Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Eruption of Chaos, Fire School, Level 8  (Read 8521 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2005, 13:48:00 »

Ok... Sorry for the delay, but finally I'm getting back here to check another spell... So what's the problem with this entry - or is there actually still a problem with it, which hasn't been corrected yet?

From what I can see it looks like a typical Sphere III spell and could work as it is described. Providing, the fire added is used in a chaotic way (chaos quality) - to disprupt. Because fire could also be used in different ways, e.g. to strengthen will or passion in a person. But if the chaotic balance is kept in the object until a contact releases it, then this spell creates really cool destructive stuff. So a bit of wording could be improved, but I don't see a major problem with this one. Actually Marvin did a nice job here:)   - Unless you spot something that needs discussion, directly related to the entry. If so, let me know where you see a problem.

The first sentence however should pretty much tell you what the spell does for non-mages, the technical stuff should follow later.

Also you wouldn't say "30 blinks", but "half a minute". A blink is a measure used for very short time measurements and only an approximate value, so what you can in a way express with the minute, you should also express with it. :)  

Would also suggest a better name for it - again "Explosion" is a bit boring for my taste.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/21/05 21:49

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 August 2005, 14:37:00 »

Yeah, I'm going to go over this one (and the other) in about two weeks when I have more time to read it over. Currently things are quite busy.

Norkin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2005, 09:28:00 »

I have one comment

Quote:
Adding it all at once causes it to explode, because the whole stabilizing process happens at once

Yeah in my science class we heated up an object ( a cola can but hey). We made it stablise and it didn't explode, it IMPLODED. This was because when things heat up they expand, then when stabalising the situation they shrink. When you stabalise quickly they shrink very fast and implode on themselves ( see I am pretty smart:biggrin ).

I'm not sure if the same applies to magic but if it does Marvin's theory is incorrect.

Quote:
use the movement elements of wind to cause the rock to want to move outward in multiple directions That would make it explode right

but this idea from Kain seems alot more plausible.

Norkin ( your friendly juniour scientist )

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2005, 11:08:00 »

Wind thing could work as well, but I was aiming for a firespell.

Quote:
Yeah in my science class we heated up an object ( a cola can but hey). We made it stablise and it didn't explode, it IMPLODED. This was because when things heat up they expand, then when stabalising the situation they shrink.

True, but the spell would be doing the opposite ;)  The point would be that you add the potential of heating up, but without the temperature rising, and keep it stable by magical means. Then you would 'release' it. Like everything would heat up at once causing it to expand, so it would be exploding.

Like Arti said: the fire added is used in a chaotic way. The mage would try to add as much chaos as possible, but keeping it stable until he wants it to manifest. (note to self: add the chaos thing)

But like I said, starting from 5-6 September I should have more time available to reread and edit things properly

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2005, 14:30:00 »

Concerning your question about the first sentence, Marvin: Well, I guess I stated this quite clearly: "The first sentence however should pretty much tell you what the spell does for non-mages, the technical stuff should follow later." Which means: Words like "ounía" just don't fit in here, this is something for the experts, telling them how this is accomplished, but the regular guy from the street has no idea what you're talking about.

I guess it's about time to seperate these things. Suggest that we make 2-3 lines above the other sections (which we usually call "Overview") and where we put in how the spell appears to other. Then under "Spell Effect" you can explain in detail and in technical terms how it is done. Know what I mean?

So I think we'd basically need an interesting name for this one, eh? Maybe... hmmm... "Chaotic Burst"?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2005, 03:06:00 »

How about "Eruption of Chaos"?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2005, 04:16:00 »

Yeah, why not:)  Definitely much better than simply "Explosion"... Will check the other spell later today - you can already mark this one for integration already then.

Val Incendarious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2005, 03:39:00 »

I know this spell thread is a bit old but ... I had an idea I wanted to share after reading it. Just to see if I am on the same page with others here, maybe even perceiving the concept of this spells workings in a different light. Could not a fire mage gather the fire ounia making sure to keep it detached from the water ounia in an object. Or at least keeping the amount of fire ounia "touching" the water ounia at a stable level till the mage releases it? Fire magi often gather "balls or concentrations of fire ounia." Would this not possibly function along the same line?

Then at the finish of the casting, let the fire ounia free to return to a stabile state in the cár’áll. The sudden influx of fire ounia meeting the water ounia would create an explosion similiar to water when it is dumped into a fire. Hence allowing a mage to incorporate this spell into near any object with a concentration of water cár’áll.

