Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Conjure Wind, Wind School, Level I (mostly done)  (Read 12221 times)
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« on: 07 November 2005, 08:16:00 »

Finally, my first entry!  I guess it's about time, eh?  I hope this isn't too badly done.  Looks rather short to me too.  :      

Conjure Wind, Wind School, Level 1

This is one of the simplest wind spells.  As suggested by its name, it conjures up wind, which could range from a gentle breeze to a strong gale at the highest levels.  This spell can also be used to strengthen wind that already exists.  It is not unusual for wind magi to use this spell to cool themselves when it gets hot, or if for some reason they are wearing clothing meant for much cooler weather.  

Spell Effect
Air is sometimes described as Wind that is being still.  More accurately, the Earth ounia in a car'all that consists mainly of Wind ounia are exerting their influence in the form of causing stillness in the wind. What this spell does is increase the amount of influence the Wind ounia exert over the car'all, overcoming the stillness of Earth and turning air into wind.  The effect is temporary, however, the car'all  returning to its original state once the mage stops casting.  Thus, the wind dies down, becoming air once again.  

Casting Procedure
The caster focuses on the target area and concentrates on increasing the influence of the element of Wind, especially idea of movement, in the area, as well as defining the direction the wind is to blow in.  If a direction is not specified, the wind will blow in whichever is the most convenient direction.  At the same time, he or she takes some sand and lets it fall to the ground, signifying the decreasing influence of Earth on the car'all.  

Magical Formula  

Target
The target is simply the region of air where the caster wishes the wind to be, which could be around himself or herself, or some distance away.  Those particularly skilled with this spell can be even more specific than this, excluding certain parts of the target area or even targeting multiple areas.  

Reagents
Sand is the most commonly used reagent for this spell.  The mage holds an amount of sand in his or her hand and lets it fall to the ground, signifying the decrease of the influence of Earth on the car'all.  However, due to it's simplicity, reagents are usually not needed for casting this spell, except for beginning mages, or when casting the more powerful forms of the spell.  

Magical School
Wind

Spell Class
Physical representation of Sphere I

Range
From the area immediately around the caster to a distance away, as long is it is within the caster's line of sight.  The maximum depends on the level of the caster.  There is a balance between the distance from which the spell is cast, size of the target area, and strength of the wind conjured.  The greater one is, the lower the maximum for the other two gets.  A breeze around oneself is easily achievable for most, while strong winds covering a large area far away would be difficult even for an Archmage of Wind.  

Duration
As with all Sphere I spells, the duration is as long as the caster can sustain it, which in this case is dependent on the three prevoiusly mentioned factors of range, size of targeted area, and strength of wind conjured, as well as, of course, the power of the mage casting the spell.  The strongest mages are known to be able to keep a light breeze going around themselves almost indefinitely, while for those just starting to learn magic, durations of a few minutes are about the best they can do.  

Countermeasures/Enhancing Measures
Breaking the caster's concentration is the surest way of countering this spell.  Wind mages can also counter it by performing the reverse spell, reducing the influence of Wind in the target area, and Earth mages can increase the influence of Earth to make up for the increase in the influence of Wind.  

There are no direct enhancing measures, but as mentioned previously, if wind is already present, this spell can make the wind stronger.  Using some other method of generating wind, such as a fan, can thus be considered a sort of enhancing measure.  

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 12/4/05 23:23

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2005, 20:28:00 »

I am inclined, not to disagree, but to offer a second POV on the spell effect: Air is still when the wind ounia are passive on the physical level, as in dominated by the principle of ahm. To make it move you make it active (dominated by soor) and then apply direction/do not apply direction and get random movements.

Reagents: Heh, this is getting fun. With your explanation, Mina, sand will make a splendid reagent. It is listed as a wind reagent in the entry, but is also earth. Thus, take sand, let it fall to the ground, signifying the dampening of the earth influence (as the sand falls and lies still and low, so do the earth ounia).

With my explanation, I have more trouble, but perhaps a feather? As you move it trough the still air, it flutters trough it, and in turn moves the air, stirring it up, making it active.

Enhancing measures: First, a thought I had: If wind is present, it would tremendously help this spell. One is that what is in motion is easier to keep that way (terran physics). Two is that if you move a "slab" of air, it will bump into other still air and use energy to move it, thus you have a tapping of energy that would quicker tire the caster. If wind moves already, this tapping won't be as prominent.

As for direct enhancing measures: Well, magic enhancing stuff, of course, but it helps everything. ... But I fail to see anty enhancing measures here ATM too.

Oh, btw: Good job, keep it up, I shall expect more spells from you.

