Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Conjure Wind, Wind School, Level I (mostly done)  (Read 12331 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 30 November 2005, 14:16:00 »

- "Auratic contact": Manipulation of the target/focussing on something needs to be possible, not physical contact or something. With an earth-dominated wall between caster and target/focus I assume you'll have difficulties manipulating the fire behind that structure (and no idea how you'd focus that, but I said that before). Line of sight works mostly very well, simply because wind/air is the most flexible element in your way if you target something.

Back to the spell:

- "Air can be seen as Wind that is being still." still bothers me, because in the - so far unwritten - Wind entry we'll have to define Wind as movement as opposed to Earth, so I wouldn't state it that drastically. Passage only needs small amendments.

- "At the same time, she takes some sand..." Seems our mages are now mainly female... :lol

- "The target is simply the area where the caster wishes the wind to be, which could be around herself, or some distance away." You should make a difference between "target" and "focus", we've been very loose with these terms. I guess this is also something we should perhaps update at our spells scheme and say "Focus/Target". The focus doesn't necessarily need to be the target (see e.g. Fireball spell). The focus is where the magical action takes place, while the effect can affect targets as well. Here the caster would focus on a spot in the air, and the resulting wind would e.g. envelop the mage as the "targeted" person with the wind drawn from the focus.

- You also should mention that the focus is the air - you don't mention that.

- Rest sounds ok as already stated a while ago, you can add the integration arrow already. Would recommend in general though to mark changed passages with another colour to make it easier for commenters to see where there were modifications.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 December 2005, 00:21:00 »

Quote:
"Air can be seen as Wind that is being still." still bothers me, because in the - so far unwritten - Wind entry we'll have to define Wind as movement as opposed to Earth, so I wouldn't state it that drastically. Passage only needs small amendments.

Changed it somewhat.  Hopefully that would do.  

Quote:
"At the same time, she takes some sand..." Seems our mages are now mainly female...

Well, it's shorter than typing 'he or she', and I was feeling lazy, and most people use 'he' already anyway, so...

Quote:
"The target is simply the area where the caster wishes the wind to be, which could be around herself, or some distance away." You should make a difference between "target" and "focus", we've been very loose with these terms. I guess this is also something we should perhaps update at our spells scheme and say "Focus/Target". The focus doesn't necessarily need to be the target (see e.g. Fireball spell). The focus is where the magical action takes place, while the effect can affect targets as well.

Okay, I guess I get the difference between target and focus now, though I've always used 'target' for 'focus'.  I not sure we really need two separate terms anyway, since in cases where the target and focus are different, the target usually does not have to be specified anyway.  Fireball, for example, can be tarageted at just about anything, so it's rather pointless to state what it can target and what it can't anyway.  
Quote:
Here the caster would focus on a spot in the air, and the resulting wind would e.g. envelop the mage as the "targeted" person with the wind drawn from the focus.

This part is a little confusing to me.  To have the effect cover an area, rather than just a single point, isn't it necessary to focus on the entire region instead of a point in that region?  
Quote:
You also should mention that the focus is the air - you don't mention that.

I assumed it'd be rather obvious that if you want the spell to affect air, you're going to be focusing on the air, but I'll add that in.  
Quote:
Would recommend in general though to mark changed passages with another colour to make it easier for commenters to see where there were modifications.

I didn't know that was the usual practice here.  I usually find very colourful posts to be rather hard to read, so I didn't do that to make it easier on your eyes.  Changed too.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 01 December 2005, 16:40:00 »

"He or she" - just write it gender neutral like "the mage" - that's what I usually do... :biggrin

I guess the target/focus thing adds a good specification. We haven't made the distinction yet, but I guess it helps with explaining. For example with the "confusing part" you mention: A focus would always be a point methinks. Typical case here. At this point the energies would be "focussed", drawn to it, so that an area around this focus generates an effect. In this case the mage "tells" the focus: pull wind to this point, and thus an area around this point becomes windy. A spot is the focus, the target is the area affected by the spell working through the focus.

Coloured posts: Yup, we do that now in general, simply because it makes changed things much easier to find:)  No need to make it all extremely colourful, but seeing the differences has its advantages for commenters.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 December 2005, 16:46:00 »

Arti: Would it necessarily be a point? Either a point or an object I'd say - after all, if you want to levitate a rock, you would focus on the rock, not on a certain point - so I don't see a problem with focussing on objects too.

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 December 2005, 16:46:00 »

Uhm, pull wind to a point?  Wouldn't that make it sphere 3, or st least sphere 2?  I thought hat for sphere 1 you would be altering the links within the entire area, making the whole area thefocus.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 01 December 2005, 17:03:00 »

@Silfer: "Point" can be an "object" as well, yup.

@Mina: Well, a focus is a handle, something to grip on, a channel to exert one's powers. Might be that you grip an area here in this case as an "object" and treat it that way, no problem with that. The thing is that an element outside the focus can be affected within a certain radius of the focus. What I described would indeed fit better to another spell. Just leave it that way, and let's take into account that a focus can also be an object or an area, but that the effect can go beyond the focus.

Mina

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 December 2005, 17:38:00 »

Gee, I made a lot of typos in my last post.  Anyway, one last question.  How and why can the effect go beyond the focus?  I still don't get that.  

Now that this spell is done, I'm going to see if I can think up another one.  Hopefully I'll have something ready to show you guys by the come I'm back again in a couple of days.  :)  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]