I beleive this explanation exhibits all 3 spheres showing just how complex this spell truly is.

I apologize to you all if my technical terms are a bit off. But I have been gone for sometime and once again recently stranded here =)

"Life is a story waiting to be written. It is upto each of us to make it wonderful and exciting."
Val Incendarious CD

Edited by: Val Incendarious  at: 11/29/05 11:12
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2005, 06:12:00 »

Quote:
Could not a fire mage gather the fire ounia making sure to keep it detached from the water ounia in an object.

Detaching fire ounia from the rest of the ounia (water, but also earth and wind) would be sphere III. In this spell for example it the opposite: more fire ouia are attached.
Quote:
Or at least keeping the amount of fire ounia "touching" the water ounia at a stable level till the mage releases it?

Well, that's pretty much why the sphere I part is used. to keep the car'all stable, even when there are way too much fire ounia to be healthy.
Quote:
Fire magi often gather "balls or concentrations of fire ounia." Would this not possibly function along the same line?

This one I don't really get. What do you mean?
Quote:
The sudden influx of fire ounia meeting the water ounia would create an explosion similiar to water when it is dumped into a fire.

If you dump water into a fire, the fire will go out (not counting some metals), so I don't see the point here.

Quote:
I beleive this explanation exhibits all 3 spheres showing just how complex this spell truly is.

Yep. That's what makes it dangerous to cast.

Also, don't forget to have a look at the Newbie Information, Joining Requests and Recruitment. There have been lot's of changes lately, like mentors.

Val Incendarious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2005, 15:02:00 »

Quote:
This one I don't really get. What do you mean?

I apologize for how unclear this sounded, it was indeed late and my mind wandered a bit. It was only a reinforcement to the statement prior.

Quote:
If you dump water into a fire, the fire will go out (not counting some metals), so I don't see the point here.

What happens if the fire ouina is in greater supply than the water? It is a common occurence in the real world for water to be explosive when heated quickly. I will give 3 examples 1)Take a piece of limestone and place it in a bonfire .... the water content in the limestone will boil and cause the limestone itself to explode. "It is an easy experiment to try .... if you do try. "RUN" away from the fire it takes about 5 minutes for the limestone to reach it's blowing point. 2) A geyser at Yellowstone National Park is another fine example it is heated water that surges violently outward. 3) A person using a cutting torch is advised against this sooo ... do not try this at home. Light the torch with the flame on concrete, it boils the water molecules in the concrete and causes it to explode like a grenade.

Mind you this is only laws of average for a home fire. A 3000sq. ft. home is in flames, we will say that only a third of it is on fire. So you have 1000sq. ft. of fire, which would require an average use of 10,000 gallons of water to insure the fire extinguished. You are looking at 10 gallons of water to put out a 1 sq. ft. fire. Mind you this is a bit overkill but it is the average.  Even if you cut the average water usage to less than a third, to say 3 gallons. That is still a good amount of moisture for such a small surface area. Water is used to put out fires but the ratio it takes is in the fires favor. There is alot of water boiled off before it even hits the base of the fire, so when you say water would put out the fire. That is dependant on how much the ratio of each is to the other.

I would think if the laws of physics hold true, then by concentrating fire ouina on a rock substance it would have the same explosive effect as concrete or limestone. The reason many people use a steel base to light a cutting torch off of is because steel has the tensil strength to withstand rapid moisture expansion. Maybe an archmagi would even be capable of temperatures to make even steel react like this. I am not a physics major so I am not sure it is even possible.

On the assumption that some of what I said has a bit of truth to it. Would it be possible to see a magi of water running this hypothesis in reverse? By gathering water ouina, could it be released in measured amounts into a source of fire ouina (car'all) ?  Thereby not extinguishing the flame, but using it to turn the base water ouina, into a steaming hot vapor. Possibly using the last of the water ouina to create a boiling explosion, extinguishing the fire in the blast. (Note this is dependant upon an outside source high in fire ouina.)

"Life is a story waiting to be written. It is upto each of us to make it wonderful and exciting."
Val Incendarious CD

Edited by: Val Incendarious  at: 11/29/05 22:45
Val Incendarious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2005, 16:23:00 »

An last but not least ... this would be my apologies to you for posting in this thread to begin with. I followed your link for joining the forums, when last I was here this was not the case. I sincerely apologize to you and to the others for leaping before reading.