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2005, 03:28:00 »

Quote:
Air is still when the wind ounia are passive on the physical level, as in dominated by the principle of ahm.

Not so different from what I have here, I think, except in how it's worded.  Sphere 1, as far as I understand it, works by changing the degree of ahm or soor in the xeua links of the ounia of the caster's element.  A Sphere 1 spell that increases wind influence would essentially be making the xeua linking the wind ounia in the car'all together more soor.  However, I disagree that it is dominated by ahm.  The links between Wind ounia in air is already leaning quite strongly towards soor, I think, as air is generally very wind like, except that it lacks movement.  What this spell does is to make the links lean even more heavily towards soor, so whatever influene Earth has becomes almost negligible.  

Quote:
apply direction/do not apply direction and get random movements

Thanks for reminding me about direction.  That had slipped my mind.  

Sand sounds great  :D

Quote:
Two is that if you move a "slab" of air, it will bump into other still air and use energy to move it, thus you have a tapping of energy that would quicker tire the caster. If wind moves already, this tapping won't be as prominent.

I see it in a rather different way.  It seems to me that thinking of wind as movement of air or ounia is just mixing up physics and magic theory.  Wind is not the movement of anything.  Wind is movement itself, or the idea of movement.  Wind ounia aren't moving about when wind is blowing.  Instead, wind ounia carry with them the idea of movement.  Thus, movement is present whereever the element of Wind is dominant, except where the influence of another element 'twists' this dominance and reduces that particular quality of Wind, such as in the example of air that I provided above.  

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2005, 09:27:00 »

Quote:
I don't think we need to include formulae in our entries at the moment, do we?

Currently the formula system isn't like it should be yet, so we have to wait with adding formulas (at least that's what I've been told)

Things you could add:

How can you direct the wind? I assume that when you just augment the strength of the wind, without doing anything else, it will blow in the most convenient direction. Any way of forcing it to take a certain direction.

And how strong can you make it (roughly related to a level)? I assume a beginning mage could blow out a candle, but when will they be able to blow someone of his feet?

And could you make a wirlwind with it? After all, that's just a strong wind making circles, right?

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2005, 10:58:00 »

Mina: Well, even with the idea of movement, if you hit upon air without this idea, the idea would propagate and spread thin IMHO, so my reasonins applies still. But it was but a suggestion - tis not a big deal.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2005, 15:21:00 »

Checking here as well... Let's see...

- "If the target area is not within the caster's line of sight, the mage first has to visualise the area." - This sounds much too complicated for a rather simple Level I spell, even in advanced form. Targeting an area which you cannot directly access must be a Level III sphere spell.

- Yes, with th explanations you're mostly saying the same things I guess - a stronger influence of earth is there when the wind is passive and the other way round. But I also wouldn't necessarily say that "Air is Wind that is being still".  You even say that below, Mina, when you state that "Wind is movement". Air is Wind and thus constantly moving, only the active parts don't dominate over the passive ones in this case I'd say. If the active parts dominate, the connections to earth become passive.

- Rest seems quite ok with me, maybe some additions here and there as suggested above by Silfer & Marvin.

Oh, and nice to see a first official spell from you, Mina:D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2005, 10:17:00 »

@Arti: Well, at first, I was going to limit to to line of sight.  Then, I realised that if the mage was casting this spell around herself, roughly half the area targeted would not be visible, and somehow that led to me making it possible for this spell to be cast anywhere, as long as the caster can see or visualise the area.  I have no problems with changing it back though; it shouldn't be much work.  However, I'm curious about why such spells would be sphere 3.  

Well, I remember Rayne or one of the other magic people saying that air is wind being still, and no one contradicted that statement, so I assumed it to be more or less true.  It seemed to make sense too.  Basically, the way I see it is that air and wind are essentially the same thing, except that ai does not exhibit any sign of movement, due to the influence of Earth.  I guess you could think of it as an earth enchantment placed on wind, except not, since it's natural.  

I don't quite get what you mean by the active parts dominating or not dominating over the passive parts.  I'm guessing here that in the context of this spell, it's Wind that is the 'active part' and Earth the 'passive part', which would mean that in this case, what I described isn't that different from what you said.  In both air and wind, the element of Wind is dominant (in the sense of having a much greater amount of influence over the car'all than the other elements).  However, in air, Earth is not completely suppressed, and it still manages to exert its influence over the car'all in the form of causing stillness.  In wind, Wind is even more dominant, and whatever influence Earth has becomes negligible compared to that of Wind, so there are no outward signs of Earth influence at all.  In case I didn't get this across correctly, my idea for this spell was not that Earth is weakened, which isn't really possible for a wind mage anyway.  Instead, Wind is strengthened, so that relative to Wind, Earth has much less influence.  

