?  I have no problem with an essay describing the Ximaxians' views of shadowmancy, of course, but I don't think that it would do a very good job of describing it.  

As for summoning, I recall posting some time back a proposal that it requires cooperation between xeua and ecua mages, strengthening links to the mages' location while at the same time weakening those at the summoned being's original location (a somewhat simplified description).  Unfortunately, it didn't generate much discussion, and apparently has been lost during the hacking.  Possibly, it was this proposal that Isa was referring to.  

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2005, 01:26:00 »

I describe it in the Ximaxian way because I believe the Ximaxian way provide the basics, the necessary components needed to scientifically explain how Shadowmancy works. Shadowmancy is a CLERICAL form of magic, so if I tried to do an explanation on it from the dark priests' point of view, the reason spells work is because "the gods will it so." Ximaxian magic, I think, better explains all the components needed to make such a reaction take place.

I will, however, add a section in just for the purpose of explaining that shadowmancy is clerical. Would that suffice?

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2005, 01:36:00 »

I suspect that shadowmancy is clerical in a different way than Santharian clerical magic.  Dasson once mentiond that they would more likely cast using gestures than incantations, in order to be more quiet, implying that their magic is more reliable and mage-like, instead of merely praying to their gods and hoping for miracles to happen.  What little we know of shadowmancy from the entries already on the site suggests so too.  We know that it is clerical because that's what Xarl said when shadowmancy was first created, but exactly how it is clerical has never really been explained, and I don't think the clerical magic entry currently being worked on is really applicable to non-Santharian clerical magic.  Clerics certainly come in more forms than that.  

isaraldor glamthail

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2005, 08:13:00 »

Yeah, I understand now, and yay! no 2 page essay! :biggrin

The way the Kasumari entrance is described as is "wizard-clerics". So perhaps they have somewhat of a combined ximaxian and clerical system. One in which they understand what the gods are doing in order to create the effect the shadowmancer wants to varing degrees of skill and faith. That would also mean that a shadowmancer can not have only one of the 2 aspects and hope to be good. They must have both to be of any help. This in turn makes the kasumari shadowmancer seem more deadly then it already is.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2005, 10:43:00 »

@Mina: I'm confused at where you're getting the idea that clerical magic requires prayers--in the basic magic entry it even says prayers are optional. I said it was clerical because that's what's in the entry on Kasumarii, where darkpriests are said to have "the clerical gift of Shadowmancy." I never said they read prayers aloud, and indeed, as you mentioned, that would be silly, because it would blow their cover.

It's a clerical magic because it is based on belief in a god who gives such a power to the darkpriests-- probably Korenjah. For the Kasumarii, HE is the reason the spells work. At least, I see it this way. You seem to see it differently. Can you explain?

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2005, 12:23:00 »

@ Rayne: I think you have misunderstood what I said slightly.  I didn't claim that clerical magic required spoken prayers.  Talia's new clerical magic entry, as far as I can remember, seems however to suggest that prayers of some kind, whether spoken or otherwise, are required for Santharian clerical magic.  But, the main point I was trying to get across was that the entry seems to describe Santharian clerical magic as being rather unreliable - the cleric prays for something to happen, and it is up to his or her god to decide whether anything happens, and what exactly happens.  Essentially, if anything happens at all, it'd be the god doing the magic, not the cleric.  Or at least that's the general impression I got from it; I've never been particularly good with clerical magic.  

Shadowmancy, on the other hand, seems a lot more reliable, from what we already know.  They at least seem to have fixed spells that work every time, instead of having to rely on their god's decision.  The part about Dasson telling us about their use of gestures rather than incantations is merely to further illustrate this point.  Their god, probably Korenjah in this case, as you have mentioned, would have to be involved somehow, seeing as it is some kind of clerical magic, but I am quite certain it would not be the same way Santharian clerics believe their gods are involved in their own magic.  It could be that the Kasumarii believe that the ability to perform shadowmancy is a power granted by Korenjah, as you said, or it could be something else entirely.  I think we are quite free to make up how Korenjah is involved in their magic, since Dasson seems to have left magic for good, and Coren, who had expressed some interest to develop shdowmancy in the past, has apparently disappeared.  

I think we have also diverged quite far from the point I was trying to make in my first post here, which was that I think the main entry of a magic system should be about how its practitioners think it works, rather than how some outsider (ie. the Ximaxians) think it works.  The Ximaxian theories, I think, should be in addition to the main entry, instead of being the main entry, perhaps as a section by itself, or in cases where it is very detailed, like this one, maybe a separate entry.  

@ Isa: I not sure what you are trying to say.  Perhaps you could elaborate on it.  

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2005, 14:00:00 »

Quote:
since Dasson seems to have left magic for good, and Coren, who had expressed some interest to develop shdowmancy in the past, has apparently disappeared

:veryconfused  I'm still very much here :wave  But I don't remember asking to work on shadowmancy?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2005, 14:39:00 »

As previously stated, the I have written the how Shadowmancy works in the Ximaxian way because it is a more scientific means of appraoching shadowmancy. It describes specifically what is going on.

And I don't think we can leap to the assumption that shadowmancy, as a clerical form of magic, is more reliable than other types of magic, but I'm sure it seems that way. After all, Cyhalloi is pretty far away, so the only shadowmancers we hear about are likely to be the skilled ones. The only shadowmancers we're likely to see are the ones that were good enough at their art to be hired by Santharian noblemen for assassinations or whatnot.

As I see it, clerical magic means that whoever does the magic asserts that this magic came from a god. I think the place we're really diagreeing seems to be on this point. I think that it's clerical magic if the cleric believes their god gave them the gift to do spells or that the cleric believes the spells came from god. You solely believe in the latter.

To make this a little clearer: if magic were music and spells were songs, I would describe a magic/music as clerical if a cleric/mucisian claimed that a god had given him the instrument and the skill to play it, or if the cleric/mucisian claimed that the song people heard came from a god. In the end, the spells/songs are the gods doing--only one way is direct and the other is indirect. Shadowmancy, as I see it, is an indirect form of clerical magic. Does that make sense?

I won't make the Ximaxian form of magic the main part of the entry. The entry is unfinished (hence the icon). But I still see the Ximaxian explanations as more scientific--and, perhaps, the most difficult to write, so I got it out of the way.

Can we agree on the clerical explanations above?

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2005, 14:45:00 »

@ Coren: Oops, must have gotten the name wrong.  I guess his name was spelled Koren, then?  I'm sure I pronounced it the same way.  

@ Rayne: Will reply later; I need some sleep.  

Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2005, 19:23:00 »

Started writing an essay, randomly, since the actual shadowmancy topic has been taking, originally offering a brief explanation, now a full explanation from a Ximaxian's point of view, though the point of clerical magic doesnt seem to suit it. I would probably mark it, were it taught at Ximax, as water, or wind, some highly advanced form of a cross between summoning, and illusion perhaps (you did mention up there that the Nether-parasites, wind up acidentally summoned.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2005, 19:38:00 »

Shadowmancy isn't taught at Ximax, but Ximaxian people could perform it, or something close to it. And the nether-creatures aren't always summoned accidentally. ;)  

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]