I have had 2 mentors previously on the boards but neither Rayne nor Silfer seem to be active. They are both fine teachers and have alot of knowledge in fields  I have great interests in. I will just study the Dev. boards and learn my way around a bit more and see if either of them return. Thank you for your insight and once again I am sorry.:  

Val Incendarious CD

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2005, 19:16:00 »

Well, I do lurk around, even if unseen. Do I know you from ages past, btw? (The "fine teachers" remark) Anyways, what can I do for you?

Val Incendarious

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2005, 19:07:00 »

"Silfer!" ~Thinks momentarily about a hug but decides against hugging the Archmagi. Deciding to just bow gracefully as golden curls cascade down to frame supple elven features~ "I would hope you would remember me .... Maybe not under this SN. Yet  I beleive this to be the one I was using then. An since you are here or kind of here .... I would like to have a mentor so that I could work on the boards ... if you have the time that is, M'Lord."

"Even a few words on my thoughts given above would at least be some guidance Sire." ~A mischivious grin dancing over crimson lips, a maelstrom rolling in the depths of her greys eyes. Her stare unwavering as she awaited his answer to her question or at least some rhetoric upon the issues discussed above.~

(If by some grace of heaven you would mentor me on the boards. I would change to my fire magi character. Since I beleive that was where I was last learning from you.)

Val Incendarious CD

Edited by: Val Incendarious  at: 11/30/05 2:15
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2005, 20:45:00 »

*Flattered by the kind words of Val, Silfer bows back* My memory must be faulty at the present - I shall surely remember as a bit of time passes. And you are too kind in titling me archmagi, but I thank you nevertheless. And sure, I can mentor you. Slip Artimidor a note in the joining requests board, so he can write you up as my apprentice.

As for the topic at hand: I agree with your thoughts about what would happen if something is heated, so that would work. Gathering water and dumping it onto a fire would also work - we have a spell for gathering water already, Water Extraction, and dumping it onto a fire is not a problem at all. Note however that this does NOT imply that you can strengthen the water ounia in a fire to cause that effect, because if you strengthen the water ounia, the fire ounia will dampen, and the fire will go out. There is a difference between physical and spiritual manipulation of things. So I would say also that fire ounia meeting water ounia is NOT the same as fire meeting water - they don't extinquish eachother unless you physically manifest them both as fire and water, but fire and water both are not pure one-element car'all, so I would not dare say at once, without thinking, what you get if you physically manifest pure water ounia, or if you could. (I doubt it, see below)

Also, I advise everyone to abandon the idea of counting ounia, and cease doing so at once - it won't get you anywhere at all. We do "add" car'all to existing car'all, but it is a foggy concept, and Sphere three. (This in relation to "balls of fire ounia" and the like)

However, Marvin's concept of this spell works too, Val, because the element of fire has chaos as a property, so by manipulating fire, you can make something explode, *grins*, magically.

Val, my IM is in my profile, by the way, should you need it. Also, you may want to look at Magic 101 and see if it tells you something you didn't know. If not, all the better.

Marvin: I am not sure if you can make it explode just by adding fire ounia - you would also need to enact the chaos aspect, by making the fire ounia dominating on the physical level. IMHO, of course.  

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 December 2005, 07:50:00 »

Quote:
What happens if the fire ouina is in greater supply than the water? It is a common occurence in the real world for water to be explosive when heated quickly. I will give 3 examples 1)Take a piece of limestone and place it in a bonfire .... the water content in the limestone will boil and cause the limestone itself to explode. "It is an easy experiment to try .... if you do try. "RUN" away from the fire it takes about 5 minutes for the limestone to reach it's blowing point. 2) A geyser at Yellowstone National Park is another fine example it is heated water that surges violently outward. 3) A person using a cutting torch is advised against this sooo ... do not try this at home. Light the torch with the flame on concrete, it boils the water molecules in the concrete and causes it to explode like a grenade.

This is different. The water is closed in a small space, so when it vaporates it creates a large pressure due to the larger volume. If you just throw water on a fire it will indeed just vaporate, but it will also lessen the fire and put it out when there's enough water.

Quote:
Marvin: I am not sure if you can make it explode just by adding fire ounia - you would also need to enact the chaos aspect, by making the fire ounia dominating on the physical level. IMHO, of course.

Creating a larger volume then before is actually the most common kind of explosion (mostly letting solid things become gas). This one however is purely based on energy, much like atomboms where pure energy causes the blast (somewhat less violent :) ).

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]