@Marvin: Uhm...I just assumed that the wind would blow in whatever direction you wish it to.  Well, I don't see any other way it could be done, actually.  As for whirlwinds, yes, I think it should be doable, though more difficult than the normal form of the spell.  I'll add a bit abou this as well, unless it's decided that it's better to make it a different spell altogether.  Really, I'm not sure where the line between something being a variation of a spell and an entirely separate spell is drawn.  Edit: Changed my mind about this.  I suspect that complicated directions (eg. circles and other non-straight stuff) may all be sphere 3.  The reason is an old MSN discussion with Arti, in which he said that a normal unguided foreball would be sphere 2, but a fireball that follows a predefined path (or something like that - my memory isn't that good) would be sphere 3.  I'm not too clear about how and whether this applies here, so I'll wait for his word on this first.  

I was trying to be lazy with the strength of the wind and stuff like that, hence the vagueness.  :b    Given all the variables involved (level, strength, distance, size of area, and duration are the ones I can think of now), defining them would probably be a major headacle involving insanely complicated tables anyway.  Not something I have much interest in doing.  

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 11/10/05 17:29

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2005, 14:30:00 »

Targeted area not visible Such a spell would be sphere III, because its extremely advanced. It requires something extra from the spellcaster, which goes beyond the standard repertoire. Therefore it cannot be sphere I or II. Everything more complex (see also your last statements) I would say is sphere III.

As a simple rule of thumb one might try saying (maybe we can really simplify it that way, but I guess it's really not much more than that):

Sphere I: Constant energy drain from the caster (e.g. make something hotter, thus temporary, until the caster quits casting)
Sphere II: One-time power release (fireball)
Sphere III: Everything advanced (guided fireball, could be described as a power release plus a continued energy drain for the guiding, which could actually be another fire spell, e.g. level I called something like "Heat Attract", where something is moved towards a heat source)

Air = Wind being still: This is a simplification, but yes, wind that is extremely passive (having a strong earth counterbalance) could be described as "still". It's in the nature of wind however not to be still (just like it is in the nature of earth to be still), so if air is still moving wind, just slowed down extremely.

You say: "My idea for this spell was not that Earth is weakened, which isn't really possible for a wind mage anyway. Instead, Wind is strengthened, so that relative to Wind, Earth has much less influence." Precisely, nothing to add here.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2005, 14:38:00 »

But isn't the defining characteristic of sphere 3 the breaking and reforming of xeua links (in the form of adding, removing, or taking out and putting back in a different arrangement of ouns)?  I don't see this being necessary here.  It seems to be just sphere 1, with a higher power requirement.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2005, 14:51:00 »

If I tell you to take the mousepad from the table with your hand I guess you won't have a problem with that. If I tell you to take the mousepad from the table and you cannot see it would that be a simple "taking operation"? - Guess not.

You'd need to have some sort of spell combination to be able to achieve more than the intensifying of wind in an area. E.g. something like "Attract Wind" would work here. Attract Wind could pull more wind from the vicinity at one spot (add wind), which you then can use to "Conjure Wind" (=make the wind more dominant in that area).

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2005, 16:24:00 »

Arti, on the visibility topic: You did approve my Distract spell, where target must be in "line of awareness, be it sight, hearing, or otherwise". Also, Spheres have IMHo always been what Mina said - affecting something you don't see IS harder, but that would mean a higher level, certainly - not a different sphere.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2005, 16:16:00 »

Disagree. Grabbing something you don't see is a completely different kind of approaching reality. I think the explanation of combined spells is logical, but trying to quench the invisible thing in Sphere I has little to do with the main orientation of Sphere I, in fact nothing at all - it's something seperate and we should see it as such.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 11/10/05 23:22

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2005, 17:24:00 »

I have always thought tha the spheres were divided according to how the ouns and xeua were affected.  Were we wrong all along?  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 11 November 2005, 17:31:00 »

Where's the big problem/difficulty?

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 November 2005, 17:52:00 »

Don't have much time left, so I'l make this brief.  Take the example of conjuring wind at somewhere not within the line of sight.  It still works the same way we define sphere 1 spells work, rather than sphere 3 spells.  There is merely the added step of having to be able to visualise the area, and possibly greater difficulty casting since it's probably a great distance away.  None of this has to do with breaking and reforming xeua links, which is what defines a spell as a sphere 3 spell, as far as I understand.  

That's all I have time for now.  I'll be back only in a couple of days, at least, but I should still be able to view this from my mobile phone, if I have the time.  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]